You are doing a good job here.
And I am not even a Trek owner.

Thanks!

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adambeston wrote:
I have a 2015 Trek Domane and I seem to be one of the ones who has to replace the bottom bracket bearings quite often and we live a ways from a dealer so I learned how to replace them and ordered a couple sets to have at home but the little plastic sleeve that goes in got all cracked and I am having trouble figuring out what it is called so I can just call the shop later and ask to see if they have one or can order one, or I can order one. Thank you for your time. (Love the bike minus this issue as the roads are rough up here in Menomonie WI) Adam Beston

Hey Adam, I haven't seen the BB spindle sleeve available on it's own as it comes with the BB set. But perhaps your local dealer has one from a take off? That would likely be your best bet!

Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch,
I love my SC, but I have yet to fly with it without having to hunt out a mechanic to check it over after I’ve struggled to rebuild it.
Assuming Trek will have a presence in Kona, will it be possible to book a slot for this, as a mere Age-Grouper? I’ve been lucky in the past that the bike has gone fine, but it would be very reassuring to know I could put my bike in expert hands.
Cheers,
Jo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch, I'm bummed that Trek discontinued the XS speed concept. My wife's gen 1 7 series XS is getting a bit long in the tooth, I don't suppose there's any chance you know of any NOS extra smalls around? Just grabbing for straws...
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [joddly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joddly wrote:
Hi Mitch,
I love my SC, but I have yet to fly with it without having to hunt out a mechanic to check it over after I’ve struggled to rebuild it.
Assuming Trek will have a presence in Kona, will it be possible to book a slot for this, as a mere Age-Grouper? I’ve been lucky in the past that the bike has gone fine, but it would be very reassuring to know I could put my bike in expert hands.
Cheers,
Jo

Hey Jo,

I don't know about any presence in Kona, but there will be plenty of SC wizards there and also some great Trek dealers on the island who can help!

Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Hey Mitch, I'm bummed that Trek discontinued the XS speed concept. My wife's gen 1 7 series XS is getting a bit long in the tooth, I don't suppose there's any chance you know of any NOS extra smalls around? Just grabbing for straws...

Unfortunately we don't have any past gen XS sizes available. But you should look at the sizing charts to confirm that the current gen S would or won't fit if you haven't already!

Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [joddly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you mention this. I had a problem putting my SC back together last year (couldn't get the front brake cord to go where it was supposed to after moving it to break down the front end), and went to the expo Tuesday before the race around noon. It was a zoo, I've never been there before, parking was crazy and it was hot as balls so I decided to just park somewhere and carry my bike until I find the Trek tents/booth. After walking around for almost an hour (checked the expo and near hotel) I realized there's no such thing as Trek booth. I then schlepped back and started stopping by every booth with bike techs and eventually the good folks at Ceepo of all brands said they'll help. They didn't get to my bike until the expo ended, at like 5pm so it was quite a long day of nonsense, but they did a great job, and I was glad to have found them.

I seem to remember everyone and their mom, even LG having a booth there, so part of my trouble was I just kept walking around thinking Trek must be there and I've somehow missed it the first 2 times...
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! I have just pre-booked a slot with Bike Works nice and early, so that should be one less thing to worry about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:

Unfortunately we don't have any past gen XS sizes available. But you should look at the sizing charts to confirm that the current gen S would or won't fit if you haven't already!

Well, didn't think so, but it never hurts to ask, thanks anyway! FYI, I wouldn't be interested in an XS Gen 1, they do come up on the secondary market. But Gen 2 initially had an XS only in a WSD 9 series version. Those Gen 2 XS seem to be rare beasts indeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch (or anyone else) - what are your thoughts on the new Domane for gravel? I know it allows for tires up to 38 so wondering how it would hold up for perhaps an event like Dirty Kanza. I currently have a 10 year old Madone for road riding and a Boone for off-road. Was wondering if the new Domane might be able to replace both and do it all....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch, great work on the forum here. I am looking at a Madone and my preferred saddle height is 86cm. On the Trek website it suggests the "Saddle rail height maximum (w/tall mast)" is 82cm. So should I just add the depth of my current saddle to see if its at least 86cm? Or is the maximum saddle height 82cm? Thanks Mitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [lhmd21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lhmd21 wrote:
Hey Mitch (or anyone else) - what are your thoughts on the new Domane for gravel? I know it allows for tires up to 38 so wondering how it would hold up for perhaps an event like Dirty Kanza. I currently have a 10 year old Madone for road riding and a Boone for off-road. Was wondering if the new Domane might be able to replace both and do it all....

