Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done you say..... Give it a rest. No one's rejoicing we're just not kidding ourselves and living in an alternate reality like you are right now. There's bigger things happening in the world then our sport that we all love.

Whatever you are smoking thinking that somehow in the grand scheme of things this sport means anyting when compared to this virus I really want some of it.!!!
Last edited by: Fishbum: Apr 15, 20 4:21
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev that entire post is so far beyond appropriate. Its a sickening suggestion that people find joy in what is happening right now.

As one of those people with secure government employment and no expectations of racing this year - I do think predictions that races resume next spring are the most realistic. That does not in any way mean I'm happy about it. This is financially devastating for tens of millions of people, many race directors and industry workers likely included. I'm not looking for refunds from anybody. I don't want a refund form USAT, race directors, etc. I'm registering for virtual races to keep money flowing their way. But thats also just a tiny slice of whats happening - this situation is heartbreaking for the entire country/world. Nobody is fucking celebrating it...

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Vienna VA tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vienna VA tri wrote:
Quote:
In any case, go enjoy the death of events, businesses, employment and entire sporting ecosystems. Its free to you to rejoice in glee, at the demise of others. Well done.

Dev, you're tired, we're all tired. The last thing I think we want to see (and I"m only speaking for myself) is the demise of our sport and sporting events. Most of my events have been postponed (and likely cancelled) with no complaint from me. Locally, we are supporting local restaurants by ordering take-out 3-4 times a week. We have an adequate pantry and food in the freezer but we do this to support local business.

Brain-storming question. What can we do to help local RDs who are watching their bottom-line turn south? I"m not an RD. I assume if they've purchased bulk gatorade, it has gone to food banks. Would purchasing already printed T-shirts help? ST has a very rich history of helping; I'd like to do my part in helping, I'm just not sure how I can. Any ideas? All ears.

It's been said in another thread that ANY income to the RDs would help. Sign up for some local races that you fully expect to not happen or that you may DNS.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Norseman Xtreme posted on facebook about 45 minutes ago, race postponed to 2021.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
Dev that entire post is so far beyond appropriate. Its a sickening suggestion that people find joy in what is happening right now.

As one of those people with secure government employment and no expectations of racing this year - I do think predictions that races resume next spring are the most realistic. That does not in any way mean I'm happy about it. This is financially devastating for tens of millions of people, many race directors and industry workers likely included. I'm not looking for refunds from anybody. I don't want a refund form USAT, race directors, etc. I'm registering for virtual races to keep money flowing their way. But thats also just a tiny slice of whats happening - this situation is heartbreaking for the entire country/world. Nobody is fucking celebrating it...

Almost exactly what I was going to post.

Dev is a super bright guy but he has lost touch with some critical thinking here and is running completely on emotion. We are not racing this year. There’s zero chance. Next summer maybe.

I’ve deferred two races already (Gulf Coast 70.3 and Hawaii 70.3) to May and June of 2021. I think those dates could be a stretch.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
It's been said in another thread that ANY income to the RDs would help. Sign up for some local races that you fully expect to not happen or that you may DNS.

So far one local race that I've signed up for has been postponed to late summer at a date that doesn't work for me. I waived my option to defer the registration until next year and told the RD I'd just pay for any future events. He was very appreciative. I also have a couple of free registrations owed to me by another local RD as a result of volunteering, and I plan to never use those freebies. Small gestures but if enough of us can do this it would help. Of course, I wouldn't advocate for those that have lost their jobs to do this, and I would only do it for the local RDs.

We have some really good local RDs in my area and I'm really hoping they survive this. I'm not personally convinced there should be a tri season at all this year. But that doesn't mean I take any "joy" in it, it's personally disappointing but more importantly a huge problem for those that make their living out of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, I'm not running on emotion I am looking at these from the angle of those running the events and tourism business side.

If race organizers want to have a chance to have a means to earn an income later this year (like all other businesses) and not lay of staff, this is a good thing versus them all throwing in the towel and folding up shop. The economy needs all businesses and industry to give it a shot and try to revive themselves in the second half of this year and not fold shop. This is good for everyone. If races all defer to later this year, just for a shot of staying in business noting that they may have to cancel, its still an effort on their part, that we can support versus actively discourage.

If we can support it, that would be great. It could be as simple as registering for a race this year provided the race director gives the option that your fee gets transferred to next year just so they can have a chance. I am signed up for several events not just in sport, but in business and if they happen they happen, but I don't need to actively discourage them as some of you are.

I get that its realistic that many events won't happen, but let's give these businesses a chance should the economy open up. Minimally they should happen next year with a deferral. Its pretty redundant for athletes coming on here and just saying "its not gonna happen".

