Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Terryh wrote:
THIS WHOLE VIRUS THING IS STUPID F$CKING MEDIA OVERHYPE. If they cancel Boston there goes almost ALL triathlons in the next couple months and there goes triathlon and running industry in the toilet. Say goodbye to the running and triathlon industry. Slowtwich will just have a Lavender page, no events to talk about.

No offense but you’re a fucking jackass.

I second that sentiment.
3rd
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The greatest generation is probably horrendously disappointed at what a bunch of wussies this generation is. To destroy the economy and bring life to a halt over what amounts to a bad case of the flu is ridiculous and weak.

My father was a member of that generation, and he heard the same stories from the same person - his mother - as I did, telling us both about the destruction wrought by the Spanish Flu in the midst of The Great War.
He'd *definitely* be horrendously disappointed, but I'm not guessing when I say the subject of that disappointment would be, well... posts like yours.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YMCA short course nationals just cancelled for first time in 47 years, dropping like flies now..

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...w4JuQ5L0iwy3P5J5ogKo

Guess I was lucky to get in a race 11 days ago, that's my season I suppose..
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you honestly think the Chinese — of all countries — would choose to fuck their own economy and literally SHUT THEMSELVES DOWN for months over a bad flu season?

if you really want to focus on helping older generations survive it, you do it by by slowing the spread. If everyone gets sick all at once, the old and infirm will die as care is rationed out of necessity and given to the young and otherwise healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
Bataan Memorial Death March was just cancelled (by the Army). So, that means Oceanside...

The Facebook page for Oceanside is showing no signs of the race being cancelled.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Triathlete Magazine: In a filing with the SEC Wanda Sports Group reports that Coronavirus could have an "adverse impact" on business.

Sounds like they are concerned about cancellations.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelgirl wrote:
Travel from Europe suspended for 30 days starting Frida at midnight. Might make it difficult if someone has a race lined up in the next 30 days in the US.

Not quite.

Travel from Schengen Area countries is suspended, so UK & Ireland unaffected unless you’ve been to a Schengen Area country in the past 14 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let’s see what happens with the 5150 Coronado this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hamburg Marathon was just canceled/looking for delay options.
Last edited by: Leanmeanmachine: Mar 12, 20 2:00
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Leanmeanmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had an email- Ironman 70.3 Greece just cancelled.

Same weekend as Oceanside.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [shammad10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vienna City Marathon and all associated events over 18/19th April have been cancelled, returning in 2020.

EcoTrail Paris scheduled for 14/15th March has been cancelled.
Last edited by: hiscotsg: Mar 12, 20 2:14
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [shammad10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like they've already got a new date 25th October.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman are refusing refunds for those unable to do the new date in greece:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Hello Salim,

Thank you for your reply. Please note that the refund policy does not apply in your case. You do have the option to defer your registration to the IRONMAN 70.3 Greece in 2021 instead. We kindly ask you to contact greece70.3@ironman.com for further information or check on the website.

Thanks and all the best for you!

Mit freundlichen GrĂĽĂźen / Kind regards,

Ina Lammers

Coordinator Athlete Service Europe

-----------------------------

IRONMAN®

IRONMAN Germany GmbH

European EMEA Headquarters

Höchster Straße 90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize that now, after DHS clarified what Trump said in his speech. ( and corrected what he said about no cargo) It will still be difficult for some people to get to the US for the next 30 days though.

quote Pathfinder]
travelgirl wrote:
Travel from Europe suspended for 30 days starting Frida at midnight. Might make it difficult if someone has a race lined up in the next 30 days in the US.

Not quite.

Travel from Schengen Area countries is suspended, so UK & Ireland unaffected unless you’ve been to a Schengen Area country in the past 14 days.[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gina Thomas the O'Side RD doing a great job on their Facebook pages, as of close of play yesterday 11 March race is on, but daily meetings with authorities so could change any day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Tri3 wrote:
COVID-19 is far more than "a bad case of the flu." And the impact it will have on those needing care from the healthcare system if there is a peak surge demand on hospitals will be devastating.

