Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Quote:

I drink, but Iā€™m wary of alcoholism due to family history. Iā€™ve also always felt like I come into the holidays having been drinking too much for a while.

I am trying not to be judgemental but it seems like you know that you should not drink. Instead of no drink january, make it no drink the rest of your life.

When you start off a sentence with: ā€œ I am trying not to be judgemental...ā€
You know you are.

Please leave. Youā€™re not helping anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Jan 1, I celebrated 31 years sober. I think I will try for another month with you folks.It could be good for me!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've already made your case for permanent abstinence. I suggest starting your own thread, rather than starting to go after individuals in this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in. I've started in years past but usually quit "quitting" after a week or two. Not because of craving but just because. This year I am going to give it a go with no intention of dropping. I read something the other day that made me realize that I am not sure there have been too many days since I started college (23 years ago) that I have not had a drink. No real negative life-ramifications from drinking but I do think taking a breather is a good idea. And if endurance performance improves, that's a plus. There were several hard rides this past summer where I felt fine but know that if I had not drank tequila the night before i would have been even stronger!

here's to 2020!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've looked forward to this the last few years. I'm in, but always a day late plus less happening on 1-Feb in terms of staying dry then. Hoping dry January turns into dry February and beyond.

Best of luck to everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might be in again, but I just don't feel as committed. I guess one thing that I would love to track it the effect that it has on HRV. I have been following mine for the last 4-6 weeks and trying to get a good baseline as we gear up for our 4th baby and another year of triathlon with the goal of continuing to improve. I think I need to take into account my recovery better than in the past because my training time is significantly limited with family obligations. I'll follow the thread and see what happens I'm not naive to the negative side of alcohol (especially the useless calories) but I do like the way I can unwind with it and mellow out at the end of a hard day or how it can pair with good food. I gave up binge drinking years ago when I realized that the hangover was not worth the perceived fun of the previous night. I think my last hangover was New years day 3-4 years ago.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I tried going dry during December but the holidays proved too difficult. I'm hoping the accountability of this board will keep me on the straight and narrow.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin- there are some interesting studies out there on the effects of a ketogenic diet on cancer growth and subsequent recovery from cancer in people who undertake the diet. Might be worth looking into. The keto diet sounds like it could be pretty difficult to follow, but probably less harsh than the effects of chemo or radiation on your body. Whatever you decide to do, giving up alcohol even if just for a month is a great start! I hope you get good news at your next check-up.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GT wrote:
On Jan 1, I celebrated 31 years sober. I think I will try for another month with you folks.It could be good for me!
That's amazing, keep up the great work
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [driftin'by] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
driftin'by wrote:
I've looked forward to this the last few years. I'm in, but always a day late plus less happening on 1-Feb in terms of staying dry then. Hoping dry January turns into dry February and beyond.

Best of luck to everyone.
You got this! You're welcome to reach out if you need help.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
I might be in again, but I just don't feel as committed. I guess one thing that I would love to track it the effect that it has on HRV. I have been following mine for the last 4-6 weeks and trying to get a good baseline as we gear up for our 4th baby and another year of triathlon with the goal of continuing to improve. I think I need to take into account my recovery better than in the past because my training time is significantly limited with family obligations. I'll follow the thread and see what happens I'm not naive to the negative side of alcohol (especially the useless calories) but I do like the way I can unwind with it and mellow out at the end of a hard day or how it can pair with good food. I gave up binge drinking years ago when I realized that the hangover was not worth the perceived fun of the previous night. I think my last hangover was New years day 3-4 years ago.
I for one believe you can do it. If you can train for triathlon and manage 3 (4th on the way) kids then you can do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
I'm in. I tried going dry during December but the holidays proved too difficult. I'm hoping the accountability of this board will keep me on the straight and narrow.
It'll be ezpz. Hit me up if you feel like you need any help.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Mike J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike J wrote:
Doing whole30 for January so I am in by default.

Gonna be a long month - thank you for postingļ¼

x2. I'm doing W30 with my girlfriend---second time w/ W30. I'm already at race weight (which is insane for me in January), so I'm interested to see how lean I get in a month. Sure, it will likely be water weight, but I wonder if I can go south of 160 for the first time since grade school. hah.

FWIW, Chipotle's chicken is now W30 compliant. So enjoy.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 30 days challenges used to be very difficult for me when I looked at them as a challenge. Now that I see alcohol for what it is, a drug, it is much easier to not drink and I don't feel I am missing out on anything.

If anyone needs inspiration check out the book by Allen Carr called the easy way to quit drinking. Helped me stop all together.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [splatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
splatt wrote:
stillrollin- there are some interesting studies out there on the effects of a ketogenic diet on cancer growth and subsequent recovery from cancer in people who undertake the diet. Might be worth looking into. The keto diet sounds like it could be pretty difficult to follow, but probably less harsh than the effects of chemo or radiation on your body. Whatever you decide to do, giving up alcohol even if just for a month is a great start! I hope you get good news at your next check-up.

Thanks for that. I'll look into it. Much appreciated.

It's a short week people, hopefully that makes getting to the weekend easier ;)
Then, if you're like me, the real work begins. Good luck, we got this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gave up alcohol last year at 28 years old, picked up triathlon 2 months later to utilize all the extra money and time I had. I now have neither the extra time or money. Life is much better though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
picked up tri about three months out of rehab and never looked back. Almost four years sober. This lifestyle (and meetings) saved my life. Id try for complete abstinence, you wont regret it.
E
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Started today. . .hungover :-/ I am def looking forward to seeing what may change/improve if anything. I am going through a separation currently and have my kids every other week. I think I started getting more carried away when I started to be by myself and its counterproductive to my goals and ambitions waking up feeling like shit and then seeing my bank account the next day.

Either way, day one is almost in the books and I am planning on waking up early and hitting an interval session I missed today. Boston training cycle has begun! :))

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [ejoe156] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ejoe156 wrote:
picked up tri about three months out of rehab and never looked back. Almost four years sober. This lifestyle (and meetings) saved my life. Id try for complete abstinence, you wont regret it.
E

Congrats to you, 4 years is a great accomplishment!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [charlie1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday was hard for me. First day of not drinking in probably 3+ weeks. Plus I was off, so I had the whole day to think about drinking.

Today Iā€™m at work and busy, significantly easier! Weā€™ll see how that goes for the weekend. Wife is also doing it so should be easier.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [ejoe156] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ejoe156 wrote:
E
Congrats, keep up the good work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If its hard to avoid drinking when your alone with your thoughts you may want to see what local meetings are available. Either that or go help someone... anyone. Anything to get out of your own head. That helped me a lot in the beginning.
E
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
Started today. . .hungover :-/ I am def looking forward to seeing what may change/improve if anything. I am going through a separation currently and have my kids every other week. I think I started getting more carried away when I started to be by myself and its counterproductive to my goals and ambitions waking up feeling like shit and then seeing my bank account the next day.

Either way, day one is almost in the books and I am planning on waking up early and hitting an interval session I missed today. Boston training cycle has begun! :))
You can do it. Separation can be tough, don't let it be an excuse for boozing though. There's no answers at the bottom of the bottle unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
charlie1980 wrote:
Yesterday was hard for me. First day of not drinking in probably 3+ weeks. Plus I was off, so I had the whole day to think about drinking.

Today Iā€™m at work and busy, significantly easier! Weā€™ll see how that goes for the weekend. Wife is also doing it so should be easier.
You got this, keep up the good work and stay strong
Quote Reply

Prev Next