Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why no suspend baseball players for life? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]

BDoughtie wrote:
I may be wrong, but I dont think MLB players were ever part of the olympic game. I think atleast in terms of the US roster it was college and minor leaguers, if I remember correctly.

2000, 2004 and 2008 pro's were allowed for baseball.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]

BDoughtie wrote:
I think we're just kinda stuck with what we have. It's going to take probaly 10-15 years of "clean" riders cycling through their entire careers before cycling every can get seriously cleaned up. So essentially the generation of riders who race an entire career through the bio passport, will have the chance to take over leadership roles on teams and maybe even big wig cycling positions, then we can really see if the sport is clean. Obviously doping will always be an issue, but I think with the bio passport, atleast it's going in the right direction. I think they just need to cycle out the old guard and cycle in some new blood, and that'll just take time.

And to that end, we need to start testing the high performing age groupers. Kona qualifiers, definitely Kona podium among AG'ers, World teams and All American/Honorable Mention categories need to be put into an OOC/IC pool. I don't think the scheduling needs to be as strict as for elites, otherwise you drive amateurs out, but I definitely think that they should be "more" eligible to be tested (The section of the USAT rules notwithstanding).

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |

Re: A Question Only [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

My cousin in law (I think that's the right term) and I had a discussion about this. This is a former D1 collegiate soccer player turned strength trainer who now does some office job. We talked about Lance, and he isn't so much pro Lance, but was simply of the mindset of how can a person pass that many tests. I pretty much told him about the entire process of the sport, how it's dirty, how numerous riders pass every test and then either years later admit or get implicated in some scandel. His response, "why is that not ever reported". Obviously his dirty laundry will be reported now, but I still think there are enough people out there that simply dont care. You could tell him and show him facts, and he'll shrug his shoulders and go about his business. I think as you say, the haters will hate, the supporters will support, and the rest will just mindlessly argue the same points.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

I'm 100% in favor of a clean sport, but I'm only in favor of massive AG testing if it's paid for by the majority of the AG'ers who will be the test subjects. Meaning, I think it should be the guys who are racing for the podiums, team usa, kona spots that have to pay for it. Don't put it on everyone to fund the program. Of course if you can get the entire population of members and only raise their fee's by $8 a year and have a creditable testing then that would be pretty cool. But if we are talking raising fee's by $40-$50 dollars for every USAT member, then I'd be against it. But I think even right now, technically any usat member is subject to some type of testing, *I think*.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [pick6] [ In reply to ]

pick6 wrote:

We're far more likely to see IOC step in and replace UCI as the cycling body. Maybe we'll get lucky and in the next election the existing management of UCI will get a clean sweep and folks who care about clean sport will be put in charge of UCI, but I dont count on that.

FYI Pat McQuaid head of UCI, who was a cyclist himself received a lifetime ban from the Olympics for racing in apartheid era south africa, is doing everything he can to suck up because he wants desperately to get back in olympic good graces, he's lost an election in May to be on the IOC executive committee though he is still an IOC member. Im hopefully this issue brings pressure from IOC, but if it had been announced pre olympics this year i think it would have done more

I don't know if they would replace UCI as a governing body, although it's possible (See my earlier USOC/USTU posts), but I can see them getting rid of the heirarchy in the organization and putting new people in.

John

BDoughtie wrote:
I'm 100% in favor of a clean sport, but I'm only in favor of massive AG testing if it's paid for by the majority of the AG'ers who will be the test subjects. Meaning, I think it should be the guys who are racing for the podiums, team usa, kona spots that have to pay for it. Don't put it on everyone to fund the program. Of course if you can get the entire population of members and only raise their fee's by $8 a year and have a creditable testing then that would be pretty cool. But if we are talking raising fee's by $40-$50 dollars for every USAT member, then I'd be against it. But I think even right now, technically any usat member is subject to some type of testing, *I think*.

Quote:
8.2 Incorporation of Rules. It is the responsibility of each member of USA Triathlon to comply with the applicable anti-doping rules, regulations and policies of the ITU, the USOC, the IOC and the USADA, that are hereby incorporated in full by USA Triathlon. It is also the responsibility of each member of USA Triathlon to submit, without reservation or condition, to in-competition and out-of-competition doping controls conducted by either the ITU or the USADA. Out-of-competition (short notice) testing of athletes may take place at USA Triathlon elite-level camps, training sessions at USOC facilities or at other designated sites. Out of competition testing (no advance notice) testing of athletes may take place at any time for those athletes designated by USA Triathlon for inclusion in USA Triathlon's Out-of-Competition testing pool. Additional information regarding the anti-doping rules of the ITU, the USOC and the USADA, may be found at http://www.triathlon.org and http://www.usantidoping.org. Athletes may also contact the USADA Drug Reference Line at (800) 233-0393 for information on medications and other substances.

So, basically IC testing could happen for any athlete anywhere. OOC testing (Which is really about the only place you'd catch anyone other than the stupid) is reserved for those designated for testing by USAT, which basically means pro/elite.

