Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea quit being a whine ass - WE WILL RACE THIS YEAR!!

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [M&M Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga 70.3 I'm sure is going to be postponed - not seen any official word yet though?

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Zach Ruble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing yet, I'm sure its next.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [M&M Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do y'all think will happen if Chattanooga 70.3 is cancelled? Any chance IM will issue a credit for a different race if the schedule change doesn't work?
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey so the Tour De France (and French Public Health Officials) are looking into a Tour de France without road side fans. Oh man, I would be so happy if they can pull that off.

I really don't see how they are able to pull that off. They tried to do that the with last half of Paris-Nice and there were still lots of people on the roadsides once they left the couple hundred meters around the start and finish areas. And that was with a "low interest" weekday race. La Grande Boucle is whole other level. Even if they are able to control fans, there's still 1000+ people directly involved with the tour between the riders, team staff, race officials, and media. Each one of those groups is easily 200 people potentially spreading the virus all over France. Seems like a great way to start the "2nd wave".

Well let's leave it to ASO + French Public Health officials to decide. They are leaving the decision open until May 15th. That is 6 weeks from now. Go to this link and scroll down to Daily New Cases in France:

https://www.worldometers.info/...irus/country/france/

You can see that daily new cases in France is fallen to a constant number already. So the second derivative of cases is zero even though the first derivative is a constant number. Once second derivative is negative for long enough then hosipital capacity becomes a non issue and the question is if they loosen the grip if it moves back to a positive number. You will see the same in Italy and Spain charts. Let's see how the current measures work and let French public health decide if ASO can do this in the middle of July. They are trying which is what actually matters now. The easy thing would be to cancel.

Also the Alpe d'Huez tri issued this on March 18th. They are still "trying" to have an event:

The crisis created by COVID-19 has led to an unprecedented situation, and a climate of uncertainty for everyone. Considering recent events, the organisers of the Alpe d’Huez Triathlon thought it important to put out a statement concerning the running of the 15th edition of the Triathlon, set to happen in four months’ time from the 27th to 30th of July.

As it stands, it’s still too early to tell if any new restrictions will come to light, or if current measures will still be in place by July. However, the organisers of the race are in direct contact with the relevant authorities, keeping the health and well-being of everyone involved as an absolute priority. Any decision will be made under the race’s unwavering maxim ‘health and security above all else’.

In these circumstances, the organisers are well aware of the importance of keeping the triathlon community informed, and we will let you know of all significant developments to the situation as soon as they unfold. As ever, we are committed to being as transparent as possible. For the moment, our procedures have been adjusted to adapt to the situation as it currently stands, in order to give maximum flexibility to the participating triathletes:
– If the event is cancelled, the decision will be communicated to participants by June 30th at the absolute latest, via email and on our usual social media platforms.
– The deadline for cancellation for participants who haven’t signed up for refund insurance has been pushed from the 30th June to the 10th July (30% fee retention applies, as per our usual protocol).

This being said, optimism and a level headed approach are key for the current climate. Stay positive, and above all make responsible decisions. Please follow the official government advice and settle in to your home trainer (in fact, there is an Alpe d’Huez simulation available on Zwift called ‘Alpe du Swift’ – have you tried it yet?). Above all, please don’t forget that the best way to prepare yourself to tackle the Alpe d’Huez legend this summer is to be reasonable, and remember we’re all in this together.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
mgreer wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey so the Tour De France (and French Public Health Officials) are looking into a Tour de France without road side fans. Oh man, I would be so happy if they can pull that off.

I really don't see how they are able to pull that off. They tried to do that the with last half of Paris-Nice and there were still lots of people on the roadsides once they left the couple hundred meters around the start and finish areas. And that was with a "low interest" weekday race. La Grande Boucle is whole other level. Even if they are able to control fans, there's still 1000+ people directly involved with the tour between the riders, team staff, race officials, and media. Each one of those groups is easily 200 people potentially spreading the virus all over France. Seems like a great way to start the "2nd wave".

Well let's leave it to ASO + French Public Health officials to decide. They are leaving the decision open until May 15th. That is 6 weeks from now. Go to this link and scroll down to Daily New Cases in France:

https://www.worldometers.info/...irus/country/france/

You can see that daily new cases in France is fallen to a constant number already. So the second derivative of cases is zero even though the first derivative is a constant number. Once second derivative is negative for long enough then hosipital capacity becomes a non issue and the question is if they loosen the grip if it moves back to a positive number. You will see the same in Italy and Spain charts. Let's see how the current measures work and let French public health decide if ASO can do this in the middle of July. They are trying which is what actually matters now. The easy thing would be to cancel.

