Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [roy utah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is the target market for these bikes. WTC and just about every other long course race does not follow UCI rules in regards to bike specifications. Only ITU WCs are *potentially* subject to the UCI bike rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roy utah wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I see a lot of people mention whether certain bikes are UCI legal or not. After using the search function for the forum and a little googling, I still have the following question - Are UCI - illegal bikes allowed in Ironman races? I am looking at the Felt IA 16, which is UCI - illegal from what I understand. Would I be able to use it in Ironman Wisconsin?
Yes. Unless you are racing TT at a world class level or in Europe, you can race UCI illegal bikes without issue. That includes all Ironman events worldwide.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roy utah wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I see a lot of people mention whether certain bikes are UCI legal or not. After using the search function for the forum and a little googling, I still have the following question - Are UCI - illegal bikes allowed in Ironman races? I am looking at the Felt IA 16, which is UCI - illegal from what I understand. Would I be able to use it in Ironman Wisconsin?

Ironman races are not UCI races and do not follow UCI rules and regulations. The Felt IA is perfectly legal to race in an Ironman event. Beam bikes like the Falco and Dimond are also UCI illegal, but those are legal to race in Ironman events.

If you wanted to do a UCI TT the felt IA would be illegal and could not be used. Some tri bikes like the Felt DA, and trek speed concept for example are UCI legal and could be used in UCI and non UCI events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roy utah wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

UCI legality is really only an issue for UCI sanctioned events and the UCI aren't involved in triathlon.
If you wanted to do competitive cycling time trials then it would possibly be a problem.
The IA is ideal for Ironman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks like it might be the ia16

https://instagram.com/p/BAwvMRXCZXI/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Nat_gt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice find. Let's hope Felt start shipping these soon.

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [joelcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I think that's the best looking IA yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice find, looks sweet.

My LBS has a 2015 IA 4 on sale for $3,500. Trying to decide between that one, or either the 2016 IA 16 ($3,000) or 2016 IA 14 ($4,000). Hmmm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roy utah wrote:
Nice find, looks sweet.

My LBS has a 2015 IA 4 on sale for $3,500. Trying to decide between that one, or either the 2016 IA 16 ($3,000) or 2016 IA 14 ($4,000). Hmmm...
It's not even close. That IA4 is a winner.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't disagree more. The IAx series have better geometry, are more adjustable allowing for a faster overall position for the majority of athletes, have better options for hydration/nutrition storage, and are easier to own/maintain/travel with.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Couldn't disagree more. The IAx series have better geometry, are more adjustable allowing for a faster overall position for the majority of athletes, have better options for hydration/nutrition storage, and are easier to own/maintain/travel with.
I concede it has better hydration/nutrition storage with the addition of that cage mount on the back of the seat tube and that it's a bit easier to maintain and travel with due to the more accessible front brake, but I think it's a marginal improvement. How important that is will depend on the athlete's preferences. The IA4 has a stiffer carbon layup from what I understand and a slightly better aero profile. Additionally, at $3500 the shop is giving the thing away.

I don't think there is any significant difference in geometry in regards to pad x/y. The pads are attached to the extensions and telescope significantly, making reach adjustment easy on both bikes. We've had a few cases where the IA is simply too narrow for some athletes.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lower, longer and, most importantly, you can angle the extensions and pads independent of the base bar which, for the overwhelming majority of athletes, is far more comfortable and 10-15 watts more aero. The traditional IA is not even close that much more aero than the IAx, especially at 0-7 degrees of yaw, which we now know is where we spend the vast majority of the time riding. I would guarantee anyone that I could get them more aero on an IA10 over an IA FRD any day of the week. Why is anyone still talking about laterall stiffness??

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use the same stem and bar setup on the IA4 that you can on the IA10. That will add some cost, but I think your assurances of wattage improvement are a bit overstated, as it will depend on the athlete. No doubt, I strongly prefer angular adjustment of the extension and pads the same as you for many athletes.

While the lateral stiffness on the IAx versus the IA might not affect performance, I assure you lateral stiffness is still relevant when you compare an accordion like the Kestrel 4000D versus some of the better, modern bikes.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do uou say that your LBS does have the IA16 on stock???

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, sorry if it came across that way. They don't have any 2016 felts, but i would order it from them once they're available
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I defy anyone to show me data of power loss from lack of lateral stiffness from any modern carbon frame; it's right up there with weight as one of the biggest lies/myths in bike sales. The Dimond, for instance, is not a "laterally stiff' bike at all, but there's no doubt it performs very, very well.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new IA 16 is pretty high on my shortlist. Happy to come down to your store to check it out when they start shipping.

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The IA4 would be a hard deal to pass up. I will say the cage flexibility is a plus in favor of the IAx. Whatever you choose be prepared the bike is a damn guided missile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Unless you are racing TT at a world class level or in Europe, you can race UCI illegal bikes without issue.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Most USAC U.S. national championships, including juniors and masters, can be subject to UCI.

Those are quite a bit lower-level than "world class."

For example here are the rules for the U.S. amateur road nationals.

The U.S. masters nationals TT has relaxed the rules the past couple of years. But no guarantee that'll always be the case.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 23, 16 16:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like some IA16 units are popping up in Japan. Small gallery here:
http://www.climbbikes.com/2016_01_23_62460.html
Looks like a sweet ride!

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [FranR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Tri Shop in Michigan sent out a teaser yesterday for a new Felt (they've had IA10 for a while).

https://twitter.com/...s/690956719187464192
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going with the Felt IA10 this year, previously riding a 2012 Cervelo P2. I am pumped to get the Di2 and athlete serviceability at such a great price point! Taking bikes apart for travel has always been a pain and this bike makes it look much easier!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [mjm5002] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't want to steal Felt's thunder as a press release goes out tomorrow, but wanted to let everyone paying attention to this thread know that the IA16s hit the door today.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave, can you tell me which brakes, front and rear, the IA16 will be shipping with?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tektro R312 front and T750 rear direct mount.
Cheap, effective, and inboard left-side powermeter friendly.
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply

Prev Next