Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Jgill wrote:
Trainer road had a podcast that you may want to consider before continuing this discussion.
Is Higher Cadence Better, How Crank Length Affects Power, + More — Ask a Cycling Coach
Are your crank lengths impacting your performance? We have answers in a recent live recording of the Ask a Cycling Coach podcast!
https://video.buffer.com/...2ae7fc7ffc0d568e5327

And I will continue to say, all I care about are results. And until all these folks who follow these "experts" beat me in races, well talk is cheap, ....

Sounds like most are afraid to try new stuff, and I did the same thing for years about cranks. Maybe after a year nothing will improve, but I sure will learn
a lot about what seems to work or not work for me. Either way, I am having FUN!!!!

I follow (and learn from) the many experts on this forum.....it's the main reason I come here.

Do you realize that Dan Empfield, findinfreestyle, Tom A, Bjorn, Jim Martin, Monty, Jasoninhalifax, are just some of the really smart folks on this forum that have all contributed suggestions in this thread?

Frank Day is not one I would consider credible. I would place him in more of the "crackpot" category...

Take that for what it's worth....from someone who regularly finishes ahead of you in the rankings and races.

Yep, you kick my butt. Congrads on being such a stud. I am just a BOP racer by your standards.

I also consider if a person attacks other since they think they are smarter than another person.

"smart" is an interesting term. I retired at 52, does that make me smart? :)

Hold on a minute...on one hand, you say this.. "And I will continue to say, all I care about are results. And until all these folks who follow these "experts" beat me in races, well talk is cheap, .... '

So as someone who does beat you in races, I offer my 2cents and say listen to the smart folks on this forum and lose Mr Day... and you think I'm attacking you?

It's advice, Dave. It's a suggestion. It's not an attack.

Did I say YOU were attacking me? I did not!!! Yes, you are an amazing athlete! I have not seen you attacking others, not that I looked, but I assume the positive.

And I did take your input. I just added, as my 2 cents, the top folks I like to interface with have no ego, no my way or the high way, not attacks. When folks ask for my ideas on how they might get better, I always say here is what I do but this may not work for you!!!

I also like to take advice from older folks, who are able to race NOW at a high level, since, ...

So, what length cranks do you use? What RPM do you spin? Have you ever tried any other combo and have any data as to impact?

Thanks

Sorry for the misinterpretation of your response...glad to read that you didn't think I was attacking you; cause I wasn't.
My set up and #'s are not applicable to your set up. I'm 5'7' and 160lbs. Your 6'5" and 160lbs. Two different zip codes.
My suggestion to you was to not look to Mr Day for the next generation of you. Look to Dan or Dave Luscan, or Jim Martin. Pick one and go with it.

Good luck with this, Dave. From what I can see and how I interpret the findings so far, I think you'll be better in 2018 than you were in 2017....Move on from Frank D and, in my opinion, you'll be even farther along.

Cleveland would be a great test for these
changes. Think about it.

I have been working with frank for years. I love that he likes to think outside the box. He is honest. Is willing to stick up to the bullies and snowflakes. I wish he had more tact but since i continue to try to improve in this area who am i to talk.

Dan is not even willing to have an open mind and join in. All the other ecperts just want to attack. This just gets me to dig in more since i have never been a lemming in life.

All the others would have just said use 175 cranks. I am really starting to like the shorter stuff and am committed to letting frank tell me what to use when race season starts.

Cleveland had no interest with the wife. Next couple world spots no interest to wife. Going to save the money and go with family to Disneyland 5 times in a 12 month period. Plus until usat puts them on the west coast again.

Hope our paths cross someday to race. I love to race against the best since it makes me race hardet to try and stay close.

Congrats on your numbet 1 usat ranking. So glad you beat moats.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I just found the one guy on Strava. I could not for the life of me log THAT many miles indoors on any kind of trainer living in CA with the weather they have for any purpose like cranks or even an IM race. And do soooooo many treadmill miles and miles on the same route.

I'd shoot myself in the face.

Why are there literally like no outdoor rides?

Also tons of seeming manual entries with no power and no HR. There are velotron rides with data from Strava users. Why not this one?

