09 Daniel Martin (Irl) UAE Team Emirates 0:06:33
10 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team 0:09:31

Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
cartsman wrote:
Froome in trouble, this is all about Thomas for Sky now

Great ride by Danny boy. Guess now Sky has one more super dom. Good on GT. LEGIT.

I doubt Froome joins the train. He will likely be told to protect his 3rd place unless Thomas is on a bad day and yellow is in danger. At this point I think it’s more likely that Thomas lays the smack down on stage 19 than has a bad day though. He’s probably going to just be conservative for the TT, but really curious to see just how strong Thomas is now. He’s only been able to unleash the last 1 km of Stages.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phil and paul lost their objectivity. i would say lost it "today" but it's kind of been building to this. they're all in for sky.

no, froome chasing roglic was not sky's plan. froome rides for froome and then sky papers over it when the stage is over; and phil and paul paper over it during their commentary.

then phil commenting, numerous times, about how unfair and unsportsmanlike the booing of sky. i rather think it's a refreshing reaction to a generation ago, when doping was not considered a problem by european fans.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless something crazy happens GT just stuck a fork in this TDF. Here’s my take away from what I’ve seen so far.

1) Yes, it is impossible to do the double.
2) Color me over reacting, and of course he’s still very strong but given his age the Froome era is likely over.
3) If TD focuses on the TDF he will be the dominant cyclist in the world.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pony up for NBC gold and you can watch the entire stage, ad free, wi5hout Phil and Paul...

I haven’t had to listen to one stage with them yet.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Unless something crazy happens GT just stuck a fork in this TDF. Here’s my take away from what I’ve seen so far.

2) Color me over reacting, and of course he’s still very strong but given his age the Froome era is likely over.

Froome to race triathlon now?
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

Froome to race triathlon now?

Froome to race tri???? O gawd!!! that would be an ugly sight!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
phil and paul lost their objectivity. i would say lost it "today" but it's kind of been building to this. they're all in for sky.

no, froome chasing roglic was not sky's plan. froome rides for froome and then sky papers over it when the stage is over; and phil and paul paper over it during their commentary.

then phil commenting, numerous times, about how unfair and unsportsmanlike the booing of sky. i rather think it's a refreshing reaction to a generation ago, when doping was not considered a problem by european fans.

I don't generally watch Phil and Paul, but I do agree with your assessment of them with regard to their lack of objectivity from what I have seen the past few years. That said, I disagree with regard to the refreshing attitude of the fans. Yes they are booing Froome, but if it was just about doping why wouldn't they boo Zakarin, Valverde or the other number of riders who have actually had real issues and suspensions?

Edit to say I'm not defending Froome. I think most at the top are up to something, but their is a bias against him and Sky that is exasperated by their holier than though bullshit and Brailsford's asshat comments.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Jul 25, 18 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that absent Froome's early crash, he was in yellow days ago and the entire dynamic of this race was different all along.

Saying his era is over is very premature. He cracked today, but still sits 3rd overall and has raced 4 straight grand tours, winning all except likely this one. GT is the only person currently on the podium who did not race the Giro. GT is the man in this race, but come on - Froome is done off one bad day (about 50 seconds off the yellow jersey)?

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Realistically speaking, I'll bet Froome has one more year where he can be a legitimate contender.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Keep in mind that absent Froome's early crash, he was in yellow days ago and the entire dynamic of this race was different all along.

Saying his era is over is very premature. He cracked today, but still sits 3rd overall and has raced 4 straight grand tours, winning all except likely this one. GT is the only person currently on the podium who did not race the Giro. GT is the man in this race, but come on - Froome is done off one bad day (about 50 seconds off the yellow jersey)?

It’s not about the “one bad day” it’s just how it is in pro sports. He’s 33, and from this point on will likely lose a little every year. He’s clearly behind TD, who’s 27 and still getting stronger the next few years. Hell even if he was in yellow his era would be in it’s ending days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Thomas specifically said it ws their plan for Froome to go early and try something. If Froome had the legs he would have countered Roglic, he did not have the legs. Sky had to cover any attack from Roglic or TD. That was a perfect move by Froome as it forced TD to chase.

If the fans were worried about doping they should be booing the actual dopers...Valverde, Zakarin, AG2R/Astana with their own trail of doping positives over the last few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may very well be right, but it will take more than one race to figure that out. Until this very stage Froome was ahead of Tom D. The last grand tour they raced, Tom D was in fact not better. So I am not sure the justification for him being "clearly" ahead of Froome outside of today.