I think we have a world of politicians locking everything down from happening anyway, so as a community why not all of us push for what could be happen (and I get in this climate, people like myself who are a generally a silent group are being shamed from voicing anything about getting back to any semblance of normal life, so most are reluctant to even speak, as if discussing how we get back to normal life, is both a bad thing and precludes any compassion for those of us affected directly from a health angle on Covid19....its not one camp or the other, we can be supporting both)

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:

Thanks for supporting the race directors. My comments were largely directed to Fishbum and GMAN, but it would be helpful if people talk about how we can help the event organizers get through this then drive a negative spiral trending to why nothing will happen. My main point, is the easy way out is indeed talking about and promoting why something won't happen (I have a startup company, and this is exactly what people tell startups all the time...customers say it won't work, investors don't want to invest, employees only want to join when you are making money). The world is filled with naysayers, but race organizers are a different breed of people. They generally operate in the context of what is possible when most sane people with their intellect and energy will just take a comfortable corporate job. They do something that has no thanks in general, and they operate a very difficult business fraught with many things that can continuously go wrong.

Almost every race organizer I know right now is TRYING. They are not giving up. If we give up on them it just makes their lives harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Guys, I'm not running on emotion I am looking at these from the angle of those running the events and tourism business side.

If race organizers want to have a chance to have a means to earn an income later this year (like all other businesses) and not lay of staff, this is a good thing versus them all throwing in the towel and folding up shop. The economy needs all businesses and industry to give it a shot and try to revive themselves in the second half of this year and not fold shop. This is good for everyone. If races all defer to later this year, just for a shot of staying in business noting that they may have to cancel, its still an effort on their part, that we can support versus actively discourage.

If we can support it, that would be great. It could be as simple as registering for a race this year provided the race director gives the option that your fee gets transferred to next year just so they can have a chance. I am signed up for several events not just in sport, but in business and if they happen they happen, but I don't need to actively discourage them as some of you are.

I'm fine with what you wrote here. Support all you want. I will do the same.

BUT the cold, hard reality is this is going to be the economic equivalent of an extinction event for a lot of mass gathering/participation events and the companies who put them on. Many events steeped in history and with sufficient financial backing and stakeholders will have to be dormant for a while until a vaccine is available. There will be no concerts, no festivals, no Boston Marathons, no Ironman races, no attendance at sporting events until such time. Ironman will bounce back, the Boston Marathon will bounce back, the NFL will bounce back, etc. They can likely weather the storm for the 12-18 months it will take to get through this. But they're not going to look the same coming out of this before it started. There's going to be a cosmic shift in how mass gatherings are going to happen. Jon Bon Jovi was on Howard Stern this morning and was asked how he thought the concert situation was going play out and he basically said it's never going to come back to how it was before, we may never tour again, this could be the end of touring.... how can you pack 50,000 people together ever again? Not that I'm taking medical advice from Jon Bon Jovi but he does have some bona fides when it comes to large crowd situations.

Smaller, indie races, and the like will not survive.

devashish_paul wrote:

I get that its realistic that many events won't happen, but let's give these businesses a chance should the economy open up. Minimally they should happen next year with a deferral. Its pretty redundant for athletes coming on here and just saying "its not gonna happen".

Once again, I'm good with this. I'm not good with your last sentence here because some people really need reality to smack them in the face. It's absolutely absurd to think that some Ironman race is going to occur in August or September.

devashish_paul wrote:

I think we have a world of politicians locking everything down from happening anyway, so as a community why not all of us push for what could be happen (and I get in this climate, people like myself who are a generally a silent group are being shamed from voicing anything about getting back to any semblance of normal life, so most are reluctant to even speak, as if discussing how we get back to normal life, is both a bad thing and precludes any compassion for those of us affected directly from a health angle on Covid19....its not one camp or the other, we can be supporting both)

Dev

Agreed.

devashish_paul wrote:
My main point, is the easy way out is indeed talking about and promoting why something won't happen (I have a startup company, and this is exactly what people tell startups all the time...customers say it won't work, investors don't want to invest, employees only want to join when you are making money). The world is filled with naysayers, but race organizers are a different breed of people. They generally operate in the context of what is possible when most sane people with their intellect and energy will just take a comfortable corporate job. They do something that has no thanks in general, and they operate a very difficult business fraught with many things that can continuously go wrong.

Almost every race organizer I know right now is TRYING. They are not giving up. If we give up on them it just makes their lives harder.

The disconnect here is that your startup isn't going to succeed or fail due to an impossibility from a physical and medical science perspective. Unless your startup is trying to figure out how to land a rocket ship filled with people on the surface of the sun. :-)

I worked for a startup once too. It failed due to economic conditions at the time (the Dot.bomb era of 2000). That's why I'm now a FBI Agent and not Mark Zuckerberg. :-)

Races and events may unfortunately fail during this due to the impossibility of them being allowed to do what they're in business to do. Not due to their lack of trying, intellect, or energy.

It's a shitty situation for everyone. Beyond the obvious health and medical horrors, the economic toll is awful. I feel for anyone that through no fault of their own is getting financially crushed during this. This isn't Utopia though. It's life, it's what happens, and for the next one to two years is going to be a rough go.

