Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone having some serious issues with corrosion and rotting on the new Speed Concept TT bars?

Over the weekend one the the washers for the tt bar slider broke off mid ride. Upon pulling everything apart most the the bolts on the TT risers on up are rusted through. The tower toppers have some serious pitting.

I do try and wash the bike 1-2x per month, always dry everything, lube, etc. I’m really disappointed in the cheap steel and aluminum that Trek chose here in a highly corrosive environment. Seems like a major safety issue.

This is first season on the bike as well.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MtbTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live on the coast and this bike also sits on the trainer so I’m hyper aware of it myself. I spray some muc-off anti corrosion spray on all the exposed bolts and nuts once a month. Last trek i had I built up a nice supply of titanium bolts over time, once I get off my ass and figure out bolt sizing etc I’ll prob do the same for this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a Gen2 rear brake cover (the original one got lost in an accident) and it’s proven futile to find online so far. I do not mind if it’s the UCI or non-UCI version. I just want to protect the brake from road grime.

1. Is Trek still selling some? Seems out of stock on their website and most legit stores.
2. Does anyone have self made 3D printer file for the rear brake cover as an alternative solution? (Before we go and design one ourselves.)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TheArchitect] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is where I get a lot of SC parts from.

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/...i-brake-cover-p20551
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TheArchitect] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I do not have one.. but I did want to say that the part is more than a (dust) cover, it also a part required for the brake to keep functioning correctly. It guides and ensures the wedge stays in its track.
I would not ride without it.. just thought it was worth mentioning.

Hope you find one quick!

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks that helped a lot!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a Trek Speed Concept (Gen. 2) high far stem? They seem to be back ordered.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im about to order my new P1 speed concept and I have a question about the base bar / tower bases.

Is a low base bar with a taller tower base the same as a mid rise base bar with a shorter tower base?

My stack height on my large Gen 2 Speed Concept is 645mm and reach is 500mm.

I was thinking of going with a far topper, low rise bar, and 45mm tower base. Does that sound right or am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I just received a low-near stem as I'm working on my fit on a newly acquired Speed Concept gen 2. I'm curious, what is this part for (on the left)? Nothing in the user manual...

Also, I've read that there was a spacer added somewhere in the stem assembly, but I guess it is this o-ring and it goes underneath the pinch bolt (don't mind the alignment)?

Thanks!

Last edited by: TheMechArtist: Sep 15, 23 13:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a new disc SC. It is a good bike overall. However putting all the marketing noise about the integrated bento box aside - I tried to fit GU gels in it and they don’t fit normally because of the internal dividers. So you need to fold and squeeze them. Am I missing something or this is just another ergonomic miss (similar to the flat kit storage loop)?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pull the dividers out ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Pull the dividers out ?
Brilliant - didn’t realize they were removable! Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought a used Gen 2. Is the aluminum seat post reversible?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MustGoFaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
Yes

Thanks.

Question #2 - in order to change out the stem, do I need to fully recable (mechanical shifting)? It looks like that's the case but want to confirm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edit: looked closer and yes, there's one cable going through the stem... but it's probably the front brake which is much simpler to deal with (just disconnect the wire from the wedge that's it, worst case you need to replace the front brake cable if you can't get it back in the wedge because it's too frayed)

---
I have SRAM eTap now (only the rear brake cable in the frame) so I can't confirm but from the service manual diagram it looks like the cable housing is not going through the stem so you should be able to just remove the bottom basebar bolts out and leave everything else connected.
I replaced by headset bearings and I took the whole fork out without needing to do anything with the brake cables.

https://trek.scene7.com/...t_Service_Manual.pdf

MustGoFaster wrote:
G. Belson wrote:
Yes

Thanks.

Question #2 - in order to change out the stem, do I need to fully recable (mechanical shifting)? It looks like that's the case but want to confirm.

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: G. Belson: Sep 30, 23 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
Edit: looked closer and yes, there's one cable going through the stem... but it's probably the front brake which is much simpler to deal with (just disconnect the wire from the wedge that's it, worst case you need to replace the front brake cable if you can't get it back in the wedge because it's too frayed)

This was super helpful - thank you. I'm going to be a nuisance and ask one more question. I bought the bike with the consideration of upgrading to electronic, so figure I'll ask about preferences between eTap and Di2 (likely Ultegra vs Dura Ace). Pros/Cons, especially if trying to do this one on my own (limited wrenching abilities).

