Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello h2ofun and All,

Oxymoron .... http://www.breitbart.com/...their-mental-health/

Breitbart and Mental Health ....

That will keep your posts rollin' ............

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello h2ofun and All,

Oxymoron .... http://www.breitbart.com/...their-mental-health/

Breitbart and Mental Health ....

That will keep your posts rollin' ............

Thanks

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot help but think this is some weird bet between Dave and slowman.

Dave wants a free bike fit from slowman when he visits in the new year. Slowman has said "no way, but if you can get a 1000 post thread before then I'll consider it".

Slowman therefore has stayed out of the thread and has not shut it down when Frank Day appeared through Dave or there would be shouts of foul play.

Plus, plenty of clicks...

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jac2689 wrote:
I cannot help but think this is some weird bet between Dave and slowman.

Dave wants a free bike fit from slowman when he visits in the new year. Slowman has said "no way, but if you can get a 1000 post thread before then I'll consider it".

Slowman therefore has stayed out of the thread and has not shut it down when Frank Day appeared through Dave or there would be shouts of foul play.

Plus, plenty of clicks...

What are you talking about. Anyone can go to a roadshow event that ST does and get a free bike fit. SO, what is the issue?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an old fashioned conspiracy theory...

Maybe it should have been in pink so that it was even more obvious.

Carry on carrying on.

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
jac2689 wrote:
Something something ...

What are you talking about. Bla bla bla

Here's a hint. I've seen you do this before (I've actually been the target): Somebody says something you don't agree with. You reply with "What are you talking about?". Don't do that. It's a pretty aggressive thing to say and it only results in firing up the target potentially leading to a prolonged row. That's one of the reasons people consider you a troll.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
jac2689 wrote:
Something something ...

Here's a hint. I've seen you do this before (I've actually been the target): Somebody says something you don't agree with. You reply with "What are you talking about?". Don't do that. It's a pretty aggressive thing to say and it only results in firing up the target potentially leading to a prolonged row. That's one of the reasons people consider you a troll.

Now you can talk things anyway you want. Just asking what a person is talking about is just trying to find where there data is coming from. You can make it bigger than it is, but your choice. When I get accused of something that is not true, I think it is fair to ask what are you talking about.

Target, again, what are you talking about. Why would I waste my time making someone a "target"? Not something I would ever do. Life is too short.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
jac2689 wrote:
Something something ...

Now you can talk things anyway you want. Just asking what a person is talking about is just trying to find where there data is coming from. You can make it bigger than it is, but your choice. When I get accused of something that is not true, I think it is fair to ask what are you talking about.

Target, again, what are you talking about. Why would I waste my time making someone a "target"? Not something I would ever do. Life is too short.

In my world basic courtesy is a thing. In yours it obviously isn't; that's fine. You have to live in it, I don't. But realizing there are more people that live in my world than in yours may cause you to understand why people react to you the way they do.

And to answer your question: "target" may have been an overly aggressive word, you're right. How about "correspondent"?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tested this morning at 145mm on my 5 mile TT course. Sure is interesting trying shorter and shorter. Was able to get my seat height correct at 875mm and tried a 60mm bar drop.
But one thing I clearly notice with the shorter cranks is I cannot push with the gearing I use at 70 rpm. If I try a 50/12, the power goes towards 300 watts and I cannot push that. But if I use a 50/14, I can hold the rpm around 75.

Frank may be sending me an adapter to try down to 135 for the fun of it.

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
jac2689 wrote:
Something something ...

In my world basic courtesy is a thing. In yours it obviously isn't; that's fine. You have to live in it, I don't. But realizing there are more people that live in my world than in yours may cause you to understand why people react to you the way they do.

And to answer your question: "target" may have been an overly aggressive word, you're right. How about "correspondent"?

He completely lacks emotional intelligence and any capacity for self reflection. These ā€˜discussionsā€™ with him are just a giant pile of hypocritical BS being spewed constantly.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
He completely lacks emotional intelligence and any capacity for self reflection. These ā€˜discussionsā€™ with him are just a giant pile of hypocritical BS being spewed constantly.

See Lavender Room.

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the oldest problem in internet forums is attention seeking behavior
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I tested this morning at 145mm on my 5 mile TT course. Sure is interesting trying shorter and shorter. Was able to get my seat height correct at 875mm and tried a 60mm bar drop.
But one thing I clearly notice with the shorter cranks is I cannot push with the gearing I use at 70 rpm. If I try a 50/12, the power goes towards 300 watts and I cannot push that. But if I use a 50/14, I can hold the rpm around 75.

As noted by another poster, your seat height is now up 55 mm from where you started when you were on the 200 cranks. In the real world (i.e. out on the road) that is going to affect your bike handling because you've raised your centre of gravity substantially.

