Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [charlie1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlie1980 wrote:
Given how I’ve been feeling recently I’m really tempted to just give up alcohol for an extended period of time. Summer will be hard with the pool and friends and all, but for time being it is really manageable. I’ll give it more thought.

2015 & 2016 I was really serious about racing (bike), and went without from Jan. until end of the racing season. The longer I go without, the less I want it. At some point then, it just became the new normal not to drink. I had good results those years, probably not a coincidence.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
channel your inner Europe because IT’S THE FIIIINAAAAL COUNTDOWWWWWN

22 days done and dusted. 9 to go! We’re so close, stay strong!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"9 to go!"

Yes! Single digits.

Your daily updates continue to inspire. Thanks Dr.!!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most bartenders and waitresses ... at least the good ones are good about this. There are tons of other options for folks that don't drink alcohol. Mocktails, Virgin Bloody Mary's are good ... it's basically spicy juice, ice tea, Arnold Palmer which is ice tea and lemonade, juices, coffee, hot tea and so on.

Regarding the comedy club specifically when I was pregnant we went for a improv comedy show and they waived my drink minimum - I ordered food.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miamiamy wrote:
Most bartenders and waitresses ... at least the good ones are good about this. There are tons of other options for folks that don't drink alcohol. Mocktails, Virgin Bloody Mary's are good ... it's basically spicy juice, ice tea, Arnold Palmer which is ice tea and lemonade, juices, coffee, hot tea and so on.

Regarding the comedy club specifically when I was pregnant we went for a improv comedy show and they waived my drink minimum - I ordered food.

Back in a former life when I was a night club DJ, my wife would get tired of "having" to be out drinking 3 nights every weekend (she was my pseudo promoter if you will). Instead of dealing with the never ending "why are you not drinking" she would get tonic and a lime in a low ball glass. No one asked what it was, just assumed it was a vodka tonic or something. Then you just ask the same bartender for "another" when ordering, that way you do not have to actually say it.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miamiamy wrote:

My wife just told me that's an option here - 2 food items instead of 2 drinks. All good. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember my first trip to Kona in 1991. I was 23 and I marvelled at all the German athletes that were a bit older. They were all fit looking but were all carrying beer into their condos, and I thought that beer and triathlon training were not really suited for each other. 30 years later, I think I am a lot like those German athletes. I love to train and race and I love to have a beer and a glass of wine and occasional single malt whisky. If I am being honest I likely drink 2-3 drinks a day 5-6 days a week. I decided on Dec 30th to not drink alcohol for a month, just to make sure that my habit was not an addiction and also to see if i noticed any health differences. My good friend who is also a pretty hard core athlete who drinks the same as me committed as well. I honestly feel no different at all - same sleep patterns - same energy levels - same body weight. Other than saving money I dont see a benefit that I can point to. That said - I want to keep my habit in check and take days off drinking each week and not make it a regular daily habit. Best of luck with your choices for food and drink and see you at the races :)

Michael Hay - helped on the journey by the great folks at ZiZU Optics, (for the custom fit), and Bialkowlski's TRYSPORT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eight more days! We are a touch under 75% of the way there! Time to dig deep for the final push and to also reflect on the month, to make a plan to go forward into the rest of the year.

I plan to do that after a metric fuckton of sleep.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the longest I've gone without a drink for many years. I think it's working because I'm on a big weight loss thing and it's really working well so I'm getting lots of positive reinforcement. All good.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobK wrote:
This is the longest I've gone without a drink for many years. I think it's working because I'm on a big weight loss thing and it's really working well so I'm getting lots of positive reinforcement. All good.

Good for you! I’ve lost 7 lbs myself and am actually glad we have another week as I’d love to drop an even 10.

Our last weekend (not) on tap!
Let’s go!!!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great work everyone - last few days! Am happy with how this month has been going - and am looking forward to settling in into a balanced routine for the remainder of the year. Exercises of self-restraint are always good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ONE. WEEK. TO. GO.

This is like mile 23 of the marathon. You’re tired, your brain is numb, everything sucks, but you know deep down you’re going to make it. That finish line is in sight!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feeling pretty good about finishing this off, at the moment. Made it through the biggest temptation ive faced, so far, with an uncle's passing due to a brain aneurysm. He was a good man. A farmer that worked his tail off and was all about his family. Normally, an event like that would lead to a few drinks while reflecting on the man he was and our own mortality. The thought of having to answer to a bunch of strangers on Slowtwitch actually helped more than I expected when I was faced with the decision to cave or not.

I think the next week will be pretty easy, honestly. We made it this far and I don't see another week being a problem. The coffee tastes so much better in the morning without that fuzziness in the head.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [parrothead1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about your uncle.

I'm still cruising along. It's interesting to learn that a buddy struggles much more than I do. We were talking about which Saturday ride to do, and I suggested this one that starts and ends at a brewery, and he paused, and suggested we do another ride, and that he was almost through January. Being a good ally, I immediately suggested another ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, I think the longer it goes, the easier it gets. I'm thinking about turning my no alcohol and no bread january into no alcohol and no bread february (except pizza)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SIX. DAYS. Less than 20% remains!

The last few days have been rough. I had an achingly long week at work, and hosted a happy hour last night (where I stayed dry, thanks to the house-made shrubs). My mind still reverts back to the idea that a glass of...*something* will help me sleep better, even though I’ve proven to myself year after year that the opposite is true. Mostly I think I just want to turn off my brain so it leaves me alone when my eyes are shut. So, anyone got any good meditation practices to share?

