Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, 6!
I even bbq’d without an IPA.
Small victories!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday was hard. I had one of those days at work with boring, gruesome paperwork then more paperwork and then a side of paperwork. It was funny because a) it was actually hard during the day and b) once I got home I was fine.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was piece on Morning Edition of NPR (Hey, spotted the libtard!) yesterday about No Alcohol January. The woman they interviewed said that she was going to use the month to improve her triathlon--and they mentioned that she was "competitive"

I thought that was pretty darn cool.

I went 10 days dry for Christmas, partially because I needed all of the "filter" I could muster to be around my BIL and not say something stupid. Right now I'm working on a reduced consumption and need to continue to improve this portion of my life.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Per] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per wrote:
There was piece on Morning Edition of NPR (Hey, spotted the libtard!) yesterday about No Alcohol January. The woman they interviewed said that she was going to use the month to improve her triathlon--and they mentioned that she was "competitive"

I thought that was pretty darn cool.

I went 10 days dry for Christmas, partially because I needed all of the "filter" I could muster to be around my BIL and not say something stupid. Right now I'm working on a reduced consumption and need to continue to improve this portion of my life.

Thank you.

I feel entirely seen.

Wasn't me ;) Although, I DID work at the UofR for many years...

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, newbie here, can I join in 'No alcohol January', starting from today?!
I don't drink a lot, mainly red wine after work, before tea etc. but it's gradually crept up from 1 glass of red wine, to 1 glass of wine plus a small glass of port, and last night was a fair sized glass of port!
Now this may not seem a lot, but it's got to the stage where it's nearly all I think about, I generally work my life around allowing me to drink after work, or around late afternoon at weekends and holidays.
I don't tend to drink alcohol after training, so I make sure I fit my training in earlier in the day to accommodate my drinking. I'm not really a morning person, so training early before work sucks at times, especially now it's winter.
I can't remember the last day I haven't had a drink. I'm hoping to break the hold those few drinks have on my life right now. Today(7th) will hopefully be the first of many alcohol free days.
Many thanks
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Proby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not doing "January". I picked a goal I think I can do that will reach a more sustainable equilibrium overall for me personally.

I've chosen to keep a tally, literally on paper with a red pen, of how many days I can accumulate in 2020 without having any. Goal is 180 days. Idea is to treat it as a treat, not just something you do once the kids are in bed and you're watching Netflix with the wife.

And no "saving up" for the other days. The other days are same volume or less than before.

I think 180 days on the tally chart is totally doable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:

I feel entirely seen.

Wasn't me ;) Although, I DID work at the UofR for many years...

Curious - "UofR" = ??

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
University of Rochester in upstate NY maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
University of Rochester in upstate NY maybe?

Ding ding ding.

She was pretty spot on with the assessment of life there. Winters up there are pretty grim. Not a ton of snow but very gray and cold, and people all take refuge in the bars. I used to live even FURTHER north in NY (30min south of the St. Lawrence) and for a town of 1200, we had 7 bars, which was a bit overkill but when it's -30 out there's not much else to do.

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. I was thinking maybe University of Richmond. I'm a Spider (RC '89) and thought maybe I'd found another out there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figured it had to be either Rochester or Richmond. BTW - I'm on board for dry Jan. Definitely needed to dry out after December! My version includes 2 'exception days' - one of which, I plan to cash in on 1/13 for the championship game. So far, EZPZ!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Winters up there are pretty grim. Not a ton of snow but very gray and cold, and people all take refuge in the bars.

When I worked at Campbell's our VP came from Kodak, and the first year he was there he sent us up there 3 or 4 times to observe their "Best Practices" to incorporate at The Soup

I don't think I saw one clear, sunny day up there

I do remember a very nice restaurant near the water in an old brownstone or loft or something --- might've been a mill way long ago, perhaps?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Winters up there are pretty grim. Not a ton of snow but very gray and cold, and people all take refuge in the bars.

I do remember a very nice restaurant near the water in an old brownstone or loft or something --- might've been a mill way long ago, perhaps?

Richardson's Canal House?

I bet you it wasn't the Elmwood Inn or Jeremiah's Tavern, haha.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
[Richardson's Canal House?

I bet you it wasn't the Elmwood Inn or Jeremiah's Tavern, haha.

