Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Easter Camp Good Friday Apr6 - Apr 15th (10 days) [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Monty is making you cook breakfast and lunch for him, he better be posting his training...
Quote Reply
Re: Easter Camp Good Friday Apr6 - Apr 15th (10 days) [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My update for day 6 (Wednesday, April 11):
1 hour swim=60pts
1:15 bike=50pts
:45 run=45pts
:20 weights=13pts
Total: 168pts
Also, i'm m25-29.

I might be out of town this weekend (hopefully!) so I may not be able to post any training updates until Monday, which may be too late. Anyways Dev, thanks again for doing this!
Quote Reply
Re: Easter Camp Good Friday Apr6 - Apr 15th (10 days) [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day whichever day we're on

run: 5mi easy in 40 min

bike: 60 min on the trainer becuase I'm a wimp and it felt cold outside - but then I had to open all the windows in my dorm room so I probably should've just gone outside

80 pts

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wednesday 1:08 run = 68 and 33 swim = 22 Total of 90 points for the day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev; Is there a swim at Wildflower?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today, the 11th,

45 minute swim: 30 points
80 minute outside bike: 40 points

total for the day 70 points.

man. i'd take a 30 minute run over today's swim any day of the week. The outside bike today was brutal also, don't know but the cold and wind made it seem much harder than then trainer workouts i've been doing. maybe i'll do a quick run tonight for some bonus points.

Somedays training sucks.

Quote | Reply
April 11:

1:00 Run-60 pts

TOTAL 425
Quote Reply
Re: Easter Camp Good Friday Apr6 - Apr 15th (10 days) [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if there is a swim at Wildflower. You have to cover 2000m in a rubber suit...I'm not sure that is swimming, but since USAT allows it, what the hell :-) Do you think the arm strength from XC skiing plus the rubber suit will do it....or do I need to do 30 min of lat pulldowns? You are right though, I really need to get to the pool...Fri and Sun should provide ample opportunity.

60 min run at lunch....30 points away from 1000 with a bike commute left today....then Ottawa vs Pittsburgh tonite when the real hockey season starts. This might be the only time all year that I beat Kus to anything (....that alone should get him fired up)

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna be on the fixie this evening (I hope). How should I tally the points? Is 60 minutes on a fixie worth 30 points or 40 points?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Easter Camp Good Friday Apr6 - Apr 15th (10 days) [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fixie indoors = 40 pts
fixie outdoors = 30 pts

I realize it is tougher, but so are powecranks etc etc, or ridng a 8.5 hour loop with 6000 ft of climbing in the first few hours...sadly, no credit for level of difficulty....just for duration. This keeps it simple, and in fact encourages people to back off in intensity and focus on volume...for many it is still early and no need to hammer silly if A races in are in July-Aug-Sep (such as yourself...)

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks,

Don't really care what the points are, since I'm not going to win anyway. Maybe the blizzard will miss us and I'll be able to get in a nice 6 hour ride this weekend while everyone else is shovelling their driveways

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Easter Camp Good Friday Apr6 - Apr 15th (10 days) [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More is More: This camp isn't about training right or wrong, or hard or easy. There's a point system and you have to learn to operate within that system.

Training on your fixie for an hour...30 points.

Riding the trainer while watching Grey's Anatomy...40 points, unless you stop during commercials.

Running around in a soccer game for an hour with your kids is worth 40 points...but be honest with youself about how much actual running you did.
Quote Reply
Re: Easter Camp Good Friday Apr6 - Apr 15th (10 days) [cdanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got it, OK?? Yeesh.

I just didn't know if the fixie should be considered equivalent to indoor or outdoor riding since you can't stop pedalling. I got my answer, I'm happy.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Easter Camp Good Friday Apr6 - Apr 15th (10 days) [emacfarl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 4: 1:30 swim + 0:25 run = 85 points
Day 5: 1:30 ride = 45 points
Day 6: 1:50 run + 1:00 swim = 150 points

Total trough April 11 = 602 points

Also, M 20-24 AG.

My egocentric blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was kind of kidding around...the points system is strange. But it is what it is.

Doing anything aerobic for one hour that isn't one of the sports we compete in: 40 points.

Actually biking outside: 30 points.

