Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [nekart14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry 2019 was so rough for you. Let's burn our calendars together, mmkay?

Glad you're on the up and up so far this year!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying justify the 30 days without alcohol as part of the periodization cycle. We do it for the actual training why not do it for alcohol as well?
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [justlooking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just had a potential double whammy:
1) A friend I don't see often just invited me for some after work cocktails &
2) I got some GREAT, unexpected news at work.

1 was easy enough to pass on.
2 would ordinarily be reason to celebrate with a couple of IPA's. Interestingly, as I sit here now, that doesn't seem like the right reason to end my streak. It doesn't hurt that my wife doesn't drink so I'd be imbibing alone. Is that even a celebration?

As someone posted earlier, there is always a reason (to drink). I hope to remain steadfast tonight in the face of unexpected temptation.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can do it! Look at some shiny toys online instead :)

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy day thirteen! Not for the faint of triskadecaphobes, easy for us in the battle together.

Another easy day for me. Also a big revelation for physiology today- my constant craving of all things carbohydrate has dwindled down to “I’ll eat what I need as a bare macro minimum”. Been craving fresh veggies and fruits and lean proteins instead. I’ve been allowing myself 1oz of super dark (like 80%) chocolate as a dessert but don’t really feel like I need to supplement the lack of booze anymore. That’s a first in all the dry spells I’ve done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yum, chocolate! Good for you.

I made it! It’s those first 10 minutes after I walk in the door. But I shared my news with my family then settled in to my new normal weekday routine.

Steady as she goes.
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jan 14, 20 5:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work! It's so much easier with the more support surrounding you.

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
Gotcha. I was thinking maybe University of Richmond. I'm a Spider (RC '89) and thought maybe I'd found another out there.

RC '90 here, but I don't think I knew you! I kept a low profile, was GDI, lived mostly off campus, and was abroad in 88-89.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job to all of you! I'm a very light drinker ... I don't even know if I've had any alcohol in January. I used to have a few drinks a week, but I more or less stopped when my wife quit drinking.

Her experience: misery for the first six weeks or so, angry that she had stopped, and not at all understanding why some people are happy to have stopped. She felt bad physically and mentally. Then around six or eight weeks in, she started feeling really great, and it was like a light came on. She says it's one of the best things she's ever done.

So if you're trying dry January and think it sucks, consider a little more time. It does take some folks 6-8 weeks to get over the hump.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent! I figured there had to be a Spider or two around here. I was back on campus during homecoming weekend - place has changed a ton.

I did cash in one of my "exception" days for the big game last night and it happened to coincide with the release of Bell's HopSlam IPA. Back on the wagon now for the rest of Jan.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TWO WEEKS. DONE. BOOM. Getting ready to fire up that Bon Jovi song for later this week. Great work everyone! I hope today is easier that day one.

Late night meeting for my cycling club. Wanted to grab a drink with my fellow board member afterwards, but sleep thankfully won and now I’m home and about to fall asleep.

Tomorrow is going to SUCK. Major dental work, after my long run (day off for said dental work so why not?). It’ll be a hide the bourbon kind of night.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I hope you enjoy the run, endure the dentist, and don't find the bourbon!
Some days the suck-o-meter is worse than others. But you got this!!

My date with the Dr. (as noted in post #29) is tomorrow. The suckage level will be determined by the results.

Regardless, we soldier on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here we go on Day 15/start of week 3. Finally starting to shed a little of the holiday weight - and back down a belt notch! Hope everyone is feeling good.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sscott43 wrote:
Here we go on Day 15/start of week 3. Finally starting to shed a little of the holiday weight - and back down a belt notch! Hope everyone is feeling good.

Nice, congrats!