What you're doing right now, is exactly what your thread title says. You're finding the best crank length to use on your Velotron, not the best crank length for use in real rides during a race. I suggest you take your 145 or 150mm setup out on the road to ride a real TT course or your hilly loop and see how maintainable that position is when you have to look up and around while keeping your bike in its lane. When you do, borrow a power tap wheel, or a pedal or crank based power meter, so you have a hard data point for that effort. Frank says power meters don't make you faster, and that is true, but they do tell you exactly how hard you worked (or how hard you are currently working) and that is valuable data. RPE and heart rate can be influenced by many factors... power meters will tell you part of what you want to know.

As far as your results go (in your spreadsheet) - there is nothing surprising in there. You're averaging higher power and therefore going faster. That could be due to your setup changes, or it could just be that riding at higher power levels every day for the last six weeks is improving your bike fitness. All that time you previously spent at 120 watts did not ever do anything to improve you as a racer.

Everything that you need to know and to do, to improve your cycling results, and to establish your best bike fit, was already suggested to you in the first couple of dozen posts in this thread. Read it all again.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

As noted by another poster, your seat height is now up 55 mm from where you started when you were on the 200 cranks. In the real world (i.e. out on the road) that is going to affect your bike handling because you've raised your centre of gravity substantially.

What you're doing right now, is exactly what your thread title says. You're finding the best crank length to use on your Velotron, not the best crank length for use in real rides during a race. I suggest you take your 145 or 150mm setup out on the road to ride a real TT course or your hilly loop and see how maintainable that position is when you have to look up and around while keeping your bike in its lane. When you do, borrow a power tap wheel, or a pedal or crank based power meter, so you have a hard data point for that effort. Frank says power meters don't make you faster, and that is true, but they do tell you exactly how hard you worked (or how hard you are currently working) and that is valuable data. RPE and heart rate can be influenced by many factors... power meters will tell you part of what you want to know.

As far as your results go (in your spreadsheet) - there is nothing surprising in there. You're averaging higher power and therefore going faster. That could be due to your setup changes, or it could just be that riding at higher power levels every day for the last six weeks is improving your bike fitness. All that time you previously spent at 120 watts did not ever do anything to improve you as a racer.

Everything that you need to know and to do, to improve your cycling results, and to establish your best bike fit, was already suggested to you in the first couple of dozen posts in this thread. Read it all again.

I was doing the 120 watt spinning for recover as I have read various pro's say should be done. One cannot hammer their legs 7 days a week and expect to survive.

Fair thoughts and my bike setup. Yes, shall be interesting to see what happens. I raced two at 175 with a 840 set with no issues, compared to around an 805 I was ridding with the 200's.

Since I am riding short and long, back and forth per day, how do you explain my 175 cranks are like 10% less power than my 150's? And I continue to ask these kinds of questions since I am seeking to understand, not get in fight like SO many seem to want to do on this thread. They may all know the right answer, but I do not and will not accept answers that are given as my way or the wrong way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, what is the shortest anyone has raced with? Have any safety issues, like handling because of this?
what did you do with your RPM rate?

Where did you get shorter cranks?

Since many have said they tried, but when back, what specific data do you have that showed the shorter cranks made your race performance worse?

What distance racing did you do this in?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should use 170mm and forget about it. Thank me later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I was doing the 120 watt spinning for recover as I have read various pro's say should be done. One cannot hammer their legs 7 days a week and expect to survive.
You're not a pro (and neither am I, at least not in the field of sports physiology). Your other rides, at 80% FTP or so average, are not "hammering".

h2ofun wrote:
Since I am riding short and long, back and forth per day, how do you explain my 175 cranks are like 10% less power than my 150's?

Quite simply, for some reason you're working harder when you ride the short cranks. Your heart rate is higher for these efforts, correlating with the higher power. One problem with a lot of these test results is that because they are substantially sub-threshold, you can pretty much generate any number set you like, and it does not necessarily reflect that one configuration is "better" for you than another.

Go do Sufferfest's Full Frontal or an equivalent multi-faceted threshold test. Where it says "go all out", go ALL OUT. When you're done, you'll know what you are capable of, in the limit. You can use that as benchmarks for your follow-on efforts both when you're looking at fit, and to set your efforts for actual training.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
You should use 170mm and forget about it. Thank me later.

Why?

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

You're not a pro (and neither am I, at least not in the field of sports physiology). Your other rides, at 80% FTP or so average, are not "hammering".

h2ofun wrote:

Since I am riding short and long, back and forth per day, how do you explain my 175 cranks are like 10% less power than my 150's?

Quite simply, for some reason you're working harder when you ride the short cranks. Your heart rate is higher for these efforts, correlating with the higher power. One problem with a lot of these test results is that because they are substantially sub-threshold, you can pretty much generate any number set you like, and it does not necessarily reflect that one configuration is "better" for you than another.

Go do Sufferfest's Full Frontal or an equivalent multi-faceted threshold test. Where it says "go all out", go ALL OUT. When you're done, you'll know what you are capable of, in the limit. You can use that as benchmarks for your follow-on efforts both when you're looking at fit, and to set your efforts for actual training.

How old are you? What most young folks do not get is when you get old like me, the goal is not to hammer anything!! The goal is to just stay healthy and get to the starting line.
I love it when older folks I know get hurt and tell me yep Dave, you are 100% correct. Training when older as if one is still young gets most on the sidelines.

