Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

-Signed,
An alcoholic in recovery ending another year sober.

2021 relationship will be the same. I will always guard myself against this. The disease doesn't go away, we just stay sober and grow in recovery.

In AA, we learned that the monkey on your back just goes to sleep but never goes away. The trick it not to wake it up. That was one of the best things I got from AA. But after 5 years of meetings, and them telling me I had a character defect I needed to fix, I had had just about enough of that shit. I haven't been back. I've come to find out, that for me, addiction is a character TRAIT. As soon as I quit fighting it, and started channeling it into positive things, it becomes a super power. I channeled it into music, and spent a combined 19 years in two bands, before covid took our venues away. I channeled into my work, and made enough extra money to pay my house off in 4 years, and retire early. And of course I channel it into my athletics, and do OK as an age grouper in local races. I still live ODAAT, and Lord willing will go over 30 years sober next month. That's half my life! I know myself enough, to know that one beer, one shot, one glass, will wake up the monkey. I might blow it some day. But not today. I have too much to live for.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of congratulations, that is awesome. However one needs to get sober I fully support that.

I agree, don't wake that monkey up and don't go to sleep on it! I also agree that it truly is a superpower. I too have channeled it in to positive things. Music is one of them for me as well as others. I have no doubt I wouldn't excel at them if I was built differently.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Molecularly alcohol is poison. It's not medicine. Chemically alcohol is a pure toxin the body immediately works to eliminate. It's not supposed to be in the human body period. \\\

The problem with this is you could say it about every drug people take for mental stuff. Alcohol is not meant to make the body feel better, it is for the brain. It is how the human race has been self medicating since the first bread batch went sour. I think if we did look at it like "medicine", then we could get a much better handle on it with those that abuse it, and those that have real physical problems with it.

I cut down a couple years ago to one beer a night, maybe once a week or so. During the holidays I have gone just about every night, but just one beer. Feel like that is a good place to be, not burdening myself with total abstinence, and giving myself permission to have a beer once in awhile and stopping after one..I think a lot of folks could also do good with diets and food eliminating using this method, but what do I know...

It's dangerous to look at it as medicine because it's not. It's even worse cause it disguises itself as medicine because initially it takes away anxiety and leaves us feeling with a peace of mind. But it's a false peace of mind and over time you need more and more of it, and eventually it stops working but you still need it and your body needs to be detoxified.

My 12 year old daughter's best friend was run over and killed by a drunk driver. I can't express the damage that did to my daughter, our community and the family of the child killed. My biological father was an alcoholic and died and early death because all his organs failed. And I never knew him. Their are holistic methods, Easter and Western medicines new and old to relax and treat depression and anxiety. Alcohol should never be one of them.

There are a percentage of people that have an allergy to alcohol that creates a phenomenon of craving that leads to a mental obsession and eventual physical addiction. It's a progression that is very slow in some and faster in others. Sometimes it takes a life altering event like a loss of a loved one; loss of job; or a pandemic and that accelerates the progression and you suddenly find you cannot function without it.

If you're one of the normal people who can have one drink and put it down without issue. More power to you. My wife of almost 20 years has a drink or two once in a while -- and I'm fine with it cause she doesn't abuse it, she doesn't have the allergy, and she doesn't use it as a coping mechanism. And she can easily go months without it. IMO the world would be a much, much better place if it never existed.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont disagree with anything you have said, was merely pointing out that folks drink for the brain, not the body. Like you I have seen many people die from alcohol, and at best just screw up their lives. For many it is like crack and they cannot shake it as easily as you or I, or anyone else that just does not have the gene or proclivity to over indulge.

Yes like your wife I'm lucky in that I can turn it off and on at the flip of a switch. Don't need it, but enjoy the taste and the very minor buzz I get from my one beer on an empty stomach. I know others that is just the beginning to a long night, no illusions here about how bad and deadly it can be...
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I've started to wrangle myself. For a part of 2020 there were a few weeks I was drinking every day which was a new thing. There was a period of 6 weeks early with lockdowns where I didn't drink at all. I'd gone back to drinking on weekends for most of the summer. But there were weekends where I drank with the boys and also just ate like an asshole. Went to a few bourbon dinners etc. Well in November I stepped on the scale. My training had fallen off completely once Ironman Traverse City 70.3 was cancelled and then I deferred IMAZ to 2021.

So I saw this number and said. Well moderation doesn't work for me unless I'm really fit. And I'm not remotely fit right now. So from Mid November to Dec 26th I didn't drink but one day. Now starting January 2nd I'm probably going dry for all of January, maybe even February. But this isn't just in regards to Alcohol, but also sweets. No ice cream, no chocolate, etc. For me at least, going Cold Turkey on everything is the best way I can support my diet. And once I'm fit again, I'll enjoy a pour or a beer or a serving of ice cream on a weekend. And fit is at least 30 pounds away right now.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
September 27th marked four years sober for me. I'm very happy with the decision, my life has progressed so much. It was a little difficult at first because I work with alcohol everyday, but these days it's pretty easy to deal with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a questionable relationship with alcohol for a couple years now. COVID has caused that to become a bit more serious.

I’m looking forward to completing my first IM in Madison in 2021. I think a dry January, and hopefully a reset on my habits afterwards, will be beneficial.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am planning to do one as well and trying to get the Mrs to join.

