Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great Jim, thanks again!
So really it sounds more like tamper proofing than bonding. Either way it's a lot better than I thought.

Okay, perhaps the IA14 will stay on order :)

I've got a set of Swiss Side Hadron wheels already ordered too. 62.5mm front and 85mm rear. As it stands the wheels are due in early January (rear wheel is on backorder)and the IA14 should arrive sometime in January (TBC).
Last edited by: Ai_1: Dec 8, 15 6:33
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. Someone with non-Di2 will have to weigh in.

It's a bad design either way. I've yet to see anyone say how much they like it or how useful it is.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's a shame as it was originally one of the things I liked about the bike.
I have to assume the design issues are a result of trying to side-stepping patents. I can't imagine anyone at Felt thought they'd got this right. Just look at the difference between early sketches showing a sizable food/hydration system and the shallow storage with no provision for hydration that made it into the bike they released. It makes little sense to hang stuff on the outside of a vehicle designed for speed when there's room on the inside. Structural issues could stand in the way but they already have the volume and the opening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized is what stood in Felt's way. The IA was supposed to have a bladder system.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Specialized is what stood in Felt's way. The IA was supposed to have a bladder system.
That's what I thought. It's ridiculous IMO that something this simple and obvious is patentable. There should be a reward for investments in R&D and so forth and therefore patents are a necessity but when abused this becomes a tool of bullies and an obstacle to further innovation.
There are plenty manufacturers making backpacks with bladders. What's the difference?
Specialized have a history of questionable IP litigation if I'm not mistaken. Didn't they try and sue a guy for calling his café Roubaix or something like that? This is a bit different but I'm still not a fan.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone tell me what cassette this has? It says Shimano 12-28 but doesn't give the series. I am assuming it is ultegra but from looking online it seems like this is a really rare combo to buy. I need to get another one for my race wheels and I'm kind of at a loss.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IA 14 has a 105 cassette. Not sure on the 10 though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any 12-28 Shimano cassette will work on your race wheels. It's probably Ultegra on the IA10 though.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [kscheiris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kscheiris wrote:
Any 12-28 Shimano cassette will work on your race wheels. It's probably Ultegra on the IA10 though.
Or indeed, I think it would be an advantage to go with a different range cassette so you can swap them as needed to have the most appropriate cassette for the race. e.g. You could have a 12-25 for flatter races and the 12-28 for hillier stuff or training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm not good at this internet thing but I can't find a 12-28 combo in any 11 speed option from shimano. Do you think they have a typo and mean 11-28? That is far more common.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picked my IA10 up today and it is a 105 11-28. TriRig brake to deliver tomorrow. Very excited about this bike.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7ofClubs wrote:
Picked my IA10 up today and it is a 105 11-28. TriRig brake to deliver tomorrow. Very excited about this bike.

I'm going to assume this is a typo then...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you use different training/ race wheels of different width get a tririg for the rear as well...easiest way to dial in the rear brakes, again if you change out wheels often.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after using an IA for a season of races from sprint to IM I agree the IA bento to not great for loading up gels or bars. Its not that there is not enough room (although that's part of the issue) but the ability to get in there and remove those items at the bottom of the box is pretty difficult. I use Bonk Breakers in HIM and IM and I could fit 3 maybe, but to get that last one out is tough unless you rip off the cover, which is not advisable in aero going 20 mph. Al long, wide opening would have been easier to get items in and out.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know..thank you. Fortunately I use my 404s for both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered my IA10 the first week in November...super excited to get it! Anyone know where the lead times on these bikes sit currently or about when I should it expect it in?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really, does your shop have others?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should take that as a sign that it will be a while?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [cairodog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes they do...Podium Multisport in Atlanta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
BryanD wrote:

That's what I thought. It's ridiculous IMO that something this simple and obvious is patentable. There should be a reward for investments in R&D and so forth and therefore patents are a necessity but when abused this becomes a tool of bullies and an obstacle to further innovation.
There are plenty manufacturers making backpacks with bladders. What's the difference?
Specialized have a history of questionable IP litigation if I'm not mistaken. Didn't they try and sue a guy for calling his café Roubaix or something like that? This is a bit different but I'm still not a fan.

This was the Felt IA before Specialized stepped in

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here it is with the TriRig installed. I rode it for the first time this past weekend and do not have a bad thing to report. Actually...I love it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice!

Can you fit 24oz bottles on both seat tube and down tube at the same time?
What size is your IA 10?
Last edited by: boki: Dec 15, 15 17:21
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [boki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a 54. You can fit a cage on the down tube but it will only fit something the size of a Specialized "keg" storage container. I did not like the way it looked so I just left the one. If I had to guess I would bet someone is working on accessories for all the mounts.

Also, my Sitero saddle's rear bottle mount will NOT work with the seat post. I am on the fence about the calpac's opening, it kinda of reminds me of trying to jam your finger in a tic tac box. Plenty of room inside but the opening is not the best. I am an infinit user so it is not a big deal but once again I have the feeling there are going to be options down the road. There is way too much opportunity for a company like XLab not to jump all over it.

For the next few months most of my miles will be on the trainer so I will just wait to see what comes out or other STers come up with. I love the ride..it wants to go fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the info.

That kinda sucks. Actually it double sucks, since I'm on a Sitero too and I'm super happy with the rear bottle mount setup.
I'll most likely go with size 56 but I doubt that there is any significant difference space wise in seat tube/down tube area.
I'd need seat tube/down tube bottles just for training. For racing no bottles or aero bottle.

I'm using Vitargo for my nutrition so, calpac is not that important to me although it would be nice to have different options...

Felt did great job with the IAx market wise and it will sell a bunch so, any smart accessory company should act fast to offer some different options.

Just a thought - maybe it would be possible to put a 24oz bottle on a down tube and for the seat tube use a bottle cage adapter. The Xlab has one. They call it an XLAB Aero Cage Optimizer Bottle Cage Adapter. There are some other adapters too... Maybe you can try it and let me/us know if it works? I would try it myself but I'm getting my IA 10 at the end of January.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [boki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Believe me I was bummed about the Sitero as well, it was such a nice clean look. X-lab produces a "Sidekick" cage that might work. I will order a couple and circle back. Worst case I have to put them on my mountain bike..
Quote Reply

Prev Next