I think the Domane has the ability to be a pretty well rounded bike now and can certainly handle gravel riding! If you don't plan to take it on really rough terrain, it would do really well. The Boone can handle more abusive terrain and same goes for the Checkpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [bedfordvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bedfordvan wrote:
Hey Mitch, great work on the forum here. I am looking at a Madone and my preferred saddle height is 86cm. On the Trek website it suggests the "Saddle rail height maximum (w/tall mast)" is 82cm. So should I just add the depth of my current saddle to see if its at least 86cm? Or is the maximum saddle height 82cm? Thanks Mitch.

Thanks! You are spot on for using your saddle. You will want to measure it from the center of the rail to the top to confirm. The 82cm is where you would have your center of rail to at full extension of the seat mast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick response mate. It looks like the 62 will fit! Also, I cannot find on the website what crank length is for the Madone 62? Is it 175? Cheers mate
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [bedfordvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bedfordvan wrote:
Thanks for the quick response mate. It looks like the 62 will fit! Also, I cannot find on the website what crank length is for the Madone 62? Is it 175? Cheers mate

175mm is correct!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch

I'm struggling to get hold of any fit data for the Madone Speed, I have a fit client who would like one and I can get close to matching coordinates by making assumptions but would prefer not to assume anything. Trek dealer can't find anything on Dexter.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch

Welcome aboard.

I have been a happy Speed Concept owner since Gen1 in 2010. In 2015 I changed to the Gen2 Speed Concept.

I had a crash replacement of the frame in April/May after a car accident. I was happy, as always, with the new bike, but……

I discovered that the bike had a small “dent” in the top tube. It is hard to see because of the black paint. I contacted my LBS. They referred me to the Flagship Store, but the Flagship Store send me back to my LBS. The LBS contacted Trek Denmark, send them pictures of the dent, and made a “sound check” of the top tube. The dent is not soft and there is virtually no sound difference when tapping on the top tube. It seems like an error in the fabrication. Trek Denmark said they had to investigate if this is a known problem, and get back to the LBS or me.

Two months has now gone by, and I have not heard anything. It doesn´t look like Trek Denmark is doing anything because the dent seems to be cosmetic. As a long-time loyal Trek customer, I am puzzled by this. I bought a brand new frame, so it should be perfect. Would you buy a brand new car with a dent in the door? Is dents in the frame a known problem for the 2019 frames that Speed Concept buyers should expect? If not could you please help me get on with the case?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch,

I raced at the weekend and dropped my chain at one point, pulling off the chain stay plate on my Gen 1 speed concept. I have bought a new one but wondered what the recommended way to clean the area/re-affix the new plate is?

Thanks!
Steve

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Hi Mitch

I'm struggling to get hold of any fit data for the Madone Speed, I have a fit client who would like one and I can get close to matching coordinates by making assumptions but would prefer not to assume anything. Trek dealer can't find anything on Dexter.

David

Hey David, we don't have any fit guide aside from our standard geometry chart for the Madone Speed, but I reached out to the product team to inquire. If I hear back, expect to see a file in another response to this message you sent.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [RFDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RFDK wrote:
Hi Mitch

Welcome aboard.

I have been a happy Speed Concept owner since Gen1 in 2010. In 2015 I changed to the Gen2 Speed Concept.

I had a crash replacement of the frame in April/May after a car accident. I was happy, as always, with the new bike, but……

I discovered that the bike had a small “dent” in the top tube. It is hard to see because of the black paint. I contacted my LBS. They referred me to the Flagship Store, but the Flagship Store send me back to my LBS. The LBS contacted Trek Denmark, send them pictures of the dent, and made a “sound check” of the top tube. The dent is not soft and there is virtually no sound difference when tapping on the top tube. It seems like an error in the fabrication. Trek Denmark said they had to investigate if this is a known problem, and get back to the LBS or me.