Since March I have had at least a 1/2 bottle of wine every night. She is drinking vodka every night as well. I think that we both need to reset.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have multiple beers a day and more on the weekend but I rarely ever have a hangover. (1-2) times a year.

I haven’t gone more than a day or two without a drink since before I was 21.

I have a pretty good handle on it and I don’t drive so that’s not an issue. I drink plenty of fluids. I rarely find it negatively impacts my training and have some of my best workouts after a heavier night drinking.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [MiRoBu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MiRoBu wrote:

And you're what ... 22 now?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try athletic brewing. I gave up alcohol 2 years ago and had a few of Athletic Brewing NA and it is as good as the real thing or as close as you can get.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericallenboyd wrote:
Try athletic brewing. I gave up alcohol 2 years ago and had a few of Athletic Brewing NA and it is as good as the real thing or as close as you can get.
I very much doubt you've had classic Trappists if you are going to call something non-alcoholic 'the real thing'.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
MiRoBu wrote:

And you're what ... 22 now?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Now starting January 2nd I'm probably going dry for all of January, maybe even February. But this isn't just in regards to Alcohol, but also sweets. No ice cream, no chocolate, etc.

j/k. of course

Everyone's journey is different, and some people require more lubrication than others

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as dry january approaches we still got 4 bottles of red wine to empty and a number of beer bottles to clear,usually our relationship with alcohol is confined to winter months but as nothing happened race wise over summer so it was nice to sit out of a summers night with a cold beer or nice glass of red wine
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [stivrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had my annual check-up today and my primary didn't even ask about alcohol

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericallenboyd wrote:

This is like people eating Beyond Meat stuff. I don't understand it. If you want to give up alcohol, give it up. Drinking fake beer basically means you're still addicted to the taste of that stuff.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my last couple years of sobriety from alcohol, when struggling with other addictive patterns, I realized that I am a “high-seeker” - so in 2021 I am looking forward to another year of getting high on life!

Of course, a big generator of my daily life-highs come from triathlon training, and the seeking of those highs positively feeds hunger for performance and growth :)

To put a spin on an earlier comment, the monkey is always awake so I just keep feeding him things other than external substances!
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gratz on your sobriety. I quit drinking Jan 5th, 2020. Next week is my 1 year mark. I couldn't do it on my own. Had to swallow my pride and ask for help because I knew I was trying to drink myself to death.
Went to 5 week in-patient rehab in February and went I got out, the world was burning and everyone was struggling, but this year has been a massively huge improvement for my mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health. I've had to relearn what a non-intoxicating dopamine hit feels like and learn be happy with that.....rather than needing some artificial booster to grease the wheels of conversation and fun.

For me, life is much more manageable now. A lot less crazy. Less wild stories and near misses. But, much more stable and less fear, anxiety, regrets and depression.

Also, I lost around 40lbs, so I managed to get to down to a respectable race weight and actually look pretty good lycra, which is a bonus.
Last edited by: FasterTwitch: Dec 29, 20 17:27
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m a several years ahead of you and also not anonymous...so don’t usually talk about stuff like this but when Covid hit I just remember thinking that going through the process would have been 10x harder last winter than when I went through it initially a few years ago.

Serious kudos, not sure if I could have done it last year.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my last drink in 2005, previously I had put in a hard 10 year shift, im with out a doubt alcoholic!!

My Mother and youngest Brother both passed away this year from drinking, my Dad's been sober for 35 years, and yes I have the disease.

I never did the AA thing, found sobriety through God, and a pair of old running shoes that I decided to put to use after a cold spring day in 2005. Triathlon changed my life.

Anyone out there struggling with alcohol is not alone, alot of us struggle. There is a better life waiting for you, and I admire everyone that has struggled and found the way out. God bless!! I'm ready for 2021.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [M&M Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just love reading the past few responses. Kudos to you!

Just superb states of mind.

I’m very happy to read these comments.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we had to break up.. after the afib etc, doctor recommended quitting caffeine, alcohol, and strenuous exercise. All of my favorite drugs, gone in one fell swoop..
Did none of those for 3 months then started up real slow.
I do drink real coffee on the weekend mornings when not on call, figure the stress is a lot lower than in the work week. Also a glass of wine at dinner on weekends, for the mental health aspects. Skinny, sober and thinking too much, is no way to go through life..
The double Scotch isn't happening any more, sadly. As ever this abstinence produces no change in weight, sleep, athletic or mental performance. Mood is frankly worse with nothing in between me and the quotidian..
Last edited by: doug in co: Dec 29, 20 20:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
ericallenboyd wrote:

This is like people eating Beyond Meat stuff. I don't understand it. If you want to give up alcohol, give it up. Drinking fake beer basically means you're still addicted to the taste of that stuff.

That's a bit of a brutal come back.
Equating zero alcohol substitutes with an addiction is a bit superficial.
You don't get "addicted" to the "taste" of beer etc when you are an alcoholic. I see zero issues with people who enjoy the taste of beer etc but do not want to consume alcohol substituting it for something with zero alcohol in it. If it means they stay sober and avoid the issues associated with consuming alcohol then why is it an issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I want to enjoy that fermented/brewed rotten taste, a kombucha scratches the itch.
Also, here in Japan, a true top shelf barrel fermented soy sauce has complexity and boozy undertones that are like nothing else. It's alcohol free, but has a fermented hit and some notes you just don't get from the table stuff. I highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/...atives/dp/B005GQYXTC
Quote Reply

Prev Next