Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else get dizzy from all the swerving around other riders when you're doing a workout?

I'm baffled at how bad the algorithm is that controls the rider-rider interactions. Left- Right-Through people, it doesn't seem to matter.

When I'm doing a workout, and passing people quickly, I have to look away from the screen.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG-yes, I hear you.

I wondered if I was traveling all this extra distance and whether it was slowing me down in races. You know, effectively NOT holding tangents swerving all over the place.

Dizzying....and disturbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Does anyone else get dizzy from all the swerving around other riders when you're doing a workout?

I'm baffled at how bad the algorithm is that controls the rider-rider interactions. Left- Right-Through people, it doesn't seem to matter.

When I'm doing a workout, and passing people quickly, I have to look away from the screen.

that has not happened to me. but if you WANT to get dizzy, ride repack ridge. or, run repack ridge. if you can't ride it (because you don't have steering) or won't run it, which requires a treadmill, what used to make me dizzy was that underground parking garage or whatever that was, where you kept going down levels. where was that? london? i don't remember. but repack ridge will definitely buck you off if you're not careful.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
repack is still my favorite run route on zwift-ever since you enlightened me to it, Dan

I get so into the twists and turns that I've often hit the side of the TM and tripped--haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zoom down the escalator into the tube station that transports you to Surrey from London I believe you are referring to. Doing that at high speed in a race is most certainly disconcerting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have issues with Garmin HR Dual not connecting to Zwift, My Asserimo pedals don't either though they are picked up by my garmin edge.

Have an ANT stick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try riding the Ses (Sees? S-es?) on a Wahoo Climb. That can get a little freaky.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Anyone have issues with Garmin HR Dual not connecting to Zwift, My Asserimo pedals don't either though they are picked up by my garmin edge.

Have an ANT stick

Not quite the same but I cannot get my Vector 3 pedals to connect to Zwift via ANT+ but they do connect via BT. They connect to everything else no problem with ANT+.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [ThomD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Esses I believe. I'd imagine Titans Grove is interesting as well!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tried a new ant stick, worked whew

But bought the kids two new MTB so it was a more expensive fix than I thought
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had my first group ride with "The Fence" enabled. What did I think? Well, annoying, a bit, entertaining, a bit, and it didn't appear to stop fliers off the front, even well beyond it.
Annoying -- you get anywhere near it, you get a big message "RETURN TO GROUP." Well, I'm still behind it so why am I getting that message?
Entertaining -- Kinda fun watching it on the overhead mini-map negotiate sharp turns. (That lasted all of about 3 minutes.)
Usefulness -- I don't know. I didn't venture ahead of it to see if it attacked me in any way, like booting me out of the ride, stopping me dead cold, or whatever.

My two cents - I think a cool option for the ride leader would be to invoke "Molasses Mode". What this means, when enabled, for every 5 meters you get ahead of the fence, Zwift will add 1% grade to the existing grade, just for you. That oughta slow them fliers down. 10 meters, 2%; 15 meters, 3% and so on.

What do you think?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
I just had my first group ride with "The Fence" enabled. What did I think? Well, annoying, a bit, entertaining, a bit, and it didn't appear to stop fliers off the front, even well beyond it.
Annoying -- you get anywhere near it, you get a big message "RETURN TO GROUP." Well, I'm still behind it so why am I getting that message?
Entertaining -- Kinda fun watching it on the overhead mini-map negotiate sharp turns. (That lasted all of about 3 minutes.)
Usefulness -- I don't know. I didn't venture ahead of it to see if it attacked me in any way, like booting me out of the ride, stopping me dead cold, or whatever.

My two cents - I think a cool option for the ride leader would be to invoke "Molasses Mode". What this means, when enabled, for every 5 meters you get ahead of the fence, Zwift will add 1% grade to the existing grade, just for you. That oughta slow them fliers down. 10 meters, 2%; 15 meters, 3% and so on.

What do you think?

has the fence been returned to its prior utility? if so, that's news to me. in my opinion, the best defense against badly managed group rides is to manage them better. i don't miss not having the fence in the ride in which i most often participate, which is our hilly vanilli ride on thursdays. we have exceptional ride leaders, and a bit of gentle peer pressure for those who are naive to the culture of the ride.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

has the fence been returned to its prior utility?
I did the Dutch Diesel Cycling Starter ride yesterday and, yes, the ride leader invoked the fence.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the critical power curve information stored locally on a device? I had to rebuild my Zwift computer between rides, and today my critical power curve was blank save for today's ride...

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Is the critical power curve information stored locally on a device? I had to rebuild my Zwift computer between rides, and today my critical power curve was blank save for today's ride...

Yes, it's saved locally. a couple of months ago my PM was giving me a little glitch and reading 2000 watts (removing the battery cover and reinstalling fixed the issue, no repeats since), so I deleted the contents of one of the folders (I forget which) to start over. I lost my power curve data, but that was fine since a lot of that was based off virtual power, which was about 30-40 watts too high.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a very experienced user so perhaps this is covered elsewhere, or perhaps someone more knowledgeable can answer this: I know you can give a thumb's up even when you're new. What level must you attain before you can give a finger?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:

What do you think?

I'd think that the more elegant solution would be just to disable drafting when past the fence. Hard enough to dissuade you from doing it, but easy enough that if you really wanted to take a flyer you probably could (depending on the group/event). The good news is that they already have this functionality with TT bikes so might be easy to implement.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
I'm not a very experienced user so perhaps this is covered elsewhere, or perhaps someone more knowledgeable can answer this: I know you can give a thumb's up even when you're new. What level must you attain before you can give a finger?

How to give a ride-on is in this article:
https://www.zwift.com/...-and-out?__znl=en-ca
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:

you always bring your A game to this board, and I appreciate it.

Level 51 is what you're looking for.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the current Tour of Watopia, can we mix and match ride and run events?

I've done the first 4 stages as longer rides, but even the short version of Stage 5, which starts on Monday, is 32k on a climby route. Ordinarily not an issue, but I'm on a recovery week next week and I'm not certain I could covert this one into a recovery ride.

The 6k run, however, could work for that purpose. Anyone know of I could sub that one in and still get credit for completion?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know the answer to your exact question, but there is a seven day makeup period, from 23-29 April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:

[tl;dr] No

If it's like other tours, which seems like a safe bet, they are completely separate events, each with its own participation (1 or more) and completion (all 5 of that discipline, can mix and match A, B, C, or E) reward kits. The way the ride and run checkoffs are presented in Companion bears that out as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The good news is that they already have this functionality with TT bikes ...

True, that is good news.

Quote:
... so might be easy to implement.

That's funny that you think Zwift might actually implement useful and requested features. Heck, I fairly new to Zwift and there are so many obvious and seemingly easy features that could be made. It surprises me that the platform is this far along and many (most?) of them haven't been made.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skip wrote:
timbasile wrote:

[tl;dr] No

If it's like other tours, which seems like a safe bet, they are completely separate events, each with its own participation (1 or more) and completion (all 5 of that discipline, can mix and match A, B, C, or E) reward kits. The way the ride and run checkoffs are presented in Companion bears that out as well.

Ah, well. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll just take one of the make up dates. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode with the update today where you can remove the graphics overlay. Loved it, should have been a standard feature. But whatever. I like being able to ride just like outside, glance at the computer but otherwise respond to terrain. Real life only has grade markers on climbs on signs, not graphics.

Did Ventoux this way and liked it.

So I come to give kudos this time. Not complaints. I feel it brings the realism back in check, especially for "world hacked" rides where there are fewer folks on the roads. Riding without the overlay made me kind of want a Kickr Climb.
Quote Reply

Prev Next