Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A Question Only [departed] [ In reply to ]

departed wrote:
gregf83 wrote:
departed wrote:
Nearly everyone from the EPO era has confessed by now (Bjarne, Jan, the discovery team, . . . .).
What makes you think that? I suspect there are many others who doped but didn't get caught and weren't forced to testify.

Agreed. But those who haven't confessed differ from Armstrong in that (a) they are smaller fish and have moved on quietly to lives outside cycling, and/or (b) have been quiet about the past and have not been proclaiming that they were clean in the EPO era. Thus, I see LA as largely standing alone proclaiming that he rode clean during the EPO era.
With all due respect, that is complete nonsense. By not saying anything or helping to disclose what went on they are equally culpable and implicitly claiming they were clean. So what if they were 'smaller fish', which is just a euphemism for poorer riders. Why should they get a free pass?

Quote:
Cycling fans like me may have doubts about all the winners of the TDF since LA, but none of them have gotten up on the soapbox like Lance making a big deal about being clean.
What about Contador? You think he has fessed up to everything he's taken? He's a doper too but I very much enjoyed watching the Vuelta this year and would be disappointed if he were eliminated from cycling.

Quote:
Cycling still as many problems, but there was never going to be any real healing until the biggest boil on its neck got lanced.
Without rigorous testing accompanied by the blood passport program, nothing will change independent of what happens to LA. It's more difficult, but not impossible, to dope now and that is due only to the framework in place for testing. Strengthen the framework to the point where gains from doping are small to insignificant and that will be good enough or me. I don't need perfection.

Re: A Question Only [pick6] [ In reply to ]

pick6 wrote:
Bman925 wrote:
The main difference here is that WTC is not a governing body. It is a company that elected to use the USADA to assist in doping controls. People have shown that USADA has not done a very good job of this for WTC. Following a review of the information provided by USADA and a serious conversation with their attorneys, my belief is this:

WTC will fire the USADA in their role as doping authority inasmuch as they have admitted as part of the Armstrong case they cannot provide an analytical positive. WTC will do its best to put together a legitimate anti-doping procedure using independent experts and reliable laboratories.

Brian

There's a simple answer to this: It won't happen. Why? Because WTC is a WADA signatory, which you missed in all this. They're not going to pull out of that. They cant fire USADA, as USADA falls under WADA. USADA also didn't admit they can't provide an analytical positive; Most of the samples during armstrongs time were administered by UCI; which armstrong wouldnt give USADA access to. If they did, and with the new EPO tests, it's almost a lock that he'd test positive if the samples from the tours were available for retesting by USADA.

Lance is done racing except his own series and the occasional unsanctioned race.

Just a couple of things:

Just because you are a WADA signatory now doesn't mean you have to be one forever. I haven't missed this. WTC like any company can do whatever they want. If that means blowing off WADA as well as USADA in favor of a different testing regimen there is no reason this should be a problem. Let's face it, WADA's record in catching cheats is lousy or they would have "cleaned up" cycling long ago.

As far as there being an analytical positive in the report that any lawyer worth his salt couldn't tear to shreds, please point it out to me. There was a post earlier where an attorney said that most of what was presented in the report was so poor that he "wished he was still a trial attorney".

I believe that Lance Armstrong doped. I also believe he will never admit it. All I'm saying is that after a substantial penalty and under a certain set of circumstances he could race again. I, personally, wouldn't mind seeing it.

Brian

Re: A Question Only [gregf83] [ In reply to ]

BS. How did they 'know' he was cheating yet not know anyone else was?

Lots of people "knew". Go back and read the books written about Lance, the masseuse's comments, the 1999 positive tests, the amount of times Lance threatened lawsuits etc. Now you have comments coming from riders (David Miller for example) saying that of course they all knew what was going on. The public, or more specifically those who refused to accept it, are the ones who refused to believe the accusations but a lot of writers and people with inside knowledge have always known. Lance just made it impossible for individuals to take him down because of his wealth and team of lawyers. A lot of the reporters and journalists wanted to be the ones to finally tell the truth and many did but many simply refused to believe.

Re: A Question Only [Bman925] [ In reply to ]

Let me start by saying that I believe that Lance doped.

You're really going out on a limb with that... :)

Re: A Question Only [FJB] [ In reply to ]

You missed my point. They also 'knew' about all the other riders who were doping but didn't choose to accuse or write about them. They write about the successful dopers and ignore the rest. You don't think GH would have come out with his lawyers had he been accused of doping in 2002?

The 'smoke' which caused Walsh and others to accuse and write about Lance doesn't appear out of thin air. It takes digging and research which is applied to the biggest fish, in this case LA.

Re: A Question Only [eganski] [ In reply to ]

Sarcasm, like jokes, is much funnier when you have to explain it.

That's just too good for pink.

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

I would imagine that UCI/team HQ's/sponsors are all scrambling a bit right now.

I agree. I did read Nike is standing by Lance but that is often a knee-jerk reaction and the amount of press and public reaction will be the deciding factor of course. I sense based on comments from other riders (Fabian and David Miller to name two) that this is gaining steam and not going away soon.

FJB wrote:
Let me start by saying that I believe that Lance doped.

You're really going out on a limb with that... :)

Naw, I just don't want to be seen as an unrepentant fan boy. :)

Now I just think the whole thing sucks.

