Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why no suspend baseball players for life? [departed] [ In reply to ]

departed wrote:
AaronT wrote:
post 1000!

Just because you say that and the moderator has put it into your post does not convince me that you had post 1000. There are all kind of uncertainties associated with your conclusion. Some people deleted posts. There are duplicate posts. Did you take that into account? Was each page of posts initialed by the moderator? Have you reviewed the algorithm that counts the number of posts? Has the post counting program ever taken and passed any counting tests? Before I believe that you had post 1000, I need hard scientific proof. Show me the test result. I've read not all of the posts and can't find it anywhere.

I have Cerebral Palsy (actually, I have a condition very similar, but not technically CP, I have to please the pedantic) as a result of a stroke at 4 months. I post on ST as a beacon of hope for disabled children. Why do you hate disabled children? Why do you want to take away their hope that one day they can be the person to post the 1000th post in a thread about he who shall not be named?

Post Script: In case you have no sense of humor (or soul) the above was tongue in cheek. I actually do have spastic hemiplegia.

Re: A Question Only [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]

BDoughtie wrote:
I think if races drop sanctioning to get Lance into them, it continues to cement the notion that triathlon is all about participation. The more races that allow Lance to race, the more mudding of the waters we will get and the less "legit" we become.

That's why I thought it was so interesting Rev3's take on letting Lance race in their race this past weekend. The negative image of having a doper "race" wasnt even a thought to them, they just wanted to raise more money/racers for their cause (not saying that that is bad...just kinda puts it into the prospective of why a race will do it).

Wouldn't "participation" be an accurate term for your involvement in triathlon?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.

Re: A Question Only [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]

I guess if we are going with the literal sense, everything is participation, is it not? But if we want to garner a sport that gets more and more consideration for elite development, then stuff like races allowing Lance to race will continue to be a hurdle this sport has to jump over.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com

BDoughtie wrote:
I guess if we are going with the literal sense, everything is participation, is it not? But if we want to garner a sport that gets more and more consideration for elite development, then stuff like races allowing Lance to race will continue to be a hurdle this sport has to jump over.

You are really pretty new to all this triathlon stuff aren't ya?

do that thing.

Re: A Question Only [jmh] [ In reply to ]

jmh wrote:
Francois wrote:
I wish I could believe him...

Have you read Hamiliton's book? You wouldn't if you belivetyler.

you know it was said in jest...

Re: Why no suspend baseball players for life? [AaronT] [ In reply to ]

You're going to have to choose another charity, because it was decided yesterday that Paulo was the 'beacon of hope' for children.

Re: Why no suspend baseball players for life? [Francois] [ In reply to ]

Francois wrote:
You're going to have to choose another charity, because it was decided yesterday that Paulo was the 'beacon of hope' for children.

Paulo is not crippled, ergo I am more inspirational and better suited at being the hope beacon!

Re: Why no suspend baseball players for life? [AaronT] [ In reply to ]

AaronT wrote:
Francois wrote:

Paulo is not crippled, ergo I am more inspirational and better suited at being the hope beacon!

Have you met him??? (Paulo, I know, you hate my guts, but that's still a joke ;-) )

Re: Why no suspend baseball players for life? [Francois] [ In reply to ]

Francois wrote:
AaronT wrote:
Francois wrote:

Have you met him??? (Paulo, I know, you hate my guts, but that's still a joke ;-) )

I have not met Paulo but I know one of his athletes and give him shit about Paulo online 'tude quite a bit. <3 you Paulo!

Re: A Question Only [windschatten] [ In reply to ]

Got it. Subtle. From TH's book:

Quote:
My secret weapon wasn’t a private jet or even Ufe. It was a short, wiry Italian man named Luigi Cecchini. I called him Cecco. Cecco was a trainer who lived in Lucca, near Bjarne. Bjarne had introduced me to him shortly after I’d signed, saying he could help me reach the next level. Cecco’s client list was top shelf: Ullrich, Pantani, Bugno, Bartoli, Petacchi, Cipollini, Cancellara, Casagrande. In fact, Cecco had helped revive Bjarne Riis’s back career back in the early 1990s; he was the reason Riis had bought a house near Lucca.
Coyle, Daniel; Hamilton, Tyler (2012-09-05). The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs

I'm NOT saying any of these guys (of course, other than those who already have been convicted or admitted to it) doped, but TH might be.

