Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
Victoria 70.3 postponed to August 9. Do these August postponements have any shot at happening?

I seriously doubt it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, just got the email. I'd been expecting it, but I guess I had been hoping that maybe the island would have the virus under control by May and screen everyone coming in. Oh well. Not sure what to do now, as I don't think I'll have an opportunity to make the trip next year.

Mallorca 70.3 is also postponed to October.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [janski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cleveland Marathon canceled (well, they are offering a virtual option). Going to defer to 2021 and just keep my long distance training going.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Florida 70.3 moved from April 19 to December 13.

That’s bad news for HITS Sarasota in early January. Probably not great for MiamiMan in early November either.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:

That’s bad news for HITS Sarasota in early January. Probably not great for MiamiMan in early November either.

We registered for Florida 70.3 2020. We received the e-mail today and our options are to transfer into these 70.3's for 2020 - Atlantic City, North Carolina, Waco, Augusta, or Florida 70.3 for 2021.

We did NOT get the option to do the December race. If we want to do that one, then we have to register for it again?

Wow. $
Last edited by: Upstaterun: Mar 25, 20 17:01
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GC 70.3 rumored to be re-scheduled to the same weekend as IMFL, according to the FB groups

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

We registered for Florida 70.3 2020. We received the e-mail today and our options are to transfer into these 70.3's for 2020 - Atlantic City, North Carolina, Waco, Augusta, or Florida 70.3 for 2021.

We did NOT get the option to do the December race. If we want to do that one, then we have to register for it again?

Wow. $

I don't think you read the email properly. You do nothing and you remain registered for the event that has been postponed. While I didn't get your florida email, all the emails are the same and that's what I have for my 70.3

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Upstaterun wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

Wow. $

I don't think you read the email properly. You do nothing and you remain registered for the event that has been postponed. While I didn't get your florida email, all the emails are the same and that's what I have for my 70.3

Thank you! You are correct! I sent Ironman the question and they clarified as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Tulsa, postponed.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
Victoria 70.3 postponed to August 9. Do these August postponements have any shot at happening?

I talked to them. If you are signed up for this year, to race in August simply do nothing. To defer to next year or transfer to another race reply to the email they sent out. I asked but what if we want to race in August, do not take the deferral or transfer now, and August race date doesn't happen either. They would not give a good answer to that question.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Mar 28, 20 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did anyone mention Challenge Roth cancelled?
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ChDoyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian Olympic tri/ITU WCS Montreal postponed. Official reason is foreigners cannot travel to Canada until after June 30th. Event weekend is 25-28 June. This was a qualifier for ITU World's 2021 in Bermuda.

Pretty sure nothing will happen and it will just be cancelled eventually.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ChDoyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChDoyle wrote:
Did anyone mention Challenge Roth cancelled?

Two threads about it.

Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
Ironman Australia ......postponed
Ultraman Australia'.... postponed
Ironman Cairns...…... postponed

I see ITU Leeds is cancelled in early June and ITU Montreal at which the age group race is our nationals (and was my target A event is technically still on during last weekend of June. a month earlier swimming master's nationals at the end of May also an A race...not cancelled yet.

Is suspected both will go down shortly.

The Indian Pacific Wheel Ride (Australia's premier Bikepacking event) has been thrown into chaos now that all our states look like they are closing their borders.They were two days into their trans continental ride and now a whole bunch of Perth locals are driving 200-300 miles to pick up all the riders so they can fly home before they have to be quarantined.

My swim challenge is still all go for April as my local pool remains open.I have decided to do a non-stop Ultraman on the cancelled Ultraman Oz course on their race date of May 9th.. Have to swim/bike/run totally unassisted for 515k in 36hrs. Shit you do when you have nothing else to do. :-)

Keep us posted on your self supported Ultraman. Hopefully slowman can feature that in an article. My next swim is likely in June when the rivers and lakes here are warm enough. Fortunately, I am able to run again (albeit slow). Any events I do this summer are likely to be solo self generate. I'll likely do the individual legs of sprint, olympic, half IM as solo TT's at least once per month all summer (no transitions). that gives me 9 TT's per month. Plenty to "shoot for". I may see if some buddies want to join in doing them in ITT mode (haha no drafting and no Jimmy Riccitello needed as we will be social distancing)....

...new marketing...join my draft free social distanced events...anything is possible (Patrick Lange will likely not join but Frodo will approve LOL)

Dev

The Trans America Triathlon scheduled for May was just cancelled...

Ultra520K Canada ..Cancelled

I reckon it is only a matter of time before Ultraman Canada and Ironman Canada are pulled as well..

Another Penticton event cancelled: Prospera Granfondo Axel Merckx, scheduled for July 12th..
https://www.castanet.net/..._iuMAoZuaWWdE#295435

Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey so the Tour De France (and French Public Health Officials) are looking into a Tour de France without road side fans. Oh man, I would be so happy if they can pull that off. Humanity needs some hope and something to look forward to. Over in India, the IPL Cricket League probably the highest value pro league outside the US big 4 and the big 4 Euro Football/Soccer leagues is still talking about cramming in a shortened season in the back part of April and May before the Monsoon kicks in. They have a really low number of deaths there and the Prime Minister will have pressure to roll the dice and let it happen without fans. (https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...4604223.cms?from=mdr). If anything it may be good to have some of these pro leagues go off in this isolated manner to keep citizens entertained while not spreading this thing. Its a different type of endurance sport (not in the way we think about it).
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure The Tour de France will not happen for several reasons. Primarily because of healthcare worker shortages. This is the same for triathlon and other sporting events. As we all know, you need healthcare workers, police, and local resources of certain essential people to safely host an athletic event. Unfortunately with the pandemic, these workers are in short short supply and will not and should not be pulled away from saving lives and maintaining public safety for a sporting event.