Now I just think the whole thing sucks.

Eight words that sum up everything quite nicely.

Re: A Question Only [Francois] [ In reply to ]

you know it was said in jest...

We need a colour for jest too....maybe yellow? With all the Livestrong armbands being thrown away we could use more yellow.

Just came back from Cycling News reading the Bruyneel dismissal story and this was one of the ads at the bottom of the page: http://www.powercranks.com/Lance.html

Re: A Question Only [gregf83] [ In reply to ]

You missed my point. They also 'knew' about all the other riders who were doping but didn't choose to accuse or write about them. They write about the successful dopers and ignore the rest. You don't think GH would have come out with his lawyers had he been accused of doping in 2002?

OK, you have a good point. I agree they went after Lance far more aggressively but they usually do with the top guys. Ben Johnson was the most tested athlete in the world from 1980 to pre-Seoul partially because they tested the medal winners in each race and he won all of them. There were lots of journalists and others searching around for evidence of drug use, even going through his garbage and writing articles and I don't remember anyone doing that with the lesser known stars of the day (eg. Frankie Fredericks of Namibia).

I guess that is part of the deal when you are a superstar, people want to take you down.

Re: A Question Only [Scott Dinhofer] [ In reply to ]

so, while i don't agree that any of this justifies anything, Lance impacted many of us in ways that we can only begin to think about now, how different would our lives be if a brash American kid from Texas never won 7 TDFs?

This is the problem I have, it's always about Lance.

I wonder who different the lives would be for those riders who never got a chance to win the TDF because of people like Lance who cheated. There will be athletes with class and character who decided not to cheat and we will never know their names. They are the ones I feel badly for, not the ones who cheated to enrich themselves of money and fame.

Re: A Question Only [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]

Well I have been around in ri's longer than that and cycling and running even farther. Got my first nice wheels in 85. Still have my orange veloflex sew-up kit. Still have a bike with c-record and superbe. I am against Lance. So what the hell does that mean....How long you been in sport?. If longer is that why your a Lance lover. Has to do with time in sport?

Interesting take from Steve Tilford http://stevetilford.com/?p=22105
"I Have to call Bullshit"

Re: A Question Only [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]

Brilliant.

I wonder who different the lives would be for those riders who never got a chance to win the TDF because of people like Lance who cheated.

Well, it would appear that the list of "those riders" would be rather miniscule, based on all accounts of how widespread doping was...

Re: A Question Only [Mike C] [ In reply to ]

no the list would be long of all those that never made the pro ranks ////I feel I was cheated out of a ride on the tour and cheated out of a better living — and I’m no different to any rider at that time who took the decision not to dope and was not as successful as they should have been as a result,” wrote Smith. “As Lance was coming into the sport, cycling was starting to boom. There was serious money to be made and all those who went with Lance made serious money.”////
from this article http://velonews.competitor.com/...ng-dictionary_260740
Had a friend who quit when leaving jr's when he realized he would have to dope. Now a tri pro

Re: A Question Only [Kenney] [ In reply to ]

Kenney wrote:

Had a friend who quit when leaving jr's when he realized he would have to dope. Now a tri pro

If not for the USADA, Lance would have brought the sewer to triathlon and your friend would have had to switch to pro lawn bowling.

Triathlon dodged a bullet here.

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [cusetri] [ In reply to ]

cusetri wrote:
This is the part that truely sucks.....

All the guys who followed a dream, worked their asses off, have what it takes mentally, physically to be one of the best, put their enitre lives on hold; only to find out the choice they need to make, then turn around and go home....

They are true heros of sport, and no one will ever know who they are.......

Most powerful thing I've read in a while.
Well done.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com

Re: A Question Only [AmaDablam] [ In reply to ]

AmaDablam wrote:
Kenney wrote:

If not for the USADA, Lance would have brought the sewer to triathlon and your friend would have had to switch to pro lawn bowling.

Triathlon drug use is just below cycling. In 2009 3% of the samples were positive. There was no bullet dogded.

Re: A Question Only [Hanaki] [ In reply to ]

Hanaki wrote:
AmaDablam wrote:
Kenney wrote:

Triathlon drug use is just below cycling. In 2009 3% of the samples were positive. There was no bullet dogded.

You truly think that triathlon dopes just as much as cycling?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |

Re: A Question Only [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

Devlin wrote:
Hanaki wrote:
AmaDablam wrote:
Kenney wrote:

John

Never said as much. I was saying it was right below cycling in 2009. That is a fact. If you don't think drugs are being used in triathons then you are hiding your head in the sand. <--Looks like doping in cycling ending in 2006 -->pink

Re: A Question Only [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

Devlin wrote:
How could you tell one way or the other?

Re: A Question Only [Kenney] [ In reply to ]

Kenney wrote:
Well I have been around in ri's longer than that and cycling and running even farther. Got my first nice wheels in 85. Still have my orange veloflex sew-up kit. Still have a bike with c-record and superbe. I am against Lance. So what the hell does that mean....How long you been in sport?. If longer is that why your a Lance lover. Has to do with time in sport?

Kenny I have no idea what you are talking about. But I've been running and cycling since 1979 and did my first triathlon in 1983.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.

Prev Next