Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
19 days down, just TWELVE to go! That's a measly 39% left.

Another night of crashing deep into sleep as soon as I hit the pillow last night, so no post again :p Apparently I was voluntold to renovate our bathroom in the basement ahead of the superbowl, and that's where all of my extra energy went this weekend. I've had massively good sleep lately though.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 weekends done! Good job everyone!!
I’m stillrollin 😜
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
Haha. German hotel fitness rooms are tough. Good news is that you are pretty much the only one there.

Skipped dinner to hit the fitness room. Minimize temptations is one strategy.

One bike, one treadmill, one elliptical. Guy was just getting off the treadmill as I arrived.

Oh, and a dry sauna room. After about 30 min on the bike, Naked Dude came out and strolled through the fitness area for a towel.

Now I've been to the spas in Baden-Baden and Wiesbaden, which were clothing optional (except for one I think). But have never seen someone do it in a hotel fitness area.

(sorry for the diversion ... back to no alcohol ...)
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you passed on dinner and the wiener schnitzel. Lucky you didn't face plant on the treadmill :).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eleven days to go!! Almost 65% of the way there!

Easy day and I remembered to post tonight :) my resting HR has gone down about 6bpm since the first of the year and my deep sleep, which I have trouble with, has almost doubled at night. It’s making my ramp up in volume go much smoother.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
my resting HR has gone down about 6bpm since the first of the year

Not sure about deep sleep (or how much I trust Garmin's version of it), but my resting HR has gone down 8 bpm, too.

I knew it would (always done when not partaking), but it is cool to see it consistently low.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kula wrote:
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
my resting HR has gone down about 6bpm since the first of the year

Not sure about deep sleep (or how much I trust Garmin's version of it), but my resting HR has gone down 8 bpm, too.

I knew it would (always done when not partaking), but it is cool to see it consistently low.

Do you actually sleep with the Garmin on? I'd be looking at it every 2 minutes so I have to leave it in the bathroom.

I'm still in, actually at day 37 or something (Dec 14), keeping it going for the rest of the month.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
Do you actually sleep with the Garmin on? I'd be looking at it every 2 minutes so I have to leave it in the bathroom.

I do. It was a little odd at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

In addition to tracking my sleep for my own personal reasons, it's a nice bonus that I get points through one of those Work/fitness incentive programs toward free gift cards. It doesn't matter how much you sleep, just that you tracked it. (The employer only gets data in the aggregate, not individual stats).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:

I have a Polar Ignite, which is quite thin (why I got it), and I sleep with it. Main reason to get it was to be able to do sleep tracking.

It is really obvious that even one glass of wine affects the "nightly recharge". Since going No Alcohol every day has been "Good" or "Very Good" for the nightly recharge. (longer, deeper, fewer interruptions)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:

I wear my Fenix 5 pretty much 24/7. Once in a while a notification pops up that catches my attention while trying to sleep but beyond that I don't even notice it's there. I like being able to track sleep and HR and see what kinds of things affect them.

My resting HR is down around 4bpm since Jan. 1.

Sleep has been great although I've noticed that I feel like I need more sleep than before I started the challenge. I was getting 7-7:45 per night and feeling fine, now it seems like I need a minimum of 8 hours or I struggle to get out of bed. Maybe I'm just in a more natural sleep pattern or something.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kula wrote:
Vols wrote:

I do. It was a little odd at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

In addition to tracking my sleep for my own personal reasons, it's a nice bonus that I get points through one of those Work/fitness incentive programs toward free gift cards. It doesn't matter how much you sleep, just that you tracked it. (The employer only gets data in the aggregate, not individual stats).

Joining this thread a little late as, quite frankly, I wasn't sure I could make it through the whole month, but I'm feeling much more confident as the time progresses.

I have the Oura ring and the difference in my sleep, HRV and resting heart rate between last month (lots and lots of drinking) and this month is remarkable.

I'm now putting in some really strong training sessions and, while it has taken 3 weeks, I'm starting to see some significant performance improvements during this dry period.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [kjwcanary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great work everyone - its just a month, but can change the relationship we share with booze in a real way!

Interesting analysis re: resting BPM - interestingly enough, no real changes to my resting heart rate - but I think i've been over-eating a bit this month (later evening snacks). My journey ends this saturday (doing 30 days) but thanks everyone for the support! Continue on!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [kjwcanary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear you’re doing great. I’ve made it to a point where I barely miss alcohol... the latter part of the month is way easier than I thought. I might continue past January just to see the long term health benefits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Making chili tonight. The recipe call for *half* of a bottle of beer. The struggle is real...
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alcohol free beer of its just for flavor?
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [charlie1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, missing it got less instead of more, especially as gained momentum on a few projects around the house... Weekend was still tempting

Appetite for sweets seems to have gone up but not sure if thats because its colder outside for the rides to work
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For flavor in the recipe. I don't think adding it breaks the vow. But the temptation of downing the other half of the beer was strong. But I overcame it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
For flavor in the recipe. I don't think adding it breaks the vow. But the temptation of downing the other half of the beer was strong. But I overcame it...

Nice work!! I am going strong other than sampling about 2 oz of really good red wine at a friend’s bday party last weekend - felt like it was worth the exception as he wanted me to try it and I told myself I can always extend through Feb. 1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THREE. WEEKS. DONE.
Way to stay the course, everyone! We’re almost on that home stretch!

And off to bed for me. Zzzzz.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right? I woke up yesterday and I marvelled at how quickly the last 10 days seems to have zipped by.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woot!

It seems I'm over weeknight drinking. I rarely even think about it now. Major victory!

Weekends have been tougher. To wit, on Friday night I'm going to a comedy club with a two drink minimum. I hope my friends want my drinks cuz it seems like a waste to buy 2 sodas. Especially since I don't drink soda.
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jan 22, 20 6:20
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
Woot!

It seems I'm over weeknight drinking. I rarely even think about it now. Major victory.

Me too! I unboxed wine we received yesterday in our wine fridge and had no interest in drinking it. A month ago I would have opened at least a bottle.

Given how I’ve been feeling recently I’m really tempted to just give up alcohol for an extended period of time. Summer will be hard with the pool and friends and all, but for time being it is really manageable. I’ll give it more thought.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [charlie1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlie1980 wrote:
Given how I’ve been feeling recently I’m really tempted to just give up alcohol for an extended period of time. Summer will be hard with the pool and friends and all, but for time being it is really manageable. I’ll give it more thought.

It gets easier and easier as you go. Once the default is set to not drink, rather than drink it became an afterthought. No one offers me beer anymore (unless it's someone who's unaware I don't drink which is easy to turn away) and I go months without going to bars even as a millennial. I don't regret giving it up whatsoever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:

ya, the alcohol pretty much cooks out..

that's some serious willpower, not to drink the second half, not sure I could do that. well done !
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
Woot!

It seems I'm over weeknight drinking. I rarely even think about it now. Major victory!

Weekends have been tougher. To wit, on Friday night I'm going to a comedy club with a two drink minimum. I hope my friends want my drinks cuz it seems like a waste to buy 2 sodas. Especially since I don't drink soda.

try a dash of bitters in a glass of soda water - tastes almost like a cocktail, looks like one, but negligible alcohol and sugars..
Quote Reply

Prev Next