Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Tyrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tyrell wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Tyrell wrote:
Hi Mitch!

I recently picked up a set of Aeolus 5 D3 TLR rim brake wheels. Love them except they feel a bit soft when cornering, like they are wanting to drift wide vs the aluminum hoops I'm coming from. Same rubber, same pressure. I'm thinking the spoke tension may be on the lower end of acceptable range? Can you advise the proper specs: front, rear DS, rear NDS.

THANKS!

Front DS: 153 lbs min OR 69.4 kgf
Front NDS: 253 lbs min, 340 lbs max OR 114.8 kgf min, 154.2 kgf max

Rear DS: 253 lbs min, 340 lbs max OR 114.8 kgf min, 154.2 kgf max
Rear NDS: 153 lbs min OR 69.4 kgf

Thanks for the quick reply, Mitch! Front DS/NDS having different specs sounds like these are for disc brake wheels though. Which figures should I use for rim brake?

My bad, read your message incorrectly!

Updated the numbers.

Front: 220 lbs min, 290 lbs max OR 99.8 kgf min, 131.5 kgf max

Rear DS: 253 lbs min, 340 lbs max OR 114.8 kgf min, 154.2 kgf max
Rear NDS: 100 lbs min, 122 lbs max OR 45.4 kgf min, 55.3 kgf max

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a bit of difference - Thanks again, Mitch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch, I need help. Aeolus Pro 5 set up tubeless with bontrager AW3 and they do not fit. The trek store broke levers getting them on.

Why wouldn’t bonty wheels and tires not be flawlessly compatible

GP5 on my XXX6 were much much easier.

Thanks

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Mitch, I need help. Aeolus Pro 5 set up tubeless with bontrager AW3 and they do not fit. The trek store broke levers getting them on.

Why wouldn’t bonty wheels and tires not be flawlessly compatible

GP5 on my XXX6 were much much easier.

Thanks

Some of our tires have a really tight fit, this is something we've been addressing with newer tires to make tubeless setups easier. I would try another AW3 to confirm if it is one bad bead.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. These are actually the 2nd set and they were worse than the first. They also leak like crazy at the sidewalls. I couldn’t understand why I had to keep refilling them then I put them in water and watched them bubble.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kia ora Mitchell - I have a 2018 Fuel EX 9.8, and the rubber pad on the underside of the down tube, just behind the head tube, is coming off. Can you advise on how I safely stick this back on? Is it a warranty issue? Thanks for any advice.

MM

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mongooseman wrote:
Kia ora Mitchell - I have a 2018 Fuel EX 9.8, and the rubber pad on the underside of the down tube, just behind the head tube, is coming off. Can you advise on how I safely stick this back on? Is it a warranty issue? Thanks for any advice.

MM

Double sided 3M tape would do the trick! It wouldn't be a warranty issue though, plus a small patch of that tape is only a few dollars at the store or online.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks - should be easy enough.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch, I have a 2016 speed concept 7 that I’m doing a di2 self install. I’m having a terrible time getting a wire down the chain stay from the bb to the rear derailleur. I was able to eventually fish an old brake cable, but can’t get anything bigger to work. What’s the secret? Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewL wrote:
Hi Mitch, I have a 2016 speed concept 7 that I’m doing a di2 self install. I’m having a terrible time getting a wire down the chain stay from the bb to the rear derailleur. I was able to eventually fish an old brake cable, but can’t get anything bigger to work. What’s the secret? Thanks for your help.

Cables do the trick if you can tape the wire to it. Otherwise, I love the Park Tool IR-1 kit, super handy for all the internally routed bikes these days!

https://www.parktool.com/product/internal-cable-routing-kit-ir-1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kia ora! I've got a 2018 Fuel EX 9.8 which I absolutely love. It hasn't been ridden that much yet (about 500km) but the dropper post seems to have pretty much given up the ghost, and sticks about 2 inches from the top of travel whenever I hit the trigger to let it come up. Will Bontrager be likely to help here do you think? I've contacted the store I got the bike from but am not super hopeful of a reply.