Nah, it was "downtown" - such as downtown Rochester is ... it might've been this place; or some iteration of it, from years ago

https://www.panevinoontheriver175.com/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [charlie1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
been doing Alcohol experiment for last bit its quite good at helping you assess your relationship with booze and makes 30 days go faster while learning a bit about yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I'm not doing "January". I picked a goal I think I can do that will reach a more sustainable equilibrium overall for me personally.

I've chosen to keep a tally, literally on paper with a red pen, of how many days I can accumulate in 2020 without having any. Goal is 180 days. Idea is to treat it as a treat, not just something you do once the kids are in bed and you're watching Netflix with the wife.

And no "saving up" for the other days. The other days are same volume or less than before.

I think 180 days on the tally chart is totally doable.

Interesting take, I like that! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Trimeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trimeon wrote:
been doing Alcohol experiment for last bit its quite good at helping you assess your relationship with booze and makes 30 days go faster while learning a bit about yourself.

I'm also not doing sober January because I think I should be drinking less. I'm trying a month of sobriety to reset my tolerance for alcohol. Lets call it a taper for the Superbowl Party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
End of week one! Whoop whoop! Congrats to making it just over 22% of the way there!

Today was pretty easy. Alcohol usage is definitely a situational for me. Today’s long run, followed by pretty wafting snowflakes shutting down the DC metro area made me whine just a bit at this dry month because my bottles of single barrel are collecting dust instead of being cracked open to have our on the porch under a wool blanket. The feeling passed pretty quickly about a couple of hours ago, when I started getting jazzed for another night of good sleep. Here’s hoping tomorrow’s long day capped with a booze-heavy social event goes smoothly.

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Proby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Proby wrote:
Hi, newbie here, can I join in 'No alcohol January', starting from today?!
I don't drink a lot, mainly red wine after work, before tea etc. but it's gradually crept up from 1 glass of red wine, to 1 glass of wine plus a small glass of port, and last night was a fair sized glass of port!
Now this may not seem a lot, but it's got to the stage where it's nearly all I think about, I generally work my life around allowing me to drink after work, or around late afternoon at weekends and holidays.
I don't tend to drink alcohol after training, so I make sure I fit my training in earlier in the day to accommodate my drinking. I'm not really a morning person, so training early before work sucks at times, especially now it's winter.
I can't remember the last day I haven't had a drink. I'm hoping to break the hold those few drinks have on my life right now. Today(7th) will hopefully be the first of many alcohol free days.
Many thanks

Of course. For various reasons I started on the 7th so it will be nice to have someone else hanging around for an extra week. Actually, my plan is to shoot for 60 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hadn't replied on the thread yet, but I'm in this year. Tempted today to get a bottle of wine, but held back.

One week in, and feeling good. Sleeping better, resting heart rate down, and going well so far.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [dcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

Of course. For various reasons I started on the 7th so it will be nice to have someone else hanging around for an extra week. Actually, my plan is to shoot for 60 days.[/quote]
Just through my first day, all good. Went home after work and got changed and went straight on the turbo trainer for a short spin. This is the time I normally drink, but found it pretty easy in the end.
All day at work, whenever I thought of a drink, I purposely thought of doing a turbo session instead. By the time I got home I was itching to get on the bike! Hope it continues.
Well done everyone on your successes so far.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 4 for me so far... feeling really positive. Cravings have pretty much gone (until this weekend I suppose) but I have already dropped a couple of pounds, am sleeping like a baby and feeling strong for my morning workouts which is great.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bifff wrote:
Trimeon wrote:

I'm also not doing sober January because I think I should be drinking less. I'm trying a month of sobriety to reset my tolerance for alcohol. Lets call it a taper for the Superbowl Party.

I do a sober 6-7 weeks a couple times/yr. I started 12/14 and plan to carry this one through 1/31. Unfortunately, I'm pretty binary with alcohol - it's either Yes or No, and Yes means one turns to ten real quick. Taking several breaks throughout the year prevents me from building a tolerance that will allow me to really do damage to myself and keeps the ten to maybe 4 to 6. Also don't drink at all from Sunday through Thursday of any week to try and help with this also.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they wake up in the morning that as good as they are going to feel all day"

-W.C. Fields
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, this seems like a much better goal for me as well. I like that plan. Also, I think it will in general keep my overall consumption for the year down. Especially since my biggest negative on alcohol is useless calories I could probably cut more weight overall than just giving up 30 days in January. Count me in for this and I can count 6 tallies so far for the year.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply

Prev Next