Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here!
Quote | Reply
Good afternoon SlowTwitch users!

After lurking on the forum for a bit, I wanted to officially introduce myself. My name is Mitchell and I am the new Community Manager for Trek Bikes! If you have ever sent a message to us recently through our social media channels and gotten a response, that was me on the other end!

A little about me:
I was born in Canada, lived in Pennsylvania and then moved to Wisconsin where I now work at Trek! I've been hooked on cycling ever since my first real bike, a 2001 Trek Vert 1! It wasn't the fanciest bike, but that BMX bike got me into the sport. Now I ride both mountain and road bikes! Also, I often travel to watch family at friends at triathlons, so maybe you'll see some guy wearing a bunch of Trek branded clothing not on a bike, because that could be me! I'll be at Barrelman in Canada, Miami Man, and Ironman Wisconsin this year.

I hope to be a helpful asset for you all here on the forum and specifically within the Official Speed Concept Owners Thread with those bike questions!

Happy cycling!

Mitchell

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Feb 22, 19 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. Welcome! Carl Matson was a legend here on these boards. Glad to see you are reaching out here!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:
Great. Welcome! Carl Matson was a legend here on these boards. Glad to see you are reaching out here!!!

Thanks! He sure was, especially since he worked directly with the Speed Concept!

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for joining. Hello from Rockford.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome aboard. What exactly does "community manager" mean? One reason Carl was so respected around these parts is ST is fully of really geeky people and Carl was as geeky if not more geeky. I don't even know if Carl was supposed to be interacting with ST as a defined part of his position or just because he liked to but I guess what I am really asking is what role do you play with building and engineering Trek triathlon bikes? As a bonus question for you, any early predictions to a 2019 Ironman Wisconsin winner?


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: 2018 Normatec Pulse vs 2015-2017 Normatec Pulse | QUICK Air Relax Travel Case Review | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Welcome aboard. What exactly does "community manager" mean? One reason Carl was so respected around these parts is ST is fully of really geeky people and Carl was as geeky if not more geeky. I don't even know if Carl was supposed to be interacting with ST as a defined part of his position or just because he liked to but I guess what I am really asking is what role do you play with building and engineering Trek triathlon bikes? As a bonus question for you, any early predictions to a 2019 Ironman Wisconsin winner?


Thanks and that's a good question! Let me start by saying I'm not like Carl as I lack the engineering background that he has - I work with customer service and marketing. But, I'm thankful to have a great support network here in Waterloo and a good relationship with our product engineers! My role at Trek is to monitor the social media channels and recently I moved to third-party channels like ST to help our customers in places we are not involved but can be. Its a very busy and time consuming position, but I thoroughly enjoy working with people (and who doesn't love talking bikes all day?).

For your IM Wisconsin question, that's tough... Linsey Corbin did such a great job last year, it would be great to see her return and do it again. Eric Engel has also been in the leaderboards for a while, so maybe he can shine if he competes for 2019. But overall should go to our in-house customer service rep/pro Andrew Keily ;)

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Feb 20, 19 15:13
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Eric Engel has also been in the leaderboards for a while, so maybe he can shine if he competes for 2019. But overall should go to our in-house customer service rep/pro Andrew Keily ;)

are those real guesses or biased guesses?

I'm racing 2019 IM Arizona as part of Team Smile Train. Will I implode? Will I finish strong? Donate to find out more!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Welcome aboard. What exactly does "community manager" mean? One reason Carl was so respected around these parts is ST is fully of really geeky people and Carl was as geeky if not more geeky. I don't even know if Carl was supposed to be interacting with ST as a defined part of his position or just because he liked to but I guess what I am really asking is what role do you play with building and engineering Trek triathlon bikes? As a bonus question for you, any early predictions to a 2019 Ironman Wisconsin winner?


Thanks and that's a good question! Let me start by saying I'm not like Carl as I lack the engineering background that he has - I work with customer service and marketing. But, I'm thankful to have a great support network here in Waterloo and a good relationship with our product engineers! My role at Trek is to monitor the social media channels and recently I moved to third-party channels like ST to help our customers in places we are not involved but can be. Its a very busy and time consuming position, but I thoroughly enjoy working with people (and who doesn't love talking bikes all day?).

