Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
natethomas wrote:
I haven't seen this possibility out there yet, but I wonder if there is any chance that the Olympics get delayed a year. I think this could be a real scenario, especially if things only continue to get worse over the next few months.

I bet IOC waits till at least late June to make any decisions like that. Same thing with Euro, Tour De France etc. Giro is on deck in May. Hope it goes off, but looking kind of slim. NBA suspending season is just going to snowball the psychology of event organizers (keep in mind Messick used to work for David Stern). This is mainly going to hurt the smaller local event organizers. They can't ride out a season with zero revenue. I had signed up for 4 local Olympic tris and glad to give my money to the organizer whether she can put on her races or not.

I'd agree they don't need to decide anything yet. Things will look very different in a few months. Not necessarily predicting anything but July/August is a long way off in the time scale of this sort of thing.

If things aren't improved significantly by then I've read different things. One was that a delay to later in 2020 was more practical because something about the Olympics is agreed for a calendar year. The other was that a two year delay was more likely because you need to arrange TV schedules and next years TV sporting schedule would already be put in place.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cancelled: Rotterdam marathon, 5th of april. Unsurprising though they claimed the opposite just this morning on their site.

Disappointing though, would’ve been my first. And several Dutch athletes wanted to qualify for Olympic games.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of yesterday on the Ironman Texas Facebook page Ironman was advertising the remaining 10 unsold spots. It would be rather disingenuous for them to be selling the spots if they knew they were definitively going to be cancelling the event. In addition, I saw the following communication someone posted:

Hi,
Thank you for reaching out, we understand and appreciate your concerns regarding COVID-19
The World Health Organization (WHO) declared a public health emergency of international concern as it relates to the coronavirus outbreak. In response, and to prevent the virus from spreading further, governments are taking a wide set of measures including limitations on gatherings, events, and school activities, as well as travel and entry restrictions.
We are monitoring the situation with public health officials and authorities, including
the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), to follow and implement guidelines dictated by health agencies and governments.
At this stage, the Texas Department of Health does not propose altering arrangements for public events, and therefore we will be proceeding with the IRONMAN Texas event as planned. We want to remind you that all transfer, deferral and refund policies remain in effect and can be found here - https://www.ironman.com/im-texas-register
Should you wish you cancel your entry, we kindly ask you to contact your travel insurance provider to discuss your options.
Kind Regards,
The IRONMAN Texas Team
Mara
Athlete Services Coordinator

Granted ultimately it may not be Ironman's decision to make whether to allow the event or not but as of right now it appears they are still planning on holding the event. A decision to cancel does not need to be made for at least another 4-5 weeks by which time we will know a lot more.

Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which lifetime? I am at citicentre.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:
THIS WHOLE VIRUS THING IS STUPID F$CKING MEDIA OVERHYPE.

Re-read your post in, say, 30 days. I hope you are right. I think you will be very wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cinco
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to the thread, not an individual post:

It looks like CA Gov. Gavin Newsom will call for a moratorium of any public event drawing more than 250 people in one place.

More here.

So, that would appear to put the kibosh on Oceanside (and sure, we’ll wait for an official stataement), and any number of events until the virus is deemed contained. On my own race schedule that would include Mountains2Beach Marathon, IM Santa Rosa 70.3 and the full, assuming the bar on events extends well into the summer.

Beyond endurance sports, if this happens, we’re talking Dodgers and Angels baseball, conventions and conferences, parades, and the list goes on and on. Yesterday was the first day my employer, a large public media company, sent everybody home to work remotely for the duration to keep us and our visitors from infecting each other.

I can’t think of a public health crisis this significant since the spread of HIV and AIDS. I hope people will take seriously the potential for this illness to harm them and their relatives, and take sincere measures to reduce the early spread while treatment and prevention options are still being developed.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Last edited by: SharonMcN: Mar 12, 20 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathfinder wrote:
Gina Thomas the O'Side RD doing a great job on their Facebook pages, as of close of play yesterday 11 March race is on, but daily meetings with authorities so could change any day.

Out of curiosity, where do you see updates from her? On which pages?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
...Giro is on deck in May. Hope it goes off, but looking kind of slim....
There is not even the slightest chance of the Giro going ahead, unless as a national moral building exercise..... but that's not going to work with no spectators on the streets to cheer it on.
Even if Italy somehow had everything under control in 8 weeks time, the logistics would likely be a mess, and the appetite for the big crowds on the street would be zero. I think Italy will be a while recovering from this psychologically as well as economically. They are watching countries like the UK, allowing football matches and multi-day horse racing festivals with huge crowds, and can't believe they're squandering the lessons that could be learned from Italy.
Their neighbors, Slovenia, and possibly others, are building walls on the borders. There's a lot of fear, and disbelief.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Pathfinder wrote:
Gina Thomas the O'Side RD doing a great job on their Facebook pages, as of close of play yesterday 11 March race is on, but daily meetings with authorities so could change any day.

On the Oceanside 70.3 Facebook page, there's a post from 2 March entitled Yo'll have plenty of spectators to cheer you on at the Pier!

In the 45+ comments there's one that say's How likely is this to be cancelled? In the responses you'll see a few from Gina.

