Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
My date with the Dr. (as noted in post #29) is tomorrow. The suckage level will be determined by the results.

Hope your test results are positive, good vibes!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday was fine, but weekend will be a rough one. We have friends bday on Saturday, then later I might go to a bar or Buffalo Wild Wings to watch ufc 246, then another party with above-average drinker friends on Sunday. It will be hard to resist temptation so wish me luck! Iā€™ll work hard on not drinking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D.O. wrote:
stillrollin wrote:
My date with the Dr. (as noted in post #29) is tomorrow. The suckage level will be determined by the results.

Hope your test results are positive, good vibes!

Thanks, unfortunately I didnā€™t get the results I wanted. It appears the cancer has retuned. Iā€™m scheduled for surgery and a biopsy in early February.

Fuck cancer.

Going for a run to clear my head but I plan on staying the course.

Fuck cancer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuck cancer, kick its ass
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 1-3 (usually craft) beer type, but have gone on streaks of 6 to 8 months dry typically ending in holiday season. This year a buddy and I both went dry to keep each other accountable. So far I feel pretty awesome and a sober friend recommended HopTea. There is alcohol and obviously not as good as beer but it has that great ipa hopped aroma. I've been taking them with me to parties and what not and find for me as long as I have a drink in my hand that reminds me of beer I don't really miss it, and feel so recovered the next day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not replying to you specifically but I found thru this process I enjoyed alcohol but could care less. Havenā€™t wanted it. Flipped the switch. Done.

HOWEVER... I am extremely addicted to sugar. Since Iā€™ve been more aware of addictive behavior Iā€™ve realized I canā€™t go a day without some special sweet.

So my alcohol streak will continue but my true focus is sugar.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [nekart14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nekart14 wrote:
Quote:
What I want to know is how much did you all drink before you stopped, I easily could finish a handle in 2 1/2 days of Vodka or Costco brand in 2 days. with only a slight buzz, these drinks when friends tried them called them Elephant tranquilizers.

Iā€™ve been a 2 to 3 beers a day guy for 10+ years. Rarely more than 4, except on a warm Saturday it might be a 12 pack of domestic cheap beer.

Although I almost never get drunk (been a few years at least) itā€™s crazy how Iā€™ve gotten used to going to bed with a bit of a buzz. Although Iā€™ll have a drink feb 1, Iā€™d like to think Iā€™ll be better about drinking after this. At least I hope so...

usually never during Sunday - Thursday, but would accrue on average ~8-12 drinks on Friday and Saturday combined. Usually no more than 6-7 a night but a few nights there were more, and I am trying to limit that.

For what its worth to anyone on this forum, here is my new year's resolution - maybe this system will be helpful for you - let me tell you what I am trying to manage to / my goals

1) Having a system in place is key - I'm very good with food - I stay away from stuff I shouldn't have because I have a system. Trying to do the same with booze - it has been getting better and better each year
2) sometimes events happen; weddings, bachelor parties, reunions - there is opportunity for more consumption - and thats OK.
3) Given #2, however, want to eliminate "random" evenings - ones where more than a few should NOT happen and probably happen because I'm BORED

so anyways - my 2020 system - manage to ~4 drinks / average a week, or 234 drinks a year. On a "big night", or an event, the maximum is 6 drinks. Also, I want to have 3 months of sobriety, but those 3 months must come at a minimum 21 day increments. I only have a drink ~80-100 days a year, so the overall number of "sober" days is high, its more about having that longer streak to really "bake in" the benefits.

anyways - if thats helpful, I'm happy, if not, no worries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that. Sending good thoughts your way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuck. Dude, that's not fair at all. I'm so sorry.

Keep kicking ass. You are strong and capable of destroying that motherfucker.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that man!

Stay strong, your going to kick cancer's ass.

Best wishes.

Fuck Cancer!!!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [dcomdcom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcomdcom wrote:
Sorry to hear that man!

Stay strong, your going to kick cancer's ass.

Best wishes.

Fuck Cancer!!!

Amen. Go crush it
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halfway!!!!!

Good discussion question.

When Iā€™m not doing dry January Iā€™m a social drinker. A beer or wine maybe 2 with friends and the occasional split bottle of wine with my husband.