A super expensive velotron but no watch or bike computer/pm/hrm data? I'm a schmuck nobody, but I've got data that says I'm a schmuck nobody.

I'm done reading this.......

H2O Fun actually is in a well known CA facility where they tend to "contain" people for their own sake (jokingly also referred to as a "Country Club").

As he is behaving quite well (outside of trolling the Interwebs) by cycling and running his brains out in place, he is now and then allowed outside for racing (only in USA[T] kit, which contains a sewn in tracer) in a controlled environment.

So we can all stop speculating about the "why" and "for what reason".

I have to admit that I haven't figured out yet what incident caused him to end up at the place with Frank Day, but these posts give me at least a pretty good idea why.
Last edited by: windschatten: Dec 8, 17 23:52
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's part of their group therapy. You seen one flew over.......
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
I just found the one guy on Strava. I could not for the life of me log THAT many miles indoors on any kind of trainer living in CA with the weather they have for any purpose like cranks or even an IM race. And do soooooo many treadmill miles and miles on the same route.

I'd shoot myself in the face.

Why are there literally like no outdoor rides?

Also tons of seeming manual entries with no power and no HR. There are velotron rides with data from Strava users. Why not this one?

A super expensive velotron but no watch or bike computer/pm/hrm data? I'm a schmuck nobody, but I've got data that says I'm a schmuck nobody.

I'm done reading this.......

H2O Fun actually is in a well known CA facility where they tend to "contain" people for their own sake (jokingly also referred to as a "Country Club").

As he is behaving quite well (outside of trolling the Interwebs) by cycling and running his brains out in place, he is now and then allowed outside for racing (only in USA[T] kit, which contains a sewn in tracer) in a controlled environment.

So we can all stop speculating about the "why" and "for what reason".

I have to admit that I haven't figured out yet what incident caused him to end up at the place with Frank Day, but these posts give me at least a pretty good idea why.

And they keep it lit up so I cannot escape

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stringcheese wrote: “blah blah blah...My suggestion to you was to not look to Mr Day for the next generation of you. Look to Dan or Dave Luscan, or Jim Martin. Pick one and go with it.

Good luck with this, Dave. From what I can see and how I interpret the findings so far, I think you'll be better in 2018 than you were in 2017....Move on from Frank D and, in my opinion, you'll be even farther along.”

I am a little confused as to exactly what you find so awful about what I am doing with Dave and exactly what recommendation Dan, Dave L, or Jim Martin have given him that would take him beyond where he is now? You do realize that what I am doing is based on Jim Martins work don’t you? (Determinants of metabolic cost during submaximal cycling, J. McDaniel, J. L. Durstine, G. A. Hand, J. C. Martin, Journal of Applied Physiology Published 1 September 2002 Vol. 93 no. 3, 823-828 http://jap.physiology.org/content/93/3/823.long) Unfortunately, Jim Martin didn’t recognize what was hidden in this work as near as I can tell.

Here is figure 4 from that paper.

The black squares represent the power required to just make the pedals go around at different pedal speeds. That is an energy (oxygen) cost that never gets to the wheel and involves essentially zero force on the pedals. This represents the verage of all the subjects. I would expect the curve to be higher for big people and lower for smaller people. I would like to point out that Dave’s pedal speed last year during his Martis testing was about 1.42 m/s whereas his pedal speed after my intervention was about 1.19 m/s. As I read that chart the cost of pedaling is about 150 watts at 1.42 m/s and about 120 watts at 1.19 m/s. This is a 30 watt difference and we saw an average of a 23 watt improvement. Coincidence I guess.

This data was published 15years ago in 2002. Exactly what recommendations has any of the individuals named by you made as a result of this paper other than Dr. Martin’s “crank length doesn’t matter” recommendation?

