Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Dave, I just need a bit of clarification. If I were to order an IA 10 today, the steerer would be precut for the stock stem before I unboxed the thing?

This is a pretty crutial piece if you were planning to customize this bike. Any info on how high the stack is on the stock stem?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [kscheiris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kscheiris wrote:
So Dave, I just need a bit of clarification. If I were to order an IA 10 today, the steerer would be precut for the stock stem before I unboxed the thing?
This is a pretty crutial piece if you were planning to customize this bike. Any info on how high the stack is on the stock stem?

The complete bike comes with the steerer cut for their respective integrated stems which include internal cable routing.
The stack on the stem is fairly standard at 40mm but it also includes the headset cover for the compression device.
Stem swaps on new bikes will most likely require new forks.

What about the stock stem requires changing for you?

IA10 framesets come with the fork uncut.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The allure of the IA10 to me, is to be a lot more creative with the options. I might get one and be in love with the current stem and bar combo but I would at least like the option.

When will the IA10 frameset be available?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [kscheiris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kscheiris wrote:
The allure of the IA10 to me, is to be a lot more creative with the options. I might get one and be in love with the current stem and bar combo but I would at least like the option.
When will the IA10 frameset be available?

I'm expecting the IA10 framesets to start shipping in March.
You can change the bar on the stock bike but if you change the stem you'll lose the internal cable routing. The stock stem has a 31.8mm bar bore clamp.
-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
A TriRig front end can be used with an IA10 frameset but I think the stem stack on the TriRig is too tall for the production bike.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Our Alpha X and Sigma X stems have a very short 29mm clamping zone. So they should be just fine for swapping out on the production bike. They also come with their own ultra low 1mm dust cap, meaning that the total steerer tube needed is very little. Just 27mm or so when you account for the 3mm you leave below the top cap. Users should have no problem swapping to our hardware even on cut IA forks.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

A TriRig front end can be used with an IA10 frameset but I think the stem stack on the TriRig is too tall for the production bike.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Our Alpha X and Sigma X stems have a very short 29mm clamping zone. So they should be just fine for swapping out on the production bike. They also come with their own ultra low 1mm dust cap, meaning that the total steerer tube needed is very little. Just 27mm or so when you account for the 3mm you leave below the top cap. Users should have no problem swapping to our hardware even on cut IA forks.

There is a custom top cap that fits the frame and box if you're using a standard stem. The head tube is not round so a round 1mm cover isn't going to be very useful.
Are you setting up your IA10 this way?

-SD

Last edited by: SuperDave: Nov 9, 15 8:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds awesome. When is the Alpha X in stock again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question for SuperDave: Some early pictures of the IA10 appear to have a different rear brake than what is on the production models. Is that accurate? And, can the pictured center pull FSA brake go onto the production models?

[ from http://www.active.com/...w-ia-10-12-14?page=2 ]
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
Question for SuperDave: Some early pictures of the IA10 appear to have a different rear brake than what is on the production models. Is that accurate? And, can the pictured center pull FSA brake go onto the production models?

[ from http://www.active.com/...w-ia-10-12-14?page=2 ]

The plan is to include the FSA rear brake just as soon as we can. The FSA brake is a nice tidy package and allows powermeters like Pioneer and Stages to be used. The Shimano brake shipping on the bikes now does not fit these inboard, non-drive crank arm powermeters.

The IA-x was to begin shipping last summer but production difficulties with the brake prevented shipment so the Shimano brakes were substituted to fill the growing list of backorders.

I don't expect the FSA brake to make it on production models this year.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay. Thanks. Sounds like I can get one from FSA and swap it out.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
Okay. Thanks. Sounds like I can get one from FSA and swap it out.

I just replied to your email that you'd sent to Craig, those ee brakes fit, too.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you kindly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
TriRig wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

Dave

Hey Dave,

There is a custom top cap that fits the frame and box if you're using a standard stem. The head tube is not round so a round 1mm cover isn't going to be very useful.
Are you setting up your IA10 this way?

-SD

Well, I don't have the IA10 yet, so I can't confirm 100%. But I'm extremely confident that the Alpha X is both compatible, and will be a beautiful aero and aesthetic match with the IA and its box. Just for clarification, the Alpha X and Sigma X can use any standard top cap and dust cap, you don't have to use the ones included with the bar.

And to be perfectly fair, I want to go on record (again) to say that I really love the Bayonet 3 bar that comes with the bike. At $299 for the complete system, I don't think there's better bang-for-buck out there. Super adjustable, weight competitive, and probably nothing more aero in its price category. Of course, I'll be swapping out for something that's decidedly outside of its price category :-)

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Can you confirm if the bike ships with a full set of hardware for the Bayonet 3 bar? i.e. any spacers, bolts and bridges you'd need to raise the pads and aerobars to the maximum allowable. Or does this require purchase of a separate hardware pack? Due to the info you've provided in the last few posts it seems it's fairly critical to have the hardware to hand as I won't be able to make do with steerer spacers or a flipped stem while waiting for parts to arrive!

Thanks for all the info BTW!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

Any idea how much faster the Alpha X bar is compared to the Felt Bayonet on the IA?
Is it in anyway possible to get the Alpha X on the original IA's or only on the new lesser integrated IA's?