Additionally for Le Tour, all the riders, media and support staff would have to be tested before racing. Logistically there are too many challenges to safely pull off a rider-only Tour, IMO. Like the Olympics, it's best to just postpone it now and all the resources that would be used for the race should be focused on fighting the Pandemic and saving lives.

My solution: I think they should hold the Virtual Tour on Zwift! Seriously. Have the likeness of all the riders transfered identically. All riders weigh in every morning. And all riders are given the same exact make/model trainers calibrated each morning. Televise it. Of course this won't compare to the real thing; but it's something.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, something I thought of which doesn't bode for those of us who plan on racing a true S/B/R anytime soon ... if the race postponements go into late summer, and most areas remain on lockdown with pools closed, we may see Bike/Run only events as Race Directors will be rightly concerned that most of the field will not have swim trained for up to 4 months. Of course some swimmers (like myself) may open water swim; however, the vast majority of AG'ers will probably have not swam at all. Which is a huge safety issue.

I don't want this to be the case! But I think it's a probable scenario if everything keeps trending in the current direction. We may not see a true long course "S"/B/R race for a very long time unfortunately. And of course, given the pandemic, if this is our biggest problem we should consider ourselves very lucky!
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the default it the tour will not happen, but ASO and most important French public health officials are trying to make a way to pull it off. The involvement of the government side to make it happen makes is very different from anything else and there is no qualification that needs to be done like the Olympics and there are no stadium tiecket revenues that the TdF gives up, which is unlike the Olympics or Wimbledon.

So if there is an event that can economically be pulled off, its actually a pro bike race and its not just any pro bike race, its the centerpiece national event for France every year. If any nation has the will to make it happen safely it will be France. Its like India still trying to figure out how to pull off the IPL which is way more $$$$ than the TdF, way more eyeballs, and even greater national impact.

So let's see. I'll be bummed if/when Federer can't play on the grass courts at Wimbledon. Last year's marathon loss to Djoko at age 38 was an awesome match to watch and at 39 this year, his time is almost done. Same with Serena trying to chase the record for Grand Slam wins. For both the grass courts at the All England Club offer a big advantage for their big serves.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the rate we're going we'll be lucky if there are any events before fall of 2021.. and I can see scenarios where that's a stretch.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
At the rate we're going we'll be lucky if there are any events before fall of 2021.. and I can see scenarios where that's a stretch.

Put your doom and gloom hat away. Humanity will prevail. Sure, treat any events we do this year as up side, however, the more negative talk there is, the more people lose interest, stop buying gear, stop entering events, which of course creates a negative death spiral which ensures events are cancelled. People talking about triathlons getting cancelled because triathletes cannot have enough swim training are OUT OF THEIR MINDS...why? Because triathletes enter races with insufficient to zero training ALL THE TIME.....that's business as usual for most triathletes.

But if we brainwash everyone that there are not events this is the most certain way to get no events.

We all need the hope of events (whether it is Federer playing at the delayed French Open in Sept, or the scheduled US Open in Flushing meadows, or a riders only Tour de France with no fans, or you and I doing our local tri).

We need some hope for everyone to push towards. This is how humans have made progress from the beginning of time and gotten through wars and plagues. We have our 2020 plague, but its not a reason to give up hope that life will return to a new normal as early as possible.

On a macros scale the entire existence of the stock market and world economies is based on hope (projected growth rates of economies, of stocks, or whatever). This is what drives human civilizations. Let's support anyone who has the courage to bring events together responsibly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not trying to be doom and gloom. And I understand what you are saying but the math doesn't lie. This yr is toast! To tell yourself otherwise is self deception. I want people to stay healthy and keep training. BUT tell me how we do anything till there is vacs or we reach 70% infection and start to hopefully see herd immunity. And that math gets beyond scary.. . I'll want to race as much as you but safety first. It's all for nothing if we aren't healthy ( including the economy)
Last edited by: Fishbum: Mar 29, 20 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, news reporting that Wimbledon will be canceled by Wednesday.

Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Not trying to be doom and gloom. And I understand what you are saying but the math doesn't lie. This yr is toast! To tell yourself otherwise is self deception. I want people to stay healthy and keep training. BUT tell me how we do anything till there is vacs or we reach 70% infection and start to hopefully see herd immunity. And that math gets beyond scary.. . I'll want to race as much as you but safety first. It's all for nothing if we aren't healthy ( including the economy)

this.

im really bummed about losing the season, but I can't see any way that large events can be safely held until a vaccine is developed, tested and deployed. There is more hope for small informal events once the virus has been contained, but the fact is that it's out there and likely isn't going to just "disappear"

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey so the Tour De France (and French Public Health Officials) are looking into a Tour de France without road side fans. Oh man, I would be so happy if they can pull that off.

I really don't see how they are able to pull that off. They tried to do that the with last half of Paris-Nice and there were still lots of people on the roadsides once they left the couple hundred meters around the start and finish areas. And that was with a "low interest" weekday race. La Grande Boucle is whole other level. Even if they are able to control fans, there's still 1000+ people directly involved with the tour between the riders, team staff, race officials, and media. Each one of those groups is easily 200 people potentially spreading the virus all over France. Seems like a great way to start the "2nd wave".
Quote Reply

Prev Next