Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
You think Thomas is clean? Any of the top 10 GC guys?

Yeah, sure, I do.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
chriselam wrote:

Yeah, sure, I do.

Sheeeeeeeeeaaaaat......
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
chrisb7 wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
This may be a stupid question but has the tour ever come down to a race to the finish on the final stage? Usually I just see the winning team side by side drinking champagne but they have it locked up by then. I guess it would be nearly impossible for a ‘team’ breakaway to put enough of a split ahead of SKy’s train and overtake yellow. So it comes down to tomorrow’s ITT - which really is how it should be. Win or lose it on your own effort giving 110% on the day.

1989 had a time trial into Paris on the last day. Laurent Fignon had the lead going into the stage but lost out to Greg LeMond.

Thanks. That’s what I thinking too - it would have to be a time trial. Was that the last time they did it that way or have them been more recent final stage ITT’s?

Can’t remember any after 1989. Can’t imagine it was popular having a Frenchman loosing a lead on the last day.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Porte, Uran and Nibali out of race and Movistar and Bardet never seriously in it, have to say this was a very entertaining tour. Thomas has looked 100% in control from start to finish and taken care of bisuiness without a lot of fanfare. Pretty impressive.

I’m still surprised that Dumoulin is so good with Giro in his legs. Next year he ought to be even stronger.

Roglic? Not much more to say other than wow. He’s the complete package and proved he can not only dominate 7-day races but also GTs.

Bernal’s ToC performance announced his arrival but how anyone could have predicted his strength during 3rd week is beyond me. Will be interesting to see if he can develop into a complete GT guy.

Now then: 3 weeks until Aru, Porte, Yates, Nibali, Uran, Bennett line up in Spain. Some other interesting names too—Valverde, Landa and Sagan: https://www.procyclingstats.com/...pana/2018/startlist/ Wonder if Thomas will be enticed.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 28, 18 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Wonder if Thomas will be enticed.

Or Froome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 spoke wheels in le tour?

https://ig.me/baWOVEUZHeuGgK
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
2 spoke wheels in le tour?

https://ig.me/baWOVEUZHeuGgK

And a *disc brake* 2-spoke. Some here must be going into seizures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
With Porte, Uran and Nibali out of race and Movistar and Bardet never seriously in it, have to say this was a very entertaining tour. Thomas has looked 100% in control from start to finish and taken care of bisuiness without a lot of fanfare. Pretty impressive.

I’m still surprised that Dumoulin is so good with Giro in his legs. Next year he ought to be even stronger.

Roglic? Not much more to say other than wow. He’s the complete package and proved he can not only dominate 7-day races but also GTs.

Bernal’s ToC performance announced his arrival but how anyone could have predicted his strength during 3rd week is beyond me. Will be interesting to see if he can develop into a complete GT guy.

Now then: 3 weeks until Aru, Porte, Yates, Nibali, Uran, Bennett line up in Spain. Some other interesting names too—Valverde, Landa and Sagan: https://www.procyclingstats.com/...pana/2018/startlist/ Wonder if Thomas will be enticed.

All the above.
Hats off to Thomas. He was so deferential re all the Froome questions and yet it never undermined his performance and confidence. And Froome never went off the rails either. I like that manager for Sky, Nick Portal. Gives real answers in the interviews.
I'm thinking Froome lines up for the Vuelta just because, like the Terminator, "it's what he does....it's ALL he does". Fierce competitor, I'll give him that.
Froome is putting time into Roglic.....not a shocker.
I think the Vuelta would suit Bernal next year.
This has been an excellent race. Love seeing all the young talent coming up in a better environment.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mrs. GT is quite fetching..........

Happy for TD. Dude comes within 2 minutes of beating Sky Nation for GT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TD is super impressive, glad he got a stage win.

Roglic looks like he paid for yesterday. In a way it’s good to see guys crack a little bit. Contrasts Foome’s GT depth with being only a second off Dumoulin.

Feels like the changing of the guard is afoot—Froome, Thomas, Nibali, Porte all edging towards the exit with the ascent of TD, Roglic, Yates, Lopez, Bennett. Quite a few others on the bubble or a few years away. And not to be forgotten are guys like Aru, Uran, Bardet and Quintana that can’t seem to close the deal with any consistency, but could certainly win on the right route.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 28, 18 11:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved that Tour. I paid for Eurosport access and kept myself blissfully unaware each day of what was transpiring, and then watched as-live each evening. Highlights for me were:

John Degenkolb getting the stage 9 wim, and the pathos attached to that come back.

