Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering the same thing, seems like both draft boxes have their faults as it relates to the IA frame (obviously not a surprise as they were not designed for it). Would like to get something that is built specific if Felt is working on that.

My IA16 is being delivered today, Picking it up first thing Monday.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
With a careful hand and very low torque requirement I'm about 2,000 out of 2,000 for removing and installing bolts without stripping them.

Challenge accepted.

Accelerate3 Coaching https://accelerate3.com/
Moxie Multisport https://www.themoxiemultisport.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to the QR box but I will say that the gen 2 trek box was a vast improvement over gen 1. I really like how QR integrated a light into their box.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not receive a whole lot of feedback but I have decided to keep the QR box until something else is offered. I am still not happy with how the bottom looks (See my pics earlier in thread) but I feel it looks better than the Draftbox. I just covered the the sides with matte black vinyl. Looks good enough for training.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
Hi Dave - in addition to working a redesign of the front storage box, can you confirm if Felt is working on anything similar to the seat tube storage box Trek and QR have? I would imagine there are patent issues there as well but would be helpful to know if I should wait it out for something from Felt or get one of the other designs already out there.

For ST - is there a consensus on which storage option (Trek or QR) is preferred>? There have been some discussions but wondering if anyone feels one of the two is definitively the way to go.

Don't wait for Felt, it's a clever area to add storage with minimal aero hit.
I'd recommend the QR but that is more of a philosophical choice based on Trek's business practices than their products.
-SD
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is in the shop, Zipp Vuka Aero is set, and it's being cabled this afternoon;



I can probably pick it up tomorrow. The guy who was picking up a IA FRD and the guy getting a IA10, both said they liked the more plain look of mine better.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how much wider than the frame is the QR-box?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And they "Bontrager" on everything. I cannot explain it but I just cannot stand that word.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will snap a pic later tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a really nice bike! Congrats!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This picture is going to make my weekend take a very long time now. Cant wait till monday.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first one is out in the wild here in NC. Really nice looking bike



Accelerate3 Coaching https://accelerate3.com/
Moxie Multisport https://www.themoxiemultisport.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's ready. Pick it up tomorrow. Run first, swim, then get the bike.

Pic wth Hed3 and disc as soon as I get home

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the trek box. my behind the seatbottle holder won't fit in a way that allows me to open the box.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Trisumai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trisumai wrote:
I have the trek box. my behind the seatbottle holder won't fit in a way that allows me to open the box.

I also have the trek box. It does get in the way of some behind the seat hydration setups. I currently have an xlab superwing behind my saddle. It sits just high enough above the box I can still open and remove the box.

Of course the amount of clearance may vary based on the size of frame you have and your seat height.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As requested. For all considering this option I may need to drill a hole in the mounting bracket of the Qbox to accommodate the positioning I wish to achieve. Also, people that are carrying rear hydration may have the same access problem as the draft box. This is as best I could do tonight so let me know if additional pics are needed.





Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like the freakin Batmobike;



For now I took off the top part of the bento, put my spare tube in there and put an old style Dark Speedworks bento over it. It will work until Felt does something better with the area.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt has released the IA 10 frameset for $2499! http://www.feltbicycles.com/.../frameset-ia-10.aspx



Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very expensive compared to the IA16 at $2999.
An additional $500 for the groupset incl brakes, cockpit, wheels and saddle.

The only thing the frame has going for it is if the fork steerer will come uncut as Dave suggested before - to allow use of conventional 3rd party stems rather than just the Felt Tri155 and the TriRig stems that fit the cut steerer. However the picture shows it with the steerer cut and the Felt stem installed which is confusing. The "Technical Specs" on the website has the stem listed as n/a and I see no mention of steerer length. Perhaps the picture is a bit misleading and it actually comes with a long steerer tube and no stem?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Very expensive compared to the IA16 at $2999.
An additional $500 for the groupset incl brakes, cockpit, wheels and saddle.