Two months has now gone by, and I have not heard anything. It doesn´t look like Trek Denmark is doing anything because the dent seems to be cosmetic. As a long-time loyal Trek customer, I am puzzled by this. I bought a brand new frame, so it should be perfect. Would you buy a brand new car with a dent in the door? Is dents in the frame a known problem for the 2019 frames that Speed Concept buyers should expect? If not could you please help me get on with the case?

Thanks.

Hey there, if the frame arrived like that, we should be able to replace it with one that is without a cosmetic defect if that is what they deem it to be. To keep this clutter from the forum, could you send me a DM with your full information (name, #, email) as well as your shop's info and your bike frame serial number including any contacts you've spoken to from our EU office?

Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrimalSteve wrote:
Hi Mitch,

I raced at the weekend and dropped my chain at one point, pulling off the chain stay plate on my Gen 1 speed concept. I have bought a new one but wondered what the recommended way to clean the area/re-affix the new plate is?

Thanks!
Steve

Hey Steve, a little Goo-Gone on the original area helps to clean it up as it is light on the paint. Then wipe it with a wet rag (water) and dry it off. Then you should be able to reattach it back to the bike with the 3M backing it should have. If you don't have a backing on it, light double sided tape works best. Just make sure it isn't heavy duty so you don't rip any paint off when you need to remove it again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Hey David, we don't have any fit guide aside from our standard geometry chart for the Madone Speed, but I reached out to the product team to inquire. If I hear back, expect to see a file in another response to this message you sent.

Thanks Mitch.
The standard geometry charts for the Madone SLR have never been all that useful, I've taken measurements off a bike in order to be able to calculate fit.
If the product team do feel like sharing info I have a few other questions:

1. Height on the steerer axis of parts 5 and 2
2. Max steerer spacer height?
3. For the proper stem - is the bar clamp 31.8mm and it's just the interaction of bar and stem that limits the roll to 5deg? Would a normal bar fit?
4. Again for the SLR stem - height of the steerer intersection point on both angles?
5. What is the adjustment range of the seatposts? The chart gives min and max for short and long but not how much the ranges overlap.
6. What is the distance of the front of the rail clamp from the centreline of the posts for each post offset option? Also, length of rail clamp?
7. I can't find how Bontrager bar reach is measured - is it centre to centre or some other variant?

Moving on to the Speed

8. it looks like the tilt adjustment from the SC has not made it across to this bike?
9. There are high and low versions of part 10 (faceplate) - stack of each of those from the bar centre?
10. total stack from bar centre to top of pads
11. Max offset of rear of pads

The chain that is the primary Trek dealer here has 5 stores within an hours drive of me so I get quite a few clients sent in prior to Project One orders. Which means we all want to get things exactly right, plus I can save the store a lot of time with the aerobars by detailing exactly how to set up the slider and wing to avoid them messing around trying to match the position. Since Carl left I've not been able to get the information required to fit the new bikes properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch,

Not exactly Tri related, but something I think should be important to Trek. I just bought an Emonda SLR Project One with upgraded Elite Aluminum Rims, and I was so exited to do its virgin ride climbing Mt St Helen here is Washington state. It was setup from Trek Project One with R3 tires, Bontrager tubes and rim tape. The rim tape was not the sticky kind, and after 3 flats in 10 miles I ran out of cartridges and had to hike my bike back down the mountain. I practically never flat so I simply was not considering the posibility of flatting 3 times in 10 miles. The R3 tires have NO signs of any kind of damage, and all the tube damage was identical in nature and when I fixed it at home I could see the spoke holes making small HALF circles on the rim tapes becauce the tape did not fully cover the holes.

The Elite aluminum rims have spoke holes that are by design quite off the rim center, so the tube kept getting punctured on the very sharp spoke hole edges where the plastic non-sticke rim tape was shifting. I replaced the setup with Velux sticky rim tape and Michelin tubes and tires. I have yet to flat on this setup.