Felt IA and the Alpha X bar would be so awesome :D
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Dave,

Can you confirm if the bike ships with a full set of hardware for the Bayonet 3 bar? i.e. any spacers, bolts and bridges you'd need to raise the pads and aerobars to the maximum allowable. Or does this require purchase of a separate hardware pack? Due to the info you've provided in the last few posts it seems it's fairly critical to have the hardware to hand as I won't be able to make do with steerer spacers or a flipped stem while waiting for parts to arrive!

Thanks for all the info BTW!

Yes, complete aftermarket parts kit ships with the IA10 and IA14.
Before you cross reference fit on your current set up and decide to raise the aerobars I'd recommend checking if the next largest frame size fits. The method of sizing your IA with a top tube dimension is pretty useless since the 2cm increments in the frame length are far less than the 100mm+ adjustment in fore-aft on the arm pads.

The bigger the frame, the less the drag.

-SD

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [KnudsenDenmark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KnudsenDenmark wrote:
Hi Nick,

Any idea how much faster the Alpha X bar is compared to the Felt Bayonet on the IA?
Is it in anyway possible to get the Alpha X on the original IA's or only on the new lesser integrated IA's?

Felt IA and the Alpha X bar would be so awesome :D

I can't confirm 100%, but I'm fairly confident that Alpha X would work on the original IA as well. Regarding the Bayonet 3, we have a little aero data about it, see our wind tunnel studies for Alpha Classic and Alpha X. Thanks!

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just came home with my new baby today. I only got a little time to ride before the sun went down but I did go up and then down one of the biggest steepest hills I have ever ridden on and, for the record, I totally felt that the rear brake worked every bit as well as anything I've ever had. I did not personally notice any difference. If I was riding with my eyes shut, I'd have no idea there was anything different. I'm LOVING the electronic shifting. This is my first bike with Di2 and I have to say it is SWEEEET!!! I may end up swapping out the saddle but I will need more time on the stock saddle to make that decision. I probably won't get out much until next Spring. Thankfully my local dealer was very considerate of the time of year and told me to come back in sometime in the Spring once I've had more time to ride it and get some final adjustments as needed. I threw on my new BTA hydration quickly, but otherwise these photos are of the bike from the shop. It looks a little neutered with the stock wheels, but I am hoping to jump in on the November sale of the FLOs to get a set of racing wheels. The only knit-picky critique I might make so far is perhaps the bento box. The pre-cut flap really doesn't open up enough to really access the bulk of the holder which really dips down further back (towards the front of the bike). I could see perhaps carefully cutting it back a little more but then I'd be afraid it might just continue ripping as time goes on and eventually fall apart, and or the little rubber hooks will rip off over time. I might think that making this out of some type of plastic might be a bit more sturdy but who knows. I'll play with it. I am hoping it will work out, but I'm just afraid that it will end up being a pain in the long run. We shall see. I am very excited to finally have a real tri bike going into my fourth year in the sport though. Sounds like these are very popular all ready this year. The dealer said they are all ready 200% oversold on the IA10s so I'm lucky I got my order in so early.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great looking bike but why is the saddle angled like that?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said, some adjustments still need to be done. The fitter at the shop set this up with me being in a more aggressive position than I have been in the past (about 30-40 mm lower up front). I believe my hip flexibility is lacking, and as a result, in order for the saddle to be comfortable and allow my sit bones to be sitting flat on the saddle it needs about 3 degrees of tilt. The photo actually seems to make the saddle look as though it is tilted quite a bit more forward than it really is. In the end I have a feeling that once I get some more time on it, I may actually have to raise the front end a little bit from where it is at now. My RETUL fitted position was not this aggressive. I figured for the time being I'll see how it works out and see if I can get used to it, but again, I may need to make some adjustments next Spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave,

Can you in any way confirm if the Alpha X will fit on my Felt IA4 or only on the newer IA X models?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KnudsenDenmark wrote:
Hi Dave,

Can you in any way confirm if the Alpha X will fit on my Felt IA4 or only on the newer IA X models?

Thanks.

I've never seen an Alpha X bar so I'm not sure how the cable routing works.
The IA4 has a stem option with a 31.8mm clamp so it is likely the bar could fit the stem.

What about your IA4 do you not like?

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KnudsenDenmark wrote:
Hi Dave,

Thanks.

it will absolutely not fit on the IA. The original Alpha would fit you used the adapter stem that allows you to use 31mm bars. But the Dagger bar on the IA4 is about as fast and adjustable (well it does not have pad tilt, but neither does the alpha) as any other bar out there, so there is not really any gain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
KnudsenDenmark wrote:
Hi Dave,

Thanks.

The IA4 has a stem option with a 31.8mm clamp so it is likely the bar could fit the stem.

-SD

The Alpha X has an integrated stem, so I do not think it will work on the IA4.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
KnudsenDenmark wrote:
Hi Dave,

Thanks.

-SD

The Alpha X has an integrated stem, so I do not think it will work on the IA4.

The IA4 has an 1.125" steerer so it may.
I just think you'd lose the aero benefit of the integrated front end/cover/etc.
One of our engineers runs his IA with a standard road stem and drop bars.

-SD

Quote Reply

Prev Next