Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [samills610] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman copenhagen seems to be out of the window. The government just banned large assembly of people until, and including August.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [samills610] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you still withdraw for a $75 refund?
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [exerciseaddict] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No refunds offered, email details below:

We appreciate your continued patience and understanding while we have been developing options for you during this dynamic time. After assessing all event scenarios, the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Connecticut, originally scheduled for May 31 has been cancelled.

All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Connecticut triathlon will have 10 options to transfer to a new event which are listed below.

1. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Maine: Aug. 30, 2020
2. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Lake Placid: Sept. 13, 2020
3. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City: Sept. 13, 2020
4. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Augusta: Sept. 27, 2020
5. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina: Oct. 17, 2020
6. Free transfer to 2020 Bicycle World Texas IRONMAN 70.3 Waco: Oct. 18, 2020
7. Free transfer to 2020 Memorial Hermann IRONMAN 70.3 Texas: Nov. 22, 2020
8. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Florida: Dec. 13, 2020
9. Free deferral to 2021 Carilion Clinic IRONMAN 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge: June 6, 2021
10. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Eagleman: June 14, 2021
Last edited by: samills610: Apr 6, 20 13:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for letting me know! I'm registered for Musselman on July 19th, and thinking about withdrawing for a partial refund of $75 instead of transferring. Especially since I'm already registered for Maine.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [exerciseaddict] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TBH I wish I had cancelled for the small discount, as don't think I will want to do any of the other races (and can't imagine any of this year's races may go ahead)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow that’s sort of like ordering a pair of size 11.5 shoes and told they are out of stock but your only options are a pair of 11, 10.5, 12, or 12.5. They are the same model but the fit may not work for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
I agree that a race anytime soon is ill advised. If the race should be cancelled, IM should call it and let everyone move on from the slight potential of a race going forward.

IMO - the lack of any plan going forward at this stage is frustrating for their consumers. I don’t expect them to have something set up the first week it’s possible (maybe next July - who knows). But I would like it if they had a coherent plan. The way they are proceeding is going to catch up with them in that they are not going to be able to hold entry fees for dead races forever. They will very soon run out of dead races with entrants.

Sorry for the rant.

Agreed!
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirty Kanza postponed until September 9-10.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And they still are mum about the options for the "postponed" Santa Rosa 70.3.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s also talk of “new normal” whenever we’re on the back side of this thing ... where do events like triathlons, marathons, and such especially the big ones with 1,000+ athletes fit into “new normal”?
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [dasOlind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think anyone really knows right now. Every significant spectator event (sports, concerts, rodeos, you name it) is struggling with this. Large participation sports face similar uncertainty.

Before we can really get there though, there are a number of things that need to happen:

1. Our healthcare infrastructure needs to return to a close approximation of normal. That means the number of new Covid cases requiring hospitalization needs to be very small. This will happen about 2 weeks or so after the number of new cases becomes minimal. From the looks of it, that might happen at some point in June.

2. We have large amounts of rapid feedback testing in place. We probably need to be able to test upwards of 1 million people per week minimum. Anybody that has any defined symptoms plus a randomized representative testing of asymptomatic people. The later would be both to identify people with active viral infection and a blood test to detect antibodies and presumably immunity.

3. We have the required network of social heath experts who can rapidly quarantine and contact trace/quarantine virtually all suspected new infections. This is problematic because we don’t really have this built today (in the US) and we aren’t likely to do things like individual cell phone monitoring. Without this capability we would remain vulnerable to significant localized outbreaks.

4. Significant and proven antiviral medical therapies that can significantly reduce Covid death rate. This might be antibody plasma or any number of drug therapies being tested. Death rate is context driven. Look at the different death rates in Italy or Spain vs say South Korea and you can see the impact on that metric of an overburdened Heath care system. But in the new normal scenario if we can reduce the death significantly below 1% then this becomes much more like a flu risk and that would be acceptable public health risk.

Once those things are in place we might see smaller, local events opened up first. Think the 80 person 5k or the 150 person sprint.

I think it will be some time after the 4 things above before you see large, National or international events like IM happen.