For your IM Wisconsin question, that's tough... Linsey Corbin did such a great job last year, it would be great to see her return and do it again. Eric Engel has also been in the leaderboards for a while, so maybe he can shine if he competes for 2019. But overall should go to our in-house customer service rep/pro Andrew Keily ;)

Oh man, so Keily is already throwing his hat in the ring. If he won people would be crying collusion and how he must have been drafting the lead vehicle or the Trek tech van that roams the course. Corbin isn't a bad bet on the ladies side, but I am not sure I like the chance of any WI resident or native to win Ironman Wisconsin. Maybe the most talented athlete to come out of Wisconsin (besides Gwen) would be Jake Rhyner. He says he is racing his first IM this year but homeboy rides a Cervelo P5. With that being said there is money on the male side again this year, not much but some, and an automatic Kona qualifier spot so much higher stakes than no pro money for the men last year. As a result, we could see a very big field akin to back in the days before the KPR point system for pro athletes. As a pro athlete looking to go to Kona the races like Ironman Wisconsin offer a pretty good chance of no serious heavy hitters showing up as they are all in lock down mode for Ironman Hawaii. Regardless tell your in-house Keily I said hi and he better be training during this snow storm if he wants to win big on Sept 8th.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: 2018 Normatec Pulse vs 2015-2017 Normatec Pulse | QUICK Air Relax Travel Case Review | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome Mitch. Thanks for coming on here. The SC has a huge following on here and a lot of that is due to the support Carl gave on here.

A few questions:

Why was the 9 series speed concept discontinued? The madone and emonda are both still offered in 600 oclv carbon, why isn’t the SC? As a beloved SC fan, please bring back the 9 series speed concept.

Also... do you have a new part number for the speed concept brake pad holders/carriers?? The part number listed in the service manual is no longer a valid part number according to my lbs. Old part number is 433749.

It appears the trek speed speed concept fit guide/chart is no longer linked on trek’s website. I highly suggest that the link gets added back. Fit questions often come up on this site and many have struggled to find the SC fit guide. A few of us have saved off the guide to our personal computers. But it often gets asked on here for the link to it.

Is there a new bearing offered to fit SRAM AXS cranks into the trek bb90? I believe the SRAM AXS spindle is 24 mm diameter so perhaps the shimano bb90 bearings will work but I just want to verify.

get comfortable being uncomfortable
Last edited by: stevej: Feb 20, 19 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Eric Engel has also been in the leaderboards for a while, so maybe he can shine if he competes for 2019. But overall should go to our in-house customer service rep/pro Andrew Keily ;)


are those real guesses or biased guesses?

Semi-bias but all in good fun!

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Welcome aboard. What exactly does "community manager" mean? One reason Carl was so respected around these parts is ST is fully of really geeky people and Carl was as geeky if not more geeky. I don't even know if Carl was supposed to be interacting with ST as a defined part of his position or just because he liked to but I guess what I am really asking is what role do you play with building and engineering Trek triathlon bikes? As a bonus question for you, any early predictions to a 2019 Ironman Wisconsin winner?


Thanks and that's a good question! Let me start by saying I'm not like Carl as I lack the engineering background that he has - I work with customer service and marketing. But, I'm thankful to have a great support network here in Waterloo and a good relationship with our product engineers! My role at Trek is to monitor the social media channels and recently I moved to third-party channels like ST to help our customers in places we are not involved but can be. Its a very busy and time consuming position, but I thoroughly enjoy working with people (and who doesn't love talking bikes all day?).

