Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Today was hard. Long tough day at work, stressful drive home, and then sat in a very heated book club with my lush neighbors for several hours.

(since Jan 5 for me, waited til after the "holiday week")

One interesting thing for me is to observe how easily we find an excuse for alcohol: it was a stressful day, need a glass of wine. Or, it was a good day, need a glass of wine to celebrate. Monday Night Football is on, good reason to open a beer.

There's always a reason.

I then find that the less I do that, the less I want to do that (find a reason to drink). But it takes longer to get to that point than it does to go the other direction. Once I start again, it's easy to drink with regularity.

Also finding, which I had forgotten about, how I tend to go to bed earlier. Not just getting better sleep, but feeling like I want to go to bed earlier (which is a bit counter-intuitive).

Thanks for doing this thread -- interesting reading, and props to all.

Spot on!

Itā€™s both comforting and inspiring to have others share their views.

Thanks and I second the shoutout to the good Dr. C!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Nope, total myth. Thereā€™s still booze in your boozy food.

Interesting! Partial myth. Sounds like it does evaporate out, but large fractions can remain. Glad I learned that.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://cooking.stackexchange.com/...cooking-away-alcohol links out to a couple credible source (USDA, America's test kitchen) if you want more detailed figured (e.g., if you had some okay threshold for transient consumption). Worth reading the comments as they address a few points about calculating the final quantity left.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm out - had a beer last night. My doctor's office f'ed up my anxiety meds, I'd already worked out so that wasn't a great option, so I resorted to alcohol. Which is fine.

Carry on, y'all are doing great

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I'm out - had a beer last night. My doctor's office f'ed up my anxiety meds, I'd already worked out so that wasn't a great option, so I resorted to alcohol. Which is fine.

Carry on, y'all are doing great

Where can I send a flaming bag of poo to your Doctor's office? I'm sorry, that's just awful and should never have happened. You're still an absolute rockstar in my book. And you're more than welcome to jump back on the wagon that's moving at a 1/31 day/month pace :)

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need to be out, take a 5 day dispensation-- in case of force majure events such as this you can still continue on but you have to tack on 5 days at the end (so victory lap on Feb 5th).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy eleventh! We are firmly over a third of the way there, yay!

Another easy day for me. I slept the EFF in this morning. I really needed to catch up on the sleep my week robbed of me and thankfully I had some great Zs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello all

Also booze-free since the start of the year: had a bad year last year, got injured, got sick, had a bad time at work, put on a lot of weight and (like many here) got to the point where I couldn't remember the last time I'd not had a drink in the evening.

Am now training hard and watching my diet, and am planning to stay clean until I've lost 5 Kg... so its going be more than January for me. Well done everyone for making it this far and keep it up. Am hoping that ditching maybe three bottles of red wine a week will help me get the lard off, and also that I can reset my drinking habits from "every night" to "only occasionally".

Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a few years off triathlon, I remembered this thread out of nowhere. I signed back up to slowtwitch just to be part of this. I'm late to the party, but probably closer to the tip of the spear that needs to do this. I'll be starting today, although late.
Didn't there used to be a private FB group also?
Looking forward to getting back in triathlons this season, and healthy. Registered for a 70.3 and committed now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
Dr_Cupcake wrote:

Today was hard. Long tough day at work, stressful drive home, and then sat in a very heated book club with my lush neighbors for several hours.

(since Jan 5 for me, waited til after the "holiday week")

One interesting thing for me is to observe how easily we find an excuse for alcohol: it was a stressful day, need a glass of wine. Or, it was a good day, need a glass of wine to celebrate. Monday Night Football is on, good reason to open a beer.

There's always a reason.

I then find that the less I do that, the less I want to do that (find a reason to drink). But it takes longer to get to that point than it does to go the other direction. Once I start again, it's easy to drink with regularity.

Also finding, which I had forgotten about, how I tend to go to bed earlier. Not just getting better sleep, but feeling like I want to go to bed earlier (which is a bit counter-intuitive).

Thanks for doing this thread -- interesting reading, and props to all.

This sums me up really well.

So far so good. I do find myself drinking a lot of coffee after 8pm which is unusual for me, but I have such a bad coffee-habit that it doesn't keep me up.

It will be tough, today, getting through the Packers-Seahawks game without a couple, but its like you said about how it gets easier once you get the ball rolling. Now I just need to find the want to amp up the training that WI winters seem to just suck out of you.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [parrothead1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
parrothead1 wrote:
So far so good. I do find myself drinking a lot of coffee after 8pm which is unusual for me, but I have such a bad coffee-habit that it doesn't keep me up.

It will be tough, today, getting through the Packers-Seahawks game without a couple, but its like you said about how it gets easier once you get the ball rolling. Now I just need to find the want to amp up the training that WI winters seem to just suck out of you.

I've been drinking a lot of tea (green/ginger or decaf chai) in the evenings which has had the added bonus of keeping me more hydrated than normal.