Sending love and hugs to those who need them right now. It’s a tough go with any struggle, let alone when you’ve removed a source of comfort and mental analgesia. You’re a stronger person coming through the other side with this extra resistance training.

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
Interestingly, I think the longer it goes, the easier it gets.

This is my experience also. Made it through this past week on the work trip in Germany, and didn't have a problem passing on the beer. Got home Friday evening after a long travel day. The usual habit would be to open some wine then sleep like crap. Thought about it, but the urge to do so was not very strong.

I am thinking about extending also into Feb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Mostly I think I just want to turn off my brain so it leaves me alone when my eyes are shut. So, anyone got any good meditation practices to share?

check out "The Meditation Podcast". They have a number of episodes that are good for falling asleep to, combination of guided meditation with underlying sounds. Usually gets me to sleep before it ends. Aside from that, I have been learning via yoga class that simply paying attention to and counting breath helps a lot. e.g., count 4 inhale, 2 hold, 4 exhale. Or just count down single breath from some number. Lost count? just start again.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also just made it through a week long trip to Amsterdam without much issue, ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FIVE. MORE. DAYS.

Seriously, y’all, this is the home stretch. Survive the workweek and for most of us, the weekend unlocks the gate.

Easy weekend for the most part, with a known rough day or two looming this week. Looking forward to another mission accomplished!

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Sorry about your uncle.

I'm still cruising along. It's interesting to learn that a buddy struggles much more than I do. We were talking about which Saturday ride to do, and I suggested this one that starts and ends at a brewery, and he paused, and suggested we do another ride, and that he was almost through January. Being a good ally, I immediately suggested another ride.

Thanks. Talking about him, on this thread, is ironic in that i'm guessing you could count the amount of drinks he had in his life on one or zero hands.

I would find it difficult taking a hard pass on the offerings from a brewery at the end of ride, too...I mean...about as fresh as you can get :-). The swim/bike/run part of January has been far more difficult than the celibate with alcohol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As planned, mine ended last weekend. Looking forward to it for weeks, that glass of Cab was absolutely heavenly.

As a giant positive though, I don't want more than the 1-2 glasses. Grabbed a beer after dinner out of habit, but found myself not really enjoying it, and it definitely did not taste like another. Hopefully this sticks and the focus stays on just 1-2 on occasion, that really does not mess with my sleep or functionality the next day.

Thanks everyone for the support, the reward is worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m actually contemplating where my alcohol use goes from here. I don’t want to be a hardcore no all the time, but what is the right frequency?

I’ve been feeling better since Jan 1st, better sleep, weight loss, more patient around the kids, but don’t see myself fully quitting. Should I do only special occasions like Valentine’s Day, birthdays etc? Only fancy dinners which happen only 2-3/year? What’s a special occasion anyways? Only during vacations? If I start with Super Bowl on Sunday, how long/what is the risk of going back to my old habits of almost every day? How hard will it be to limit myself to 2-3 drinks per sitting, twice a week?

All rethorical anyway, I’m kinda using slowtwitch as my own journal. I guess I’ll post in 2021 to see what happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not a big believer in rules of when I’m allowed to drink, has to be a little more organic than that to be successful. I’m taking the approach of limiting consumption during the week, and only having a few on the weekend if I feel like it.

It’s very easy for me, when saying it’s allowed on special occasions, to make any occasion special and then it has no meaning. We did this in College, my roommates and I all tried to limit our smoking. Started with only smoking on days beginning in “T”, which was Tuesday, Thursday, and Tailgate days. Then we started sitting on the tailgate of my buddies truck, then it was “Today”.

For me it’s just looking at my consumption periodically taking stock of where I am, and when I feel like it is getting a bit much, taking a step back. Last year I didn’t race at all, and it started to get out of hand, so in addition to the January step back, I also took most of July to dry our. Most years the January dry experiment is enough to keep it all in check. The most important thing is to recognize when it is starting to affect other areas of your life, and take control of it before you descend into addiction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
charlie1980 wrote:
I’m actually contemplating where my alcohol use goes from here. I don’t want to be a hardcore no all the time, but what is the right frequency?

I’ve been feeling better since Jan 1st, better sleep, weight loss, more patient around the kids, but don’t see myself fully quitting. Should I do only special occasions like Valentine’s Day, birthdays etc? Only fancy dinners which happen only 2-3/year? What’s a special occasion anyways? Only during vacations? If I start with Super Bowl on Sunday, how long/what is the risk of going back to my old habits of almost every day? How hard will it be to limit myself to 2-3 drinks per sitting, twice a week?

This is the identical scenario I'm facing. This dry January has been the longest I've gone since I started drinking ~10yrs ago. I was in a pretty steady habit of 2-3 beers a night, sometimes more, and definitely more on weekends.

Having gone 27 days now, I only see positives. I'm dropping weight. I'm smashing workouts. I'm sleeping better. I'm more productive around the house. I don't start stupid arguments with my SO. I wake up happy and without a hangover. It truly makes me reconsider if I will go back and to what extent.

I certainly don't want to fall back into multiple drinks a night just because. But being able to grab the occasional drink with friends at the brewery or after a long workout would be nice. I guess everything is TBD, but my life has genuinely been better without booze. So now at least I can come reference this post in the future as a reminder haha
Quote Reply

Prev Next