For your IM Wisconsin question, that's tough... Linsey Corbin did such a great job last year, it would be great to see her return and do it again. Eric Engel has also been in the leaderboards for a while, so maybe he can shine if he competes for 2019. But overall should go to our in-house customer service rep/pro Andrew Keily ;)


Oh man, so Keily is already throwing his hat in the ring. If he won people would be crying collusion and how he must have been drafting the lead vehicle or the Trek tech van that roams the course. Corbin isn't a bad bet on the ladies side, but I am not sure I like the chance of any WI resident or native to win Ironman Wisconsin. Maybe the most talented athlete to come out of Wisconsin (besides Gwen) would be Jake Rhyner. He says he is racing his first IM this year but homeboy rides a Cervelo P5. With that being said there is money on the male side again this year, not much but some, and an automatic Kona qualifier spot so much higher stakes than no pro money for the men last year. As a result, we could see a very big field akin to back in the days before the KPR point system for pro athletes. As a pro athlete looking to go to Kona the races like Ironman Wisconsin offer a pretty good chance of no serious heavy hitters showing up as they are all in lock down mode for Ironman Hawaii. Regardless tell your in-house Keily I said hi and he better be training during this snow storm if he wants to win big on Sept 8th.

I'm actually throwing his hat in for him - so hopefully he sees this post, ha! He's been training pretty strong this year from all those lunch time trainer and gym sessions! But you are 100% correct about he big prize this year, that Kona spot is big. I bet we will see some strong finishers and a really great race overall. I hope to see some tough competition!

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome aboard!

I’ve noticed several Trek sponsored pros running a Bontrager branded disk wheel on their Speed Concepts. Can you tell us which disk your aero guys generally pair with the SC?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Welcome Mitch. Thanks for coming on here. The SC has a huge following on here and a lot of that is due to the support Carl gave on here.

A few questions:

Why was the 9 series speed concept discontinued? The madone and emonda are both still offered in 600 oclv carbon, why isn’t the SC? As a beloved SC fan, please bring back the 9 series speed concept.

Also... do you have a new part number for the speed concept brake pad holders/carriers?? The part number listed in the service manual is no longer a valid part number according to my lbs. Old part number is 433749.

It appears the trek speed speed concept fit guide/chart is no longer linked on trek’s website. I highly suggest that the link gets added back. Fit questions often come up on this site and many have struggled to find the SC fit guide. A few of us have saved off the guide to our personal computers. But it often gets asked on here for the link to it.

Is there a new bearing offered to fit SRAM AXS cranks into the trek bb90? I believe the SRAM AXS spindle is 24 mm diameter so perhaps the shimano bb90 bearings will work but I just want to verify.

Thanks Steve!

I actually never heard the official word on it's discontinuation, but I do know that the reasoning for the change to the current grade of carbon was due in part to the strength offered by a thicker carbon. The design allows it to still be rigid as the previous 9 series, with a slight increase in weight. I'll shoot the feedback to our amazing product team though!

The pad holders do not have a replacement SKU listed, but I would use SKU W507767 next time you are looking for a replacement at your Trek dealer.

Fit guide, I have that handy if anyone ever needs it. We can look to integrate it however.

And lastly (whew!), SRAM AXS only requires a BB 90 GXP Kit (specifically SKU 524556). The new Aero Tri setup is pretty fantastic. I recently built up an eTap and now I wish I waited! But either way, both models are pretty fantastic.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Welcome aboard!

I’ve noticed several Trek sponsored pros running a Bontrager branded disk wheel on their Speed Concepts. Can you tell us which disk your aero guys generally pair with the SC?

Scott


I'll have to reach out to the Race Shop about that question in the morning. Seems some bikes might have a previous Bontrager disc.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Feb 21, 19 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
As a bonus question for you, any early predictions to a 2019 Ironman Wisconsin winner?


Does this mean you're racing? I thought you retired?

Prove me wrong Thomas.

Inside The Big Ring Podcast, Interviews with Ironman Champions, Kona Qualifiers, and Training Tips


Last edited by: Brandes: Feb 21, 19 5:00
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome! Trek has been a large part of my life for the last 6 years so glad to have a represetive back on ST.

___________ https://www.instagram.com/toothengineer/ https://www.strava.com/dashboard https://slfmotion.com

2018 Races: Crashed out for the year
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK...so I have a question for you.. I have a speed concept, and it's great, but why is the Mono Extension Plugin so hard to get hold of and SO expensive..?!?! Having spent some time in the velodrome and in the windtunnel, I'd really like to make some adjustments which would be better done with other extensions..but at £300+ for the plug in plus £100+ for the extensions...that's an expensive tweek...!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcom to the forum and thanks for your time

I got a few question.
Is there a speed concept disc in the making?
Will there be an aeolus xxx 9 in the pipeline.
If there comes a new speed concept. Will it have isospeed.

