Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
cloy wrote:
. I like doing hill repeats on Zwift and a smart trainer makes that work.

Can you tel me how you go about doing hill repeats on Zwift?
I would love to do some but I am not sure how you go about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
MRid wrote:
cloy wrote:
. I like doing hill repeats on Zwift and a smart trainer makes that work.

Pick the hill or part of the hill you want to do repeats on then climb until you get to where you want to turn around, touch the screen and hit the you turn icon, repeat from the bottom.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
MRid wrote:
I like doing hill repeats on Zwift and a smart trainer makes that work.

Couple ways, depending on the hill and how you want to do it. The easiest way is to ride up a hill, then press the turn around button (there is one on the companion app, or if you are on a computer, press the down arrow key), ride down the hill, then turn around again.

I like to do box/fox hill repeats. So if London is an option, pick London Loop, ride out to the hill, go up Box hill, descend the the other side. Get to bottom, turn around, go up Fox hill, descend other side, repeat as many as you want to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

I used to use TR religiously, but I've since gotten a coach. I do his workouts within Zwift. So I'm guessing I'll still be using ERG mode for those rides (and not simulation mode).

I didn't think I'd like erg mode, then I tried it and liked it very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to calibrate trainers via Bluetooth within Zwift?

Typically I don't worry about it too much, but when I race I go through this procedure to ensure that I have a warmed-up calibration close to the start:

1. Pick a world, start a warm-up ride.
2. After 20 or so minutes (and about 10 minutes before race-start) I exit Zwift to disconnect bluetooth from my trainer
3. Pair to Saris App (For H2) on my phone and perform calibration.
4. Fire Zwift back up, Go back into a warm-up ride and continue warm-up until race starts

I leave the additional time in case something goes wrong and I'm delayed with logging back in.
(It was worse on my computer, but everything is pretty fast and smooth on AppleTv).

With an Ant+ Set up (that I had on my MacBook) I could calibrate within Zwift.
However, when running Bluetooth on the MacBook or most recently on Apple TV I no longer see the option to calibrate.

Am I missing something?

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I do to calibrate without exiting Zwift: pull up the pairing screen, unpair the trainer, close the pairing screen, start trainer app to pair/calibrate/disconnect, then pair back to the trainer in Zwift.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my first session with the Kickr this AM.

did not like.

I power matched with my power2max crank. Workout was comprised of 50" intervals at 135%. I did erg mode on one of the intervals, but it ended in a death spiral. I switch to erg mode off (which I thought was going to behave like my old fluid trainer), but I was consistently fighting the trainer to maintain my power. It seems like it would ramp up the resistance a few seconds before the interval and then ease up about 10 seconds in, causing me to shift to a higher gear... Then the same thing would happen again causing me to shift again.

Also, during the recoveries, it wouldn't let me spin at 130w at 80 rpm. IT was making me grind at 65rpm at 160w.

Any suggestions? Is power match causing my issues?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgot to ask this the other day. I was in Dutchy Estate doing laps. I notice the one or two odd off riders blasting around at some silly w/kg sometimes for never ending times. Whatever. Ignoring those.

During this ride though, I noticed a lot of folks blasting by at nearly 2x my speed uphill...........at lower w/kg values. I was going up the little Dutchy hill at about 4w/kg each time, and these riders blow by at like 10mph faster while they were doing like 2.5w/kg.

What bug is that in the game? I think they were Zpower dumb trainer riders. I would still think the w/kg would be high if the trainer curve and speed were screwed up.

Doesn't really matter to me, just tosses off the "feel" of the environment a bit to see things going on defying physics.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Forgot to ask this the other day. I was in Dutchy Estate doing laps. I notice the one or two odd off riders blasting around at some silly w/kg sometimes for never ending times. Whatever. Ignoring those.

During this ride though, I noticed a lot of folks blasting by at nearly 2x my speed uphill...........at lower w/kg values. I was going up the little Dutchy hill at about 4w/kg each time, and these riders blow by at like 10mph faster while they were doing like 2.5w/kg.