Oh, and if you are going to refer to me using a title I would prefer the one I earned, Dr. - I did all that work, which helps me understand all this stuff, so I think I deserve a little credit. Thank you.
Frank Day

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun = frank day wrote:
As I read that chart the cost of pedaling is about 150 watts at 1.42 m/s and about 120 watts at 1.19 m/s. This is a 30 watt difference and we saw an average of a 23 watt improvement. Coincidence I guess.
Read the axis title carefully and you will see that we reported Metabolic Watts not mechanical watts. If you want to equate metabolic watts to mechanical watts you'll need to divide by about 5 (gross efficiency = ~ 20%). So what you see in the figure would equate to ~ 6 mechanical watts but that would only be true if the r2 value was 1. The r2 is actually 0.55 so you can't make a robust inference. We could give it about half the effect (as a SWAG) and then the effect might be around 3 watts. So, yes, I agree that your 23 watt change is a coincidence.
h2ofun = frank day wrote:
I earned, Dr. - I did all that work, which helps me understand all this stuff
Uh huh..
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BioMcGeek wrote: "Read the axis title carefully and you will see that we reported Metabolic Watts not mechanical watts. If you want to equate metabolic watts to mechanical watts you'll need to divide by about 5 (gross efficiency = ~ 20%). So what you see in the figure would equate to ~ 6 mechanical watts but that would only be true if the r2 value was 1. The r2 is actually 0.55 so you can't make a robust inference. We could give it about half the effect (as a SWAG) and then the effect might be around 3 watts. So, yes, I agree that your 23 watt change is a coincidence.”

Thanks for that clarfication Dr. Martin. However, as you might expect, I don’t entirely agree with your conclusion. First, you do not disagree that pedal speed can affect power, all you disagree with is the amount of the effect since that was metabolic watts and not mechanical power watts. Are you sure of this. Wasn’t this calculated from the residual from the mechanical watts, was that calculation multiplied by 5? If not then this represents actual watts cost in equivalent metabolic oxygen cost. The devil is in the details. As I stated, that curve reflects the average of all the participants and I theorized that for bigger people the curve would be higher. The other issue is the shape of the curve. Eyeball suggests that it would intersect the Y coordinate between 25 and 50 when, in fact, it has to intersect at zero. This is reflected in the r^2 value but that doesn’t mean nothing can be inferred from this data as r^2 is never 1.

Even if you are correct (which I doubt as our experience is those who reliably see more than 3-6 watt increases) and the advantage here should only be 3-6 watts (and the rest of the improvement Dave is seeing is from something else) are you saying those are 3-6 watts he should ignore? I know you thought the difference between 145 and 175 cranks was small so it was ok for riders to ignore that potential. Do you recommend that those reading this thread ignore the possibility of an easy 3-6 watt increase because you think it small? Do you think this advantage should be ignored because, well because it it just so strange to ride slower cadences and you didn’t think of it? Do you think efficiency is important? (some here don’t).

Thanks for joining in. Looking forward to your clarifications.

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One more thing Dr. Martin. Cyclists now riding 175 cranks at 100 rpm are near that 2 m/sec pedal speed that shows a 300 watt metabolic cost. Even if you divide by 5 that is still a 60 watt cost? Do you believe those riders have anything to gain from this approach or is any gain still too small to worry about?
Frank Day

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun=frankday wrote:
Wasn’t this calculated from the residual from the mechanical watts, was that calculation multiplied by 5?

Figures 1 2 and 3 all have metabolic power on the y axis. The residuals shown in figure 2 are in metabolic watts. I think the figures are pretty clear. If things are unclear it might help to read the paper.
h2ofun wrote:
The devil is in the details.
Indeed.
h2ofun wrote:
The other issue is the shape of the curve. Eyeball suggests that it would intersect the Y coordinate between 25 and 50 when, in fact, it has to intersect at zero.
No it doesn't. As pedal speed gets really low, metabolic cost goes up. This is probably due to the high force required and the resulting recruitment of type II motor units. That regression just says that low pedaling rates are less efficient than average.
h2ofun wrote:
Do you recommend that those reading this thread ignore the possibility of an easy 3-6 watt increase because you think it small? Do you think this advantage should be ignored because, well because it it just so strange to ride slower cadences and you didn’t think of it? Do you think efficiency is important? (some here don’t).

