Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: eTap Blip Box mounting [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My recommendation is the adhesive mount under the Mono Extension, this is what I did for my s/o's Speed Concept.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Plugin Adapter (new style 6mm bolts) - broken pole clamp [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello There

Broken Clamp - part # / replacement?
Short version:

Installing the plugin adapter, despite trying to torque the screw at lower torque than spec'ed (5 N.m instead of 7 N.m), loud snap and assumed I cracked the carbon pole.. but on closer inspection, left side (non-drive side) metal clamp cracked.
-> Is there a part number to replace it? Or how do I get a replacement?

With my luck, this happened on a part I did not buy in a store - bought from a user, mounted but never used. Looked new when I got it.

Long version:
Installing the plugin adapter (newer version for the 6mm bolt hardware) on my second Speed Concept (had no problems on the first one, as I was torquing the bolts to secure the pole with a torque wrench (a good one that works well) something did not feel right: screws seemed to turn too easily - I had the wrench set to 7 N.m. So I reduced it to 6 N.m to be safe, backed off the screws and tried again.. still, felt like it should click earlier after first sensing a bit of resistance. Almost like friction on the bolt threads is not building enough.

So I switch to a dedicated Bontrager 5N.m preset T-Wrench thinking this will be safe, back off the screw and try again.. Before it clicked, the left side metal clamp made a loud sound.. closer inspection it snapped.
At the loudness of that sound, I am convinced there was no cracks before it snapped (i.e. a pre-existing damage would not explain why resistance was not building up).
I checked: screw was NOT lubed or greased that I can tell, to explain why friction on the thread would not build up to lead to an appropriate tension on the screw.

Hoping it is possible to obtain just the clamp(s) and not have to re-source/buy another complete assembly just for one clamp.

Also scared to tighten these screws again..Not cool to not be able to safely go by the torque spec'ed!
- Not enough tension and the poles could come loose at the worse time while riding
- Too much tension and I snap another clamp, either at install or while riding?

Suggestions welcome.

p.s. Pole clamps "appear" on size, slightly larger than 22 mm (but I do not have great measurement tool) but otherwise from a reputable brand - 51 SpeedShop (FSM bars).

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Last edited by: spocket: Jul 19, 22 8:08
Quote Reply
New Speed Concept Fit [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch, looking to get in the que for a new Speed Concept and hoping to get some advice on the right frame size. From what the Trek website says my seat height/inseam leans me toward small, but my height is medium. This would be my first legit tri bike - currently riding a Madone (52 frame with 170 crank arms) with clip on aero bars that I’ve tried to tweak as best I can for a more aero set up. Here are my current measurements from the Madone which fits really well:

Pad Stack – 654mm - although feel like I could go down 20mm easily on this to get into a better aero position
Pad Reach (BB to back of pads) – 333mm - guessing this would be longer on an actual tri bike with the steeper seat tube angle
Saddle Height (measured to the rails) – 651mm

My height is 5’7.5” (171.5cm) and inseam barefoot but in bike shorts is 30” (76cm). Inseam in bike shoes is 31” (78.5cm) if that helps.

Not sure how applicable the Pad x/y are taken off a Madone or if I should be relying more on my own height / inseam. My problem always seems to be that my saddle height needs to be low relative to my reach. Not sure if a small or medium would be a better fit for me and greatly appreciate any wisdom you can share!
Last edited by: wmccr117: Sep 11, 22 19:39
Quote Reply
Re: New Speed Concept Fit [wmccr117] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wmccr117 wrote:
Hi Mitch, looking to get in the que for a new Speed Concept and hoping to get some advice on the right frame size. From what the Trek website says my seat height/inseam leans me toward small, but my height is medium. This would be my first legit tri bike - currently riding a Madone (52 frame with 170 crank arms) with clip on aero bars that I’ve tried to tweak as best I can for a more aero set up. Here are my current measurements from the Madone which fits really well:

Pad Stack – 654mm - although feel like I could go down 20mm easily on this to get into a better aero position
Pad Reach (BB to back of pads) – 333mm - guessing this would be longer on an actual tri bike with the steeper seat tube angle
Saddle Height (measured to the rails) – 651mm

My height is 5’7.5” (171.5cm) and inseam barefoot but in bike shorts is 30” (76cm). Inseam in bike shoes is 31” (78.5cm) if that helps.

Not sure how applicable the Pad x/y are taken off a Madone or if I should be relying more on my own height / inseam. My problem always seems to be that my saddle height needs to be low relative to my reach. Not sure if a small or medium would be a better fit for me and greatly appreciate any wisdom you can share!