I hit a small milestone myself this morning - down 4lbs - moving in the right direction. Sure provides more motivation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well back to being sober. Wife and I had a cruise from the 9 to the 13 with the kids so we did drink on the boat. It was a planned exception, so we’ll keep going until the 5th of February at least. Proud that we drank reasonably though. 2 bottles and a few purchased drinks over 4 nights. Didn’t get buzzed a single time which is unusual for us.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [charlie1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going on 20 days here - just got back from a huge industry conference in Miami where it is basically a boondoogle. Did a nice job of just avoiding it and having productive Breakfast / lunch meetings (vs. dinner / drink meetings). Still feel great resolve, enjoying every morning as a fresh morning. Hangovers were always rare, but even feeling a bit "groggy" got old. I'm over that crap!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My plan of 180 "dry" days for 2020 is still going according to plan. I like the long term lifestyle change it's already having.

I can say "nah, that's fine, no thanks" or I can say "sure, just today a little". Instead of almost every single day having something.

I'm on track at 50% of my days dry for Jan. I think it may be reasonable to stretch goal for 200 dry days for 2020.

Already enjoying better sleep and just a feeling of freedom in the evenings of choice. Being able to say "I don't need that today" is great.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year has surprisingly been easy. It's just not on my mind at this point. It really helped over the weekend that my wife had stuff to do both Saturday and Sunday and if I wanted to get my workout in, I had to be up and going by 6AM, so both nights I was looking to get in the bed rather than sit on the couch.

Strange thing is my wife is NOT doing dry Jan, but it is not affecting me at all, I have worn out the Soda Stream though, need a new CO2 bottle already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sscott43 wrote:

Yikes already the 15th! Time flies when you're having fun...
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I have worn out the Soda Stream though, need a new CO2 bottle already. I second that, also gone through a few cases of Perrier, Pelligrino, Gerolsteiner.
The weekends are the most intense, already thinking about drinking at 10am until 6pm & football. Staying busy & trying not to think about it. Weeknights are okay getting through the Hell hours of 4-7pm then it's a breeze.
Sleeping better, waking up like I have a hang over, completely exhausted from sleeping, but the minute I am up it feels great clear head, body is ready to GO ! .
Plan on doing this for most of 2020, I like the idea of racing, then after the race a few beers,( NO HARD LIQUOR ) then nothing for another month etc.
What I want to know is how much did you all drink before you stopped, I easily could finish a handle in 2 1/2 days of Vodka or Costco brand in 2 days. with only a slight buzz, these drinks when friends tried them called them Elephant tranquilizers.

Right now no sugar, bread and pasta all month compliments the no alcohol.

1/2 way there keeping it DRY
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What I want to know is how much did you all drink before you stopped, I easily could finish a handle in 2 1/2 days of Vodka or Costco brand in 2 days. with only a slight buzz, these drinks when friends tried them called them Elephant tranquilizers.

I’ve been a 2 to 3 beers a day guy for 10+ years. Rarely more than 4, except on a warm Saturday it might be a 12 pack of domestic cheap beer.

Although I almost never get drunk (been a few years at least) it’s crazy how I’ve gotten used to going to bed with a bit of a buzz. Although I’ll have a drink feb 1, I’d like to think I’ll be better about drinking after this. At least I hope so...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Ides of January! Hope it was better than mine!

I am in SO. MUCH. PAIN. About to try to sleep Unmedicated. Wish me luck.

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [nekart14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nekart14 wrote:
Quote:

I’ve been a 2 to 3 beers a day guy for 10+ years. Rarely more than 4, except on a warm Saturday it might be a 12 pack of domestic cheap beer.

Although I almost never get drunk (been a few years at least) it’s crazy how I’ve gotten used to going to bed with a bit of a buzz. Although I’ll have a drink feb 1, I’d like to think I’ll be better about drinking after this. At least I hope so...
y

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
nekart14 wrote:
Quote:

y

x2.

I am in the same boat: 1 beer and a couple glasses of wine like clockwork. It's a habit and hopefully one I am going to change.

A handle = 1.75 liters in 2-2.5 days? Dude...that is very serious drinking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Happy Ides of January! Hope it was better than mine!

I am in SO. MUCH. PAIN. About to try to sleep Unmedicated. Wish me luck.

I hope you made it and are feeling better.
Quote Reply

Prev Next