As I wrote earlier in this thread (post 585), one might see around one percent change in metabolic cost associated with a reasonable range of pedal speeds. I'd still say that's in the right range. So, should you worry about 1% change in metabolic cost? Sure. It will alter speed by around the cube root of 1.01 or about 0.3%. In a one hour ride, that efficiency would improve your time by about 12s. As others have pointed out, pedaling at higher force might impact the run so that might be something else to keep in mind.
As you said, the devil is in the details and I would add "the devil is in the big picture".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
h2ofun=frankday wrote:
Wasn’t this calculated from the residual from the mechanical watts, was that calculation multiplied by 5?

Figures 1 2 and 3 all have metabolic power on the y axis. The residuals shown in figure 2 are in metabolic watts. I think the figures are pretty clear. If things are unclear it might help to read the paper.
h2ofun wrote:
The devil is in the details.

Indeed.
h2ofun wrote:
The other issue is the shape of the curve. Eyeball suggests that it would intersect the Y coordinate between 25 and 50 when, in fact, it has to intersect at zero.

No it doesn't. As pedal speed gets really low, metabolic cost goes up. This is probably due to the high force required and the resulting recruitment of type II motor units. That regression just says that low pedaling rates are less efficient than average.
h2ofun wrote:
Do you recommend that those reading this thread ignore the possibility of an easy 3-6 watt increase because you think it small? Do you think this advantage should be ignored because, well because it it just so strange to ride slower cadences and you didn’t think of it? Do you think efficiency is important? (some here don’t).

As I wrote earlier in this thread (post 585), one might see around one percent change in metabolic cost associated with a reasonable range of pedal speeds. I'd still say that's in the right range. So, should you worry about 1% change in metabolic cost? Sure. It will alter speed by around the cube root of 1.01 or about 0.3%. In a one hour ride, that efficiency would improve your time by about 12s. As others have pointed out, pedaling at higher force might impact the run so that might be something else to keep in mind.
As you said, the devil is in the details and I would add "the devil is in the big picture".

So, how is one going to know if something on the bike is going to impact the run?

I read all the time that folks who had a crappy run blew it on the bike going too hard. Could there be a number of things that could go wrong on the bike? Fit? RPM speed?
Etc?

I have no idea how someone is going to prove how the bike would directly impact the run with data

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I have no idea how someone is going to prove how the bike would directly impact the run with data
Gee, lets think. Maybe two or more pedal speeds with controlled power followed by running trials?
Looks like cadence mainly effects the early part of the run. Google scholar is your friend.

J Sports Sci Med. 2005 Sep 1;4(3):342-53.
The effect of cycling cadence on subsequent 10km running performance in well-trained triathletes. Tew G.
Abstract The aim of this study was to examine the effects of different pedalling cadences on the performance of a subsequent 10km treadmill run. Eight male triathletes (age 38.9 ± 15.4 years, body mass 72.2 ± 5.2 kg, and stature 176 ± 6 cm; mean ± SD) completed a maximal cycling test, one isolated run (10km), and then three randomly ordered cycle-run sessions (65 minutes cycling + 10km run). During the cycling bout of the cycle-run sessions, subjects cycled at an intensity corresponding to 70% Pmax while maintaining one of three cadences, corresponding to preferred cadence (PC), PC+15% (fast cadence) and PC-15% (slow cadence). Slow, preferred and fast cadences were 71.8 ± 3.0, 84.5 ± 3.6, and 97.3 ± 4.3 rpm, respectively (mean ± SD). Physiological variables measured during the cycle-run and isolated run sessions were VO2, VE, RER, HR, RPE, and blood lactate. Biomechanical variables measured during the cycle-run and isolated run sessions were running velocity, stride length, stride frequency, and hip and knee angles at foot-strike and toe-off. Running performance times were also recorded. A significant effect of prior cycling exercise was found on 10km running time (p = 0.001) without any cadence effect (p = 0.801, ω(2) = 0.006) (49:58 ± 8:20, 49:09 ± 8:26, 49:28 ± 8:09, and 44:45 ± 6:27 min·s(-1) for the slow, preferred, fast, and isolated run conditions, respectively; mean ± SD). However, during the first 500 m of the run, running velocity was significantly higher after cycling at the preferred and fast cadences than after the slow cadence (p < 0.05). Furthermore, the slow cadence condition was associated with a significantly lower HR (p = 0.012) and VE (p = 0.026) during cycling than in the fast cadence condition. The results confirm the deterioration in running performance completed after the cycling event compared with the isolated run. However, no significant effect of cycling cadence on running performance was observed within the cadence ranges usually used by triathletes. Key PointsCompared with an isolated run, completion of a cycling event impairs the performance of a subsequent run independently of the pedalling cadence.The choice of cadence within triathletes' usual range does not seem to influence the performance of a 10km run.The results reinforce the necessity for triathletes to practice multi-block training in order to simulate the physiological responses experienced by the cycle-run transition.Further research into the effects of cycling cadence on subsequent running performance is required.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BioMcGeek wrote: "No it doesn't. As pedal speed gets really low, metabolic cost goes up. This is probably due to the high force required and the resulting recruitment of type II motor units. That regression just says that low pedaling rates are less efficient than average.”

