Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I never get the staring at each other, especially the small teams. Take your chances out of that break and finish 10th at worst. Or dick around and let the peloton catch and finish 98th.

Every once in a while you see a guy just put his head down and ride, leaving it to fate. Or to Taco.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need more Tacos and fewer Vegetable Lasagnas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone is interested in bantering on Discord for the classics, let me know (via PM or a reply to my post)

Will try to set up a Discord server and have the details shortly.

If there are at least 5 "yesses" for an event, the Discord event will be on. Stay for as much or little of the watch & chat as you'd like. I'm making it 5 participant minimum, as I'm concerned that things might otherwise get dull over the course of an hour or so (though perhaps that would instill a greater sense of empathy in us for the likes of Phil and Paul).

Also remember that there’s the zwift riding option as well. This is more as a way to burn some AM calories while watching.

It’s on a trial basis for now, for 3 events that take place on a Saturday or Sunday
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 2, 22 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

It may be even worse than that - there are rumors of tofu in the peloton.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

It may be even worse than that - there are rumors of tofu in the peloton.

Meanwhile Sagan is officially "old". Complaining out all the kids who have no respect, and amusingly describing the peloton as a rolling golden shower.

"The younger generation lacks that respect. You see, you feel that. In the past, you had the unwritten rules in the race. Now, forget it. There is total anarchy there.â€

I'm not sure who he's talking about. He'd know far better than any of us, but the modern generation of superstars (WvA, MdVP, Alaphillipe, Roglic, Pogacar, Bernal) all strike me as pretty well versed in the unwritten rules, and pretty well spoken.

This coming from this guy:

Last edited by: trail: Mar 2, 22 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's old is new again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
What's old is new again.

Resonates with me except that I truly am a grumpy old man at this point. Love the guy and I hope he's playing a bit of possum. But I fear he's cooked.

Speaking of old, I've been diagnosed with the "widow maker" blockage in the ticker and need a stent and I hope that's all. Good news is that I went in and got checked after a buddy at 57 bought the farm in January while shoveling snow. I didn't show any symptoms other than significantly high blood pressure, some fatigue and not being able to push and hold intensity and watts the way I'm used to. Being aerobically good actually sort of masks symptoms. You're not the typical patient getting gassed just walking up the stairs. But I had just chalked it up to age.

So get checked out. It's better than going face down or tits up. Either way. Not good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on Peto and hope he brings the heat this spring. But I can't help but wonder if this is all just a big marketing exercise / retirement package for him.

Holy shite, glad you get that checked out. If it's not the cars, it's the goddang ticker. Scary as hell for sure. A couple years ago a buddy and I did a stress test at UC Davis lab and a cardiologist checked it out for same reason. Definitely makes the age felt but like you said, better than face down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crap. Good luck with the Cardiologist.

McNulty wrote:
I truly am a grumpy old man at this point.

I can find a teen to set up Discord for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, hope you get that thing sorted!
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
If anyone is interested in bantering on Discord for the classics, let me know (via PM or a reply to my post)

Will try to set up a Discord server and have the details shortly.

If there are at least 5 "yesses" for an event, the Discord event will be on. Stay for as much or little of the watch & chat as you'd like. I'm making it 5 participant minimum, as I'm concerned that things might otherwise get dull over the course of an hour or so (though perhaps that would instill a greater sense of empathy in us for the likes of Phil and Paul).

Also remember that there’s the zwift riding option as well. This is more as a way to burn some AM calories while watching.

It’s on a trial basis for now, for 3 events that take place on a Saturday or Sunday

I've never joined a discord, but I'll give it a go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
What's old is new again.

Resonates with me except that I truly am a grumpy old man at this point. Love the guy and I hope he's playing a bit of possum. But I fear he's cooked.

Speaking of old, I've been diagnosed with the "widow maker" blockage in the ticker and need a stent and I hope that's all. Good news is that I went in and got checked after a buddy at 57 bought the farm in January while shoveling snow. I didn't show any symptoms other than significantly high blood pressure, some fatigue and not being able to push and hold intensity and watts the way I'm used to. Being aerobically good actually sort of masks symptoms. You're not the typical patient getting gassed just walking up the stairs. But I had just chalked it up to age.

So get checked out. It's better than going face down or tits up. Either way. Not good.

Glad you are getting this sorted ahead of anything being worse. My old man had this done 20 years ago and is kicking ass still. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Gents!

Jim, in for Discord.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The server address on Discord is the following link.

What all this entails is to have a copy of Discord running (could be on your phone or on your computer, I prefer using the app on my phone), and going to the link above. That should get you into the specific server we'll be using.

As for this Saturday (Strade Bianche), I'm not quite sure about the exact time table, but it seems like the race should end ~10:30 EST / 16:30 CET(though likely a bit earlier than that). I'll hop on the server at ~9 AM EST. No need to join from the start or stay all the way to the finish; feel free to stop by and leave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn McNulty, scary news, but good to catch it. This kind of thing freaks me out at almost 43 and with a family history of heart disease. My doc seems unconcerned as I'm apparently healthy and without any symptoms, but there's so much stuff like this that you wouldn't know it's a problem until it kills you. I should probably be more insistent on getting some tests done.

As for the race banter... it pretty much only works on Sundays for me. I had to watch Omloop as a replay last week, and I'll likely have to do the same with Strade this weekend. I've got the discord link to it's possible I pop in towards the finale, but realistically I'd probably rather not just tune in for the final 10km as it's one of my favourite races and lots of opportunities for action from pretty far out.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Damn McNulty, scary news, but good to catch it. This kind of thing freaks me out at almost 43 and with a family history of heart disease. My doc seems unconcerned as I'm apparently healthy and without any symptoms, but there's so much stuff like this that you wouldn't know it's a problem until it kills you. I should probably be more insistent on getting some tests done.

Senator Davis, et al.
It seems to me that the calcium scan especially is worth doing. EKGs can be fine. It's all about the plaque and catching it before it goes too far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear but glad you have gotten a chance to get this taken care of
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just signed on for the Discord, though I wont be able to be there for Strada but hopefully will for some other races.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for joining

and here's a request, suggestion for a group "profile" photo?

I'm thinking of Lemond at 89 Worlds, but thought someone probably knows of something more appropriate.

Otherwise the group appears as SCS (for slowtwitch cycling spectators)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:

Senator Davis, et al.
It seems to me that the calcium scan especially is worth doing. EKGs can be fine. It's all about the plaque and catching it before it goes too far.

Glad to hear you got it diagnosed before it could do damage. And thanks for the info on this.
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 4, 22 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pogacar
Alaphillipe
Fulsang

Mohoric
Simmons
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great picks.

Here are mine for Strade:
Pog
Ala
Benoot

Covi
Simmons
Last edited by: turdburgler: Mar 4, 22 5:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the women's race I am hoping for Vollering or Niewiadoma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pidcock is out due to "stomach virus'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply

Prev Next