Again, just thought you should know. I know this is tubeless ready, but it should work properly the way it is setup from the manufacturer. The R3 tires BTW are soo tight on the Bontrager rims that I would not use them anyway as a clincher setup - takes almost breaking 3 tire levers to force it on.

I hope this will save some other poor soul from walking 10 miles in bike shoes. It might also be useful for others on the forum here since I see posts of some almost giving up and fine wheels like aluminum rim Zipp 808's, that I ride without really ever flatting, so maybe here the fix is also easy: Good rim tape and well for me at least, Michelin ProRace or Competition tires seem bullet proof.

Cheers, Hans
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:

Thanks Mitch.
The standard geometry charts for the Madone SLR have never been all that useful, I've taken measurements off a bike in order to be able to calculate fit.
If the product team do feel like sharing info I have a few other questions:

1. Height on the steerer axis of parts 5 and 2
2. Max steerer spacer height?
3. For the proper stem - is the bar clamp 31.8mm and it's just the interaction of bar and stem that limits the roll to 5deg? Would a normal bar fit?
4. Again for the SLR stem - height of the steerer intersection point on both angles?
5. What is the adjustment range of the seatposts? The chart gives min and max for short and long but not how much the ranges overlap.
6. What is the distance of the front of the rail clamp from the centreline of the posts for each post offset option? Also, length of rail clamp?
7. I can't find how Bontrager bar reach is measured - is it centre to centre or some other variant?

Moving on to the Speed

8. it looks like the tilt adjustment from the SC has not made it across to this bike?
9. There are high and low versions of part 10 (faceplate) - stack of each of those from the bar centre?
10. total stack from bar centre to top of pads
11. Max offset of rear of pads

The chain that is the primary Trek dealer here has 5 stores within an hours drive of me so I get quite a few clients sent in prior to Project One orders. Which means we all want to get things exactly right, plus I can save the store a lot of time with the aerobars by detailing exactly how to set up the slider and wing to avoid them messing around trying to match the position. Since Carl left I've not been able to get the information required to fit the new bikes properly.

I'll get back to you on all these questions once we gather the answers!

Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [WhySwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhySwim wrote:
Hi Mitch,

Not exactly Tri related, but something I think should be important to Trek. I just bought an Emonda SLR Project One with upgraded Elite Aluminum Rims, and I was so exited to do its virgin ride climbing Mt St Helen here is Washington state. It was setup from Trek Project One with R3 tires, Bontrager tubes and rim tape. The rim tape was not the sticky kind, and after 3 flats in 10 miles I ran out of cartridges and had to hike my bike back down the mountain. I practically never flat so I simply was not considering the posibility of flatting 3 times in 10 miles. The R3 tires have NO signs of any kind of damage, and all the tube damage was identical in nature and when I fixed it at home I could see the spoke holes making small HALF circles on the rim tapes becauce the tape did not fully cover the holes.

The Elite aluminum rims have spoke holes that are by design quite off the rim center, so the tube kept getting punctured on the very sharp spoke hole edges where the plastic non-sticke rim tape was shifting. I replaced the setup with Velux sticky rim tape and Michelin tubes and tires. I have yet to flat on this setup.

Again, just thought you should know. I know this is tubeless ready, but it should work properly the way it is setup from the manufacturer. The R3 tires BTW are soo tight on the Bontrager rims that I would not use them anyway as a clincher setup - takes almost breaking 3 tire levers to force it on.

I hope this will save some other poor soul from walking 10 miles in bike shoes. It might also be useful for others on the forum here since I see posts of some almost giving up and fine wheels like aluminum rim Zipp 808's, that I ride without really ever flatting, so maybe here the fix is also easy: Good rim tape and well for me at least, Michelin ProRace or Competition tires seem bullet proof.

Cheers, Hans

Hey Hans,

Sorry to hear about the flats you had! With the standard rim tape, the spoke nipples shouldn't be hard pressed on the tape, but it seems it was in your case. I would suggest the Bontrager TLR tape if you ever do move tubeless though, as it is a strong plastic to fit into the wheel with a nice snug fit. I'll be sure to pass along your feedback though!

Quote Reply

Prev Next