Wrong again my friend. Figure 4 is for unloaded pedaling. Metabolic cost does not increase as speed slows if contractility also decreases. Unloaded is unloaded. So, as speed slows contractility needed to pedal also falls. When pedal speed is zero required contractility is zero. Hence, metabolic cost at zero pedal speed is zero. Metabolic cost of pedaling increase somewhere between the square and cube of the pedal speed, the number depends on the chain and bearing losses.

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BioMcGeek wrote: “As I wrote earlier in this thread (post 585), one might see around one percent change in metabolic cost associated with a reasonable range of pedal speeds. I'd still say that's in the right range. So, should you worry about 1% change in metabolic cost? Sure. It will alter speed by around the cube root of 1.01 or about 0.3%. In a one hour ride, that efficiency would improve your time by about 12s. As others have pointed out, pedaling at higher force might impact the run so that might be something else to keep in mind.
As you said, the devil is in the details and I would add "the devil is in the big picture”.”

Wrong again. There are plenty of people here on 175 cranks riding at 100 or so cadence (that is similar to when Dave was riding 200’s at 85-90 rpm). Figure 4 puts that cost at 300 metabolic watts. 20% of that is 60 watts. Bringing that down to a more reasonable cadence of 77 reduces that metabolic cost to 150 Watts or 30 real watts according to you. That is a 30 watt change if one keeps effort (oxygen consumption) the same. 30 watts is a lot more than 1% of what most of the people here race at. Do you really consider that small and unworthy of trying.

Whatever the improvement, small or large, isn't this what people like to call "free speed”?

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Gee, lets think. Maybe two or more pedal speeds with controlled power followed by running trials?
Looks like cadence mainly effects the early part of the run. Google scholar is your friend.

J Sports Sci Med. 2005 Sep 1;4(3):342-53.
The effect of cycling cadence on subsequent 10km running performance in well-trained triathletes. Tew G.
Abstract The aim of this study was to examine the effects of different pedalling cadences on the performance of a subsequent 10km treadmill run. Eight male triathletes (age 38.9 ± 15.4 years, body mass 72.2 ± 5.2 kg, and stature 176 ± 6 cm; mean ± SD) completed a maximal cycling test, one isolated run (10km), and then three randomly ordered cycle-run sessions (65 minutes cycling + 10km run). During the cycling bout of the cycle-run sessions, subjects cycled at an intensity corresponding to 70% Pmax while maintaining one of three cadences, corresponding to preferred cadence (PC), PC+15% (fast cadence) and PC-15% (slow cadence). Slow, preferred and fast cadences were 71.8 ± 3.0, 84.5 ± 3.6, and 97.3 ± 4.3 rpm, respectively (mean ± SD). Physiological variables measured during the cycle-run and isolated run sessions were VO2, VE, RER, HR, RPE, and blood lactate. Biomechanical variables measured during the cycle-run and isolated run sessions were running velocity, stride length, stride frequency, and hip and knee angles at foot-strike and toe-off. Running performance times were also recorded. A significant effect of prior cycling exercise was found on 10km running time (p = 0.001) without any cadence effect (p = 0.801, ω(2) = 0.006) (49:58 ± 8:20, 49:09 ± 8:26, 49:28 ± 8:09, and 44:45 ± 6:27 min·s(-1) for the slow, preferred, fast, and isolated run conditions, respectively; mean ± SD). However, during the first 500 m of the run, running velocity was significantly higher after cycling at the preferred and fast cadences than after the slow cadence (p < 0.05). Furthermore, the slow cadence condition was associated with a significantly lower HR (p = 0.012) and VE (p = 0.026) during cycling than in the fast cadence condition. The results confirm the deterioration in running performance completed after the cycling event compared with the isolated run. However, no significant effect of cycling cadence on running performance was observed within the cadence ranges usually used by triathletes. Key PointsCompared with an isolated run, completion of a cycling event impairs the performance of a subsequent run independently of the pedalling cadence.The choice of cadence within triathletes' usual range does not seem to influence the performance of a 10km run.The results reinforce the necessity for triathletes to practice multi-block training in order to simulate the physiological responses experienced by the cycle-run transition.Further research into the effects of cycling cadence on subsequent running performance is required.

