Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not on the GU website yet. Hopefully soon.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think GU manufacturers those, probably had a 3rd party print their names on it. Those are just soft flasks. Check Runners Warehouse, Hydrapak, Salomon or Ultimate Direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search "inov-8 flask" and "omm flexi" on wiggle, for different sizes and prices.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size is equal to the hammer gel flask that holds about 5 gels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't used anything from Hammer myself, but reading
http://www.hammernutrition.com/...s/hammer-gel.hg.html
they seem to say that 645 ml is 26 servings, i.e. one is 25 ml. So the smallest bottle from OMM (235 ml) and Inov-8 (250 ml) take up to 9-10 servings.

The material is very flexible so easy to squeeze into pretty much any shape and size. I recently bought the Inov-8 one, but haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. Don't have an IA, but was looking for something flexible to put some strong Tailwind nutrition mixture in.

Have been thinking about giving the 325 ml straw model from OMM a try also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey folks, sorry if this has already been addressed elsewhere.....Just starting to look at these, in particular, the IA 1 module. I seem to remember some people having issues with their rear brakes on the Felts getting gummed up/stuck really easily.
Has this been fixed? Is there a cover over the rear brake on the IA 1??

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the FRD since it came out. Never had any issues with the brakes. I do think most of the time these issues are due to badrouting of the cables or incorrect installation. I have assembled quit a bit of them. But i can say for the rear brake on the DA, although much more complicated, when you know the trick it works fine. But don t let the stories on the rear brake hold you back. It is the greatest bike i have owned so far

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The IA bento box looks quite small though, what's the approx size? The rigid part below the cap on the Inov-8 is about 60*35mm, oval-shaped. I can just about fit it, with 200ml fluid, into a Dark Speed Works 483. The DSW is quite low at the back end, so can't really utilize all available space there, not with 200ml.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are these bikes to work on, and in particular to take apart for travel? Anyone here do some races this year and have to pack and unpack these into an EVOC bike bag? How does it compare to an easy bike to pack/unpack like the P3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The IA bento is quite small and after doing a half on Saturday, I've confirmed its impossibly impractical to use while in aero. A lot of fiddling around. I don't know what the thinking on this was but it really is a poor design. A slit down the middle would make a lot more sense. I ended up having three gels in the bento because it doesn't hold much more and stuffed probars in my pockets.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey SuperDave,
any updates on the release date for IA 16?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [dannyJACdani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or the frame set? Was advised my slice frame is "unsafe" (carbon crack) after just paying to upgrade my groupo to di2. It's a sad, sad day, especially since I covet the IAx, but can't wait 5 months for a new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [dannyJACdani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dannyJACdani wrote:
Hey SuperDave,
any updates on the release date for IA 16?

Still Spring.
Consumers keep buying IA10 and IA14 and ceasing production on those sold bikes to make IA10 frames and IA16 bikes is not a wise use of the limited number of frames we can produce.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was really excited about getting an IA14 when I ordered it several weeks ago. I really liked the original IA from the time it was released and I thought the change to a conventional front end and a price within my budget made it an easy decision. My only concern initially was the fit but then I decided there was plenty adjustment available and I'd be fine. I was really looking forward to getting my new bike!

Unfortunately, the more I find out about the bike the less and less convinced I've become.
I still really like what the bike is supposed to be but it seems to have 2 fairly fundamental issues (for me):

1. Bento box - I don't think I've seen anyone who owns the bike complement the bento box. When I saw a IA4 in a LBS shortly after ordering my IA14 I noticed the bento box was much smaller than I expected, the cover didn't fit terribly well or seem very secure and the hatch seemed fiddly. All of these initial concerns have been raised by others here so obviously it's not just me being too picky. The problem is that the bento box being a permanent feature means you can't use an aftermarket item instead. The spot's already occupied. I've even been contemplating how I could fabricate my own replacement cover to increase the volume and make it more practical. I'm sure I could do something decent but it would be a lot of work to do it properly.

2. I've been riding a converted road bike to date which has limited my ability to refine my position. I think the IA would be okay but I may need the max stack of spacers under pads. I might be able to get lower over time but I'm not sure yet (minor neck problem). I was originally satisfied that if necessary I could use a few stem spacers and if the worst came to the worst I could dispense with the nice purpose designed stem and put on a standard one with a different angle, or even flip it. Then I found out that none of this is an option. While the front end is now somewhat conventional, the bikes will be supplied without spacers and with the steerer cut too short to use a conventional stem.