I don't mind an extra $5-10 on every membership, if it were earmarked specifically for doping controls on the amateur AA/World teams lists, both IC and OOC. I would also slap a portion of those fees ($5) on to all the one day licenses. So, if you get 3 one day licenses, you put $15 into the testing pool. That would encourage the one day license people to get a yearly, and thus enter into the potential pool.

John

Last edited by: Devlin: Oct 11, 12 22:45

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [mattreg3] [ In reply to ]

I think it is fair to assume that anyone that was that consumed with doping and lying for that many years would not bring it to an end once they entered triathlon.

I wish I could place a bet that he was doped for his last year of triathlon. That only seems logical. There as no reason for him to stop and he was clearly in contact with the doping doctor.

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]

TriTrev wrote:
Kiwifly wrote:
TriTrev wrote:
Your can be delusional, but this is totally wrong.....clean athletes have been adversely affected by the delayed suspensions to dirty athletes, that is a fact, that cannot ever be justified, not delusional, but undeniable in the face of true justice

How exactly have clean athletes been adversely affected by the delayed suspensions? If the confessions are to be believed, the suspended riders have been riding clean for several years. It is not like USADA was aware that a rider was currently competing doped and continued to let them do so. Is an admitted doper "dirty" forever? Or just for the period that they used PEDs? Can there be redemption?

If.....you a proven doper, because you confessed, you should be suspended immediately....but instead of being suspended you are allowed to continue riding as if nothing happened...you are taking a position on a team/or a race start away from someone that is clean....adversely affecting that clean rider. How do you think the rookie rider feels that was denied a start in the Tour because one of these riders took a team spot.....that rookie might never get another chance, he may have been a contender someday, but the USADA took that day away....Its a professional sport, what have you done for us lately mentality for team selection, riders were denied the chance to do something....there were clean, why should the USADA do that to them?...what gave the USADA the right to affect clean riders this way, to have half a season, or more be poisoned by proven dopers ?...they are supposed to keep the sport clean, not assist dopers, and that they did, did G. H. not have "his day", his last race day, to be cheered as a "clean rider" as he crossed the finish, as people celebrated his "great career", which as the USADA knew was based on doping, according to their own documents released today....are you ok with that ?... because I'm not, and I'm sure a lot of people from that day, have a sour taste in their mouth from cheering him home....when he should have been suspended, the evidence was there, from his own mouth, and from others.

Yes there can be redemption, you will always have been "dirty", but only if you accept what you have done, and serve your time......David Millar is an example, 2 years, no soft 6 month "back suspension", 2 real years, with no money coming in, sleeping on couches, owned up to what he did, and lives with that "did drugs" label, worked damn hard to come back clean.....but not these guys, not if they get a 6 month backdated suspension, carry on next year, as suggested......it stinks, its not fair.

Very nice. Also, knowing what they know and who did what and what type of people are still in this sport and to not come clean without someone pressuring you??!! Christian, who uses Phinney as an example of the next generation that needs this cleansing was in RadioShack's feeder team!!

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]

OneGoodLeg wrote:
WTFoxtrot wrote:
TravisT wrote:
You mean in 30-some pages now just on this thread alone, you keep missing/ignoring the fact that LA, GH, Levi, et al regularly beat the tests over and over again? It might be true that almost everyone doped, but not that they'd all fail, guaranteed.

Good point for the pro's but I think it would work for the age groupers. Even if AG's are cheating I doubt very much it would be sophisticated drugs programmes like the pro's, just popping an amphetamine or something similar on course and that would be it. No doubt there would be a few with a more cuuning approach but not that many and at least there would be something in place to at least give a chance of catching them

Devlin wrote:
[
The haters will hate, the supporters will support, and only a few will change opinions. The hammering on the FB page is mostly the people that were haters or marginally so already.

John

There are many of us that don't hate or support but are simply glad the truth is out and wish LA would put Livestrong first and come clean with the public. The LA story of the "miracle of modern medicine" that allowed him to beat cancer and win the TdF 7 times created hope for many people. I don't think they are willing to acknowledge the facts because while the hope he gave people was false, it was hope nevertheless. I can understand that, I just don't believe it justifies or excuses the lies and fraud.

http://www.bobswims.com/

"If you didn't swallow water in your last open water race, you weren't racing"

Re: A Question Only [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]

BDoughtie wrote:
Do what they have done since the sanctions have been announced. Keep Lance off the start line, and lol hope like hell Lance/Livestrong dont start a "Livestrong" foundation series of triathlon races.

Actually it might be good if he did start a series of his own then the dopers can all go there and the majority of us can do WTC races at least knowing they are largely clean and with a body that does take it's anti doping policy serious to some degree even although it meant a short term loss in revenue and publicity. In the long term right will win out

Re: [nah] [ In reply to ]

some sad, funny stuff here.
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Oct 12, 12 2:36

Re: A Question Only [E=H2O] [ In reply to ]

Finally after consuming the rest of this thread I figured out why the names of other riders were blacked out or at least I think I figured it out because they are not under the USADA jurisdiction...

It's just sad that everyone was doing it so LA doesn't seem to be a villain here in my mind.