If miami traffic is especially horrible maybe a glass of wine in the evening.

Last year, I did my first dry January and it surprised me how much I enjoyed it. I would never have thought that one glass of wine was impacting my mornings but it does.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all.

Shitty news for sure but itā€™s treatable. It probably wonā€™t kill me but Iā€™ll be dealing with it till something else does. Itā€™s my new normal.
Times like this though, I realize there are many who have it worse than I do. Especially with cancer.

It for sure isnā€™t gonna knock me off the wagon. Ill keep keeping on. After today weā€™ll have more days done than we have left. Itā€™s downhill from here people.
LETā€™S GO!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are so strong, itā€™s inspiring.

Whenever I have a dark moment for the rest of this month, Iā€™m going to think of you and HTFU and just keep going.

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHOOOOAAAAAAA WEā€™RE HALFWAY THERE

Happy halfway mark everyone! Itā€™s all downhill from here. I hope everyone has either created or tripped over their ā€œwhyā€ to put the wind in the sails and glide towards the end of this month.

Today was like a marathon, which I usually celebrate that finish line with a cold one. No cold one for me tonight, womp womp. Thankfully my mouth is feeling better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a great and balanced weekend everyone !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weā€™ve made it 17 whole days! Thatā€™s apparently the amount of time that any New Years resolutions wear off, so kudos for staying the course!

I didnā€™t post last night, I just crashed after another brutally long week. Still going strong though!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering šŸ˜

Onto our 3rd weekend! A 3 dayer for me and may get snowed in today. More challenges but thereā€™s no stopping us now.
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jan 18, 20 5:14
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miamiamy wrote:
Halfway!!!!!

Good discussion question.

When Iā€™m not doing dry January Iā€™m a social drinker. A beer or wine maybe 2 with friends and the occasional split bottle of wine with my husband.

If miami traffic is especially horrible maybe a glass of wine in the evening.

Last year, I did my first dry January and it surprised me how much I enjoyed it. I would never have thought that one glass of wine was impacting my mornings but it does.

John Mayer had an interesting quote in his Fix Interview a year or two ago:

Quote:
Not drinking ā€œfeels like boredom at first,ā€ he explained. But sticking with it will level everything out. ā€œYouā€™re like, ā€˜Oh, Iā€m not having these high highs.ā€™ But if you work, you can bring the whole line up.ā€

Coming up on 500 days next week personally, it definitely has leveled out. My emotions are super steady and mostly everything just rolls off my back. I also put myself in way less precarious situations these days it seems.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made it through the kid bday party last night. Kids were upstairs right next to the bar and I have to admit I looked at the liquor cabinet a few times and it was really tempting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the Worst Flu Ever for like 1.5 weeks, and was on all manner of OTC drugs (NSAID, suppressant, expectorant, etc), but used the no-alcohol NyQuil, and couldn't even think about having a beer.

I was going to hope this would elicit some sympathy, but then I read about the cancer dude, and realize, yeah, no, not going to happen, buttercup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really wanted a glass of wine tonight. A quality cab would do the trick. Honestly it wouldnā€™t have taken much convincing if my wife had pushed the issue. But, stayed strong. Tomorrow night is another weekend night for me, but I think I can, I think I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guysguysguys.

LESS THAN TWO WEEKS TO GO. YOUā€™VE GOT THIS!

Iā€™ve tapered for longer than that!

Bit of a struggle today. Long workout (ended with a brick run outside in the sleet), then home improvement project gone awry, then curling up in front of a fire. If that doesnā€™t scream bourbon then, sigh. Held it together with water and minimal whinging.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This week will be a test for me -- in Germany for a work meeting. Which means all the other work people will be drinking copious amounts of beer in the evenings.

Not sure which is the bigger test: passing on the beer, or making myself ride the stationary bike in the hotel "fitness room".
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
This week will be a test for me -- in Germany for a work meeting. Which means all the other work people will be drinking copious amounts of beer in the evenings.

Not sure which is the bigger test: passing on the beer, or making myself ride the stationary bike in the hotel "fitness room".

Haha. German hotel fitness rooms are tough. Good news is that you are pretty much the only one there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next