Also the Alpe d'Huez tri issued this on March 18th. They are still "trying" to have an event:

The crisis created by COVID-19 has led to an unprecedented situation, and a climate of uncertainty for everyone. Considering recent events, the organisers of the Alpe d’Huez Triathlon thought it important to put out a statement concerning the running of the 15th edition of the Triathlon, set to happen in four months’ time from the 27th to 30th of July.

As it stands, it’s still too early to tell if any new restrictions will come to light, or if current measures will still be in place by July. However, the organisers of the race are in direct contact with the relevant authorities, keeping the health and well-being of everyone involved as an absolute priority. Any decision will be made under the race’s unwavering maxim ‘health and security above all else’.

In these circumstances, the organisers are well aware of the importance of keeping the triathlon community informed, and we will let you know of all significant developments to the situation as soon as they unfold. As ever, we are committed to being as transparent as possible. For the moment, our procedures have been adjusted to adapt to the situation as it currently stands, in order to give maximum flexibility to the participating triathletes:
– If the event is cancelled, the decision will be communicated to participants by June 30th at the absolute latest, via email and on our usual social media platforms.
– The deadline for cancellation for participants who haven’t signed up for refund insurance has been pushed from the 30th June to the 10th July (30% fee retention applies, as per our usual protocol).

This being said, optimism and a level headed approach are key for the current climate. Stay positive, and above all make responsible decisions. Please follow the official government advice and settle in to your home trainer (in fact, there is an Alpe d’Huez simulation available on Zwift called ‘Alpe du Swift’ – have you tried it yet?). Above all, please don’t forget that the best way to prepare yourself to tackle the Alpe d’Huez legend this summer is to be reasonable, and remember we’re all in this together.

yeah, and there is no way that they'll make the decision to continue with the TdF. i mean, can you think of a more perfect way to spread a highly communicable disease across the country than a couple of hundred riders plus staff in close proximity to thousands of fans?

Heard on the radio that the Olympics will be held in July 2021.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Zach Ruble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zach Ruble wrote:
Chattanooga 70.3 I'm sure is going to be postponed - not seen any official word yet though?

The delay in a decision with Chattanooga 70.3 is really pissing me off... not that that’s useful to anyone else. Any idea why they’re sitting on this decision so long in compared to others?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zach Ruble wrote:
$75 refund through April 2. I expect word on April 3.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The discussion is about a no live fans TdF. Just tested riders and team members racing in their bubble daily and fans and journalists all on the other side of the video world. It may be a pipe dream but it seems like French Health officials wants to see if it is viable. So rather than the doom and gloom, let's see if and when it is safe to do it and should it be, encourage them to re launch the sports world.

Or you guys can all go into your caves and rejoice that the sports world is dead. If it is safe, then why not. As I mentioned the $6B IPL is looking at a no fans rest of season so that the fans can stay at home and watch (and be entertained). Its not a bad thing if some pro sports can happen safely with fans at home watching that instead of Covid19 news.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [dasOlind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dasOlind wrote:
Zach Ruble wrote:

The delay in a decision with Chattanooga 70.3 is really pissing me off... not that that’s useful to anyone else. Any idea why they’re sitting on this decision so long in compared to others?

I've heard that it's because they are trying to find the best day with the city of Chattanooga. Lots of events have been cancelled and postponed, so some/most of them have to be rescheduled as well.
One source is saying that it's possible it could be sometime in August. Just seat tight and wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, nobody is rejoicing that sports is on indefinite hold for now. You’re being awfully dramatic, and, IMO, kind of cavalier in your attitude towards getting things back to normal.

The reason we need doom and gloom is to scare asshats away from making dumb decisions. I’m not sure how you think the French authorities can enforce no live crowds over say a 100 mile bike course. It’s impossible to do so.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
dasOlind wrote:
Zach Ruble wrote:

I've heard that it's because they are trying to find the best day with the city of Chattanooga. Lots of events have been cancelled and postponed, so some/most of them have to be rescheduled as well.
One source is saying that it's possible it could be sometime in August. Just seat tight and wait.