---
I have SRAM eTap now (only the rear brake cable in the frame) so I can't confirm but from the service manual diagram it looks like the cable housing is not going through the stem so you should be able to just remove the bottom basebar bolts out and leave everything else connected.
I replaced by headset bearings and I took the whole fork out without needing to do anything with the brake cables.

https://trek.scene7.com/...t_Service_Manual.pdf

MustGoFaster wrote:
G. Belson wrote:
Yes

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have mechanical ultegra on my bike and I installed etap myself. I have had zero issues since 2017. It was definitely the easiest to install at the time and I also believe it cost less than di2.
I'm not familiar with the wireless Shimano options of today so it might be the same in terms of simplicity to install.

The batteries on the etap have to be charged more often than Shimano it seems but they are removable so it's easy to carry a spare in your flat kit just in case or you can swap the front with the rear and still get home.

Software updates on etap were zero all these yeara but then again I didn't need anything else, everything just worked without issues.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for this. Started to look at AXS as an option, and for me it seems like it may be be the better route vs Di2. That said, it also looks like the AXS cassettes require an XD-R freehub, which I assume is going to be a pain to change or upgrade on an older set of wheels that came with the bike - Bontrager Aura TLR. Something else I'll need to dig into as I haven't found an answer for this yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep eTap off TT bikes. You can make the extension buttons and derailleurs work but the junction box is very hard to place well, the satellite buttons are ridiculously big and non-aero and of course the integrated PM is stuck with pointless tiny chainrings
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Liam72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liam72 wrote:
Keep eTap off TT bikes. You can make the extension buttons and derailleurs work but the junction box is very hard to place well, the satellite buttons are ridiculously big and non-aero and of course the integrated PM is stuck with pointless tiny chainrings

old news. current builds use wireless blips. easy peasy.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's still a big lump of plastic exactly where you don't want a big lump of plastic. Disturbing what is pretty clean airflow over aero bars and levers with a tape on lump is a clear loss when we're all looking for small gains. I've had quite a few clients with eTap and was open minded when first encountering it and like the idea of wireless shifting but it's just clumsy and the whole shrinking of cassettes and chainrings just when everyone is going in the other direction is really bizarre
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Liam72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liam72 wrote:
It's still a big lump of plastic exactly where you don't want a big lump of plastic. Disturbing what is pretty clean airflow over aero bars and levers with a tape on lump is a clear loss when we're all looking for small gains. I've had quite a few clients with eTap and was open minded when first encountering it and like the idea of wireless shifting but it's just clumsy and the whole shrinking of cassettes and chainrings just when everyone is going in the other direction is really bizarre

what's the big lump of plastic? here are the shifters on a couple of bikes.

i'm with you on the older pre-AXS etap. what i'm writing about here is the way you'd prepare a bike outfitted with newer (within the last 5 years) AXS 12sp electronic.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the top one they're attached to the sides of the brake levers which would be a definite small loss if the brake levers weren't really square fronted already. Real small gains to be had by switching that bike to Di2 hydraulic (plus or minus the collapsing chainsets!). The old DA Di2 mechanical TT levers were also very square fronted and being out there in clean air they are a significant shape, later versions much smoother and an easy few watts saved at 30mph. Compared to the mythical gains to be supposedly had by removing the front mech and going 1x having tidy brake levers (and tape!) is an easy win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took a week but my stem came in and I’ve run into what may or may not be an issue - just being very cautious. When I go to screw in the new stem the bolts won’t line up with the holes, seems to be the angle. I have to raise the stem a little bit in order for the bolts to thread in. I was thinking I could just tighten it all down but realizing the angle it's sitting at is wrong and I don't think tightening it will align it properly. I quickly tried with the original stem and seem to have the same issue.

Pic of what it looks like where I can get the bolts to align...

One further question. Will I have any issues with cable lengths having gone from mid-far to mid-near?
Last edited by: MustGoFaster: Oct 10, 23 19:45
Quote Reply

Prev Next