Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was planning to go to Belgium to watch and take place in the Tour of Flanders sportive. Not heard anything on this yet. Anyone heard anything on this ?
I can see most large events being cancelled/postponed
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Absa Cape Epic goes ahead in South Africa with additional public health measures, or common sense as most people call it.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
hubcaps wrote:
Rep Steve lynch made it sound like Boston is likely to be cancelled

https://www.boston25news.com/video/?id=4855270

Boston has to be canceled. It's the worst possible event . . . international, expo, buses, crowded corrals, racers who will participate sick because 'it's boston!'. Relatedly, New Bedford half marathon in Mass was canceled for this wknd. I'm signed up for Oceanside and Haines City 70.3s, expecting to go 3 for 3 on cancelations for Spring events at this point.

I've done New Bedford several times - were you going to run, Eric?

I haven't yet signed up, but was going to do the Eastern States Half Marathon, which is on March 29th. Most folks that do this race do the 20 mile option, but I think there is day of race signup - I may go that route rather than signing up only to have it cancelled.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not Boston related but....

The Norwegian Nordic Ski Team won't be attending the series of North American World Cup races that start this Saturday in Quebec City. I'm super bummed as I'm heading there with my son for the 3rd year running, and was hoping to see Klaebo do his thing again.

I'm still going through, as long as they don't nerf the whole thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
"I think something worth noting here is that it is not necessarily the risk to you or I, it is the risk to people who we would transmit to"

This! We've heard and read about how the "greatest" generation came together to defeat a world threat in the '40s. They are the ones most threatened by this disease. Are we going to help save them from a horrible death by sacrificing some of our freedoms/activities? I think we owe it to them and others to be part of the solution! History will judge us!

The greatest generation is probably horrendously disappointed at what a bunch of wussies this generation is. To destroy the economy and bring life to a halt over what amounts to a bad case of the flu is ridiculous and weak. We have become a generation of cowardly chickens. This disease will be gone by summer and instead of focusing on helping older generations survive it (by treating the symptoms) we are making futile "preventative" efforts and creating hype that is destroying older people's retirement and livelihood! Our ancestors who lived through real hardships like the depression and World War II have to be rolling in their graves as to how weak and gutless we have become. That's the real tragedy.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Cactus Cup mountain bike races will go on as scheduled this weekend in Phoenix. Should be a few thousand people with racers and expo people.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm registered for the Puerto Rico 70.3 scheduled for March 15, and so far it looks like that is going forward as planned.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s not flu. It’s essentially viral pneumonia. Go and read the stuff from Italy. Entire wards of people who have contracted Coronavirus and then develop interstitial bilateral pneumonia.

Do you not think they’re trying to help the elderly in Italy? And that’s clearly going really well so far with the deaths jumping from 97 to 464 within 24 hours and 9,172 cases.

‘Gone by summer’ - I don’t think this statement will age well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ignorance truly is bliss.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, some remarkable statements from the previous poster.

This is a valuable watch for people that gives a well-rounded view: https://www.youtube.com/...JDpV-igjs&t=342s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COVID-19 is far more than "a bad case of the flu." And the impact it will have on those needing care from the healthcare system if there is a peak surge demand on hospitals will be devastating.

Estimate presented to the American Hospital Association of the COVID-19 potential:
-96 million cases overall in the US.
-4.8 million hospitalizations associated with the novel coronavirus
-1.9 million ICU admissions
-480,000 deaths.
-hospitals should prepare for an impact to the system that's 10 times greater than a severe flu season
https://www.businessinsider.com/...pitalizations-2020-3

Compared to 2019 flu season in the US
-35.5 infections
-490,600 hospitalizations
-49,000 ICU admissions
-34,200 deaths

This is why it is so important that we all do our part to protect the most vulnerable by staying home. It's not about us. It's about who and how many we may infect.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THIS WHOLE VIRUS THING IS STUPID F$CKING MEDIA OVERHYPE. If they cancel Boston there goes almost ALL triathlons in the next couple months and there goes triathlon and running industry in the toilet. Say goodbye to the running and triathlon industry. Slowtwich will just have a Lavender page, no events to talk about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of the Tour de Cure events have effectively been changed to virtual events instead of being cancelled. They haven't actually announced this publicly and there's zero information on their sites about it (you can still sign up for the ones this weekend and the guides are still up). I found out because they did email the team captains to let them know. I find this to be an incredibly cynical and dishonest attempt to get out of refunding entry fees for those that have zero interest in virtual events (they didn't even offer to move reg to next year).
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [hiscotsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may need to register to view this article.
It should be noted it's written by a professional storyteller NOT a scientist, but still, it's pretty grim reading especially the 'growth curves' Just you wait America, it's coming for you any day now.

