Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
dunno wrote:
I find it hard to believe that anyone truly drinks alcohol because it 'tastes good'.
Seriously?
That's an astonishing comment (at least to me) and if you mean it, it shows remarkable ignorance.

Do you think people spend a lot more to get better quality wines, beers and spirits because they find them more bearable? or to be pretentious perhaps?
No, plenty people, myself included, drink alcoholic beverages primarily because they appreciate the taste. If I drink a glass of wine with dinner I'm not about to feel any noticeable effects outside of the taste. I do it because I enjoy the taste. On the other hand, if I only had a choice between bad wine/beer, or a glass of water, I'll have the water.
Admittedly, on occasion I'll drink a bit more, and on those occasions I'll drink the good stuff first and the slightly less good stuff later when my palette's no longer at it's best! If people just wanted to get drunk and didn't like the taste wouldn't they just gulp down sugary cocktails or shots or something?

I honestly can't get past the alcohol taste, I can't taste anything else and to me, it's truly awful.

But then again I have many friends that can distinguish between different types of beers and wines and they very much like their own particular drink.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then, You’ve been drinking the wrong stuff. I’m 44. I can’t remember the last time I drank alcohol “to get drunk”. There is so much good-tasting beer, wine and spirits out there. Just, in moderation.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
dunno wrote:
I find it hard to believe that anyone truly drinks alcohol because it 'tastes good'.
Seriously?
That's an astonishing comment (at least to me) and if you mean it, it shows remarkable ignorance.

Do you think people spend a lot more to get better quality wines, beers and spirits because they find them more bearable? or to be pretentious perhaps?
No, plenty people, myself included, drink alcoholic beverages primarily because they appreciate the taste. If I drink a glass of wine with dinner I'm not about to feel any noticeable effects outside of the taste. I do it because I enjoy the taste. On the other hand, if I only had a choice between bad wine/beer, or a glass of water, I'll have the water.
Admittedly, on occasion I'll drink a bit more, and on those occasions I'll drink the good stuff first and the slightly less good stuff later when my palette's no longer at it's best! If people just wanted to get drunk and didn't like the taste wouldn't they just gulp down sugary cocktails or shots or something?

I honestly can't get past the alcohol taste, I can't taste anything else and to me, it's truly awful.

But then again I have many friends that can distinguish between different types of beers and wines and they very much like their own particular drink.
That's fair enough. I generally don't like drinks with high alcohol levels like whiskey or cognac myself, although there are a few exceptions. Usually they seem unbalanced and harsh to me. But not generally liking hogh conventrations of alcohol doesn't mean I don't like alcohol, or miss the taste when it's not there. I don't like really sweet drinks or deserts, and I don't like eating teaspoons of salt. That doesn't mean I wouldn't miss either salt or sugar if I tried to eliminate them from my diet!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sscott43 wrote:
stillrollin wrote:
I'm going to be pre-emptive and say, WE DID IT!

Thanks again to our hostess and kudos to all those that played along.

I've stopped drinking twice in the past, primarily for weight loss. This started that way but became much more mental as I really focused on my relationship with booze (craft beer primarily).

In 31 days without alcohol I:
  1. broke the daily, post work IPA habit;
  2. realized that drinking alone (& justifying it) is really the little booze devil on my shoulder whispering demonic, habitual thoughts in my ear;
  3. generally felt better and better about myself and;
  4. lost 9 pounds ( I did eat better and began exercising regularly again, but they seem to go hand in hand).

I'm not going to place any hard rules on myself. I was contemplating no drinking Sun-Thurs but I think that sets myself up for failure. I still may have the occasional weeknight beer or a couple on the weekends but it's going to be more social and not habitual. As others have noted, I'm just going to be more self aware and make sure old habits don't return.

So, I won the no alcohol battle but my war on cancer continues with surgery and one time chemo blast next Thursday, 2/6 to hopefully eradicate this shit from my bladder.Thank you all for the positive vibes you've sent.

Keep on fighting the good fight(s). I will.