Of course a vaccine (or very effective treatment regimes) that is very widely distributed (and probably required for entry) would be a game changer. Even if the vaccine is radically fast tracked, having sufficient quantities available and say administered to 100MM + Americans, let alone a few Billion people, will take time.

From where I sit, this implies to me no IM level races this year and probably well into next year. Obviously, I’m not really qualified to make a prediction and my view above could be quite different with new data in just a month or two (don’t give up hope!), but this is what it looks like to me, fwiw.

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now the antibody plasma is showing some hope. However it’s only being given to very sick patients. I think it could be very effective for people with milder symptoms or asymptomatic and possibly be a bridge until a vaccine is widely available. It then would allow a path toward some return to normalcy.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gasparilla Classic - Tampa, FL - - a 30+ year run races (1 mile to half marathon) event held in late February. They are already discussing "what if" plans for the February 2021 race."The Gasparilla Distance Classic Association has always been forthcoming and transparent with its decision making. As we look forward to the 2021 PGDC Race Weekend Events that will be held on February 20 & 21, we are developing a 'What If' protocol that will address a potential cancellation. "

So that we can properly vet and share the protocol, 2021 PGDC Race Weekend Registration will not open on May 1, 2020.

2021 PGDC Registration will open on June 1, 2020.

Last edited by: Upstaterun: Apr 8, 20 14:36
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got an email earlier this afternoon saying Copenhagen isn't going to be happening as planned on August 16th. They'll be letting participants know what our options are no later than April 20th.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [patriots1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this the "latest date" for an Ironman race that his being re jigged. I believe Ironman Canada Penticton is still on at end of Aug.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMSR is still theoretically on for 08/25/2020.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ten Junk Miles podcast put up an episode where Scotty interviewed a number od RDs about what things looks like from their side

https://tenjunkmiles.libsyn.com/...corona-cancellations

For instance, what happens when everyone who had events spread out through the Spring, move them all to the same 2 weeks in October?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may have already been stated but the US Duathlon Championships have been canceled.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tremblant 70.3 officially postponed
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Tremblant 70.3 officially postponed

Yep, just cancelled hotel this morning.

One thing is to read about very good arguments for and against complete absence of any races in 2020 and another thing is to receive a confirmation of your A-race cancellation. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tour de France now postponed with no new date on the horizon.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am astounded that Escape from Alcatraz has still not been officially canceled. They are offering deferments, but come on, it's reckless and naïve to consider having that race first week of June.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

DEV is gonna freak 😂
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

DEV is gonna freak 😂

Unlike many of you who are driving by a traffic accident hoping to see dead people and ambulances I am hoping that events survive for the people involved as I have many good friends tied into a variety of professional and amateur sports. Largely this does not affect my life other than a fan of sport or a participant. I have a tech company to run and I can do my own training and TT's and enough challenges in my life without sports events. I'll train 2-3 hrs per day every day regardless of there being events to do.

But carry on with your glee when those actually trying to put on events have challenges. I think those of you who have infinite finances through secure government backed employment or you're independently wealthy don't get the pain this is causing businesses involved with sport.

Most of those guys are quiet on these threads because they are scrambling around trying to figure out how they will survive and not declare bankruptcy after a lifetime of endeavor put into the events that they put on that we are going to.

In any case, go enjoy the death of events, businesses, employment and entire sporting ecosystems. Its free to you to rejoice in glee, at the demise of others. Well done.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In any case, go enjoy the death of events, businesses, employment and entire sporting ecosystems. Its free to you to rejoice in glee, at the demise of others. Well done.

Dev, you're tired, we're all tired. The last thing I think we want to see (and I"m only speaking for myself) is the demise of our sport and sporting events. Most of my events have been postponed (and likely cancelled) with no complaint from me. Locally, we are supporting local restaurants by ordering take-out 3-4 times a week. We have an adequate pantry and food in the freezer but we do this to support local business.

Brain-storming question. What can we do to help local RDs who are watching their bottom-line turn south? I"m not an RD. I assume if they've purchased bulk gatorade, it has gone to food banks. Would purchasing already printed T-shirts help? ST has a very rich history of helping; I'd like to do my part in helping, I'm just not sure how I can. Any ideas? All ears.
Quote Reply

Prev Next