Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
As a tall person, my center of gravity has always been higher than a normal person to start with. So how would one determine what is good or bad for center of gravity?
It would seem that for this, using the 200's to have my seat as low as possible would be the best?

A good rule of thumb is, what crank length did the manufacturer spec? Hard to believe, but bike manufacturers often take things like what crank length is going to be used when designing a bike, as well as the expected height range of the rider. Those numbers on the geometry charts aren't just random numbers. A few mm doesn't matter that much, but several cm can really start to affect things.

As for going lower, the CPSC has our hands tied. There is a minimum cornering clearance required, throwing 200mm cranks on bike with a standard 70mm BB drop is way outside of that limit. There is one production bike that I know of that is designed for 200mm cranks (KHS Flite747), the BB drop on that bike is 25mm higher than on their bikes designed for 175mm cranks. So your ground clearance, and center of gravity, would be the same...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You train 3 hours per day. That's the big thing you do right, and that's 90% of the battle right there. You really need to compare yourself to others who are training similar volumes. There aren't that many of you.

I only do about 2 hours a day now, wussing out.

But yea, as I was running, when I did not want to this morning, I just keep thinking my competition is out in the cold also, so it keeps me going.

But yep, frequency, consistency, duration will win for most folks.

At my age, not many race at all, let alone train daily. I am blessed and am thankful everyday. Today is not a dry run for tomorrow.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
It really amazes me that most of you have missed the entire point of this exercise which really involves 3 phases.

Phase one was to find the pedal speed that gave Dave the best efficiency so he would optimize his power.
Phase two is to find the longest crank length that allows him to get into a very aero position without losing much power from his upright, most powerful position.
Phase three would then be to calculate the cadence necessary to ride at his optimum pedal speed at the crank length that works best for him (and to retest to confirm we got it right). In addition, we are trying to take into account his historical issue with back and knee pain especially in the aero position.

My guess right now is the crank length that fits the above criteria will be between 150 and 130 mm. We know there is hardly any difference in these lengths in his Martis performance. Until we see pictures of where he is now it is hard to know how much tweaking might be left to improve his aerodynamics.

Frank Day

This would have been a great primer in post one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

All great points.

I just keep thinking, if I come back and say I had no issues, I just know some folks will say I am wrong.

So lets take an example, descending. I DO NOT like going down anything over 30 mph! Does this mean anything negative? Some will try to spin it that way. But I just do not like the risk of riding downhill fast. Has nothing to do with bike fit, my handling skills, etc. But of course many say I am wrong.

I just see too many get hurt riding outside. I just have zero interest in riding outside other than in races where clearly, I have no choice. If this means I am not as "good" as I could be, great. I make up for this by frequency, consistency, duration training.
I'd use your previous cycling experiences as a baseline to compare to the feel of the new fit. If you don't like going downhill at 30+ you don't like going downhill at 30+. No big deal there your comfort is your comfort.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

As a tall person, my center of gravity has always been higher than a normal person to start with. So how would one determine what is good or bad for center of gravity?
It would seem that for this, using the 200's to have my seat as low as possible would be the best?

A good rule of thumb is, what crank length did the manufacturer spec? Hard to believe, but bike manufacturers often take things like what crank length is going to be used when designing a bike, as well as the expected height range of the rider. Those numbers on the geometry charts aren't just random numbers. A few mm doesn't matter that much, but several cm can really start to affect things.

As for going lower, the CPSC has our hands tied. There is a minimum cornering clearance required, throwing 200mm cranks on bike with a standard 70mm BB drop is way outside of that limit. There is one production bike that I know of that is designed for 200mm cranks (KHS Flite747), the BB drop on that bike is 25mm higher than on their bikes designed for 175mm cranks. So your ground clearance, and center of gravity, would be the same...

I have never seen a mfg spec shorter cranks, have you?

I just went to the cervelo site, and looked at the P3 specs. Does not even talk about what crank length comes with the bike, let alone, different lengths
based on different sizes.

I had looked at having a bike made with a higher BB, but the building said it would mess up center of gravity and if built, would take no liability.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [ctflower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ctflower wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
It really amazes me that most of you have missed the entire point of this exercise which really involves 3 phases.

Phase one was to find the pedal speed that gave Dave the best efficiency so he would optimize his power.
Phase two is to find the longest crank length that allows him to get into a very aero position without losing much power from his upright, most powerful position.
Phase three would then be to calculate the cadence necessary to ride at his optimum pedal speed at the crank length that works best for him (and to retest to confirm we got it right). In addition, we are trying to take into account his historical issue with back and knee pain especially in the aero position.

My guess right now is the crank length that fits the above criteria will be between 150 and 130 mm. We know there is hardly any difference in these lengths in his Martis performance. Until we see pictures of where he is now it is hard to know how much tweaking might be left to improve his aerodynamics.

Frank Day

This would have been a great primer in post one.

I will add to post one

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [ctflower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ctflower wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

All great points.

I just keep thinking, if I come back and say I had no issues, I just know some folks will say I am wrong.

So lets take an example, descending. I DO NOT like going down anything over 30 mph! Does this mean anything negative? Some will try to spin it that way. But I just do not like the risk of riding downhill fast. Has nothing to do with bike fit, my handling skills, etc. But of course many say I am wrong.

I just see too many get hurt riding outside. I just have zero interest in riding outside other than in races where clearly, I have no choice. If this means I am not as "good" as I could be, great. I make up for this by frequency, consistency, duration training.

I'd use your previous cycling experiences as a baseline to compare to the feel of the new fit. If you don't like going downhill at 30+ you don't like going downhill at 30+. No big deal there your comfort is your comfort.