Why can't IM put out a notice saying that then? No event on May 17, we are working on a rescheduled date. We'll let you know within the next two weeks. Simple.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Dev, nobody is rejoicing that sports is on indefinite hold for now. You’re being awfully dramatic, and, IMO, kind of cavalier in your attitude towards getting things back to normal.

The reason we need doom and gloom is to scare asshats away from making dumb decisions. I’m not sure how you think the French authorities can enforce no live crowds over say a 100 mile bike course. It’s impossible to do so.

Hey, what I am saying is just leave it to French Health officials and ASO to figure out if they can have a no fans event. They are not idiots and know their country better than us, and a few farmers gathering together on the side of a 100 mile stage by that point may be just fine if French Health Officials allow it (none of us know that right now). They are not idiots and know that if they put on an event, there will be fans that come out just like at that point, they are probably hoping to send people back to their offices too. If they can do the latter, I believe the discussion in France is they want to see if it is viable.

While unlikey, let's leave it to them to figure out. We don't need to make the decision for them (and we have no say anyway) and they are not asshats and will make an informed decision by May 15th. I'm not being cavalier, I am just supporting any sports organization that can make a way to put on events SAFELY (that's the key word).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Hey, what I am saying is just leave it to French Health officials and ASO to figure out if they can have a no fans event. They are not idiots and know their country better than us, and a few farmers gathering together on the side of a 100 mile stage by that point may be just fine if French Health Officials allow it (none of us know that right now). They are not idiots and know that if they put on an event, there will be fans that come out just like at that point, they are probably hoping to send people back to their offices too. If they can do the latter, I believe the discussion in France is they want to see if it is viable.

While unlikey, let's leave it to them to figure out. We don't need to make the decision for them (and we have no say anyway) and they are not asshats and will make an informed decision by May 15th. I'm not being cavalier, I am just supporting any sports organization that can make a way to put on events SAFELY (that's the key word).

no one is making the decision for them here (obviously) it's just that given what we know about the tdf and the nature of Covid-19, it seems to be exceedingly unlikely that it will be possible to actually do it safely, even with the no-fans rule and testing for all of the athletes, support staff, officials, etc. etc. a) there is not a chance in hell that fans will actually stay away. b) testing would be a massive undertaking, the community would be better served to not divert resources and to focus efforts on fighting covid, which will not be gone by then.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmkizer wrote:
s13tx wrote:
dasOlind wrote:
Zach Ruble wrote:

Why can't IM put out a notice saying that then? No event on May 17, we are working on a rescheduled date. We'll let you know within the next two weeks. Simple.

Exactly my thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga 70.3 postponed. New date Aug. 23rd
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [B2rad4u] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B2rad4u wrote:
Other options:
1. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Augusta: September 27, 2020
2. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina: October 17, 2020
3. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City: September 13, 2020
4. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Chattanooga: May 23, 2021

Has anybody had any luck requesting a free transfer to a race that's not offered?
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [B2rad4u] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B2rad4u wrote:

I wonder if they would reopen a race like this if enough people choose to defer to next year or pick one of the other options?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will reopen. Likely a week after the deferred deadline, so mid April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
---

That's the same weekend as IMMT. It looks like the WTC is banking on there being life in the late season. Good luck to them.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They could easily do a no fans event in any sport that plays in a stadium or arena. They could do a no fans cycling event at a track, or even a crit; just close off a couple of blocks of town or an office park. To think that you could really secure as many miles of roadway a day as they ride it insanity. Think how many miles people walk/ride a few miles just to see them on the mountains. You don't think those fans would just walk to somewhere else to watch but instead of taking the paved roads to their viewing spot I suspect they cut thru farmer's fields. In other words, you'd need more than just a gendarme at every intersection.

Also, don't forget the economic impact to the cities & towns that host a start or finish. Sure part of it is prestige but some of their costs are offset by the increased income related to tourism dollars. Take away the tourists & I bet some towns would balk at hosting, at least at the levels that were originally budgeted.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Great Saunter has been moved to some undisclosed date in the fall.

For those of you who haven’t heard of this somewhat obscure event, the Great Saunter is a 32 mile circumnavigation of the shoreline of Manhattan. I did it last year with about 2000 other people. Most walk it (that’s what I did)...

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B2rad4u wrote:

Connecticut and Blue Ridge 70.3s postponed as well. No new dates yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
37 Ironman branded events now postponed or cancelled....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All cycling events off until after June 1.

USA Tri: What's up with May championships?
Quote Reply

Prev Next