https://medium.com/...ill-die-f4d3d9cd99ca
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aside from the discussion on whether people travelling from far afield to meet is reckless in that it risks spreading the virus, consider the following :

IM Nice was shortened in the heatwave not because it was unsafe for the athletes, but because the emergency services were not coping and didn't want any further burden.

The reports from Italy make it clear that this thing will stress the healthcare system to the point of failure if it gets hold. There won't be spare staff to attend unnecessary mass participation sporting events and nobody in the modern litigious world will put an event on without medical support on standby.

I'm not optimistic for many events happening in 2020.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
COVID-19 is far more than "a bad case of the flu." And the impact it will have on those needing care from the healthcare system if there is a peak surge demand on hospitals will be devastating.

Estimate presented to the American Hospital Association of the COVID-19 potential:
-96 million cases overall in the US.
-4.8 million hospitalizations associated with the novel coronavirus
-1.9 million ICU admissions
-480,000 deaths.
-hospitals should prepare for an impact to the system that's 10 times greater than a severe flu season
https://www.businessinsider.com/...pitalizations-2020-3

Compared to 2019 flu season in the US
-35.5 infections
-490,600 hospitalizations
-49,000 ICU admissions
-34,200 deaths

This is why it is so important that we all do our part to protect the most vulnerable by staying home. It's not about us. It's about who and how many we may infect.

This is a case of worst case scenario building on itself. The more we look at it the worse it gets. It's an issue with this generation and our obsession with social media and the 24 hour new cycle. SARS, Swine Flu, and all other of these viruses would have been declared pandemics also if they had broken out today. So, no, I don't believe any of these numbers as they are probably a compounding of CYA on CYA because that is what our society is now. A few months from now we will be talking about COVID-19 the way we talk about the Y2K idiocy. Freak out if you want to but that attitude is the real problem...

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Houston just canceled the rest of the Rodeo with 11 days to go. For those that don’t know it’s a nearly three week long festival that attracted 2.5 million people last year. Yes... I said 2.5 million.

Pretty sure Texas 70.3 and Ironman Texas are pretty much goners now.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coachella, Houston Rodeo.....did these events have an endurance race that I was not aware of or did you just unilaterally decide to turn OP's thread into one dedicated to reporting on any and all cancelled events??? If the latter, can you start another thread or go to the lavender room.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Mar 11, 20 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:
THIS WHOLE VIRUS THING IS STUPID F$CKING MEDIA OVERHYPE. If they cancel Boston there goes almost ALL triathlons in the next couple months and there goes triathlon and running industry in the toilet. Say goodbye to the running and triathlon industry. Slowtwich will just have a Lavender page, no events to talk about.

No offense but you’re a fucking jackass.

Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Coachella, Houston Rodeo.....did these events have an endurance race that I was not aware of or did you just unilaterally decide to turn OP's thread into one dedicated to reporting on any and all cancelled events??? If the latter, can you start another thread or go to the lavender room.

When the government and health officials in the Houston area decide to cancel a mass gathering event it’s not a huge leap of faith to think the two big triathlons in the Houston area aren’t going to see the same fate.

Surely I didn’t need to point that out, right?

Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but 2.5million and 3000+families is a pretty significant difference. Agree though that I'm not hopeful...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously the numbers are very different but that’s not the point. The writing is clearly on the walls that any mass gatherings are going to be canceled by Fed, state, and local governments.

Anyone not seeing that is delusional.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad, so you were merely referring to non-endurance events so you could unilaterally turn this into a thread where we predict which endurance events will be cancelled. Got it.

Can we just keep this thread on track with OP’s questions and direct general Coronavirus-related topics to their threads? There are a million angles in this story we can discuss. Start a thread and pick you angle but don’t derail OP’s topic here.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Mar 11, 20 10:11
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay , I won’t post again about the races until they’re canceled.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next