Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [crayzeee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crayzeee wrote:
Thanks for the code, ordered some. Hopefully it is good, since most of the NA beers I tried so far is crap :(

Try Lagunitas Hoppy Refresher. It's a hoppy seltzer, 0 carb, 0 alcohol and 0 calories. Tastes like a really light IPA...way better than N/A beers IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had social distanced my relationship with alcohol pretty well until social distancing became popular and everyone was doing it so we decided it wasn't worth social distancing anymore. Maybe when races resumes social distancing will happen again.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't so much anymore but that last couple months of SD the habit started creeping back up. Daily 2 beers in the evening while I chill out. Not a huge problem, but I always feel kind of shitty and can't sleep, and with the greater volume with all this free time its not ideal.
It seems I'm really only after a cold beverage that isn't water as ive been drinking it all day. I made the switch to soda haha, although trading 1 vice for the other I'm sure its still better than the boos. Might start brewing decaf ice tea instead

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reset on old post that may be even more important w/ the spike in alcohol consumption this year. I found I definitely wasn't immune as a triathlete. Tried to summarize struggles, some of the strategies I used and the various lessons learned through the process in this video. Hoping it's helpful to a few folks here:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another factor to consider from Marco Altini....

The impact of alcohol on heart rate variability, our ANS and the overall strength of our recovery systems.

Personally, I think our nervous system is under enough stress this year without throwing alcohol into the mix Smile

Alan Couzens, M.Sc. (Sports Science)
Exercise Physiologist/Coach
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Alan_Couzens
Web: https://alancouzens.com
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [Ironcoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drank a LOT more than I expected to between Nov 3-7

Back to normal, now

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't had any alcohol (or coffee) since New Year's Eve. Not an issue of addiction, just no interest in it.

Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched this yesterday - those of us do dry January were probably nodding along in agreement to a lot of it. I know that I have VERY strong food/wine associations so I try to make sure I cook new recipes that don't have the same associations.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very glad to hear. Thanks for saying so.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cassinonorth wrote:
Try Lagunitas Hoppy Refresher. It's a hoppy seltzer, 0 carb, 0 alcohol and 0 calories. Tastes like a really light IPA...way better than N/A beers IMO.
+ 1000 on the Lagunitas Hoppy Refresher

Super clean tasting, has the carbonation that makes it feel sort of substantial.

Another thing that is interesting to do - track your blood pressure over time. Alcohol typically increases blood pressure.
To appeal to the "measure everything" triathlete, BP is another metric that can demonstrate empirical results.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [WatchJoeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WatchJoeTri wrote:
Haven't had any alcohol (or coffee) since New Year's Eve. Not an issue of addiction, just no interest in it.

I would agree with this.

I used to be on a 1-beer per day pattern. Not unhealthy. But still a bit more "regular drinker" than I felt comfortable being.

After the "ST alcohol challenge" I switched to 1 beer per week. For a while I looked forward to that one.

Now I don't. I think it's been like 5-6 weeks I've just skipped it for lack of interest.

I'll still have a beer once in a while, I'm sure, but it's at a lifelong low-ebb in interest since before college.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [WatchJoeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WatchJoeTri wrote:

How did you kick the coffee habit ?
Luckily alcohol I can take or leave (usually leave as I do most training in the evenings and more want a glass of milk when I get back).

But coffee ? That would be properly hard to shake off.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
But coffee ? That would be properly hard to shake off.

I did that too. A couple months cold turkey. Headaches and lethargy for a couple of days. Then I was mostly fine.

I've gradually been introducing a *little* caffeine back into my life. The beauty of that is that it *works* again. One coffee per day at just the right time is really nice.

When you're on the 4-5 coffee/day trip (as I was), it no longer "works."
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The coffee thing was easy to kick cause I never really really started haha. Definitely have had less than 10 cups in my life (for reference I'm 35).

But since more people don't have to drive to work, I assume that makes it easier not to need coffee.

Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Back to normal, now
this
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [JAA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JAA wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Back to normal, now
this

Yes, I drank a lot too August 1-15th, but back to normal now not drinking hardly at all.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My relationship was going well down to one glass of red a week until I broke my toes tonight. So that relationship will likely change to a lot of Jack Daniels the next few days...
Last edited by: insulinpower: Nov 12, 20 19:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Back to normal, now
Quitter!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [insulinpower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been dealing with depression for 6 months. It is alot better but persistant anxiety in the mornings. The depression meds are a bitch causing prostate issues and constipation. An ounce of spirits in am seems to help alot and nearly less side effects.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Back to normal, now

My youngest brother called me on Christmas Eve [he called everyone, actually, one at a time]

He sent himself to rehab for alcoholism

The ironic things is that just a week before, when he, D'Kid & I, were at our other brother's house, watching my Mom [whose Alzheimer's has really ramped up over the past months, as my step-dad has been in the hospital frequently], Mare &I commented on the "wine cellar" they have

My youngest brother said to D'Kid "I hate wine. I hate hard liquor, too. I don't even like strong beer - like those craft beers your dad likes. I'm happy with just a Miller Lite"

The truth is, he was drinking a 6-pack or more of "just Miller Lite" every day

This caused my other brother & I to re-evaluate our own consumption [there's a fourth brother in our family - we're four boys - who said "a six-pack? that's not a problem"]

Dry January 2021 may be in the offering

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [Alan Couzens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I've drank more this year than any other in my life. The majority of that volume was whiskey. I'm having less volume with cider or a red wine variant. I see this event trend as more of a stress/frustration induced choice; not too worried about it though as the new DA build proceeds and I can return to a usual training routine. 2020 has been a rotten year which I would like to forget about.

Best wishes for 2021...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Get after it!

I did the 2019 version of this, and now have maybe one beer per month or so. Pretty happy with that.

I'll jump on again this go around, just because.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
January 2nd, 2021 will mark 13 years without a drop of alcohol for me. As I posted last year, my life is infinitely better without alcohol. There are tens of thousands of healthy ways to cope with stress, celebrate with friends, and relax that do not involve alcohol.

If alcohol simply did not exist in this world there would be a lot less tragedy and death. Alcohol has destroyed millions of lives.

Molecularly alcohol is poison. It's not medicine. Chemically alcohol is a pure toxin the body immediately works to eliminate. It's not supposed to be in the human body period.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Molecularly alcohol is poison. It's not medicine. Chemically alcohol is a pure toxin the body immediately works to eliminate. It's not supposed to be in the human body period. \\\

The problem with this is you could say it about every drug people take for mental stuff. Alcohol is not meant to make the body feel better, it is for the brain. It is how the human race has been self medicating since the first bread batch went sour. I think if we did look at it like "medicine", then we could get a much better handle on it with those that abuse it, and those that have real physical problems with it.

I cut down a couple years ago to one beer a night, maybe once a week or so. During the holidays I have gone just about every night, but just one beer. Feel like that is a good place to be, not burdening myself with total abstinence, and giving myself permission to have a beer once in awhile and stopping after one..I think a lot of folks could also do good with diets and food eliminating using this method, but what do I know...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Back to normal, now

My youngest brother called me on Christmas Eve [he called everyone, actually, one at a time]

He sent himself to rehab for alcoholism

The ironic things is that just a week before, when he, D'Kid & I, were at our other brother's house, watching my Mom [whose Alzheimer's has really ramped up over the past months, as my step-dad has been in the hospital frequently], Mare &I commented on the "wine cellar" they have

My youngest brother said to D'Kid "I hate wine. I hate hard liquor, too. I don't even like strong beer - like those craft beers your dad likes. I'm happy with just a Miller Lite"

The truth is, he was drinking a 6-pack or more of "just Miller Lite" every day

This caused my other brother & I to re-evaluate our own consumption [there's a fourth brother in our family - we're four boys - who said "a six-pack? that's not a problem"]

Good on him for taking that step.

-Signed,
An alcoholic in recovery ending another year sober.

2021 relationship will be the same. I will always guard myself against this. The disease doesn't go away, we just stay sober and grow in recovery.
Quote Reply

Prev Next