Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure. It's insane this is happening today and even more so in Europe. Too bad former president numbnuts can't fire his favorite thug.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
Are we making calls on Le Samyn?

Not according to Dear Leader WannaB. Next up are Strade and MSR.

Edit: Though I'm totally down making off-the-record picks.

I'm down too!
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
For sure. It's insane this is happening today and even more so in Europe. Too bad former president numbnuts can't fire his favorite thug.

It truly is bizarre. Without going too far off the rails, I'll just say this. Putin has done more to unify Europe in a week than has been done in many decades.

It will be interesting to see if the UCI participates in any of the sanctions that have popped up against Russian athletics. I can't see them doing it and frankly I don't think it is fair to individual athletes. They are just normal people caught in the mess a horrendous government is creating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess my question is answered. The Tour of Norway announced they are banning Gazprom-Rusvelo from the race.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was very touching. I remember when Tchmil won Paris-Roubaix, in epic conditions. Sounds like he is still a hardman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I don't think it is fair to individual athletes. They are just normal people caught in the mess a horrendous government is creating.

It's not fair. But in these situations it's always a balancing act between allowing sports to be a unifying force that helps bridge cultural divides or just another propaganda "sports-washing" tool in the arsenal of bad governments.

In this instance I'm OK with temporarily "cancelling" all Russian athletes. I feel bad for the athletes who may personally detest the war. But at this point the message to the Russian government needs to be unambiguous. You don't get to be represented on the international stage in any capacity until you fix this.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was a bad MFer that is for sure.

Le Samyn fun picks since they don't count.

Campanaerts off the front
Jakobsen
The Hof

Phil Gil wildcard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David double dee Dekker
Stan hungry like DeWulf
Freddie tenth avenue Frison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sort of agree, but it's a slippery slope. The Olympic thing was similar.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Feb 28, 22 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vermeersch, Naesen, Dutch Taco
Jakobsen, Merlier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vermeersch is a great selection and has been looking very strong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Jakobsen, Merlier

Taco "Tuesday" was pretty darn good the other day. Sort of like Hayman's famous day, he was strong in the break all day, then one of the strongest once the break got caught.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was definitely a 3 Margarita performance. Hope he gets a one-day before long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Jakobsen, Merlier

Taco "Tuesday" was pretty darn good the other day. Sort of like Hayman's famous day, he was strong in the break all day, then one of the strongest once the break got caught.

He was thinking and looking and positioning the whole time. Super ride. Like Hayman, yessir.

If I were going with more serious picks tomorrow I might pick Tom van Asbroeck who looked good in KBK. I just couldn't think up a nickname for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
If I were going with more serious picks tomorrow I might pick Tom van Asbroeck who looked good in KBK. I just couldn't think up a nickname for him.

"Going For" Asbroeck? That's all I've got.

Fabio (again)
Merlier
Trentin

Postleberger
Terpstra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Le Samyn I like Merlier for the sprint. Taco and Campenaerts for a late break.

But let's have some fun here and give some other guys a shot:

Rasmus Tiller, Amaury Capiot and Brent Van Moer
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a great win for Emma Norsgaard today. I'm pleased to see her on the top step after a string of strong seconds last year.

The men's race looks to be starting with some carnage. Vermeersch looks pretty battered but is back on the bike at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And there goes my other pick, Naesen. My hopes now rest on it being a Taco Tuesday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Preliminary Strade picks:
Pogacar, Benoot, Mohoric
Sepp, Pidcock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
And there goes my other pick, Naesen. My hopes now rest on it being a Taco Tuesday.

AG2R did a nice job of blocking for Hungry Like.

Fearless Pat has apparently been losing his sh*t at the Pack. They really miss Le Tractor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just caught the replay

I'm glad that Trentin took it. That was really close, both in terms of almost getting caught by second place and needing to jostle second place just a tad, and nearly getting caught by the charging peloton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
That was a great win for Emma Norsgaard today.

Creating a women's team was apparently smart by Movistar! And once Gigante gets back into action they're going to have a good number of weapons.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trentin deserved that one, he took it upon himself. Almost left it too late!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way that front group was playing around at the end it looked like it was going to go the way of the women's race with the peloton making a last minute catch. Trentin deserved that one... strong driving that split and doing lots of work on the front, then real cagey at the end and not panicking when everyone stopped riding and started to looking at him.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never get the staring at each other, especially the small teams. Take your chances out of that break and finish 10th at worst. Or dick around and let the peloton catch and finish 98th.
Quote Reply

Prev Next