Once Frank gives a suggestion for cranks to try, yep, I will somehow get on my race bike and take a ride a ride around my hilly community before I do my first race which is in some real tough hills. Good point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

I just went to the cervelo site, and looked at the P3 specs. Does not even talk about what crank length comes with the bike, let alone, different lengths

I had looked at having a bike made with a higher BB, but the building said it would mess up center of gravity and if built, would take no liability.

QR goes slightly shorter, using 165s where most companies use 170-172.5, and 170s where others use 175. The big problem with production bikes is that the vast majority of OEM cranks produced are in the 170-175 range, with a few going down to 165. So production bikes get spec'd with cranks in that range, and frames are designed around that.

However, many tri bikes are being designed with lower BBs than before, even if they aren't spec'ing shorter cranks. Current Cervelo BB drop is 75mm, a bit lower than standard road geometry and 15mm lower than the older P2/P3.

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

QR goes slightly shorter, using 165s where most companies use 170-172.5, and 170s where others use 175. The big problem with production bikes is that the vast majority of OEM cranks produced are in the 170-175 range, with a few going down to 165. So production bikes get spec'd with cranks in that range, and frames are designed around that.

However, many tri bikes are being designed with lower BBs than before, even if they aren't spec'ing shorter cranks. Current Cervelo BB drop is 75mm, a bit lower than standard road geometry and 15mm lower than the older P2/P3.

Interesting.

Again, I just looked at one company, Cervelo, one bike, the P3, and it says nothing about crank length. Never heard from any bike shop I have been in that folks have a choice, it is what comes with the bike, and most are yep, around 170.

Interesting BB's are being lowered. Any idea why?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, latest bike fit.

145mm cranks. 875 seat height from BB. 495mm from seat nose to AB edge pads. Seat nose is 95mm back from BB. Aero bars are 80mm down from seat

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was this the best crank length?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

At least in the case of the last tri bike I designed, to bring the center of gravity down slightly. A little more stable regardless of crank length used, and a little bit better if going shorter. I'm assuming that is the same reason everyone else did...

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
Was this the best crank length?

Have not answered this yet. I would have done 150 but the Velotron to take video on is 145mm so thought that was close enough for now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

At least in the case of the last tri bike I designed, to bring the center of gravity down slightly. A little more stable regardless of crank length used, and a little bit better if going shorter. I'm assuming that is the same reason everyone else did...

Makes sense. Guess I have not experienced anything I would relate to center of gravity issues yet, even though I maybe missing.
I know I have had the shakes on some other bikes before which scared the heck out of me. One of many reasons I will not allow myself
to go fast on down hills. Blowing out a front tire was another.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a video with a decent bike top on.

145mm cranks. 80mm drop.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you reproduce that fit on your real bike ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

145mm cranks. 80mm drop.

Your cranks look too short
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

145mm cranks. 80mm drop.

You are not taking advantage of the shorter cranks for a more aero flat back position. How much weight do you have on the arm rests.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

I don't think there's a tri bike on the market that would allow for that exact position. Even an XL Shiv would be too long and low.

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Is there a part of this fit to move to my race bikes I should be concerned with?

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [perfection] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perfection wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

145mm cranks. 80mm drop.

You are not taking advantage of the shorter cranks for a more aero flat back position. How much weight do you have on the arm rests.

I was expecting this. When I see others post their video, I am looking to see if anyone makes comments on their backs, including Dan which seems to make fit comments
on all other threads. :) But I never seem to see anyone comment about flat back stuff most of the time.

I have a bad back. There is NO NO way I am going to ever have a flat back at my age. The shorter cranks have allowed me to get the cranks over the top correctly while in the
aero position. I was not able to do this with 200's, as proven with my testing with powercranks.

Not sure how to answer question about weight on the arm rests. How do I answer this?

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogchili94 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

145mm cranks. 80mm drop.

Your cranks look too short

Why do the cranks look too short?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
marcag wrote:

I don't think there's a tri bike on the market that would allow for that exact position. Even an XL Shiv would be too long and low.

What with this fit exactly would a bike not be able to reproduce? I have not tried yet, but if this is something missing before I try, I sure need to consider
how to deal with.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

I have a bad back. There is NO NO way I am going to ever have a flat back at my age.

Dave,

Here's a place where an experienced fitter might well help you out a great deal. Your back looks as if it's in a very comfortable orientation in the video and if you were able to just rotate your front end downward by how your pelvic rami interfaced with an appropriate saddle you could maintain that orientation and would not need to arch your back in a way that "hurt it" . As you get lower in the front end your neck strength and forward visibility will end up limiting things before your back ought to.

I suspect you're going to tell me your saddle is just fine but as a 64 year old with a really wrecked back I'll have to say that sitting on the "right saddle" the "right way" makes all the difference in the world in regards to getting low and not having back pain.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Dec 29, 17 9:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I have a bad back. There is NO NO way I am going to ever have a flat back at my age. The shorter cranks have allowed me to get the cranks over the top correctly while in the
aero position. I was not able to do this with 200's, as proven with my testing with powercranks.

I also have a really bad back, and I've fit a lot of people with really bad backs. I'm a lot lower than you are, but I don't bend over any more than you are. The difference is that I'm rolled forward, while you're sitting back. Your saddle in these videos is mounted at about 72 degrees, as positioned you're riding a road bike, not a tri bike. Bolt a set of aerobars on a Specialized Roubaix and you'd pretty much have the same position you've got here. In fact, if this is the position you're going to race with, you'd be much better off on a road bike. It'll fit better, handle better, and as a bonus you'd now be able to get disc brakes at a P2 price...

Quote Reply

Prev Next