21 minutes ago updated by Gina to say still nothing different their end, talks ongoing with multiple agencies.
Last edited by: Pathfinder: Mar 12, 20 7:17
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it.

I think that after the last night's speech from Gavin Newsom, the likelihood of the event happening is now very low. Just my hunch.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Got it.

I think that after the last night's speech from Gavin Newsom, the likelihood of the event happening is now very low. Just my hunch.

So not fully understanding what powers the Governor of California has, Newsom seems to be calling for a restriction not actually implementing one?

Does he have to go to The Assembly to seek this as a state law or does it need to go to The Senate?

I'm guessing this can be proposed and voted on pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [shammad10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we also try to keep track on here which races that are canceled and if/how they are issuing refunds?

NYC half marathon was canceled and race organizers will offer either an entry fee refund or a guaranteed non-complimentary entry into next year’s race

I understand a small event not issuing refunds but for corporations as big as Ironman I can not imagine them justifying keeping the crazy high fees they are charging without even holding an event. This will become particularly relevant if/when this expands in to the summer. I´m sure Ironman has an insane amount of deffered revenue on the books but to maintain the integrity of the brand they should at least have to refund athletes for events that do not occur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On top of the California announcement, the military is going to have zero reason to want a bunch of civilians from everywhere on base at this time. I will keep training but have zero expectation of doing Oceanside. For a while it looks like my 2020 race season will be a little 5K I did with a free entry from my employer.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ride Flanders the pre Tour of Flanders race sportive postponed.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if anyone posted this so far, from Ironman.com/updates

Quote:
This page will keep you, our valued athletes and partners, informed about the latest developments concerning COVID - 19.

The World Health Organization (WHO) declared a public health emergency of international concern as it relates to the COVID-19. In response, and to prevent the virus from spreading further, governments around the world are taking a wide set of measures, including limitations on gatherings, events, and school activities, as well as travel and entry restrictions.

We are monitoring the situation with public health officials to follow and implement measures dictated by health agencies and governments. We will continue to take appropriate actions on an event-by-event basis, following the decisions made by these respective authorities and agencies.

Additional information will be shared with athletes and our partners as appropriate and will be made available on event pages and social media accounts. We ask you to stay updated with respect to the impact of the outbreak in your location, follow governmental and agency recommendations to minimize risk, and follow any potential restrictions put in place. Anyone traveling for competition purposes should make themselves familiar with respective national and world health organization updates in those locations as well as travel policies from airlines and hotels. As always, athletes should monitor their personal health appropriately and not race or travel to any event if they are unwell.

Athletes are also reminded to practice hygiene protection measures recommended by the WHO.
For up-to-date information on COVID-19 refer to www.who.int.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathfinder wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
Pathfinder wrote:

On the Oceanside 70.3 Facebook page, there's a post from 2 March entitled Yo'll have plenty of spectators to cheer you on at the Pier!

In the 45+ comments there's one that say's How likely is this to be cancelled? In the responses you'll see a few from Gina.

21 minutes ago updated by Gina to say still nothing different their end, talks ongoing with multiple agencies.

She should just fucking cancel already. What about all the people being left out due to the travel ban? What about all of those people feeling at risk with having to travel from out of state? They should give everyone a chance to cancel their AirBnBs, plane tickets, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing all of these events have some sort of insurance that will help them if there's a legit reason why they can't hold the race. I'm sure the paperwork is a lot easier if the State of California says they can't have the race than if IM or Oceanside decides to cancel on their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.endurancesportswire.com/...-due-to-coronavirus/

This is a list of events that have cx'd.

Supposed to be updated daily. IDK if that will happen or not though

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Mar 12, 20 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oceanside - I'm guessing they are working on a later date to try and save the race this year, just like Greece 70.3. I'm sure they know at this point that the race will be canceled, but I don't think they will announce it until they get a later date pinned down. Man, what a big let down, was just starting to get in shape for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As of now, USAT is keeping collegiate club nationals. That is definitely going to change, as a majority of colleges have already shut down club sports for the rest of the semester- barring students from practicing or traveling to races. So Collegiate nationals will likely be canceled in the next few days
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In fairness, Houston Rodeo does have the RodeoRun about 4,000 people run it. It went off as scheduled on Feb 29th.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, I agree. Race is three weeks away now, nothing is going to improve dramatically in that time period.

And i agree with those that believe it’s our responsibility to limit participation in mass events in order to slow the inevitable spread to allow our medical system some breathing room. I may just self cancel and be done with it
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Sadly, I agree. Race is three weeks away now, nothing is going to improve dramatically in that time period.

And i agree with those that believe it’s our responsibility to limit participation in mass events in order to slow the inevitable spread to allow our medical system some breathing room. I may just self cancel and be done with it

I think that if Europe is an indicator, over the next three weeks things will get worse, especially if they decide to keep pushing forward and having these events. I hope Gina comes out soon and announces that the event has been post-poned to protect the local community.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Terryh wrote:
THIS WHOLE VIRUS THING IS STUPID F$CKING MEDIA OVERHYPE.

Re-read your post in, say, 30 days. I hope you are right. I think you will be very wrong.

The irony with that is the better these containment efforts work, the more likely he is to say, "See,it was nothing".
Quote Reply

Prev Next