Re: Why no suspend baseball players for life? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

Devlin wrote:

2000, 2004 and 2008 pro's were allowed for baseball.

As I recall, the players in those years who were named to the national team selection pools were also subject to the WADC and fell under the OOC testing pools for their NADA.

Shane

Re: Why no suspend baseball players for life? [azironman] [ In reply to ]

azironman wrote:
I guess baseball used to be an olympic sport and was during some of the 7 time wins? And this isn't a pro or against argument for Lance...

I would argue that baseball had a systematic steroid and hgh problem for years and was complicit during that time until congress put pressure on baseball to do something.

At this stage it doesn't matter MLB didn't sign the WADA agreement. Neither did (surprise!) the NBA, the NFL, the NHL, and...the FIFA (big money sports). So they don't have to follow any of the WADA regulations. With that said, I'll admit, I'm not sure how they admit NBA and NHL players into the Olympics. As far as I know, no big name in soccer makes it to the olympics, so for FIFA it doesn't matter.

I think you're off on one thing. If you look around, many have changed their opinions. There is the list of those who've been saying for a while that there
was a lot of crap going on. There is the list of unconditional fans, but in the middle, there is a pretty significant number (which is still a minority, around 35% vs 65%)
who've changed their mind about Lance (against the nearly 90% or so who just thought he was clean, the best blah blah)...

Re: A Question Only [Francois] [ In reply to ]

You are right about people changing their opinions Francois, I certainly have over the past 6 months. However, I would still support Livestrong. Regardless of Lances bad deeds, this foundation is still important.

I wouldn't have a problem wearing a Livestrong bracelet and I wouldn't have a problem donating to Livestrong.

I think that the vast majority of Livestrong contributors will feel the same way.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Oct 12, 12 5:52

Re: Why no suspend baseball players for life? [Francois] [ In reply to ]

These leagues all have players' unions, which would surely laugh at any proposal to subject their members to WADA rules/regulations.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW

BDoughtie wrote:

It's not necessary to have "massive testing" and huge expenditures to have a very real and effective impact on AG doping. An intelligent and well-conceived program could be very effective on a relatively modest amount of money. The Grand Fondo busts show that a little can go a long way. (There are some heroes out there and Uli is one of them!) It wouldn't take that many well-publicized AG busts to have a very chilling effect on PED use by age groupers. The testing should be random but focused on high performers, it doesn't need to be omnipresent, but frequent enough that it will give pause to those that use PEDs. There's no need to test mop'ers.

I'd be quite happy to contribute to a fund for this purpose, or a modest fee increase. And that's all it would take. I don't feel that only top performers should carry the burden; cleaning up the sport is something we all should be willing to fund. It's not a matter of resources; it's a matter of finding the will to change the established order and take the relatively modest steps necessary to make a very substantial impact on AG PED use.

Re: A Question Only [Bman925] [ In reply to ]

>My understanding is that WTC is now owned by a VC company. They are not known for getting into business to lose money or identity. If IM races lose age groupers and their fees and valuable publicity at the same time, what do you think the reaction will be

You understand that WTC rid itself of Lance months ago? No reaction. WTC and the VC company understand that it's not wise to base a long-term business plan on a single personality. Their decision to stick with their stated policy looks pretty smart about now.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 12, 12 6:29

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]

Seriously, as long as there were a few busts, I don't think they'd need to *test* that many samples to be an effective deterrent for AGers. Collect a lot pee and test just enough to be credible.

Re: Why no suspend baseball players for life? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

Devlin wrote:
azironman wrote:
I guess baseball used to be an olympic sport and was during some of the 7 time wins? And this isn't a pro or against argument for Lance...

I would argue that baseball had a systematic steroid and hgh problem for years and was complicit during that time until congress put pressure on baseball to do something.

Aaaaand, I would bet that quite a few still do. The biggest hypocritical statement of the year was Melky Cabrera (sp) saying "Please take my name out of the batting title consideration, I don't want to win it tainted", but you can be damned sure he would have welcomed the award (And likely a fat contract bonus) if he hadn't tested positive. And I believe when Jacques Rogge was interviewed, he said WADA compliance was one of the criteria for which it might be allowed back in. (Oh, and baseball was official first in 1992 through 2008, so for all of LA's tenure).

John

And before they had him caught fully, he actually had a fake product added to a website he bought in order to try to make it look like he could have gotten the positive from a tainted supplement.

Re: Why no suspend baseball players for life? [pick6] [ In reply to ]

post 1000!

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]

It's not a matter of resources; it's a matter of finding the will to change the established order and take the relatively modest steps necessary to make a very substantial impact on AG PED use.

________

But it is about the resources. A doping program that has no teeth doesnt matter. IE, look at our program now.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [denali2001] [ In reply to ]

denali2001 wrote:
Seriously, as long as there were a few busts, I don't think they'd need to *test* that many samples to be an effective deterrent for AGers. Collect a lot pee and test just enough to be credible.

It might be a lot more economical to hire some goons to beat a confession out of any "suddenly fast" age groupers.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.

Prev Next