G winning on stages 11 (I was screaming like a nut job at home), and then the next day again on stage 12. I haven’t felt emotions like that in a while.

Brilliant. Love Dan Martin and his kamikaze approach. Love Roglic and his will. Love Tom Domoulin, and the way he somehow matches Sky without a team to support him. And I really enjoyed the Michelson Scott videos in YouTube. But at heart I am a fan of British cyclists and I am delighted to see G win, and Froome relinquish his title with dignity and grace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

No. But as a Froome-hater, super happy to see Dumoulin deny him a stage win in this one. TD deserves a stage win himself, and he earned it.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 28, 18 14:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Feels like the changing of the guard is afoot—

Also for the sprinters. Cav, Greipel, and Kittel pushed unceremoniously off to the side by Gaviria, Groenewegen, and Demare. Kittel not "old" like Greipel and Cav, but seemingly unable to find consistency.

Only Sagan seems set to provide continuity in the TdF. He could conceivably collect green jerseys for another 4-6 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Also for the sprinters. Cav, Greipel, and Kittel pushed unceremoniously off to the side by Gaviria, Groenewegen, and Demare. Kittel not "old" like Greipel and Cav, but seemingly unable to find consistency.

Only Sagan seems set to provide continuity in the TdF. He could conceivably collect green jerseys for another 4-6 years.

I wonder what happens to griepel now that Caleb Ewen is going to lotto?

Kittel has been very dissapointing since moving to katusha. Does that say he is only as good as his lead out team ala quickstep, it has he gone backwards?
Cav just isn’t in form all year really- to see him sprinting on a bmc next year is going to be a bit strange.

Anyway it’s unlikely to happen but I’d like to see Edvald take a win in Paris tomorrow. Straight up guy, works hard for his team. He got close last year a few times. Failing that Kristoff I’m hoping will take it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
chriselam wrote:

Yeah, sure, I do.

Yeah, why not. Me too. What the hell.
Last edited by: McNulty: Jul 28, 18 19:40
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

I wonder what happens to griepel now that Caleb Ewen is going to lotto?

Kittel has been very dissapointing since moving to katusha. Does that say he is only as good as his lead out team ala quickstep, it has he gone backwards?
Cav just isn’t in form all year really- to see him sprinting on a bmc next year is going to be a bit strange.

Anyway it’s unlikely to happen but I’d like to see Edvald take a win in Paris tomorrow. Straight up guy, works hard for his team. He got close last year a few times. Failing that Kristoff I’m hoping will take it.

Bo Haag would be great but I'd like to see Kristoff get one too. Or at least not pipped by Sagan again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw that and thought the same. No excuses, “what if’s,” or anything to take away from Thomas’ victory—all class. Thomas was equally humble; ASO and the UCI are breathing a collective sigh of relief he won and not Froome.

Speaking of, going to be interesting offseaon discussions aboard the Death Star about ‘19 TdF leadership, assuming Thomas doesn’t sign elsewhere.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 28, 18 21:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2019 could be an epic GC year. Froome showing cracks (even in the Giro, he was only able to bail himself out with one epic stage, was otherwise vulnerable). Thomas can go 3 weeks. Dumoulin is only going to get better, particularly if he gets a teammate or two who can last deep into stages. Roglic is looking electric in every aspect of racing. Porte and Nibali hopefully make one more run at it. Adam Yates hopefully figures out consistency. Bardet, Landa, Quintana always ready to play spoiler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

No. But as a Froome-hater, super happy to see Dumoulin deny him a stage win in this one. TD deserves a stage win himself, and he earned it.

The irony is that Dumoulin is a one man Sky train - all he does is grind. V boring to watch ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If any STers want to hang out, I am down in the park by the Louvre for the arrival. Random but you never know. PM me or say hi if you see a skinny shaved leg guy in a “life is brewtiful” shirt. Posting in both TdF topics just in case.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:

The irony is that Dumoulin is a one man Sky train - all he does is grind. V boring to watch ;-)

True! But exciting because the outcome isn't seemingly pre-ordained with Dumoulin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sagan gets called up, goes to fans on side to sign autographs on line. Take note, kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy for Kristoff, anybody but Demare. Froome and Thomas look truely happy, i don't think there was any animosity.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Happy for Kristoff, anybody but Demare. Froome and Thomas look truely happy, i don't think there was any animosity.

yep.....Kristoff is a class dude......best Tour in a long time
Quote Reply

Prev Next