What bug is that in the game? I think they were Zpower dumb trainer riders. I would still think the w/kg would be high if the trainer curve and speed were screwed up.

Doesn't really matter to me, just tosses off the "feel" of the environment a bit to see things going on defying physics.
It shouldn't matter where the power data is coming from but who knows. I have seen a few bugs on Zwift in the last couple of months, but mostly isolated cases. There was a bug a while back (could be as far back as May) where occasional riders were going at huge speeds for no apparent reason. I was riding a circuit of the Jungle route and got passed 3 or 4 times by a guy doing laps at about 140km/h on pretty average power (maybe 2.5-3.0W/kg). Clearly a bug that he was enjoying! Riding a bike up a 5% climb on gravel at 140km/h is no mean feat!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

It shouldn't matter where the power data is coming from but who knows. I have seen a few bugs on Zwift in the last couple of months, but mostly isolated cases. There was a bug a while back (could be as far back as May) where occasional riders were going at huge speeds for no apparent reason. I was riding a circuit of the Jungle route and got passed 3 or 4 times by a guy doing laps at about 140km/h on pretty average power (maybe 2.5-3.0W/kg). Clearly a bug that he was enjoying! Riding a bike up a 5% climb on gravel at 140km/h is no mean feat!!!

My thoughts weren't as innocent as a bug at first. At first I thought it may be a ploy by users to somehow get Zwift to read a logical w/kg to display on the game but in reality the user is feeding some ludicrous power to it. So, accurate looking w/kg (not like riding around at 9 or 10w/kg forever)........but leveraging the fact that 2w/kg at 1000w would still be 1000w. That way a rider could accumulate a crap load of drops and distance really quick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done erg mode workouts using my power pedals as the power source, and the trainer connected as the controllable trainer. I’ve never experienced the issue you stated. I have an Elite Direto direct drive, so not a kicker, but I know plenty of people who have tried what you tried with the kicker. I’d see what happens when you use the kicker as both power source and controllable, and troubleshoot from there. Maybe check to make sure the firmware on the trainer is up to date? But you should be able to do what you were trying, no problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a 4x15' session this morning. All in erg.

I tried to do a spindown of the kickr to calibrate it after my warm up, but that turned out to be a complete waste of time. The Kickr wouldn't register inside the wahoo app, so I went back to powermatching with the P2M.

Overall, though, it worked much better than the first time. I think it was more my understanding and comfort of the trainer's modes (erg vs. Zwift's "incline"). Yesterday's session was "incline" and I didn't realize I could adjust the trainer's resistance inside zwift. Now I'd like to go back and try that session again because i think 50" intervals are sufficiently long enough to work with erg.

One takeaway: I was supposed to hold 290w, but it seemed like it was consistently coming-in under target. So I just bumped up the bias to 105% and ended up averaging 293 for the intervals, so I'm happy with that. The biggest thing I learned (coming from a dumb trainer to a smart trainer in erg): I just need to stop watching the power readings and focus on cadence. I'm very used to staring at the power and making micro adjustments to hit the target.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, cadence is everything in erg mode. As long as you keep a constant cadence (regardless of what the cadence is) then it will keep a constant power for you.

I've found that I sometimes have trouble connecting my Direto to the app, to calibrate, and it's always because it's connecting by bluetooth to a different device (tablet usually). So I have to disconnect it from that first. I connect via Ant+ to PC, so I never have an issue there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know why Zwift doesn’t pull through the full Garmin stats? Like aerobic and anaerobic effort etc.

Also, here in NZ we have an app called Vitality which pulls through workouts from Garmin but won’t pull through a workout that Zwift has pushed to Garmin.

Ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. Pls help. I'm fairly new and need this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both my kickr and kickr snap has massive resistance issues (failures) in the new France world today. I couldn't push 25 watts and when I finally got the trainer rolling it dropped out all together. This occurred on both trainers and on my macbook and apple tv. 2 trainers, 2 different devices. FWIW my neo had no issues whatsoever. Has anyone else recently had this kickr issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
Does anyone know why Zwift doesn’t pull through the full Garmin stats? Like aerobic and anaerobic effort etc.

