Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
jhammond wrote:
I'd like to get started with Zwift, but I'd rather not buy an Apple TV since I won't use it for anything else. What's the best way to get Zwift to my TV?

maybe you're way ahead of me here, but just to make sure, do you know what an appletv is? it's just a small box, maybe 4"x4"x2". it's a computer. what you'd need is an appletv 4k. it's $179. i think it's kind of badly named. you'd need to hook it up to a monitor of some sort. TV set (which is what it's designed for) or a computer monitor. i've got, i think, 3 of these in current use with zwift loaded on them, and i'm getting one more today. it's by far the cheapest, easiest way to run zwift on a decent sized screen.

zwift, like any app or game, will run on whatever operating systems the designers choose. zwift runs in iOS, OSX, windows and android. so, it'll work on almost any handheld device, tablet, or computer, except a kindle. plus, zwift will run on "appletv OS", which is great, because you really don't want to ride with zwift using a laptop or tablet if you don't have to. what you want is the biggest TV screen you can get.

now, the appletv 4k is also badly named because it's not really ultra 4k. i've got a pretty good gaming rig, a windows, and THAT is ultra 4k. you don't get quite the depth perception and the colors on an appletv that you get with a gaming computer. but that appletv 4k runs zwift pretty nicely.

what you need to get a pretty nice pain cave set up going is an appletv 4k, a repurposed tv or monitor, an hdmi cable and if you buy one i'd err on the side of a couple of feet longer than you think you'd need, and you're going to have to prop up that TV on something. rule of thumb is, if it's for running you'll want it high, so you can see over your treadmill. if it's for cycling you'll want it lower, with the bottom of the TV not more than about 20" off the ground, and you'll need to tilt that TV so that it's angled up, so that you're looking square at it when you're riding. if you buy a TV stand for this, make sure it's got that tilt capacity.

then, you have to have a smart trainer if you want to get the full benefit. that's by far the largest expense, because if you buy it new these will start at about $750 or $800. and a bike.

This ^
Cheapest way is to just download the Zwift app to your phone and get a cable to mirror your phone to a TV.
iphone cable is a lightning to hdmi (which is ~$50 adapter).

This works fine (I did this for 2 years), but ran into some battery issues where my phone could last at max 90 minutes if I started with battery at 100%. I switched to using Apple TV and glad I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gee, this is kinda like going to confession, let me start by saying forgive me Dan for I have......

Reasons for me not using my Computrainer for Zwift.

• Just paid 800 for the Bushido, need to get my money's worth out of this thing.
  • Marital harmony, I use the CT whilst my wife is on Zwift.
  • Ignorance and sloth (Cardinal sins?) - FTDI USB to stereo adapter. I know about it, but am reluctant to use it. My CT computer runs Windows Vista. My Zwift is run on my Samsung phone. I suspect there would be some sort of compatibility headaches. Right now both work. A bird in the hand... even if that bird has a mangled wing, it can still sorta fly well enough.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [JStirfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JStirfry wrote:
If you have chromecast or a smart TV you could cast from a phone or a laptop.

I was doing that for awhile then gave up and bought the apple TV (only use it for zwift). I like the convenience of it always being ready to go.

Can you really chromecast from a phone? that would be great if I could, lots of times I don't really care about graphics quality and just want the workout up on the screen (I rarely use the companion app in-game). It can be a bit of a pain to connect the laptop to the HDMI, change the input, etc etc...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, Zwift says the calculated ftp from tests and in-game riding is for an hour. Applying a % to the efforts.

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/ftp-test-HypJnI_NH

Now, my question is.......true?

This came up in another thread and is more trainer/power meter related, but since we're in virtual world........how many people feel their Kickr Core reads high?

I'm doing workouts in Zwift with ftp set at 280 for my TT bike workouts. Ain't no way in God's green Earth I could do 280w right now for an hour on the TT bike.

But for that to be true, sticking with an assumed 2% drivetrain loss.....that means the combo of the Core high and Quarq low would be like 5%+. I thought the Core was supposed to be better than that?! Or the Quarq.

I feel it is the Core as my old Stages left only meter on the road bike also reads lower than the Core. Albeit lower still as it is a left only.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
A 2 - part question.

My Tacx Bushido under-reports wattage. Does that mean I am going slower, relative to my peers on Zwift and thus, make racing an exercise in futility?

Is there a remedy for this?

(I tested my Zwift wattage against my CT wattage for a very similar effort. Over 30 min. CT = 190 watts for 120 HR. Zwift 142 watts for 118 HR).

As a third measure, on my Powertap, my wattage/hr numbers are quite close to the CT.

Thnx.

I used a Bushido smart for a couple of year's and had no issue with it. I am pretty sure that mine used to over report power when compared to my Stages Power Meter. When I upgraded to a Flux it under reported slightly compared to the Stages PM

With the Bushido, I had issues if the tension was too high, it typically read more accurately when tension was set close to minimum level, however, the tire had a tendancy to slip on big clibs. Also important to calibrate after the tire has had time to warm up, as it gets warmer, pressure increases and tension increases

Another tip for riding Bushido on Zwift, is to set the difficulty level on Zwift to 50% of less, this means that a 10% is transmitted to the trainer as a 5% climb, but speed is adjusted according to your power, this will help with tire slip

The Bushido is very tire sensitive, I had a tacx Turbo Tire and it was awful, I found that a worn out Specialized S-Works tire worked really well
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Gee, this is kinda like going to confession, let me start by saying forgive me Dan for I have......

• Just paid 800 for the Bushido, need to get my money's worth out of this thing.
  • Ignorance and sloth (Cardinal sins?) - FTDI USB to stereo adapter. I know about it, but am reluctant to use it. My CT computer runs Windows Vista. My Zwift is run on my Samsung phone. I suspect there would be some sort of compatibility headaches. Right now both work. A bird in the hand... even if that bird has a mangled wing, it can still sorta fly well enough.