The only thing the frame has going for it is if the fork steerer will come uncut as Dave suggested before - to allow use of conventional 3rd party stems rather than just the Felt Tri155 and the TriRig stems that fit the cut steerer. However the picture shows it with the steerer cut and the Felt stem installed which is confusing. The "Technical Specs" on the website has the stem listed as n/a and I see no mention of steerer length. Perhaps the picture is a bit misleading and it actually comes with a long steerer tube and no stem?

The additional $500 isn't well spent if you already have your own parts to swap onto the bike or you want to use this to "build your own" to exactly what you want. The parts supplied are functional but pretty low end and not in high demand on ebay, you could come out even or a little ahead but that would also be quite a lot of work and not worth the hassle for some of us. Really only makes sense to buy the built up bike if a significant part of the build is of use to you.

Not many manufacturers are offering framesets any more and usually the economics aren't great compared with built up bikes for most people, but for the minority that is very particular, it's very handy to have the frameset option available. Not for everyone but nice that Felt offers this option.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [boki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you route the wires? My lbs is building up my bike now and indicated that the cables from the shifters are too short to run the cables through the extensions, into the frame right behind the stem and then routed to the front area around the fork column into the junction box. Was this how you routed your cables? Also seems like that little nose area where the junction box sits is really tight to get the thing out to charge. I am sure you haven't charged it yet but have you tried to access it?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Very expensive compared to the IA16 at $2999.
An additional $500 for the groupset incl brakes, cockpit, wheels and saddle.

The only thing the frame has going for it is if the fork steerer will come uncut as Dave suggested before - to allow use of conventional 3rd party stems rather than just the Felt Tri155 and the TriRig stems that fit the cut steerer. However the picture shows it with the steerer cut and the Felt stem installed which is confusing. The "Technical Specs" on the website has the stem listed as n/a and I see no mention of steerer length. Perhaps the picture is a bit misleading and it actually comes with a long steerer tube and no stem?


The additional $500 isn't well spent if you already have your own parts to swap onto the bike or you want to use this to "build your own" to exactly what you want. The parts supplied are functional but pretty low end and not in high demand on ebay, you could come out even or a little ahead but that would also be quite a lot of work and not worth the hassle for some of us. Really only makes sense to buy the built up bike if a significant part of the build is of use to you.

Not many manufacturers are offering framesets any more and usually the economics aren't great compared with built up bikes for most people, but for the minority that is very particular, it's very handy to have the frameset option available. Not for everyone but nice that Felt offers this option.
Yeah, I suppose there's a fair amount of work stripping down and selling off parts if you really wanted your own spec. Fair point.
I'm not knocking Felt. The option of a frame is worth having even if it's not financially appealing to me.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Mcluvin22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The easiest way is to add a Shimano JC41 Junction B box and EW50 cable. This will provide up to 40cm in extra length to plug the extension shifters into. My IA10 came with one for the base bar shifters and I added one for the extensions for about $35 for the box and cable.

You can also take the Junction A out of the nosecone and relocate it to the Calpac by drilling a hole in the Calpac by the stem. You can route the extension di2 cables into the stem and out the back with the base bar cables and brake housing then all the di2 cables into the Calpac and into the Junction A. Makes access to derailleur trimming and charging 10 times easier. You will need the extra length from the JC41 and EW50 for both base bar and extension shifters to do this.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Mcluvin22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mcluvin22 wrote:
How did you route the wires? My lbs is building up my bike now and indicated that the cables from the shifters are too short to run the cables through the extensions, into the frame right behind the stem and then routed to the front area around the fork column into the junction box. Was this how you routed your cables? Also seems like that little nose area where the junction box sits is really tight to get the thing out to charge. I am sure you haven't charged it yet but have you tried to access it?

Exactly as shredz2000 explained. For charging I got one extra junction box A so I don't have to take out the junction box A from the nose cone. I just unplug the rear derailleur and plug the e-tube cable into extra junction box A for charging.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is about par for the course, typically lowest end bikes are pretty close in cost to the bare frame. The first gen speed concept comes to mind. I think with the lowest spec project one(rival build and bontrager race wheels) it was within $500 of the frameset price.

What's really cool though is that a lot of times the lower level frames don't get offered as a frame only option. So kudos to felt for that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next