It doesn't make much sense that riding the elliptical for an hour is worth more to a triathlete than going outside and riding a fixed gear bicycle.

I would rather see--at this point in the year--60 pts/hr for swimming, biking and running and 20 points for anything else. It's mid-April. Specificity. It's time to swim, bike and run.

However, I also understand the points system was developed over many many camps and has been debated ad nauseum.

I still like Slowman's point system the best and use it to measure my volume for my training log.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cdarun...if you are on any gym aerobic equipment for 60 minutes it is 30 points. Yes, lifting weights for an hour is 40 points...but this is actual time lifting. If you actually did squats + lat pulldowns for an hour, you would be so cooked that you could not get out of bed. Imagine having a barbell on the ground with say 75 lbs and a lat pulldown machine with say 40 lbs (to be conservative). Clock starts, and you do 20 squats, drop the bar, stop your clock, walk over to the lat pulldowns, start your watch. Do pulldowns for 2 min straight, stop your watch, walk over to Barbell and repeat.

Everything else on there that is worth 40 points are actually either tri sports, or for those of us that live in the North a reflection of what we do to cross train...and since I set the camp I guess I get to choose what falls into 40 points per hour group :-). If you don't think that one hour XC skiing, in line skating, rollerskiing or snow shoeing (40 points each) is tougher than 60 minutes of outdoor riding, come out with me any time for 3 hours of any one of these sports. Then we can go for a 3 hour ride the next day, and you can decide if the point system is fair. I guarantee that I'll make your life living hell for 3 hours of the aforementioned sports to the point where you will be begging to get onto the bike for 3 hours for the easier option :-) I do agree that these things might not be triathlon sports, but no one anywhere said it is a triathlon camp. Its just a camp about training as much as possible, and I'm trying to include people with a variety of fitness interests...and everyone can "compete"

Slowman's system is great, but it favoured relatively fast people who could cover lots of ground quickly. With this system, the 17 hour Ironman can compete with the 9 hour stud. Also, since many use weekly "hours" vs weekly mileage this was a way of converting the hours of various sports into to equivalent units.

Anyway this kinda all started in 2005 when I did a "running camp for Boston" where we got 1 point per minute of running. People of all speeds could compete...then the multisport version equivalents of "one minute of running" evolved.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._latest_reply;so=ASC

As for specificity, well, I'll let you hard core guys obsess about specificity. I'd rather include everyone and personally, after over 2 decades of triathlon, I likely have enough specificity in my body to last a lifetime. I really need to mix things up with variety to keep things interesting and stay motivated about fitness. My heart and lungs don't know the difference, and my brain needs the entertainment value of the variety...plus doing other sports just makes me a better athlete with respect to coordination and spatial awareness, things that uncoordinated triathletes generally don't care much about :-).

In this camp I've done:
  • riding on rollers in aerobars
  • riding on trainer in aerobars
  • riding outdoors on Powercranks on road bike
  • riding outdoors on tri bike in aerobars
  • running in the snow
  • running on pavement
  • running on trails
  • roller skiing
  • lifting weights
  • swimming in a pool

unfortunately, it is too cold to swim openwater, and I can still do some time on the elliptical or treadmill to add more variety :-)
Last edited by: devashish paul: Apr 11, 07 14:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It doesn't make much sense that riding the elliptical for an hour is worth more to a triathlete than going outside and riding a fixed gear bicycle"
- - Can't agree with you on that (I've read Dev's correction that elliptical is only 30 points). I'd rather ride a bike for 8 hours (even on a trainer) than pump the elliptical for more than 30 minutes. In fact, I've used the elliptical for rehab training when I couldn't run and 30 minutes is just about my record.
In fact, I'd rather be flayed alive than be forced to do 60 minutes on an elliptical trainer.

Some genius could probably figure out relative watts or calories for the different activities (or some alternate "degree of difficulty" rating where elliptical is .42 points per minute and road bike is .55 points per minute and Power Cranks add .06 points per minute or rollers add .03 points per minute, but that's all getting way too complicated.

