Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like a legit time trial. In Zwift, that could mean:

- ~20km or ~30 minutes this time of year, monthly perhaps, occasional 40km races
- no drafting
- mix up the course - sometimes flat, sometimes not
- Everyone starts together, but...
- No one can see each other (you're alone in the world for the duration of the race)
- The leader board shows how far off the fastest rider you are

Just a thought...

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Munq E. Wrench] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So there are a couple race series in zwift that hold time trials. They tend to not be highly attended, though maybe a slowtwitch one would change that?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
So there are a couple race series in zwift that hold time trials. They tend to not be highly attended, though maybe a slowtwitch one would change that?

How do I find them? Just curious. As far as I can tell, I can't search for "Time Trial" or "TT" or anything at all. I can filter for cycling races and then scroll through an endless list. Is there a more elegant way?

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Munq E. Wrench] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, there's no good way to filter for them. I like to look on Zwiftpower for events as opposed to the companion app. I just use the companion app to sign up for them.

Here's a couple that I found this morning:
https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=152011 (there are a couple different time slots for that one)

https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=132371 (the norseman winter series is actually well attended. A LOT of climbing though. It's not necessarily advertised as a TT, but draft is turned off, so it essentially is)

https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=153879 (also has multiple time slots)

https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=154451

https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=154536

If you look, you can find others. SZR puts on a couple, so you could always search for them.

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:
Is there a way to see the route for a workout? For example, a few weeks ago the Hilly Vanilli did several laps on a course in Central Park, and then hit a climb on the Sky Loop, which I did not see coming.

If you go to the event on zwiftpower you can see the course profile ahead of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's either I'm doing it wrong or I'm way way way under trained or i'm not in the right group.
I'm at Cat C (based on w/kg, just barely at the top end of C)

the races / events (I attended 2) was way harder than I expected for 30mins ride. It was like dropping the hammer at 140% FTP from the get-go. Ended up you either cycle alone or just hang by the last peloton/group.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All races start fast, especially if you did a mass start, which most races are. If you do a race where the Cats start separately, they'll still go out hard, but you'll find they seem to settle down faster, as everyone is of similar abilities.

For a mass start races, it somewhat depends on the course, but you'll need to hold around 500 watts+ for the first 10 seconds or so, and 350-400 for the next 20secs or so. Then it starts to settle down a bit, though if you have some A's pushing hard it could string out a bit. (this is especially true on flat courses. On hilly courses the stronger riders will sometimes wait for the first climb to split the pack).

As a C you will almost assuredly get dropped from the lead pack in a mass start at some point (otherwise you wouldn't be a C). The general idea in a mass start is to go out hard, then as you get dropped try to hold the fastest pack you can. For a C, especially a stronger C, you'll probably end up in a mixed pack of B's and C's. At this point you want to do everything you can to stay with this pack.

Obviously all of this is somewhat race and course dependent, but this is the general pattern most races seem to follow. Just remember on the fast start, while you may be hurting, so is everyone else, and it will settle down shortly, try to force your self to hold the wheels in front of you. You'll get a better sense of start dynamics the more you race.
Last edited by: MRid: Feb 18, 19 7:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The starts can be absolutely batshit insane.

I went Zwift racing yesterday afternoon for the KISS Choice race. 6 laps with the B's. The first two minutes I averaged 385 watts and still missed the group. I probably needed to hang on for another 15 seconds but I just couldn't quite make the bridge up. I also made two mistakes: 1.) not starting the race with a power-up in reserve, and 2.) using the one power-up I got during the race too early in the final mile. Oh well. Live and learn.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, finally put the argon on the kickr...would say that's even my first proper ride on it.

I'm out of shape, a 30 minute workout kicked my ass.

So, I connected my zwift account to both Garmin connect and Strava...how long does it take to sync?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about Garmin, but my Zwift ride/runs sync to strava almost instantly upon completion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I connected it after the ride, still hasn't uploaded to Strava. Guessing it will next ride?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to solve the 4 second delay?

So, I have a KICKR Snap running ANT+ to my reasonably quick laptop which is connected to my network over copper and I have a 50 Mbps internet circuit.

