Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [stonerider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet he wins MSR, is in the running at Flanders and done for Roubaix. He’s already flying.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
TA should be an awesome showdown of the youngsters:
Pog, Remco, Vinggegard

P-N: Roglic, Nairoman, McNulty

I think TA is going to be the intersting one. Pog and Vinggeard have been pretty evenly matched in prevous match ups and I don't know if Remco has ever lined up against either one in a stage race. Remco looks a little too stocky this year to climb with either one, but his TT against Kung a couple weeks ago was crazy. Watching him against Ganna in tomorrow's TT could be interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I bet he wins MSR, is in the running at Flanders and done for Roubaix. He’s already flying.

I do worry a bit because he has done so much racing and has been so strong for so long (getting stronger too). That said, he and his coach both said he is still not yet on form so I trust they have this worked out. I know Primoz and Wout said its the longest they ever stayed at altitude (3 weeks).
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FFS they have Sweet Child of Mine on repeat at the start ramp. Make it stop.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In all of history [or at least since 1987], I think no one has ever said "Make it stop" in regards to "Sweet Child O Mine" but I could be wrong

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

I do worry a bit because he has done so much racing and has been so strong for so long (getting stronger too). That said, he and his coach both said he is still not yet on form so I trust they have this worked out. I know Primoz and Wout said its the longest they ever stayed at altitude (3 weeks).

I would hope that MSR gets de-emphasized, and Flanders and Roubaix get emphasized. He does have a win at MSR already, after all.

Also, when it comes to repeat winners of MSR, is Freire the last one? I think the list goes (top of my head):

2010: Freire (3rd win)
2011: Goss (there's a one hit wonder)
2012: Gerrans
2013: Ciolek (another one hit wonder)
2014: Kristoff
2015: Degencobble
2016: Demare, i think?
2017: Kwiatek
2018: Nibali
2019: Alaphilippe
2020: WvA
2021: Stuyven

turdburgler wrote:

Which one is worse: Sweet Child of Mine on repeat or having 7 Nation Army played at various sport venues?
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 7, 22 8:06
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
In all of history [or at least since 1987], I think no one has ever said "Make it stop" in regards to "Sweet Child O Mine" but I could be wrong

It was the 10th time hearing it that sent me over the edge. They switched to Jump by Van Halen afterward and I was initially excited, until it kept repeating for 10 more riders!

Remco only 10 seconds off Ganna here is insane. Great ride by Dowsett. Pog looks like he is feeling Strade.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Mar 7, 22 8:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

I would hope that MSR gets de-emphasized, and Flanders and Roubaix get emphasized. He does have a win at MSR already, after all. Agreed

Also, when it comes to repeat winners of MSR, is Freire the last one? I think the list goes (top of my head):

2010: Freire (3rd win)
2011: Goss (there's a one hit wonder)
2012: Gerrans
2013: Ciolek (another one hit wonder)
2014: Kristoff
2015: Degencobble
2016: Demare, i think?
2017: Kwiatek
2018: Nibali
2019: Alaphilippe
2020: WvA
2021: Stuyven

turdburgler wrote:

Which one is worse: Sweet Child of Mine on repeat or having 7 Nation Army played at various sport venues?

Agreed on all points regarding emphasizing Flanders and Roubaix. 7 Nation Army is brutal. Same with Welcome to the Jungle 30 times a game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, a second straight episode of a A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Sprint Finish at Paris-Nice Crosswinds all day.

Feel bad for Matty-Jo who worked his ass off for like an hour to pull the 2nd echelon to within like 5 seconds before crossing wheels (it looks like with a teammate).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Which one is worse: "Sweet Child O Mine" on repeat or having "Seven Nation Army" played at various sport venues?

https://deadspin.com/...the-sports-w-5875933

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
"Seven Nation Army" is brutal. Same with "Welcome to the Jungle" 30 times a game.

In Philly, it is THE LAW that all races begin with some Rocky variation = "Gonna Fly Now" or "Eye of the Tiger" but at least they only play them at the beginning

In certain instances - when a crucial play is required at an Eagles game, for example - the ring bell and the fanfare from Rocky are also pumped over the PA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
In certain instances - when a crucial play is required at an Eagles game, for example - the ring bell and the fanfare from Rocky are also pumped over the PA

So not Springsteen's Streets of Philadelphia?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too depressing

"Born to Run" sometimes, but that's more of a Jersey thing

Last edited by: RandMart: Mar 7, 22 8:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

This one may fall under, "You do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten. "

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feeling Strade perhaps, but only 7 seconds off his marker. I think he'll take it.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
"Seven Nation Army" is brutal. Same with "Welcome to the Jungle" 30 times a game.

In Philly, it is THE LAW that all races begin with some Rocky variation = "Gonna Fly Now" or "Eye of the Tiger" but at least they only play them at the beginning

Queen.

I imagine Freddy Mercury's favorite nieces and nephews going CHA CHING every time Champions or We Will Rock You come on. 30 years?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
I imagine Freddy Mercury's favorite nieces and nephews going CHA CHING every time Champions or We Will Rock You come on. 30 years?

They probably make more money from Spotify or Classic Rock radio stations than they do from stadium plays, but sure; that Gravy Train ain't ever stopping

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Too depressing

Had that played before a marathon in San Fran. A bit of an incongruous choice, as the song really isn't about the activity of running.

turdburgler wrote:
7 Nation Army is brutal. Same with Welcome to the Jungle 30 times a game.

In that regard, it's good that one of your fav teams (Bayern München, iirc) had enough sense to stop playing 7 Nation Army after every Bayern goal and instead play Offenbach's Galop Inferno (aka, the Can-Can music)

Also, there's no rendition of Handel's Zadok the Priest before important matches here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

haha too good.

JV showed again their strength and class. Jakobsen is on another level right now though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Jakobsen is on another level right now though.

He's not making it easy for Third Person Pat to send Cav to the TdF. Blew by WvA like it was nothing, and that was coming off a shaky leadout. Though with a Netflix special or whatever already being bandied about, I wonder at this point if it's going to be determined by results, or just marketing potential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Had that played before a marathon in San Fran. A bit of an incongruous choice, as the song really isn't about the activity of running.

Was Chris McDougall around, maybe?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
echappist wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Was Chris McDougall around, maybe?

I thought you were going to comment with the one about Lust for Life not really being about having fun in a healthy way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
You would be correct if you're talking about the first three and one-half minutes of the song.

But who needs another 90 seconds of "where do we go now"?

(I see where the song has over 1.3 BILLION views on YouTube. Holy potato!)

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#1 played song on Guitar Hero

and we’ve all seen turdburgler’s set up…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Jakobsen is on another level right now though.

With Jakobsen out of position there and Laporte dropping off Wout, and I was like "More JV dominance! Wout's got this!" and then... nope. Another level is right. Pure power.
Quote Reply

Prev Next