Hope yesterday’s chemo went ok and you’re on the road to recovery. I feel off the wagon hard last week (on a boys weekend and a trip to High West in park city was not an ideal way to come off a dry January) but have another 6 days dry in the bag. No alcohol “battle” is the right term for me - thinking about trying to go mostly dry until DK end of May but it’s a struggle to be sure with all the “wet” folks in my circle.

Appreciate it. My body tolerated the chemo this time & the surgery went well too. Biopsy sent to pathology, results next week. I feel good today and staying positive. Thanks again.

Funny you mentioned Park City, I’m heading there for the first time in March. PSYCHED!

As to drinking; as planned, I partied hard on 2/1 in Atlantic City. But I won $1400, and haven’t drank since. Win, win!

I think I found a nice balance.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I quit drinking in 2020 since we have legal weed now.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [cantholdus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cantholdus wrote:
I think it's only worth giving up alltogether too. There are lots of free rehabs, mostly christian centers, here's a list https://addictionresource.com/...-and-rehab-hotlines/. So in my opinion, if you can't quit yourself and you really want to do something with your life, there's nothing wrong with asking for help.

Yes. Ask for help if you need it.

My 2020 status is the same as its been for many many years. We are divorced, not speaking and never will again. My alcohol free life is very very good.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just replying to last.

I'm being a lot more mindful and/or deliberate this year. A rather impactful rule I've self-imposed is no alcohol on consecutive days. While I really don't notice any changes from shifting my mild consumption to milder consumption (or moderate to mild, depending on where you draw your lines), it's definitely cheaper.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was doing 180 days in 2020 instead of all January.

Jan summary is 15 of 31 days and on track for Feb so far.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
dunno wrote:
Seriously?

I think it's you that's showing ignorance. Be honest with yourself. You could almost guarantee that if alcoholic drinks tasted the same but didn't have alcohol consumption woud be next to nothing.

Yeah yeah yeah, I too spend a lot to get a really nice bottle of whisky or wine, but that's because they taste considerably better than the cheap alternatives. But the reason for drinking in the first place is a little buzz, relaxation etc that is associated with alcohol. Not because it tastes great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, no, I disagree. There have been times where I've been enjoying a phenomenal bottle of wine where I've been obsessed with the taste and then realize oh shit, I'm not going to stand up easily from this adventure. The stuff just tastes good. The alcohol content creates a chemical wash over your tastebuds that makes an experience for you if that's what you're seeking.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did no alcohol Jan the last two years and then merrily went on drinking the rest of the year. This time has been much different, almost as if I have developed an intolerance to alcohol. I had two beers during the super bowl which was promptly followed by a headache and lethargy the next day. Haven't had a drop since and so far have a very limited desire to drink..which is surprising since I really enjoy the vino tinto!
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2020 relationship with alcohol [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimfan wrote:
I quit drinking in 2020 since we have legal weed now.

So next year we're gonna need a "Wet January" thread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, it's been a minute. I had my first "I really DO want to drink" experience last Friday, as the cap to a shitfuck week at work and a lot of other pent-up nonsense. I had three whole beers. They were all delicious. I felt like garbage the next day. So, lesson re-learned.

Sadly, my husband does not share this insight with me, nor enthusiasm about cutting out alcohol drastically from my lifestyle. It's frustrating to have to either tag along on adventures where drinking is the foundation (like going to a local brew house, or seeking out a new wien somewhere, etc) when all I want to do is try to gain some traction and positively reinforce my new, healthier habits. I snapped at him pretty hard about it on Saturday and hopefully the point stuck.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The social occasions where drinking is the foundation are tricky. Meeting friends at a bar/ restaurant is one thing, but touring a brewery is a whole different game. If your new relationship with alcohol is clear, an event like that will be more uninteresting than a temptation. You can't expect other people to change their behavior though (even your husband). You are doing this for yourself, and it is a sad fact that drinkers feel more comfortable around other drinkers (cognitive dissonance is unpleasant).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those following, I'm HAPPY to report that my last scrapping just came back benign! I'll go back in 3 months to look at it again but all signs are positive. Then, hopefully, it's every 6 months for two years and I'm done with cancer. Yup, a giant FU to cancer this time!

Final note on this - if you have any symptoms (mine was blood in the urine after running) go to the doctor. Catching it early was key to a successful outcome.