Estimate presented to the American Hospital Association of the COVID-19 potential:
-96 million cases overall in the US.
-4.8 million hospitalizations associated with the novel coronavirus
-1.9 million ICU admissions
-480,000 deaths.
-hospitals should prepare for an impact to the system that's 10 times greater than a severe flu season
https://www.businessinsider.com/...pitalizations-2020-3

Compared to 2019 flu season in the US
-35.5 infections
-490,600 hospitalizations
-49,000 ICU admissions
-34,200 deaths

This is why it is so important that we all do our part to protect the most vulnerable by staying home. It's not about us. It's about who and how many we may infect.

This is a case of worst case scenario building on itself. The more we look at it the worse it gets. It's an issue with this generation and our obsession with social media and the 24 hour new cycle. SARS, Swine Flu, and all other of these viruses would have been declared pandemics also if they had broken out today. So, no, I don't believe any of these numbers as they are probably a compounding of CYA on CYA because that is what our society is now. A few months from now we will be talking about COVID-19 the way we talk about the Y2K idiocy. Freak out if you want to but that attitude is the real problem...

No, this is nowhere near a worst case scenario.
This estimate appears to be using figures of 29.4% infection and 0.5% mortality.
Even without any virus mutations or unforeseeable issues, we could easily see figures more like 50% infection and 1.5% mortality.
That would be:
164 million infected
16.4 million needing hospitalisation
2.45 million deaths

And even that MAY not be worst case.
I haven't seen anything solid in terms of a real mortality rate. Hopefully it's well under 1%, but that would require that we're currently massively undercounting the total infected number. It could be over 2%, especially if health services become completely ineffective and everyone in need of ICU treatment becomes a likely death. The exact figures are not fully clear yet, but the fact that it's potentially catastrophic IS clear. Anyone like yourself pretending otherwise is a dangerous fool.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Mar 12, 20 3:50
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The DC Mayor declared a state of emergency yesterday and stated that the permit for the Rock 'n Roll marathon, scheduled for 28 March, had been pulled. No info from RnR yet and nothing related to coronavirus is listed on their website, in fact, registration for the race is still open!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathfinder wrote:
Gina Thomas the O'Side RD doing a great job on their Facebook pages, as of close of play yesterday 11 March race is on, but daily meetings with authorities so could change any day.

Cut the shit and just cancel the fucking races already. There's zero chance they're going to be allowed to go as planned anyway so the sooner the better so people can change travel plans and stop worrying about it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 12, 20 4:17
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Pathfinder wrote:

Cut the shit and just cancel the fucking races already. There's zero chance they're going to be allowed to go as planned anyway so the sooner the better so people can change travel plans and stop worrying about it.

I was being slightly tongue in cheek with that, I'll lick a restroom door handle if it does go ahead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got your sarcasm.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Pathfinder wrote:

Yeah, It's going to be a stress for the next 4 weeks refreshing IMFL 70.3's pages waiting for a cancellation. My training is fucked so even if they held the race I'm probably going to be in some weird limbo of training for the race but not wanting to bother tapering for something that isn't going to happen. I have a smaller local race 3 weeks later I can shift my focus to (if that even happens...).
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen this possibility out there yet, but I wonder if there is any chance that the Olympics get delayed a year. I think this could be a real scenario, especially if things only continue to get worse over the next few months.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Agree, but would be nice to know if I could put the TT bike back on the shelf and also go back to only swimming once a week!

Bro, let’s be real. The race is going to be canceled.

You're right. I made the call to stop going to lifetime to swim this morning. I'll do stretch cordz everyday and hopefully open water swim 1x per week, but I figure not going to the gym is doing my part to slow the spread of the virus.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I haven't seen this possibility out there yet, but I wonder if there is any chance that the Olympics get delayed a year. I think this could be a real scenario, especially if things only continue to get worse over the next few months.

I bet IOC waits till at least late June to make any decisions like that. Same thing with Euro, Tour De France etc. Giro is on deck in May. Hope it goes off, but looking kind of slim. NBA suspending season is just going to snowball the psychology of event organizers (keep in mind Messick used to work for David Stern). This is mainly going to hurt the smaller local event organizers. They can't ride out a season with zero revenue. I had signed up for 4 local Olympic tris and glad to give my money to the organizer whether she can put on her races or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz has the virus which prompted the decision. Interestingly he mocked the virus in a press conference after his game against Toronto the other day by touching the desk and all the microphones.

https://www.12up.com/...s-panic-01e35advkjxr

He was recruited more for his muscle than his brain apparently,

Happily, on the other hand, Trump was elected more for his.... sorry, forget it
Quote Reply

Prev Next