It's frustrating because these both seem like issues it would be very simple for Felt to address. The first seems to be a pretty universal criticism and while the second may not be an issue for many, I'm sure it will be for some. I can only presume the decision to supply these with the steerer cut is based on getting the stem level with the bento box and the cables exiting as intended but I don't think this is the only or best way to solve that problem.

So, I think I'm going to cancel my order. I may get a Cervelo P2 or a Felt B12 instead. :(
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For problem 1: Take the cloth bento box of your choice that fits the size of the Calpac, remove the Calpac from the frame, screw the new bento into place using the Calpac screws (through the cloth bottom), and then cut the bottom out of it. Boom, nice deep and easy to access bento.

Problem 2: Not much you can do if a bike doesn't fit you. Not every bike can fit every athlete, but the IAx series come pretty close.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
For problem 1: Take the cloth bento box of your choice that fits the size of the Calpac, remove the Calpac from the frame, screw the new bento into place using the Calpac screws (through the cloth bottom), and then cut the bottom out of it. Boom, nice deep and easy to access bento.

Problem 2: Not much you can do if a bike doesn't fit you. Not every bike can fit every athlete, but the IAx series come pretty close.

Thanks Jim

Problem 1: I was originally thinking I would simply replace the existing calpac with my own solution as you suggest (I was thinking of fabricating something bespoke but I do like your suggestion - very straightforward and much easier). However, Dave commented earlier in the thread that the calpac is actually bonded in place, not just screwed in and also that removing it would void the frame warranty so any solution would have to involve only removing the calpac cover and perching something on top of the existing "tray" and the protrusions for holding the original silicone cover in place. That means you can't expand the volume downwards, introduces obstacles and probably denies you the re-use of existing mounting screws. Just makes the whole idea very fiddly and compromised.

Problem 2: Yep, I think it'll fit well, simply a question of how that fit is achieved. I'd like to ability to raise the basebar and/or remove some of the armrest spacers should the need arise. The only thing stopping that is a pre-trimmed steerer which is frustrating.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Dec 7, 15 8:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The calpac is certainly not bonded in place. It is like jim says just screwed in the frame with some tiny screws.
I cut the bottom out of the calpac and create a much deeper unit by just creating a sort of extended bottom from, yes, seriously, duck tape. Sits there for more then a full season. It now fit a spare tire, tire levers, co2 cartridge and of top of that just at the entry you can flip up a couple of gels.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-run wrote:
The calpac is certainly not bonded in place. It is like jim says just screwed in the frame with some tiny screws.
I cut the bottom out of the calpac and create a much deeper unit by just creating a sort of extended bottom from, yes, seriously, duck tape. Sits there for more then a full season. It now fit a spare tire, tire levers, co2 cartridge and of top of that just at the entry you can flip up a couple of gels.

Can SuperDave confirm one way or the other? They have made bigger ones in the past:

http://www.tririg.com/...A_Carfrae&num=21

It seems like such an easy upgrade if it's as simple as unscrewing one and inserting the other.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a custom version for Mirinda Carfrae

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
That was a custom version for Mirinda Carfrae

I know, I think I was trying to show that it was removable somehow and that there is room to spare in the frame. Still waiting for confirmation on the removable part.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the original IA thread. More then enough pictures and confirmation. And the pic you posted of rinny s custom calpac show you the small holes in the corners where the screws sit.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-run wrote:
Take a look at the original IA thread. More then enough pictures and confirmation. And the pic you posted of rinny s custom calpac show you the small holes in the corners where the screws sit.

I knew there were screws but Superdave had previously indicated that the calpac was also bonded in. I thought it was in this thread but on a quick search I can't see the post. Perhaps it was in another thread.
Has someone with a new IA10 or IA14 taken out the calpac who can confirm either way. It would be great news if it's really NOT bonded!
Last edited by: Ai_1: Dec 8, 15 4:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was not bonded in place on my IA10 because we easily took it out to reroute junction boxes and wires.

Looking at the Rinny version that setup would have to come in from the top rather than reach in from behind or I don't see how you could reach down so far with the limited rear opening.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
It was not bonded in place on my IA10 because we easily took it out to reroute junction boxes and wires....
That's brilliant, thanks!

...and we're sure it's not just the Di2 versions they leave unglued? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's technically "bonded" into place, but it's just one of the screws covered with glue. A small pick gets the glue out and you simply replace that screw with one of the extras that come with the bike. It's a T-9 torx, and you should invest in a small T-9 screwdriver if you're going to own this bike as the same screws hold the junction box cover on. Your life will be much easier.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply

Prev Next