And summary is what?

I just see it saying cadence basically makes no difference. Am I reading this wrong?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you still running an 80.5cm seat height? How tall are you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you were alluding to metabolic cost associated with pedal speed, as shown in Fig 2a. That figure shows that as pedal speed goes down, metabolic cost of producing power goes up.
Your eyeball fit of the unloaded cost data is irrelevant. Regardless of the intercept, you would also need the delta efficiency data which would be very low, hence high metabolic cost of producing power. As in figure 2.
I'm done here. I could waste many hours (as I have done in the past) trying to educate you regarding research in exercise science. Previous efforts have demonstrated that you're highly resistant to learning. Have a nice life.

h2ofun=frankday wrote:
BioMcGeek wrote: "No it doesn't. As pedal speed gets really low, metabolic cost goes up. This is probably due to the high force required and the resulting recruitment of type II motor units. That regression just says that low pedaling rates are less efficient than average.”

Wrong again my friend. Figure 4 is for unloaded pedaling. Metabolic cost does not increase as speed slows if contractility also decreases. Unloaded is unloaded. So, as speed slows contractility needed to pedal also falls. When pedal speed is zero required contractility is zero. Hence, metabolic cost at zero pedal speed is zero. Metabolic cost of pedaling increase somewhere between the square and cube of the pedal speed, the number depends on the chain and bearing losses.

Frank Day
Last edited by: Bio_McGeek: Dec 9, 17 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Are you still running an 80.5cm seat height? How tall are you?

Not since I got a bike fit, and know a little more what I am doing.
I am 6'5. Riding the 150's now I am at 870. 875 on the 145's. 840 on the 175's

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you will continue to stick around and debate. I continue to learn stuff. I love it when it just stays with facts and folks opinions and not personal attacks.
This stuff is not 2+2=4 or it would be easy.

Again, thanks for helping many of us with your experience.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
BioMcGeek wrote: “As I wrote earlier in this thread (post 585), one might see around one percent change in metabolic cost associated with a reasonable range of pedal speeds. I'd still say that's in the right range. So, should you worry about 1% change in metabolic cost? Sure. It will alter speed by around the cube root of 1.01 or about 0.3%. In a one hour ride, that efficiency would improve your time by about 12s. As others have pointed out, pedaling at higher force might impact the run so that might be something else to keep in mind.
As you said, the devil is in the details and I would add "the devil is in the big picture”.”

Wrong again. There are plenty of people here on 175 cranks riding at 100 or so cadence (that is similar to when Dave was riding 200’s at 85-90 rpm). Figure 4 puts that cost at 300 metabolic watts. 20% of that is 60 watts. Bringing that down to a more reasonable cadence of 77 reduces that metabolic cost to 150 Watts or 30 real watts according to you. That is a 30 watt change if one keeps effort (oxygen consumption) the same. 30 watts is a lot more than 1% of what most of the people here race at. Do you really consider that small and unworthy of trying.