Personally I'm OK with the system as it is. Sure, but then I'm winning... for the moment.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>.for many it is still early and no need to hammer silly if A races in are in July-Aug-Sep <<

Not for quite a few of us. My "A" race is in 6 weeks and 4 days. In fact, after August 4th, I have no races planned.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Easter Camp Good Friday Apr6 - Apr 15th (10 days) [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, when you think about it, the point system is not really about how difficult each sport is. 20 min all out of any sport is equally tough and is capped by our cardiovascular limits. The two things that hopefully the point system reflect are:
  1. the ability to keep doing that activitiy for a long period...limitations being muscular skeletal stress and sheer mental boredom factors
  2. ability to recover and repeat the next day.

Outdoor cycling allows us to go for hours on end, with the ability of repeating the same day after day without mentally or physically burning out....trust me, I'd like outside cycling to be worth more especially given that I am having to do it in minus 2 to plus 4C weather
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

The camp rules are for the most part excellent and I agree that Slowman's point system rewards faster people and I see why you use minutes of activity and I like that.

//Everything else on there that is worth 40 points are actually either tri sports, or for those of us that live in the North a reflection of what we do to cross train...and since I set the camp I guess I get to choose what falls into 40 points per hour group :-). //

We don't all live in the North. I think cross-training is cool and would XC ski if there were trails and snow in downtown Chicago. There isn't, so I ride my bike outside. But I agree that XC skiing is good cross-training. Your 40 pts/hr is certainly justified.

But, as the rules of the game go, there's a penalty for taking a bike outside. If there aren't any points for going hard or easy why does it matter if I ride inside or out. It doesn't make sense.

//If you don't think that one hour XC skiing, in line skating, rollerskiing or snow shoeing (40 points each) is tougher than 60 minutes of outdoor riding, come out with me any time for 3 hours of any one of these sports. Then we can go for a 3 hour ride the next day, and you can decide if the point system is fair. I guarantee that I'll make your life living hell for 3 hours of the aforementioned sports to the point where you will be begging to get onto the bike for 3 hours for the easier option :-)//

Dev, c'mon now. You don't get any points for "hell". It is only April.
Quote Reply
Re: Easter Camp Good Friday Apr6 - Apr 15th (10 days) [soya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apr11:
Weights 50' (estimating 35' actual lifting) = 23.33
Run (outdoors) 1:49 = 109
swim 60' = 40
total = 172.33

Total to date= 610.4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
April 11th:

Swim: 1:15 - 50 points
Run: 1 hr - 60 points
total: 110

CAMP TOTAL: 556

http://www.ksweetstrispot.blogspot.com

ScottUSA
Profile Design
Fastrack Bicycle & Run
Sarasota Surge
Contemporary Alternative Care

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dev, April 11: Run 30 in am, Bike 2:26 in pm, so total (30+73)= 103 today. (Nice ride in Santa Barbara south coast - ocean whitecaps, big swell, and a strong northeast wind.) Less points ahead as I taper towards an Oly Tri on Sunday at UCSB. AG is M 50-54.

One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Stuff that rocks: <fawning links here>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was cold and rainy here in Tokyo yesterday, so I wussed out and did my run workout on a treadmill instead of at a track.

Day 6 (4/11)

Run 65 mins = 65 points

10 min warm up
5 x 2,000m intervals at half marathon pace 4:13
10 min warm down

Day total 65 points

Camp total 576 points

Keren
https://www.triathlonintokyo.org/
https://quintanarootri.com/ https://en-jp.wahoofitness.com/ https://www.worldtriathlonstore.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cdarun, I hear you about indoor vs outdoor. Right now there is penalty for outdoor. 2 camps ago there was a huge outcry that indoor riding was way tougher than outdoor riding. It was December 2005. Guys in Australia were doing 6 hour rides on the Gold Cost and bagging points. Guys in Chicago or Boston were strapped to a trainer and complaining. Personally at the time, I was doing zero bike miles and getting all my points on XC skis or running, so I listened to the complaints and on the balance it was agreed that indoor riding while physically no different warranted more points due to the mental difficulty. For that reason alone, we are all amazed by Matti58's 3x5 hour trainer rides on three successive days. So I agree that if the ride is short the outdoor ride gets heavily penalized, but once you get much over 90 minutes, you can see how indoor riding deserves some more points!

OK, let's quite debating and get training...I got 40 minutes more riding in at the end of the day on my commute home...I think that puts me at 990 points, but I'm not doing any silly 15 minutes of weights tonite...I'll save it for tomorrow.

Dev

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next