Suffer Well.

This is going to make for an awesome Hollywood movie.

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]

BDoughtie wrote:
It's not a matter of resources; it's a matter of finding the will to change the established order and take the relatively modest steps necessary to make a very substantial impact on AG PED use.
________

But it is about the resources. A doping program that has no teeth doesnt matter. IE, look at our program now.

The resources to have an impact on AG doping are not really that large in the big picture. You need just enough testing to produce some high profile AG busts and introduce fear and doubt into the minds of the dopers. I'd bet anything that if a fund was started for this purpose and donations solicited that could take care of the resources issue. I'll be happy to make a donation to such a cause on an annual basis and I bet others would as well. Triathletes are a pretty well heeled bunch and with the proper leadership and publicity a lot of progress could be made on this problem.

Re: A Question Only [camaleon] [ In reply to ]

camaleon wrote:
The Guardian wrote:
camaleon wrote:
Fabian:

"Today riders are again paying the price for what went wrong six or seven years ago. That's not fair. Lance has ensured that the early years of my career were wasted years. I hope that this time is finally behind us. It will not happen immediately, it takes time but it should happen.”
The Swiss rider continued by saying that he was hopeful the times were changing for the better. "Now I understand how US Postal was able to put eight or nine riders in the front on a mountain stage and drop all the others. In the 'golden years' it was all very simple, it was 'training and loading, training and loading. 'Loading', that's the term the riders use when they talk about doping. Nowadays, we work differently, more professionally, with more attention to detail. That's the cycling I believe in, not 'training and loading'. It's changed."

How can someone who is so immersed in cycling say only now does he understand how US postal was so good? The existence of doping has long been known to most who follow sport, so this statement comes off as disingenuous. I suppose the only explanation is that he didn't realise that almost everyone on USP was doping, but still.

x2

perhaps he didn't know that their program was so sophisticated?

What went wrong six or seven years ago? You mean what start to go right about six or seven years ago? Or what became more hidden starting six or seven years ago. Give me a break Fabian. I am not saying he ever doped, but the statement makes it seem like he could never have ever believed that anyone in cycling ever doped. EVER.

-- Aaron Davidson

Coaching for 5 years. You'll have to be the judge if its new/old for these parts.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2

Re: A Question Only [Francois] [ In reply to ]

Francois wrote:
jmh wrote:
Francois wrote:
I wish I could believe him...

Have you read Hamiliton's book? You wouldn't if you belivetyler.

you know it was said in jest...

I know that you know that I know that you know that I know it was in jest as you know that I know my response was also. I didn't think I had to use pink for you!

Please refer to eganski's quote:

Quote:
Yeah, that should've been in pink. Sarcasm, like jokes, is much funnier when you have to explain it.

The believetyler should have been the second hint.

Suffer Well.

I think this is the question to ask: was lance the first guy to dope?
to get to the top of the podium, did he have to dope to compete with others who were already doping?
Did he have to have his teammates dope in order to compete with the teams of the other dopers?

I think Hincapie's press release clearly points to a lot of this. Lance played a game, he played it better than anyone else and he got people to supporting him to play the game at the highest level. He could have said "no, i am not going to dope." If he did, would you know his name? Would someone else have won the TDF who WASN'T doping? Would he have successfully blown the whistle on the guys who were doping? would he have taken his fame (and fortune) and created livestrong? would he have raised the $ he has that have gone to cancer research and patient support? would anyone passionately raise $ for Livestrong as they have because of what he accomplished (tainted or not)? I don't want to agree with the doping, but if he never won a TDF, chances are i never would have heard of him and and a friend of mine who got into cycling and then tri, never would have, and i never would have met this friend, and my life would be emptier...

so, while i don't agree that any of this justifies anything, Lance impacted many of us in ways that we can only begin to think about now, how different would our lives be if a brash American kid from Texas never won 7 TDFs?

BDoughtie wrote:
Coaching for 5 years. You'll have to be the judge if its new/old for these parts.