I'm just going to keep training and doing my thing with the eventuality that I will race again. It's just not going to be anytime soon.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm all for supporting the race directors and God knows I don't want these races canceled this year I've paid for 3. Two iron Man's and an ultra trail run. I also just don't see the point in living in an alternate reality. It's fine to stay positive but coming on here and acting like kellyanne Conway isn't helping the issue either.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like this answers the question on whether Ironman Santa Rosa will be held on 7/25/2020. Just a matter of time until Ironman makes it official.
https://thehill.com/...s-mass-gatherings-as

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Escape the cape officially postponed to Aug 30. I was expecting this, as race was set for mid June I did not expect it to go on.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MaXi-Race France, a weekend of trail running races that had more than 8K entrants last year, was cancelled for the year yesterday. It was originally scheduled for the last weekend in May then postponed until mid July a couple of weeks ago. Training for next year's race begins today. :)
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 16, 20 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I agree with the lot of you that canceling sporting events through 2021 is the right call, I think many of you are assuming that government leaders and WTC will make the right call... especially in the US. I predict that events in conservative leaning states will go off in July and beyond (and Hawai'i because they need the tourists dollars more than anyone). Certainly not a risk I am willing to take until there is a vaccine or if it turns out I already had it and can test/verify that. But y'all need to remember the US is filled with leaders who care more about votes than lives. And no, that is not paradoxical because those same leaders don't care about the disproportionate effect this is having on minorities.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge Roth for 2021 will be opening up registration on Tuesday

Will this be the first litmus test to see if people are willing to take the risk of registering for races?

How quickly did it sell out this year?
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Escape The Cape Additional information.

Here is the Youtube link with the explanations. There are different options athletes can choose.
https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be
The diferent options are laid out here:
https://mailchi.mp/...2020-covid-19-update

PBT_2009 wrote:
Escape the cape officially postponed to Aug 30. I was expecting this, as race was set for mid June I did not expect it to go on.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

Will this be the first litmus test to see if people are willing to take the risk of registering for races?

Sells out in minutes.
I was entered fro 2020 and I’m in for 2021
If you were entered for 2020 you get a code to enter by Sunday midnight.
After they see who many people enter Sunday the rest of the slots will open up.
They also did a deal if you were entered 2020 for €100 you get access to (2)slots starting 2022 for 10 yrs.
Last edited by: Clutch Cargo: Apr 16, 20 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

Sells out in minutes.
They also did a deal if you were entered 2020 for €100 you get access to (2)slots starting 2022 for 10 yrs.

Ah so if you already paid for 2020 you are automatically in for 2021 for no extra money?

If so I would think it won’t even open up for new entries
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patriot Half in Massachusetts:

"Patriot 2020 Update: Given the ongoing health crisis associated with the coronavirus that we believe will continue to be a health risk for mass participatory events in June, we have decided to cancel the 2020 Patriot Half scheduled for June 20th. However, we aren’t giving up on 2020 yet! All registered athletes will be able to pick 1 of 4 options in response to this cancellation. Those options include: (1) Doing the Patriot Half on the new date of Saturday, 9/5/20; (2) Doing the Pilgrimman Half Triathlon on Saturday, 9/19/20; 3) Doing the VIRTUAL Patriot Half at the end of this June; or (4) Taking an 80% discount on entry to the 2021 or 2022 Patriot Half plus 20% off one of our 2021 Multisport events. Watch this video for more details and be on the lookout for an email on Monday, 4/20, which will include a link to a page where you can choose your preferred option. You have until Friday, 5/8, to decide."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

Sells out in minutes.

Ah so if you already paid for 2020 you are automatically in for 2021 for no extra money?

So they refunded the money minus like 90€ and I got a link to reregister by this Sunday midnight.
Ya there really won’t be many slots at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

Sells out in minutes.

So they refunded the money minus like 90€ and I got a link to reregister by this Sunday midnight.
Ya there really won’t be many slots at all.

I registered for Roth 2021 and the difference between what I paid for 2021 and what I was refunded for 2020 was $311.77CAD (about $220USD). They increased race entry in 2021. Although not ideal, all things considered I'll take it, and looking forward to race Roth 2021.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
City of Calgary has rescinded all permits for events held through the end of August.

Looks like no Calgary 70.3

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All Ironman events form this year.....

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IDK, one of my athletes emailed the CDA 70.3 RD and was like hey when are you sending out options.
The RD emailed back and said the race is a go. We both LOL'd on the RD's naivety.

Granted there are only 60 cases in the county where CDA is. Just seems pretty unimaginable that anything in June with potentially 2,000+ people is going to go off anywhere....in the world.

My guess is WTC is waiting to 3-4 weeks out from events before they officially cancel them.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race isn't in the city proper this year (new venue in Rockyview), but public health orders are provincial. ITU Grand Final in Edmonton is done.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Apr 26, 20 14:49
Quote Reply

Prev Next