I might have already asked, but is there a reason you can't use your PT hub as the power source on Zwift? Then Zwift will be getting accurate numbers, the Bushido will just be following along to the terrain / resistance targets.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

I might have already asked, but is there a reason you can't use your PT hub as the power source on Zwift? Then Zwift will be getting accurate numbers, the Bushido will just be following along to the terrain / resistance targets.

You can use PT Hub or any other power meter as power source on Zwift

Most of the top racers use an external power meter as power source as they are more accurate and respond faster than the PM in the trainer. Most also record their trainer power using Garmin or Wahoo etc in case they are asked to provide evidence.... but this is only relevant in specific races where they stipulate use a of a secondary set of power data
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

You can use PT Hub or any other power meter as power source on Zwift

Most of the top racers use an external power meter as power source as they are more accurate and respond faster than the PM in the trainer. Most also record their trainer power using Garmin or Wahoo etc in case they are asked to provide evidence.... but this is only relevant in specific races where they stipulate use a of a secondary set of power data

I'm not sure if hydrosloth has an old wired PT, which would preclude it's use on Zwift, or if it's ANT+ only while his phone is BT only.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JStirfry wrote:

I was doing that for awhile then gave up and bought the apple TV (only use it for zwift). I like the convenience of it always being ready to go.

Can you really chromecast from a phone? that would be great if I could, lots of times I don't really care about graphics quality and just want the workout up on the screen (I rarely use the companion app in-game). It can be a bit of a pain to connect the laptop to the HDMI, change the input, etc etc...

Yes, you can. Works well enough in my experience. Will be very battery intensive, so have a charger.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are on a roll here.
Some excellent advices.
I will try them all.
Thank you.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JStirfry wrote:

Yes, you can. Works well enough in my experience. Will be very battery intensive, so have a charger.

How? I don't see the chromecast icon when I open Zwift. What am I doing wrong?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should have a "Screencast" icon when you swipe down to access your quick settings panel (I'm assuming you have an android phone).

If the screencast option isn't there tap the pencil icon in the lower left corner of the quicksetting panel and you should be able to add it.

Sorry, I suppose I should clarify, this method isn't like your typical casting (where the app has the chormecast button baked in). You are literally just casting/mirroring the phone screen to the chromecast.

I use this as well to give live video for position adjustment on the bike (turn video camera on and mirror/cast).
Last edited by: JStirfry: Jan 20, 21 11:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JStirfry wrote:
You should have a "Screencast" icon when you swipe down to access your quick settings panel (I'm assuming you have an android phone).

If the screencast option isn't there tap the pencil icon in the lower left corner of the quicksetting panel and you should be able to add it.

Sorry, I suppose I should clarify, this method isn't like your typical casting (where the app has the chormecast button baked in). You are literally just casting/mirroring the phone screen to the chromecast.

I use this as well to give live video for position adjustment on the bike (turn video camera on and mirror/cast).

I'm on an iPhone. that's probably why I can't do it. I'll most likely just wind up getting an Apple TV..... eventually.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 20, 21 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I swipe down from the upper right corner to the bottom left corner on my iPhone, there is an icon for "Screen Mirroring". That is how I cast to my tv. Do you not have that icon? This is on an iPhone X.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:
If I swipe down from the upper right corner to the bottom left corner on my iPhone, there is an icon for "Screen Mirroring". That is how I cast to my tv. Do you not have that icon? This is on an iPhone X.

Ah, it works!!! Thanks! iPhone xR here.

I've tried to do that with my Chromecast before (with other apps). The Chromecast device doesn't appear, but my Roku Smart TV does come up. Learn something new every day....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that didn't work. I went into settings. No place to adjust difficulty.

When I go into power estimation mode. It says speed sensor not detected. So I can not choose between classic and z power.

My bike with the powertap is getting frame repaired, so any other suggestions? Thnx.

A couple of (to me) interesting observations from last nights test sessions. Two rides of about 20 minutes each, all done with 2 VERY different tensions on the tyre. 1st test: 121 watts on 116 HR. 2nd test: 138 watts on 122 HR. (for comparison, on my Computrainer the previous night my 30 minute normalized power was 190 watts for 120 HR).

Last edited by: Hydrosloth: Jan 21, 21 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:

I tried actually riding with it in screen mirroring mode, and it technically worked, I guess, but the quality was so bad it was unusable. Not just the graphics, but the powe numbers seemed slow to respond. I wound up just using my laptop instead.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. I’m mirroring to an LG 4K with no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a way to change one's spawn point? I have been running a lot on Zwift for the 100/100 and would like to explore some of the longer courses.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can select a different route (or say Surprise Me) to change your spawn point. And you also have the option to follow a friend or one of the new pace setters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess this is technically a ZwiftPower question but I'll ask anyways...is there a way to tell which of the three 20 min performances count toward your minimum category?

i.e. why aren't they highlighted?

Thanks.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a way to move from item to item during a Zwift structured workout where an iPad is your screen and controlling device?
Say moving from rest period to next effort sooner? Or even going backwards?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For workouts you can swipe/drag the interval to the right (at least on the companion app/android phone/ apple tv) to skip the rest period (or interval). I'm assuming the iPad works the same way.

I have not found a way to go back an interval though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks- I will try that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So this is a tell me anything as opposed to an ask, but....

I've been using Zwift for the best part of a year and focusing on crit racing /training plan and as a result have boosted my 20 min power from c.350W to a personal best last week of 408W (387 FTP).

Testament to the effectiveness of Zwift and well worth the money.

(Note: Tacx Flux 2, Canyon Aeroad, I'm heavy)
Quote Reply

Prev Next