Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Yeah, probably right. Just thought if any, this is the hilly race where staying in saddle and powering over helps. Ganna looked darn good there last May.

Actually, thinking of it again, if any of the hillier classics turns nasty (men’s WC 2019 style), then all bets are off.

For whatever reason, the super rainy conditions occur mostly in early spring and autumn in Europe, but a hilly classic in a deluge will see the “big-bois” come to the fore.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My hometown! I am always afraid of being attacked from patrons of the various meth den's when I ride on my visits back - now I have to be scared of the bulls too!

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This reply is for anyone really - but where are you guys getting your bike related news these days? Of all the sites I used to frequent, CyclingNews was the last one that had not gone subscription only. Now, as of today for me at least, it's gone subscription only for more than 5 articles per month. It wasn't great, but it was something.

Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
This reply is for anyone really - but where are you guys getting your bike related news these days? Of all the sites I used to frequent, CyclingNews was the last one that had not gone subscription only. Now, as of today for me at least, it's gone subscription only for more than 5 articles per month. It wasn't great, but it was something.

Tough call

Cyclingnews has too many ads and fluff pieces for me to want to pay for its product.

So right now, it's a combination of CyclingTips (for which I pay) and The Guardian (for which I pay, and which has live commentary on quite a few races).

I might do a short term trial and pay for cyclingnews, but it will need to improve its journalism standards quite a bit before I want to pay for it.

I should mention that I'm an outlier here: I pay for WaPo (though Sally Jenkins can go eff off), The Guardian, my local news (more expensive than any of the other items on this list), and CyclingTips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
flynnzu wrote:

Tough call

Cyclingnews has too many ads and fluff pieces for me to want to pay for its product.

So right now, it's a combination of CyclingTips (for which I pay) and The Guardian (for which I pay, and which has live commentary on quite a few races).

I might do a short term trial and pay for cyclingnews, but it will need to improve its journalism standards quite a bit before I want to pay for it.

I should mention that I'm an outlier here: I pay for WaPo (though Sally Jenkins can go eff off), The Guardian, my local news (more expensive than any of the other items on this list), and CyclingTips.

ST Spoilers thread. All the news that's fit to chop up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
CN has been good enough for me, and their comments section is sometimes fun. I figured I'd try the $1 first month intro and see how things go. So I signed up today, but even though I got the "welcome to CN email" and I'm "signed in", I still get the "you've already read 5 articles so you need to sign in to read further" message. (i.e. I can't read more than the first few sentences of today's articles.) Maybe they're swamped and it's going to take some time to catch up, but it's not been a great start.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Maybe they're swamped and it's going to take some time to catch up, but it's not been a great start.

They strike me as being an absolute shitshow on the technical management side. Compared to VeloNews or CyclingTips which use mature content management platforms. CN strikes me as being 3 guys down at the pub with a laptop.

On the other hand CN is great at super timely results on most races. Which VeloNews and CyclingTips aren't great at. It's a conundrum.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 14, 22 16:16
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a bit of irony, CN’s long time editor, Daniel Benson, just moved to VN. Which, as y’all probably know is owned by Outside, which also bought CyclingTips, Pinkbike, Peloton Mag and Bicycle Retailer, among a hoard of enthusiast titles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Maybe they're swamped and it's going to take some time to catch up, but it's not been a great start.

They strike me as being an absolute shitshow on the technical management side. Compared to VeloNews or CyclingTips which use mature content management platforms. CN strikes me as being 3 guys down at the pub with a laptop.

On the other hand CN is great at super timely results on most races. Which VeloNews and CyclingTips aren't great at. It's a conundrum.
I have the VeloNews Pass, and it's good for the articles. As far as results, there's generally an article, but without the complete list of where all of the riders finished.

I hope my CN subscription gets sorted out. I'm still locked out from reading beyond the first couple of sentences, but I can get to the comments, so there's that!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh Toon! Doping denial of course.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

In sharp contrast, everyone is quick with the latest doping scandal: https://www.google.com/...=chrome&ie=UTF-8

What breast cancer drug? Is this a new one?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:

In sharp contrast, everyone is quick with the latest doping scandal: https://www.google.com/...=chrome&ie=UTF-8

What breast cancer drug? Is this a new one?

Dang it. I like underdog Toon, and Sven Nys' Lions are one of my favorite teams. I hope there is some plausible explanation before he goes on my Betsema list (though my problem with her situation wasn't so much her as the ridiculously short sanction she got after testing positive twice for "the good stuff.")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.usada.org/spirit-of-sport/education/6-things-know-letrozole/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
trail wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

I have the VeloNews Pass, and it's good for the articles. As far as results, there's generally an article, but without the complete list of where all of the riders finished.

I hope my CN subscription gets sorted out. I'm still locked out from reading beyond the first couple of sentences, but I can get to the comments, so there's that!
Woo whooo!! My CN subscription is working! All the news that's fit to print. It just took them a day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Woo whooo!! My CN subscription is working! All the news that's fit to print. It just took them a day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Oh Toon! Doping denial of course.

:(

Sounds like it was being used in PCT after an exogenous testosterone cycle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big boi Ganna did a nicely paced climb yesterday. He put up his ride and it looks like 35 minutes at 471 watts AP. I am actually surprised it wasn't higher to be honest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend just sent me Nairoman's time on the final climb. He is certainly going well. Hopefully we see this form hold in to the big races.

MONTAGNE DE LURE

PARIS-NICE (13.71 km, 6.46 %, 885 m)

2009 | 33:52 | Contador
2013 | 34:44 | Porte

TOUR DE LA PROVENCE (13.28 km, 6.59 %, 875 m) | #TDLP2022

2022 | 32:48 | N.Quintana

equal to 33:26 Paris-Nice
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just made this mistake of watching this years Astana rap video. I was already sad Joe D. went there, but WTF did they make him do in that video? Say it aint so Joe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those who have known my banter going back ~10 years probably know that I have a really soft spot for Cadel Evans. I first started watching bike racing right after I bought my first serious road bike in 2009, and of course, his World Championship win in Mendrisio was such a masterstroke of panache, determination, and guile that it was partially responsible for tuning me into bike racing, both as spectator and as participant.

Well, apparently Evans is a paying Cyclingtip reader. So if anyone needs an endorsement for subscribing, there's a good one.

Also, footage of that race (scroll to 3:45:00 for where things really begins). Eat your heart out, Cancellara!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was an amazing performance. I don't have a whole lot of confidence in a lot of sport, but one thing I truly believe is that Cadel did it the right way.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today will be a good one at Algarve I believe.

In other news poor Gaviria is sidelined for the 3rd time with covid.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Covi's looking great. I didn't think that attack would stick but he just held it. UAE's built up quite the squad around Taddy Po.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today was boring, until it wasn't! Crazy finish.

turdburgler wrote:
Today will be a good one at Algarve I believe.

In other news poor Gaviria is sidelined for the 3rd time with covid.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Covi's looking great.

Yeah, I thought he was doing a Dan Martin, but he went to the well 2-3 times for re-accelerations. Well done.
Quote Reply

Prev Next