As I continue to say, for folks I compete against in my AG, my bike times are pretty good. I beat most folks locally. I only get my butt kicked my some at the world level. I will take that as being okay.

To be honest, when I hear these comments, I always think about Dev. He always beat the crap out of me when I said that racing well older is hard, and we shall see how he does, if he even makes it racing older. Well, ..... It takes a LOT of luck to race older, etc.

So, if all my training and racing is SO bad, why are my USAT results in my AG so good? 8th triathlon, 3rd duathlon, 1st aquathlon? Shows not many folks are better overall athletes in my AG, but I guess results do not matter?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote: "As noted by another poster, your seat height is now up 55 mm from where you started when you were on the 200 cranks. In the real world (i.e. out on the road) that is going to affect your bike handling because you've raised your centre of gravity substantially. ...

Everything that you need to know and to do, to improve your cycling results, and to establish your best bike fit, was already suggested to you in the first couple of dozen posts in this thread. Read it all again.ā€

Maybe, maybe not. While he has raised his seat he is also lowering his handlebars and since the head is one of the heavier elements of the body the actual center of gravity is probably changing very little. I have had reports back from many athletes who have made this seemingly dramatic change and not one has mentioned issues with bike handling. Undoubtably there could be issues (the CG is moved forward because as the head comes down it also rotates forward) but I suspect all of these are easily solved by changing the bike fit.

So, letā€™s see. You are attributing a 40 watt (20%, 180-220) or so increase in power in this already elite athlete to the fact that he has just increased his power in training for 6 weeks or so, is that correct? Seems easy enough. Why donā€™t you try it and report back. I might also point out two things. 1. The first several weeks all of the efforts were at a constant power, 200 watts but somehow he is now riding 220 watts. 2. That his highest power on these aero tests is only on the really short cranks, longer cranks cause a 20 watt drop. If this were simply a fitness change how do you explain that?

Any theory, to be correct, must correctly explain all the associated phenomenon.

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Big Endian wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

h2ofun wrote:

How old are you? What most young folks do not get is when you get old like me, the goal is not to hammer anything!! The goal is to just stay healthy and get to the starting line.
I love it when older folks I know get hurt and tell me yep Dave, you are 100% correct. Training when older as if one is still young gets most on the sidelines.

As I continue to say, for folks I compete against in my AG, my bike times are pretty good. I beat most folks locally. I only get my butt kicked my some at the world level. I will take that as being okay.

To be honest, when I hear these comments, I always think about Dev. He always beat the crap out of me when I said that racing well older is hard, and we shall see how he does, if he even makes it racing older. Well, ..... It takes a LOT of luck to race older, etc.

So, if all my training and racing is SO bad, why are my USAT results in my AG so good? 8th triathlon, 3rd duathlon, 1st aquathlon? Shows not many folks are better overall athletes in my AG, but I guess results do not matter?

None of this is relevant to the task at hand and adds an unnecessary emotional aspect that will clutter up your effort. Past results are irrelevant to identifying your optimized bike setup. Remove the "I was right-ism" approach and roll with what you're doing.

You and Frank have an process. Go through it. Post results. Collect high fives.
Last edited by: ctflower: Dec 7, 17 9:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any way to block a banned poster on ST?

Like you, I'm just asking questions and having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank, you have zero data to support a claim that Dave has ā€˜eliteā€™ level bike fitness. You have zero performance tests, zero race data. You also have so many changing factors within a day and even more between days, that any attempt to connect the dots is guessing based on both of your well established biases.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [ctflower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ctflower wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Big Endian wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

h2ofun wrote:

None of this is relevant to the task at hand and adds an unnecessary emotional aspect that will clutter up your effort. Past results are irrelevant to identifying your optimized bike setup. Remove the "I was right-ism" approach and roll with what you're doing.

You and Frank have an process. Go through it. Post results. Collect high fives.

My point was you accused me of not "hammering" training which has me ask you just do not get how old folks need to train, and still get to the starting line. Log this in when you get older and see if you are still racing. Sorry, just being honest.

I have no idea our how testing will end up, so I have no reason to collect high fives. This is not a contest. This is just trying to share my real data with others. Folks can do with it what they want. I am just showing that I was probably flat out wrong with my thoughts all these years needing to use longer cranks to do well. Crow tastes pretty bad.
So trust me, I will not use shorter cranks just to be an ass, or I told you so, or to make Frank happy! I will use crank length, and bike fit, that the numbers in my various testing show are the best. Then we will try racing with and see if Franks process worked, or we need to make some adjustments. I am loving this stuff!! Now at least whatever I do with cranks and bike setup, I have data to show changes and why I am racing with something! We still do not know the answer, but we keep trying.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank, where is the entry/exit test to show a 40 watt increase? What testing process is showing that increase? What are the other factors (hr in this case since you have no max efforts). How are you ruling out adaptation to the testing process?
Quote Reply

Prev Next