I almost cracked last night. Did something yesterday (while working on bike) that resulted in sore/spasming side of neck and upper back, so was just trying to position on the heating pad ... playoff games on ... and some wine would have been nice ...

But I paused, paid attention to breathing, waited for that desire to pass. That is something I've picked up from starting to do yoga classes, about 2 months now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Football playoffs were too much pressure yesterday. šŸ˜

Last year I went alcohol free up to the Super Bowl. This year not so much.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 12, 20 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In since January 6th and second time I'm doing this. Like last time, I'm disappointed that two so-called friends have made snarky responses upon learning I was doing this. I certainly don't need their support or blessing to do this, but am surprised that they would belittle my attempts. Both friends, while having many good qualities, are functional alcoholics though.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See, this is where is comes in handy to cheer for a team that has no super bowl destiny ever again :D

Jump back in with us!

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m sorry theyā€™re being turds about this. Maybe itā€™s time to re-evaluate your friendship with them if they canā€™t be supportive of you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elvis Runner wrote:
In since January 6th and second time I'm doing this. Like last time, I'm disappointed that two so-called friends have made snarky responses upon learning I was doing this. I certainly don't need their support or blessing to do this, but am surprised that they would belittle my attempts. Both friends, while having many good qualities, are functional alcoholics though.

Iā€™ve done this for going on 6 years. Itā€™s starting to be more accepted as Drynuary becomes more common but I will say there is a lot of latent hostility, particularly from people who might potentially need a little breather and donā€™t like how this makes them self-reflect a bit on their own usage. I struggle a lot with my own consumption so for me itā€™s a good attempt to reset/re-balance each year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
See, this is where is comes in handy to cheer for a team that has no super bowl destiny ever again :D

Jump back in with us!

The reality is that I donā€™t drink much at all anyway. I donā€™t drink during the week beyond some rare occasion. Weekends might be 10-12 beers split between Friday-Sunday.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elvis Runner wrote:

Consider the possibility that they both know that they themselves should be doing something too and they are really being defensive. It's what I might have done myself if I was feeling guilty or concerned about my own behaviour... I'd like to think that now I'm older and a bit more self aware I'd no longer behave like that but I'm probably kidding myself.

Either way don't let them grind you down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
parrothead1 wrote:

I've been drinking a lot of tea (green/ginger or decaf chai) in the evenings which has had the added bonus of keeping me more hydrated than normal.

I almost cracked last night. Did something yesterday (while working on bike) that resulted in sore/spasming side of neck and upper back, so was just trying to position on the heating pad ... playoff games on ... and some wine would have been nice ...

But I paused, paid attention to breathing, waited for that desire to pass. That is something I've picked up from starting to do yoga classes, about 2 months now.

I tried the tea thing when I did this 2 years ago and I just didnt like the taste enough to go with it. Sparkling water did the trick pretty well...and, as you mentioned, you get the bonus of being well hydrated. For football today it will be a NA beer...didn't have time to look for any decent NA's so I bought whatever I could find at the grocery store. At least its not Bitburger...I remember that sucking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elvis Runner wrote:

I've never met an alcoholic that knows what true friendship means. Most substance abusers are so wrapped up in their addiction that everything and everyone comes second and sadly family (kids and spouses) and friends are usually the ones that aren't appreciated. It sounds horrible, but the alcoholics I've met are the most selfish people I've encountered. Most of these people are self destructive and those tendencies can project onto those closest to them. Do what is best for you and pay no attention to naysayers. I think what you're doing is great.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Jan 12, 20 16:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like doing a 'Dry January'! Doing it now and I love filling that desire for a glass of wine or beer in the evening with sparkling water or other drinks. Currently drinking a homemade watermelon lime slushie and it's way more refreshing and hydrating!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the twelfth day of dry January, my forum gave to meeee...

A full and easy day of dryness!

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Onto 13!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A great weekend indeed! And thatā€™s two down, two to go.

Mental battles becoming less frequent and easier to suppress.

Stay the course everyone. Weā€™re about to turn a corner!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [doingthethings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am still in. What a shitty year 2019 was. Ongoing back injury turned into nerve damage in my leg and debilitating pain. Might not ever compete again, but I am just trying to get healthy enough to do normal life stuff. Havenā€™t really run in 2 years. Naturally, I drank a ton.

So far so good in January. No booze. Had a trigger point shot in my back and felt good enough to knock out a 4 mile run yesterday in the snow. Down a few pounds. I am also definitely more ā€œpresentā€ for the wife and kids.

Honestly, staying away from booze makes the daily back pain a little more tolerable. But I was seriously craving an IPA after the run yesterday.

Thanks for this thread. Good to have support...
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I've chosen to keep a tally, literally on paper with a red pen, of how many days I can accumulate in 2020 without having any. Goal is 180 days. Idea is to treat it as a treat

I like that, too. I'm in. I am "doing January" (so far, so good), so that will give me a nice 31 day head start.
Quote Reply

Prev Next