You're fit for both a small and medium Speed Concept. However, you have more range in your stack if you go with a medium frame. A small leaves you at the top of the stack adjustment. I also think visually, the medium would look better since you don't need a high rise base bar.

This is how I would run you in a medium SC:
  • Near Tower Topper
  • Mid Rise Base Bar
  • 75mm Tower Base
  • 0mm/No Adjustment Spacer
  • Short Seat Post

The medium would work nicely as well if you choose to drop your stack by 20mm, you would be able to use the same settings, but change the tower base and adjustment spacers. If you shorten your reach, then you'd want to move to a small SC.

Quote Reply
Re: New Speed Concept Fit [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mitch - sincerely appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: New Speed Concept Fit [wmccr117] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy to help my friend!

Quote Reply
Re: eTap Blip Box mounting [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to redo my rear brake (2014) and when I was putting this back together... one of the bolts broke off in one of the rear brake pivot bolts... I might be able to get it out.

If not can I get one of the pivot bolts and another bolt that isn't broken?

Last edited by: xeon: Sep 16, 22 4:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch, can you purchase just the locking me h for the draftbox, or do u have to buy the whole box?
Quote Reply
Re: eTap Blip Box mounting [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Had to redo my rear brake (2014) and when I was putting this back together... one of the bolts broke off in one of the rear brake pivot bolts... I might be able to get it out.

We don't have these bolts for sale on their own, so it would only be apart of a complete brake assembly. You should be able to carefully extract that though! Otherwise, the rear brake assembly part number is W325747 which we currently have in stock.

Quote Reply
Re: eTap Blip Box mounting [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Mitch, can you purchase just the locking me h for the draftbox, or do u have to buy the whole box?

For the Draft Box II, the only serviceable part we offer is the mount and the lid. When you say the locking mech(?) I assume you mean the push tab on the lid? If so, the part number is W325747 and it is currently in stock!

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Sep 21, 22 7:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch has there been any update or progress on trek developing an adapter to run aftermarket extensions on the new bike? Similar to Sam Long, Skye Moench, and RVB are running.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can both be purchased and the push tab replaced. My friend has Holly Ls old bike and the kid is custom painted to match bike

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
xeon wrote:

We don't have these bolts for sale on their own, so it would only be apart of a complete brake assembly. You should be able to carefully extract that though! Otherwise, the rear brake assembly part number is W325747 which we currently have in stock.
Thankfully I was able to extract it... so problem averted.
Quote Reply
Re: eTap Blip Box mounting [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No news on any adapters yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch, apologies if this has been answered numerous times here already but I cannot find a clear answer anywhere online. Is the Gen 2 Tri basebar UCI legal now, or is it just the Tri fork that is now UCI legal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there anywhere one can purchase (for the new speed concept):

-the bta water bottle
-the mini tool for inside the frame
- an extra down-tube bottle

If not what’s the ETA?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: eTap Blip Box mounting [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS has had my SC frame for a couple of weeks now and I am hoping to collect the fully built up bike on Wednesday. Apparently they have the BTA, tool kit etc waiting for me as well.
Quote Reply
Re: eTap Blip Box mounting [GrahamMackie7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s awesome. I just got mine this week but my bike shop didn’t have the extras.

Wicked bike though - so impressed with the efficiency, comfort and responsiveness.
Quote Reply
Re: eTap Blip Box mounting [KevinSequoia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KevinSequoia wrote:
Hey Mitch, apologies if this has been answered numerous times here already but I cannot find a clear answer anywhere online. Is the Gen 2 Tri basebar UCI legal now, or is it just the Tri fork that is now UCI legal?

The tri basebar is still listed as non-UCI legal. However, the tri fork is UCI legal!

Quote Reply
Re: eTap Blip Box mounting [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your shop should be able to place an order for all of those, they can backorder it too for items not in stock which is essentially a pre-order that puts their order in line.

Quote Reply
Arm Pad Replacement [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What are you guys using to replace the OEM arm pads on a Gen2? Mine are in need of replacement. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Arm Pad Replacement [donzist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
donzist wrote:

What are you guys using to replace the OEM arm pads on a Gen2? Mine are in need of replacement. Thanks!

Anyone around? ha! Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering how crap the originals are, pretty much anything will be an improvement!
(I’m on fibrelyte high sided)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
51speedshop is what I'm using. I have both versions of their cups/pads and they work well.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch.
Will be placing an order soon for the new SC.

My fir on the current bike is
Stack 640
Reach 510
Bb to top of seat 710

Please help with what to order.
Last edited by: AchillesHeal: Nov 28, 22 9:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next