Tom D is very strong and may be trending up while Froome is trending down, but again - this is the first time Tom D has bested Froome in a GT (which still isn't over).

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
flynnzu wrote:

It’s not about the “one bad day” it’s just how it is in pro sports. He’s 33, and from this point on will likely lose a little every year. He’s clearly behind TD, who’s 27 and still getting stronger the next few years. Hell even if he was in yellow his era would be in it’s ending days.

I suspect Froome has 2 good years left at a TDF winning level, he clearly cannot do the double. In reality he has raced four grand tours in a row, that takes a tremendous toll on the body. Froome raced (won) two grand tours, then beat TD in the Giro, and now gave up 30 seconds to TD, cut the guy some slack. What is amazing is that this was his first bad day where he lost time do to fitness, the rest of the significant time losses are due to his crashes. I suspect he will come into next year 100% focused on the tour and win.

Thomas looks very strong and fresh. He should have this 100% locked up. Sky can tempo out the last mountain day and then mark TD/Roglic. I suspect Roglic may
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget TD lost 1:20 due to a flat tire & resulting penalty for drafting the team car in the first week. Damn this would be a lot more exciting had that not happened.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I don't generally watch Phil and Paul, but I do agree with your assessment of them with regard to their lack of objectivity from what I have seen the past few years. That said, I disagree with regard to the refreshing attitude of the fans. Yes they are booing Froome, but if it was just about doping why wouldn't they boo Zakarin, Valverde or the other number of riders who have actually had real issues and suspensions?

Edit to say I'm not defending Froome. I think most at the top are up to something, but their is a bias against him and Sky that is exasperated by their holier than though bullshit and Brailsford's asshat comments.

i think they're booing froome because:

1. he won the last several grand tours. zakharin, valverde, et al, didn't.
2. he didn't serve a suspension, while others did.
3. there is the perception that sky bought his acquittal.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Froome did have to make an epic comeback to win the Giro. I’m also not saying he’s completely washed out I’m just saying he’s no longer the strongest cyclist in the world and his winning the TDF days are over (likely) given his age and all the guys behind him whom are trending up as he trends down. It’s not just TD. It’s Roglic, Landa, Quintana, Bardet, are all top 10 riders under 30. While not impressive in the overall that Gomez kid at age 21 riding the way he did today... and the last few days for that matter. Froome will still be a top guy it’s just I don’t think next year and further he will have what it takes to win the TDF. Had a similar conversation about a guy named Contador just after HE won the Giro and then raced the TDF. Around when he was the same age and some guy named Froome was a couple years younger...

Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andre Greipel....

"Maybe somebody should tell @GroupamaFDJ and @ArnaudDemare that there is GPS tracking in @LeTour. Chapeau to lose just 9min on a 17 km climb on @NairoQuinCo #notthefirsttime."

Looks like Demare once again took a tow, MSR all over again
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Would love to see Valverde work effectively for Quintana, who sucks btw.

That's the first Quintana attack at the Tour since about 2015 isn't it?

And I was about to label Quintana a dud this year.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Thomas looks very strong and fresh. He should have this 100% locked up. Sky can tempo out the last mountain day and then mark TD/Roglic.

what do you want to wager that froome doesn't race for froome on stage 19?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Looks like Froome simply didn’t have it...his nose never saw the front of the GC pack today and I’m not surprised at all as he had shown no signs of having it this tour. Kudos to Thomas though as he is clearly the strongest and just needs to stay clean. Bernal should be able to help him chase down any Dumoulin attacks, but even Dumoulin doesn’t seem to have much left.

Now i agree. It’s pretty much over. TD and Froome both look cooked coming off the Giro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
flynnzu wrote:

Froome is still the dominant cyclist until proven otherwise. It looks to me like Bernal is who they are grooming to take his place if he can TT
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumolin still looks too big to me to be a top TDF guy. Of course, Jan Ullrich was similar to TD and he won one, so you never know.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, I know. Arm chair quarterbacking.

Observations: Glad Quintana bagged that; good for him and team. Glad to see GT firmly in control; hard not to like the guy. There's no doubt TD is a legit contender in every gt. Rojlic has announced his arrival and good chance he jumps Froome for 3rd; should be good battles to come with him vs TD vs Quintana. Glad to see Froome is human. Bernal; Jezus, he's scary.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indurain did ok for a big man.
Quote Reply

Prev Next