First Olympic Triathlon in 2008? Been coaching for 5 years? Yeah, that sounds about right.

I bring this up because you are one of the more vocal Lance Armstrong haters.

Well, as they say "consider the source".

do that thing.

Just curious, what is the point your making?

Wanna call me a Lance hater? Nah go read up on my issue with the other cyclists and this whole "suspended" sentences that they received. So might want to check your facts, I'm simply against all doping in this sport.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2

pattersonpaul wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:

First Olympic Triathlon in 2008? Been coaching for 5 years? Yeah, that sounds about right.

I bring this up because you are one of the more vocal Lance Armstrong haters.

Well, as they say "consider the source".
He is? I think you are confused.

Francois wrote:
This is going to make for an awesome Hollywood movie.

The story needs to include the ugly Armstrong/Filippo Simeoni feud. I admit that as a Lance fan back in the day, I overlooked this although I thought it smelled bad at the time.

For those that don't remember, here is an article on cyclingnews. I found it interesting and sad to read again the stage report from 2004.

This little bit of bittersweet justice provided by the USADA case against Armstrong, Bruyneel, et al, illustrates the main point of the investigation: the TRUTH. Sunlight is the best disinfectant, those who nitpick the cost, process, the timing, the penalties, etc. miss the point that knowing the TRUTH is good and will do good for cycling in the future.

Armstrong has jumped the shark. His supporters will fall off, one by one until he is alone, the last man standing telling a story no one believes. Nearly everyone from the EPO era has confessed by now (Bjarne, Jan, the discovery team, . . . .). When I think of the current state of Lance Armstrong, I think of the Swift quote from the beginning of the book Confederacy of Dunces:

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev

or scenes from "True Blood."
Last edited by: TriBeer: Oct 12, 12 13:44

BDoughtie wrote:
I think if races drop sanctioning to get Lance into them, it continues to cement the notion that triathlon is all about participation. The more races that allow Lance to race, the more mudding of the waters we will get and the less "legit" we become.

That's why I thought it was so interesting Rev3's take on letting Lance race in their race this past weekend. The negative image of having a doper "race" wasnt even a thought to them, they just wanted to raise more money/racers for their cause (not saying that that is bad...just kinda puts it into the prospective of why a race will do it).

I dont think it has anything to do with cementing the notion of participation; what it would really cement is that making money is more important than the integrity of our sport.

Which, by the way, it's not. (Not that I need to tell you that). And I dont agree for a second that Rev3 didnt think about it, i think they marketed it the right way and said the right things, but they had no idea what to expect (I was told that specifically), and my guess is while they'd do it again, they'd have walked the tightrope with USAT for the olympic race first, and there's no shot they'd sign on for administering Lances livestrong series.

Re: A Question Only [departed] [ In reply to ]

departed wrote:
Nearly everyone from the EPO era has confessed by now (Bjarne, Jan, the discovery team, . . . .).
What makes you think that? I suspect there are many others who doped but didn't get caught and weren't forced to testify.

Re: A Question Only [gregf83] [ In reply to ]

gregf83 wrote:
departed wrote:
Nearly everyone from the EPO era has confessed by now (Bjarne, Jan, the discovery team, . . . .).
What makes you think that? I suspect there are many others who doped but didn't get caught and weren't forced to testify.

Agreed. But those who haven't confessed differ from Armstrong in that (a) they are smaller fish and have moved on quietly to lives outside cycling, and/or (b) have been quiet about the past and have not been proclaiming that they were clean in the EPO era. Thus, I see LA as largely standing alone proclaiming that he rode clean during the EPO era.

Cycling fans like me may have doubts about all the winners of the TDF since LA, but none of them have gotten up on the soapbox like Lance making a big deal about being clean.

Cycling still as many problems, but there was never going to be any real healing until the biggest boil on its neck got lanced.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev

Re: A Question Only [departed] [ In reply to ]

Quote:
But finally the last thing I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics. I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people. I'll be a fan of the Tour de France for as long as I live. And there are no secrets - this is a hard sporting event and hard work wins it. "So Vive le Tour for ever. Thank you!"

Suffer Well.

Prev Next