Final, final note - still drinking way less; only on weekends and never solo.

Life is good! I wish you all the best.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is AMAZING news! Congrats! I'm so happy for you, I bet you'll be sleeping a bit better now, even being dry during the week ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
So, it's been a minute. I had my first "I really DO want to drink" experience last Friday, as the cap to a shitfuck week at work and a lot of other pent-up nonsense. I had three whole beers. They were all delicious. I felt like garbage the next day. So, lesson re-learned.

Sadly, my husband does not share this insight with me, nor enthusiasm about cutting out alcohol drastically from my lifestyle. It's frustrating to have to either tag along on adventures where drinking is the foundation (like going to a local brew house, or seeking out a new wien somewhere, etc) when all I want to do is try to gain some traction and positively reinforce my new, healthier habits. I snapped at him pretty hard about it on Saturday and hopefully the point stuck.

tough if your partner does not share the same perspective but stay strong - I've had a similar "post january" experience - even 2-3 drinks makes me feel "foggy" the next day and I can see how it impacts me in ways I did not even realize before...there are times when its OK to get that fogginess (wedding, bachelor / ette, etc) but definitely very far and few between!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:
I've had a similar "post january" experience - even 2-3 drinks makes me feel "foggy" the next day and I can see how it impacts me in ways I did not even realize before...there are times when its OK to get that fogginess (wedding, bachelor / ette, etc) but definitely very far and few between!

I've been feeling this way also. Two work trips since start of Feb. Going out for dinner with co-workers / colleagues always involves alcohol. Always. (that in itself I think says something our collective relationship with alcohol).

Trip 1, had 1 glass of wine at dinner one night, and felt good stopping at that point. Last night before leaving, the 2nd glass sounded good. Ended up feeling like crap getting on the plane the next morning (and, long flight, ugh)

Trip 2, this past week. Drank only one night (of 4) at dinner. Again added the 2nd glass, slept poorly, woke up with headache

I guess not too surprising: seems that drinking less means the alcohol affects me more when I do drink it.

Got home last night, normally would drink something as part of unwinding from the week. But I thought ... I'm gonna try not doing that this time. If I sit with the urge for a while, it will pass (for me anyway, I know everyone's not the same there)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by triguy1984 [ In reply to ]
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [triguy1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't get the point of that stuff.

On topic, a few weeks back I drank bourbon like I was a college kid again downing jack. Difference was most of my stuff is 100 proof or higher. Well I had a bad night and threw up for a bit.

Since then I'm chilling. I only drink one day/Saturday. Week after I had a Yuengling, last week some Margaritas, and this week two ciders from a local cidery. Alcohol is really tough to deal with if you enjoy that but also enjoy performing early the next day, next week I have a long ride Saturday and then a Virtual 10k, so I'm probably not drinking at all next week.

Cheers and train hard.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in agreement that alcohol is tough to deal with if you enjoy performing early next day, which is why I stopped drinking alcohol almost two years ago and switched to NA beer. To each their own, but it’s been the best of both worlds for me—I’m not missing out on drinking and I never have to compromise my training or think about how drinking may impact my next workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the code! I love the stuff and ordered some more. I haven’t quit alcohol completely (still love a Sierra Nevada draft now and then), but I agree with you that this is the best of both worlds; no alcohol and tastes great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the code, ordered some. Hopefully it is good, since most of the NA beers I tried so far is crap :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy1984 wrote:
I’m in agreement that alcohol is tough to deal with if you enjoy performing early next day, which is why I stopped drinking alcohol almost two years ago and switched to NA beer. To each their own, but it’s been the best of both worlds for me—I’m not missing out on drinking and I never have to compromise my training or think about how drinking may impact my next workout.

My problem is alcohol doesn't seem to impact my performance-I can drink 3/4 a bottle of whisky and then the next morning smash out 4 hours at 200+watt av and feel terrific...I have a love hate relationship with alcohol, hate it most of the time but love it when I'm drinking it. One is too much and 2 is not enough certainly springs to mind..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
One is too much and 2 is not enough certainly springs to mind..

“I like to have a martini, Two at the very most. After three I'm under the table, after four I'm under my host.” ― Dorothy Parker

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next