Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Mike J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ill start on Monday

i like having a few drinks a day over the holiday (i'm off until monday) - plus the wife and I are going away for 2 days without the kids tomorrow, so I need to push the red wine if i'm going to get lucky
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in. I average 1-2 beers/week during the bulk of the year, but that goes up to 7-8 during the holidays and then a few each day while on vacation, which ends today, so zero in January is a good reset for me.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in. Was thinking of just giving up my craft beer habit and availing myself of other options for social events in an effort to lose some weight. But, I’m all in.

Unfortunately I’ve got a bigger challenge- in October I had a cancerous tumor removed from my bladder (it’s supposedly treatable) Kinda said screw it and started drinking more and eating whatever I wanted. That’s clearly not the answer. It’s s time to take control of things that I can.

I go back on January 16 to have a procedure to see where I am with this dreaded disease. So, I’ll be half way through this challenge and at the next stage of the cancer challenge.
And so it goes.
Let’s do this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for January 2020. Thanks for organizing this on Slowtwitch. Last year January was no problem. Who needs that freakn alcohol? It doesn't seem to REALLY help anyone and most certainly causes a lot of problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given my Handle name, this is obviously going to be a challenge. I'm under intense pressure at work, and have been drinking more to cope... It's not making anything better, just worse. I feel like shit the next day, which just exacerbates the whole shitty situation. I could use a break.

Also, I'm getting a Dexa body scan this Friday, so before and after results will be very interesting!

Stay Strong!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In for year two of Dry January, hopefully its easier than last year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve no plans to join anyone on this journey, but I’m curious. For those of you who report huge improvements in sleep, workouts, etc., how much were you drinking beforehand?
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
I’m in. Was thinking of just giving up my craft beer habit and availing myself of other options for social events in an effort to lose some weight. But, I’m all in.

Unfortunately I’ve got a bigger challenge- in October I had a cancerous tumor removed from my bladder (it’s supposedly treatable) Kinda said screw it and started drinking more and eating whatever I wanted. That’s clearly not the answer. It’s s time to take control of things that I can.

I go back on January 16 to have a procedure to see where I am with this dreaded disease. So, I’ll be half way through this challenge and at the next stage of the cancer challenge.
And so it goes.
Let’s do this!

Hopefully you get good news on the 16th.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Dealing with it is my new normal. Hoping I won’t need those fine folks at Sloan Kettering anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My heart was acting up in races and I was dx with PVC, so I decided to quit caffeine and alcohol on August. It was easy to do and I don't feel weird when I go hard, so maybe it helped my heart. I was a very heavy coffee drinker and found quitting very easy. Nice not having all the coffee drama when I travel. Old mil na is almost as good as regular old mil.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t say huge necessarily, just...noticeable.

I’m not a heavy drinker by any stretch. Maybe a max of 3 drinks a week. But I’ve got the alcoholic genetics, plus being wee in stature, plus being post-menopausal all working against me.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 1 for me is in the books as I’m tucking in to bed, and I’ll continue my habit from last year of posting as the day is done. Congrats on making it this far! It may seem like a small day, but they start adding up very quickly.

Today was easy, as I had a relaxed day. Easier than expected because we brewed a batch of American Pale Ale this afternoon, and it’s of course almost a requirement to enjoy a beer as part of the process. I realized that my cherry oat porter is going to run out without me having another taste of it, and that made me kind of annoyed, haha.

Tomorrow will be interesting, I have an FTP test and then some painful dental work, and I may be crying for analgesics of some sort by the end of it.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X 1000. I haven't had a drop of alcohol in exactly 12 years and have zero regrets. All Pro's zero Con's. My life and training have been so much better. Despite some of the bullshit studies on red wine, the truth is there is zero positives to alcohol. It's one-hundred-percent poison and does not belong in the human body. Want to relax, drink some chamomile tea. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Day 1 done. Trying to eat better also. Let's all help one another here.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As always I will be in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in again. I think it helped me a little nutritionally last year. After last year's No-A January, my baseline shrank to about 1 beer per month anyway (just grab a beer when meeting with friends in pubs, etc), so it shouldn't be hard.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because it’s a worthwhile “check in” and test.

I drink, but I’m wary of alcoholism due to family history. I’ve also always felt like I come into the holidays having been drinking too much for a while. So for the last couple years I’ve quit non-event drinking from basically mid November to Christmas, and limited it to those events the addition of which makes had previously made me feel like I’ve been drinking too much. I.e., holiday parties and thanksgiving and related events. So it ends up being a glass of wine at thanksgiving, a glass of wine at my office holiday party, and maybe one at my wife’s.

So not quite completely dry, but I’m someone who will really look forward to a drink at dinner on a Friday after a long week at work. To me it’s good to check in every once in a while and evaluate my reaction to not having that.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
I'm in. Day 1 done. Trying to eat better also. Let's all help one another here.

I understand most here are not alcoholics (I am a recovering alcoholic) but I think most would be amazed at what an AA meeting (if its open and not a closed meeting, meaning it allows non-alcoholics) is like. Its just people helping people be better with life in any way. Really positive stuff mostly.

I like the idea of using this thread to help each other in any way.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me in as well. Going to start a swim block in january up to march....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In and through day 1. Normally a day with this much football would mean a few good beers...today was a lot of water and coffee.

Thanks for throwing this out there this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good. I too am going to give whole 30 a shot so this will be a good place to post. It’s interesting to see the range of replies here - not sure why the snark is needed. Congrats if you are sober and that’s what you want to do. Congrats if you like beer and bourbon and that’s what you want to do. Congrats if you want to take a month to see if making decisions differently impacts your life in some way meaningful.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
X 1000. I haven't had a drop of alcohol in exactly 12 years and have zero regrets. All Pro's zero Con's. My life and training have been so much better. Despite some of the bullshit studies on red wine, the truth is there is zero positives to alcohol. It's one-hundred-percent poison and does not belong in the human body. Want to relax, drink some chamomile tea. :-)

Congrats on the dry dozen! I'm a little over 2 myself. The bullshit studies are an interesting example of social currency at work. One who shares those articles gets a plethora of 'likes.' Share an article about all the cancer risks that skyrocket when consuming even a moderate amount of alcohol? Crickets and grumpy friends. Ergo, the casual reader remembers seeing many headlines about some supposed tertiary benefit of drinking, but has rarely seen a headline discussing the more severe risks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, but will be starting on Jan 7. I did January last year and will be shooting for two months this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in...

I'm already on day 7, hoping to get to Jan 31 and reset my relationship with alcohol from then on. Ultimate goal is to get back to having a few beer after my long workout Saturday afternoon and that's it for the week.

Good luck to everyone, I know for some (like me) it will be a tough go.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I drink, but I’m wary of alcoholism due to family history. I’ve also always felt like I come into the holidays having been drinking too much for a while.

I am trying not to be judgemental but it seems like you know that you should not drink. Instead of no drink january, make it no drink the rest of your life.
Last edited by: Klaus Daimler: Jan 2, 20 4:15
Quote Reply

Prev Next