Thx for your time.

Mvg mark
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohhh I am very keen to hear the answer to this as well!!!

doctorkidmillioniare.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch! Speed Concept owner here and a regular contributor to the Official Speed Concept thread when Carl was around. Kind of unrelated to tri but do you know of any plans to make a carbon version of the Full Stache? That bike is ridiculously fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
As a bonus question for you, any early predictions to a 2019 Ironman Wisconsin winner?


Does this mean you're racing? I thought you retired?

Prove me wrong Thomas.

Too early, way too early to make that call but I am definitely going to try to make it.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk

Blogs: 2018 Normatec Pulse vs 2015-2017 Normatec Pulse | QUICK Air Relax Travel Case Review | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's see if I can multi-quote!

Toothengineer wrote:
Welcome! Trek has been a large part of my life for the last 6 years so glad to have a represetive back on ST.

Thanks, happy to be involved in a welcoming forum!

Hiphophopper wrote:
OK...so I have a question for you.. I have a speed concept, and it's great, but why is the Mono Extension Plugin so hard to get hold of and SO expensive..?!?! Having spent some time in the velodrome and in the windtunnel, I'd really like to make some adjustments which would be better done with other extensions..but at £300+ for the plug in plus £100+ for the extensions...that's an expensive tweek...!

The Mono Plug-in shouldn't be hard to get unless a dealer is playing hard to get... with your heart. We actually have them in stock in NA and EU markets from a quick glance! I couldn't speak on pricing though, that would have been a decision from up above.


Coffeeaddict87 wrote:
Welcom to the forum and thanks for your time

I got a few question.
Is there a speed concept disc in the making?
Will there be an aeolus xxx 9 in the pipeline.
If there comes a new speed concept. Will it have isospeed.

Thx for your time.

Mvg mark

Hey Mark, thanks!

Speed Concept disc... Hmm. Wish I could spoil you with insider information like that, but I cannot. If there is one, they hide those pretty well. We have big plans for the next two years with lots of product releases, so we all have to wait and see!

GreenPlease wrote:
Hi Mitch! Speed Concept owner here and a regular contributor to the Official Speed Concept thread when Carl was around. Kind of unrelated to tri but do you know of any plans to make a carbon version of the Full Stache? That bike is ridiculously fun.

Hello! Carl was great to have on that thread, I know I am not a Carl, but I hope to be a good asset for everyone there when I can! Also, I want one a carbon Full Stache as well. Took my first Full Stache out in July. The bike's attitude was "what's a rock garden?" and then you just rolled through one without a care and could keep speed at the same time. Loved that.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Full Stache is honestly a revolution in my opinion. I’m not a very skilled or confident rider off road but on that bike I was able to just bomb through whatever got in my way on the trail with no drama. The suspension provided a remarkably good pedaling platform too. If that frame was all carbon and you could build it up around 27lbs it would be a true quiver killer.

Tell the higher ups the people want a Full Carbon Full Stache!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The Full Stache is honestly a revolution in my opinion. I’m not a very skilled or confident rider off road but on that bike I was able to just bomb through whatever got in my way on the trail with no drama. The suspension provided a remarkably good pedaling platform too. If that frame was all carbon and you could build it up around 27lbs it would be a true quiver killer.

Tell the higher ups the people want a Full Carbon Full Stache!

That's what I love about it! I currently ride a hardtail Stache and love it for the same reason - but it's not as much as a quiver killer (it's the most fun you can get out of a hardtail though!). I'm adding a full suspension model to the list next to make up for the Stache!

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch. Thanks for coming over to the dark side of online forums. Slowtwitch will prob end up being 1 persons full time job lol

Anyway as a Trek fanboy and 2x SC owner I would love to see all P1 bikes come with the draft box painted to match. It just ends up looking tacky IMO. Maybe even go so far as the base bar and extensions.

MY 2nd gripe is to make the P1 paint available to do touch ups. As a matter of fact all paint. It would be really nice to be able to fix chips.

Thanks for listening
Quote Reply

Prev Next