Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [chasb533533] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM site now says 70.3 PR is 'postponed'

Oceanside is still a go as far as the organizer is concerned, but yeah local or state authorities will probably deny the permit.

This will not even peak until late April or May. I hope it blows over by Victoria but it probably won't.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bevoman in Austin has been cancelled since it was run by the Texas tri club, and all Longhorn athletics are on suspension.

-----
Last edited by: Optimal_Adrian: Mar 13, 20 6:05
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
April or May? August September more like.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe this is an opportunity for triathlon to take back a community looking (*in the future) to do athletic pursuits...I certainly hope it is this and not a crippling blow making people scared to even participate in large races.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
IM site now says 70.3 PR is 'postponed'

Oceanside is still a go as far as the organizer is concerned, but yeah local or state authorities will probably deny the permit.

This will not even peak until late April or May. I hope it blows over by Victoria but it probably won't.

A military personnel tested positive today at Camp Pendleton. I'm sure a military base will be keen to adhere to state authorities especially if it puts their soldiers unnecessarily at risk, even if the the race organizers don't want to cancel. I literally just got off the trainer halfway through a workout.
Last edited by: Jimbotri: Mar 12, 20 15:45
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
Messick's statement here is pretty mindboggling. "Athlete density will be decreased by increasing individual race space staging, corrals, etc". The guy is clueless.

Yeah that was an almost Trump like thing to say

are They are also going to enforce no-drafting?(pink)
Last edited by: EiE_: Mar 12, 20 15:58
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [EiE_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why they just don't cancel all the races for the next few months instead of keeping folks in limbo.

Ironman can try and hold events all they want but I just don't see how it can happen without the support of the community i e Logistics

I'm just going to assume HIM in Galveston and IM Texas are goners.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [EiE_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some interesting info out today in the UK and the reasoning behind it.

Form the government's chief scientific officer and the chief medical officer (so not just Bullsh1t Boris, but actual clever guys).
And i can assure you (a) I'm cynical to politician speak, and (b) I'm hardly a fan on BS Boris.

Why we've not shut borders (except limits on specific high risk areas) - assessment is tje impsct on reducing the problem is minimal (not said why but prob because its a drop in the ocean as the virus is here in thousands already).

Based on stats (+ive tests, deaths, other virology knowledge etc) estimates 5-10k have it in the population (vs circa 460 confirmed cases as of this morn). So it's here and around us.

Why not close schools (at the moment at least) - vital stat was that to be effective it would need 13-16 WEEKS shutdown and kids kept apart. And keeping kids apart for 16 weeks has zero possibility.
+ likely 'unforseen consequence'? Kids go to grandparents for care etc as parents working. Result? Exactly tjose you're trying to protect have a much INCREASED risk of getting it due to the new increased disease pools from the kids.

Why not shut down big sports events ? Again evidence is the impact is small / insignificant. (Eg football or rugby... outdoors, UV reduces spread, etc. And again counter-risk that if say football is cancelled or behind closed doors... the same people go watch the game indoors at a pub with HIGHER chance of spread.

Fatality rate. Said overall 1% is espimated. But that's higher for old people and lower for younger.

Also aware that restrictions / limitations have to be timed well to avoid 'going top early' as otherwise by the time it's needed people have got bored and don't adhere.

The next stage weve just entered is all about slowing it down to spread the load on hospitals/ carers / intensive care units.

Some intetesting logical discussions from the CMO / CSO.
____

Seperate interview wirh Brit delegate to IOC. Basically its 4+ months away. Will wait and see (reading between the lines it'll be late june to decide whether to rin or defer Olympics - as late a decision as possible).
Olympics behind closed doors ? Said it's Possible in theory but the ticket sales are vital to not have a huge finance hole from it. So that means if it's not in July/Aug as planned they'll delay rather than do it sans-spectators.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Some interesting info out today in the UK and the reasoning behind it.

Form the government's chief scientific officer and the chief medical officer (so not just Bullsh1t Boris, but actual clever guys).
And i can assure you (a) I'm cynical to politician speak, and (b) I'm hardly a fan on BS Boris.

Why not close schools (at the moment at least) - vital stat was that to be effective it would need 13-16 WEEKS shutdown and kids kept apart. And keeping kids apart for 16 weeks has zero possibility.
+ likely 'unforseen consequence'? Kids go to grandparents for care etc as parents working. Result? Exactly tjose you're trying to protect have a much INCREASED risk of getting it due to the new increased disease pools from the kids.

In the Seattle area we just closed all k-12 schools till April 24th... so they are giving at least the short term closure a try (my kids school has already been closed for over a week so it will be about 8 weeks total of no school. And yes.. the kids still move around but the idea is the number of people they contact each day is less than all being in school + family + activities.

Quote | Reply
I would agree. Nobody is going to come out and volunteer, people are not going to travel long distances or from over seas. The race would happen for 200-500 people with no support while shutting down the area. The upside for the race is they don't have to give refunds if they hold the race or postpone it.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Last edited by: timr: Mar 12, 20 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USA Swimming cancelling all of their events, and strongly recommending that other events (which they aren't the organizer for) are cancelled as well

No national level statement from Swimming Canada as of yet, at least not that I've been able to find.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [stahop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, folks, when Disneyland announces it is closing,
You know it’s game over.
The park has closed only three times before.
JFK assassination in 1963
Northridge Earthquake
9/11 attack.
Now Coronavirus/COVID-19

https://laist.com/...ings_coronavirus.php

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disney World is closing too.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haines City is all but cancelled.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Formula One Australian Grand Prix cancelled a couple of hours ago, on the day the festivities started.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oceanside has officially been postponed!
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
Messick's statement here is pretty mindboggling. "Athlete density will be decreased by increasing individual race space staging, corrals, etc". The guy is clueless.

Yeah that was an almost Trump like thing to say

I got a visual of him taking a Sharpie, putting dots on a rubber band and saying "Look!!! If we do THIS!!!!"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Topshap1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Topshap1 wrote:
Source?

Quote | Reply
Post #212
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
Topshap1 wrote:
Source?

Scroll up a few posts.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May 9th is Gulf Coast 70.3... REALLY hoping for the best, but with each passing day it's looking worse.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
gregtay wrote:
Topshap1 wrote:

Source?

Scroll up a few posts.

Thx. I think I will go have a beer now and skip tomorrows workout. :-O

So nice that we find out from the Oceanside city page vs. from Ironman and all their emails/posts today.

Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
gregtay wrote:
Topshap1 wrote:

Source?

Scroll up a few posts.

So nice that we find out from the Oceanside city page vs. from Ironman and all their emails/posts today.

Ironman must have got to the city because that bullet point is now missing from their site...
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mugen_EP wrote:
gregtay wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
gregtay wrote:
Topshap1 wrote:

Source?

Scroll up a few posts.

Ironman must have got to the city because that bullet point is now missing from their site...

I am guessing that tonight there was a city leadership meeting and they made the decision for Ironman... might not have even to told them since the IM guys are in Florida and it is late there. Someone at the city is efficient at their website updating duties!

Prev Next