Also, here in NZ we have an app called Vitality which pulls through workouts from Garmin but won’t pull through a workout that Zwift has pushed to Garmin.

Ideas?
No one?

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [superlight1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
superlight1 wrote:
Both my kickr and kickr snap has massive resistance issues (failures) in the new France world today. I couldn't push 25 watts and when I finally got the trainer rolling it dropped out all together. This occurred on both trainers and on my macbook and apple tv. 2 trainers, 2 different devices. FWIW my neo had no issues whatsoever. Has anyone else recently had this kickr issue?

I had no simulated grade for one zwift session after last update but was then back to normal. Also joined a training group session late and my intervals were out of sync with group by 5 minutes as I was 5 minutes late. For one session also found I was zooming past some people despite much lower watts per kg and vice versa.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been going through a bit of a thing with zwift and my Hammer for my son, who is 9. I put his road bike on a few times but we get a lot of power/cadence dropouts. I was thinking for a bit it was a bluetooth/ant+ issue, but I don't have any issues when I'm using TR with the same macbook. Anyhow, I think since his power is around 50w and below, it might be a little too low so it'll read power for a few then drop to zero. My wahoo blue SC sensor is broken so I order some new sensors and he can go on the fluid trainer, he's not quite ready to use the smart trainer, plus he's 9 so power accuracy isn't important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift newbie - what's up with the ride ons? How do you give one to another rider? Is there "ride on" etiquette? TIA

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is this making the Yahoo article for a Slowtwitch forum topic?

Zwift C isn't THAT hard. I'm a 4/5 and B feels about right for me. And 5w/kg isn't pie, but it isn't THAT much either.

https://www.yahoo.com/...-road-205400224.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

Zwift C isn't THAT hard. I'm a 4/5 and B feels about right for me. And 5w/kg isn't pie, but it isn't THAT much either.

i don't know who that is. mass start racing is hard for good time trialists who haven't figure out the tactics. Zwift racing is hard for good bike racers who haven't figured out the tactics. whine less. race more. learn. that's all good bike racers have to do.

except that good bike racers - at the highest level - have teams to protect them, and you don't have that luxury on zwift. it's just you. it's hard for a team to protect you in zwift. bummer for you, if that's you. whine less. race more. learn.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be for anyone.......Google helped me mostly last night upload a disconnected ride to Strava and TP.

However, it's a ride in a training plan on Zwift. Is there a way for Zwift to recognize the workout in the training plan as done? Or do I have to hit "skip" for that workout in the list?

I got literally to within 30 seconds during the last rep of the last set when the laptop died.

I assume it's just dead and gone in Zwift land.

I wish they could have a feature for workouts at least where it knows what step in the workout you made it to, and leaves a "marker" there if it disconnects. Then when you reconnect, it asks you "start at saved location?".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

I did a Crit City race a couple of days ago, finished 8th out of 14 in the "C"s. 3.1 w/kg (I'm too heavy...) C's is supposed to be 2.5 to 3.1 w/kg

the 7 guys who finished ahead of me (I assume they're guys) were: 3.8, 3.4, 3.4, 3.9, 4.0, 4.2, and 3.2. It was a 24 min race, so I can see people being a bit over that 3.1 w/kg upper bound, but 3.8+ is a little ridiculous.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

I did a Crit City race a couple of days ago, finished 8th out of 14 in the "C"s. 3.1 w/kg (I'm too heavy...) C's is supposed to be 2.5 to 3.1 w/kg

the 7 guys who finished ahead of me (I assume they're guys) were: 3.8, 3.4, 3.4, 3.9, 4.0, 4.2, and 3.2. It was a 24 min race, so I can see people being a bit over that 3.1 w/kg upper bound, but 3.8+ is a little ridiculous.

i have never been in a C event where 2.5w/kg was even remotely adhered to, but that's usually over 45min to an hour. well, you can adhere to it, but you won't be around long. i think 2.5 is mid-front D. i think zwift has aced itself out of a large group of folks by having E be structured training. there needs to be a slower-than-D group.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next