Whatever i do with my legs takes my avatar about 4 seconds to react to. None of the in-game settings make any difference. This makes drafting a bit hit and miss and you lose some spontaneity in making moves.

Is this just my system, or is this a constraint of the game and there is no way around it?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard other people complain about this as well. I've never experienced it, I'm using PowerTap P1's for my power source. My avatar reacts instantly. It may be that it's device specific, I'm not sure. I haven't gathered if all the people who claim to have experienced this are using the same trainer or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 90% certain it has to do with the ANT+ connection. I run Zwift on an old Windows 7 laptop but with a wired CompuTrainer, and it's damn near instantaneous (so long as the graphics don't lag).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry, asked this before but didn't see a response:

HOW TO FIND LENGTH OF RACE

How come some of the races and group rides that i'm considering racing don't have the length in the detail? Is there a way to find this out? I find it hard to believe that people will join a race/ride without knowing how long it is. Although maybe most people are way more familiar with the routes than I am, so if the race says 4 loops of ______, people just inherently know it's 36km.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueQuintana wrote:
sorry, asked this before but didn't see a response:

HOW TO FIND LENGTH OF RACE

How come some of the races and group rides that i'm considering racing don't have the length in the detail? Is there a way to find this out? I find it hard to believe that people will join a race/ride without knowing how long it is. Although maybe most people are way more familiar with the routes than I am, so if the race says 4 loops of ______, people just inherently know it's 36km.

I have found that quote annoying as well. The only work around I have been able to do is see what is the Loop or Route name and then look at the details in ZwiftInsider - example: https://zwiftinsider.com/watopia-flat-route/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The easiest answer is ZwiftPower, they display the length of events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
....what is Zwift Power? I know i should probably know but i'm confused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I've done two 30 minute structured workouts and they kicked my ass. Granted I haven't been on the bike in a hot minute...but I'd say Zwift training is insane.

What are normal routes like? How can zwift either add cities or add routes per se?

ETA: did a regular London route for 40 minutes today, it was still a butt kicker...but not a ball kicker. I think I'll stay away from structured workouts for a bit.

I'd only done two zwift rides before last week and didn't like the limited graphics package in the program...but I have to tell you, overall I'm pretty pleased. Now, how does one build a ride to mirror a course?

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Feb 26, 19 7:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So, I've done two 30 minute structured workouts and they kicked my ass. Granted I haven't been on the bike in a hot minute...but I'd say Zwift training is insane.

What are normal routes like? How can zwift either add cities or add routes per se?

ETA: did a regular London route for 40 minutes today, it was still a butt kicker...but not a ball kicker. I think I'll stay away from structured workouts for a bit.

I'd only done two zwift rides before last week and didn't like the limited graphics package in the program...but I have to tell you, overall I'm pretty pleased. Now, how does one build a ride to mirror a course?

I haven't done it, but if you find a .gpx file for the course you want, you can create a custom workout and import it that way. I'm sure there is lots more info in the zwift forums.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Zwifts decision to leverage Norseman’s brand is brilliant. Only a matter of time until Zwift (or Garmin) partner with Ironman to fully transform the online experience. - In my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Mike J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One question and a request...

1. Is there a way to choose where to start on a course? For example, sometimes I have a hill workout and would love to do it on the Alpe du Zwift but I don't have time to ride to the bottom of the climb. Can I jump to that spot somehow?

2. Could we please have longer "Rider's Choice" rides? I often have a long workout with a series of zone targets within the ride. It is hard to set up the custom program when the watts will vary so much. I would have to have an open time Rider's Choice option.

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s the warranty on our Zwift ST kits? I came upon a fellow Slowrwitcher today riding Alpe du Zwift that unfortunately seems to have split the seam of their bib shorts.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
What’s the warranty on our Zwift ST kits? I came upon a fellow Slowrwitcher today riding Alpe du Zwift that unfortunately seems to have split the seam of their bib shorts.

Cheers,

they're warranted to last until level 12. after that you're on your own. you guys also chose the same socks?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next