Whatever the improvement, small or large, isn't this what people like to call "free speed”?

Frank Day

Edited - 1.8 m/s is 240 mech watts on chart
Not sure what figure 4 you are looking at...
175 cranks at 100 rpm = 1.8m/s so about 240 metabolic watts = 48 mechanical watts.
175 cranks at 77 rpm = 1.4m/s so about 150 metabolic watts = 30 mechanical watts.

Difference is 18 mechanical watts. Not 30.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Dec 9, 17 18:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
during the first 500 m of the run, running velocity was significantly higher after cycling at the preferred and fast cadences than after the slow cadence (p < 0.05).
And summary is what? I just see it saying cadence basically makes no difference. Am I reading this wrong?
Does the bold underlined font help you see the cadence effect?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BioMcGeek wrote: "Gee, lets think. Maybe two or more pedal speeds with controlled power followed by running trials?
Looks like cadence mainly effects the early part of the run. Google scholar is your friend. “

Indeed. It isn’t clear what point you are trying to make with this find. There was no significant difference in running time for the 10k despite there being a difference in how fast people started out. Further, they found “...the slow cadence condition was associated with a significantly lower HR (p = 0.012) and VE (p = 0.026) during cycling than in the fast cadence condition”. So, they showed people run slower after biking than they do when fresh. What they failed to show, which is how I would expect Dave to race, is how one does if one keeps effort the same (HR) during the bike with different cadences (one might expect in this case for the slow cadence bike to have been faster) compared to the run (would it have been the same?) That is Dave’s question and this study doesn’t answer it. He says he would be more than happy to pick up two minutes on the bike and lose one minute on the run. This study suggests he wouldn’t lose anything on the run.

Thanks for that.
Frank Day (

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
during the first 500 m of the run, running velocity was significantly higher after cycling at the preferred and fast cadences than after the slow cadence (p < 0.05).
And summary is what? I just see it saying cadence basically makes no difference. Am I reading this wrong?

No because there is not number on what a fast or slow cadence is. Different folks will have a totally different view on what is fast or slow.

What I have found, and talking to many other athletes, if one is not doing bricks, enough running, etc. it can take a long time to "warm" up off the bike for the run.
Since I do a lot of right off the bike to my treadmill, I can get off the bike and hit full speed at the beginning of the run. Is one of my assets with my training.

So I see lots of real reasons most folks are slow in the first part of the run, and it has nothing to do with crank length or cadence they are spinning, in my experience.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Bio_McGeek wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

No because there is not number on what a fast or slow cadence is. Different folks will have a totally different view on what is fast or slow.

What I have found, and talking to many other athletes, if one is not doing bricks, enough running, etc. it can take a long time to "warm" up off the bike for the run.
Since I do a lot of right off the bike to my treadmill, I can get off the bike and hit full speed at the beginning of the run. Is one of my assets with my training.

So I see lots of real reasons most folks are slow in the first part of the run, and it has nothing to do with crank length or cadence they are spinning, in my experience.

Riding at a lower cadence has a noticeable impact on my ability to run off the bike. My best, and most consistent run splits, are when my riding cadence closely matches my running cadence (upper 80s). At cadences below 80, my legs fatigue quicker on the bike, and are burning and feel heavy at the start of a run. At the same power, a cycling cadence at my run cadence feels much easier, far less fatiguing, and getting off the bike and running feels more like a continuation of a cycling effort that I could have sustained longer...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
> H2Ofun wrote: “...Am I reading this wrong?”

No. This is similar to those studies that tried to look at the benefits of using a power meter and found no difference. McGeek saw that difference in the first 500 meters and thought it meant something. It doesn’t.

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
biomcgeek wrote: "Does the bold underlined font help you see the cadence effect?”

If only race directors stopped the clock after the first 500 m of a 10k run. They usually don’t. If cadence makes a difference for the first 500 m of a run why not try this approach if you think that important. Ride the bike leg at the most efficient cadence to maximize the bike then the last minute or two bring the cadence up to warm up the legs for the run. How does that sound?

Frank Day

Quote Reply

Prev Next