Cheers for any assistance!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mongooseman wrote:
Kia ora! I've got a 2018 Fuel EX 9.8 which I absolutely love. It hasn't been ridden that much yet (about 500km) but the dropper post seems to have pretty much given up the ghost, and sticks about 2 inches from the top of travel whenever I hit the trigger to let it come up. Will Bontrager be likely to help here do you think? I've contacted the store I got the bike from but am not super hopeful of a reply.

Cheers for any assistance!

Sounds like you post may be due for a new cartridge, luckily, these are easy to service! If you bought your bike or dropper under two years ago, that would be covered by the warranty program. Otherwise it would be an out of pocket expense.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, I’m just over two years...but if that cartridge gave up the ghost that easily I think it’s probably Fox time. Thanks Mitch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch,

Do you have a part number for the M6 monobar bolts & profiled nuts that are fitted to the newer Speed Concepts? These are the ones that bolt the monobar to the stem. I'd like to order a couple of replacements.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [marting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marting wrote:
Hi Mitch,

Do you have a part number for the M6 monobar bolts & profiled nuts that are fitted to the newer Speed Concepts? These are the ones that bolt the monobar to the stem. I'd like to order a couple of replacements.

Thanks!

Part number 596164 would do the trick! That would be for two 6mm bolts and two of the T nuts.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by JaBuddyG [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: JaBuddyG: Oct 30, 20 1:39
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [JaBuddyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JaBuddyG wrote:
Hey Mitch,
Just curious if there is a shortage of Front Brake Covers (believe the product code for my XL Frame is W328661) for the Gen2 SC's or if they have been discontinued. Snapped mine when trying to adjust front brakes.
Thanks in advance.
J

We have a handful in stock at our Wisconsin warehouse and at our EU warehouse!

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Nov 2, 20 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch,

Fringe question here: a few brands like Bopworx and Scicon make “protectors” that mount to the drive side of the quick release skewer and hang over the derailleur when it is being shipped. I bought a Bopworx but it doesn’t fit the dropout of the SC. Is there one of these RD protectors that does fit? That Trek hanger is so delicate, I worry about it whenever I travel.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
marting wrote:
Hi Mitch,

Thanks!

Part number 596164 would do the trick! That would be for two 6mm bolts and two of the T nuts.

Purchased and installed, but deeply unhappy about the outrageous pricing on these. Especially since they've been upsized to deal with the fact that the M5 bolts were undersized, sometimes broke and caused serious injuries as a result... I'm sure Trek won't publicly admit to this of course, but there are plenty of stories out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Mitch,

Fringe question here: a few brands like Bopworx and Scicon make “protectors” that mount to the drive side of the quick release skewer and hang over the derailleur when it is being shipped. I bought a Bopworx but it doesn’t fit the dropout of the SC. Is there one of these RD protectors that does fit? That Trek hanger is so delicate, I worry about it whenever I travel.

Thanks

Having packed and shipped a Speed Concept for travel in only a Scicon case, their protector is the one I am familiar with. It is a foam bag with a hard shell plastic center for impact that wraps around the dropout. It's worked great and hasn't left me with any concerns. I would just remove the RD, and if you can, the chain and wrap those up nicely. You could also use the Park Tool DH-1 in conjunction with the protector if you have the chain or derailleur attached. Always travel with a spare derailleur hanger though, you never want to worry about being without one.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Mitch,

Thanks

To go along with what Mitch said...... I have travel to many times to count with a scion and SC.... I always travel with spear hanger and always take RD off then wrap the hanger in ton to keep it safe.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch, I am looking for the Speed Concept fit chart that has the stem and spacer combo needed to get to specific stack and reaches. I can’t find one when I google it. Can you post one here?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Greenj5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greenj5 wrote:
Mitch, I am looking for the Speed Concept fit chart that has the stem and spacer combo needed to get to specific stack and reaches. I can’t find one when I google it. Can you post one here?

I just brought that back to life in the Speed Concept thread to keep it relevant.

See the new post here

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Greenj5 wrote:

I just brought that back to life in the Speed Concept thread to keep it relevant.

See the new post here

Outstanding!! Thanks, Mitch!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch, has the SLR6 option (manual ultegra) for the Domane and Emonda gone forever or will it be back once things return to normal?
Quote Reply

Prev Next