Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is Ian still around ? He might be on a well earned holiday

Couple of days with a brutal stomach flu. Back on feet and ready to go.... Thanks for patience all.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian - I am looking at the CF SLX.

Seat height - 736
Pad X = 501
Pad Y = 625
Last edited by: Spartan_Pat: Mar 15, 23 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm 174cm with 81cm inner leg lenght.
My current setup is old generation speedmax slx (rim breaks ) in size M,

PAD X : 610
PAD Y : 530

I'm looking to buy a new speedmax cf slx, my suggested size is S. What do you think about it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
Thanks for all your advice previously! Unfortunately, Speedmax CF or CF SLX in size M are still not available for order and I'm now slowly but surely running out of time as my race series is coming up. Due to that, I now consider to buy the CF 8 Di2 in size L instead.
Could you help me to understand what the downside would be if I'd go for a size L instead of the recommended size M?
Getting a bit desperate here.
Thanks,
Greg
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Greg1183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone advise the maximum extension tilt using spacer wedges on the CRF / CF SLX? And then how much upward tilt is available on the grips?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

I’m looking at the speedmax cf slx 8

Canyons website is putting me on a small

Height 70”
Inseam 32.5”

Now these next measurements were taken in a garage by me. I think they are close to correct. I used the back of the arm pad

Pad y 660.4
Pad x 457.2
Seat height 977
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Thank you Ian for your assistance in this thread.
Can I please get some assistance. I currently ride the new speed concept, size medium, long far topper. Using your video of getting stack and reach I came up with the following

Pad y (stack back of pad) 620

Pad x ( reach to back of pad ) 455

(pads have 14 degree tilt)
Seat height : 77.1cm
Rider height : 178 cm
Seat distance behind bb: 19mm with adamo race saddle
Enclosed is a pic of a club super sprint race for some idea.
I believe the stock canyon stem default allows for a reach of 460 is that correct ? When one is so close to the max setting would it make sense to order the bike with a longer stem to allow margin of error ? Does the long stem cover a shorter reach at all or is its minimum 460? I ride with larger bontrager race pads and have the elbows on them with some hanging off the back but that’s ok because of their size. Refer to pic below.

IamSparticus,
Thanks for your patience on this. In terms of the "stock Canyon stem default"... I don't think you're talking about the Speedmax CF, which of course comes with a stock stem that is sort of a mortal stem but not really and it is made by canyon. I think you're talking about an Speedmax SLX or CFR. I'm going to proceed under that assumpiton and if I'm wrong get back to me please and I'll respond in a more timely manner. So... the SLX/CFR (same geometry) ships in the USA with short stem (short cockpit) - but to say the Pad X max is 460 depends on the size of the bike - but again based on the context I think what you're asking is... "what is the Pad X range of the the proper size SLX/CFR for me?". Here we go....

With a Pad Y of 620 and a Pad X of 455 the right Speedmax SLX is size Medium, short stem, low spacer, and medium extension (everything I just listed as the proper front end config for you is stock in the USA - by that I mean you pull the bike out of the box it'll hae a short stem, medium extension and probably a mid spacer on it but in a box-o-bits that comes with your bike you'll have a low spacer and some wedges so you can add tilt). And you'll have room to push your pads forward another 9mm if you need that to a max of 464 or pull your pads back to a Pad X of 410. You're seat height will even allow for both water bottle bosses to be exposed behind the seat post so you can run that Canyon behind-the-post cage if you like.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, when you have the chance, I’d appreciate your expertise with a size recommendation.

Depending on availability I’m planning on buying either a Speedmax CF7 Disc, CF8 Disc or CF8 Disc Di2.
I don’t have access to a bike fitter.
I currently don’t own a triathlon bike.

In the past I have owned 2010 and 2014 Cervelo P2’s. Both were size 51cm. On both occasions I was fit by a fitter with a good reputation but I no longer have my stack and reach numbers from these bikes. Antidotally, both bikes seemed to fit well. My position wasn’t overly aggressive but I was able to produce reasonable (for me) power, it seemed somewhat aero looking based on the eyeball aero tunnel and I was comfortable.

I’m 170.2cm (5’7”) with an inseam of 76.2cm (30”). I think my body proportions are all somewhat normal. I’m a male, 60 years old and don’t have any issues with injuries, mobility, etc.

I understand the limitations of the Canyon online Fit Calculator but it recommends a size Small in all 3 models. At 5’7”and 30”, I appear to be right in the middle of the Small recommendation range which seems to be from 5’6”and 29” (below this is XS) up to 5’9” and 32” (above this is a M).
So, can I make these bikes fit and if so, what size would you recommend?
Thanks!

Bill,
I think your Pad Y is roghly 620mm and your Pad X is in the neighborhood of 450. Based on that the right Speedmax CF is a size small with the 70mm stem that comes stock on it. And you'll be nicely centered with room to move your pads up, down, fore, aft to make it perfect. In terms of fit.... the "build" of the bike doesn't really matter - it it's got 105 mechanical or Di2... the size of the bike and the front end configuration that's right for you are the same across all the CFs.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Alliedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In need of a new Tri-Bike, I last road a 56 Felt IA back around 2016. I am looking at the Canyon bikes, however their calculator says I am on a Small, that is fine if that is correct.
@Slowman actually did my fit back then and I have attached his chicken scratch for your interpretation! I did chat with Canyon via online chat, they said they confirmed me on a small.
I am 6 foot in the mornings and 5'11 1/2 in the afternoon ;-)
Inseam is a 31/32
If there is a better fitting bike, no worries, happy to hear options too!
Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Alliedog,
C'mon... Seriously!? You come at me here with a Pad Y, Pad X and Seat Height from a fit you had done by Dan Empfiled!!! This will be the easiest and most rock solidly confident perscrption I have..... ever?...done on this thread.

You need to choose the Canyon Speedmax CF (not the SLX) in a size Small with the 70mm stem that comes stock keep the 25mm spacer that comes under the stem, open up the box-o-bits that come with this bike and add in ~55mm of arm pad pedestal and you'll be within 5mm of perfect.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [PracticalTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian -

I'm pretty committed to getting a Canyon Speedmax CF 8 and am hoping for an indication of what size bike I should be getting when they come in stock in the US while I wait for my tri fit -
Height: 200cm
Inseam: 96cm
My current road bike setup from a very recent bike fit is
Saddle height: 86.4 cm
Nose of saddle to stem center: 63cm
Nose of saddle to lever hood: 78.2cm
Drop from saddle to handlebar top: 5.05cm
Crank length: 175mm
Canyon's fit tool sizes me at an XL using my height and inseam however I am worried about the length given my relatively short torso.
Thank you!

PracticalTri,
The road bike measurements can't be applied here. You're going to be in a completley different position and it's gonna be great! I think you're Pad Y is about 720 and your Pad X is 530ish. The right CF for you is an XL, it comes with a 90mm stem that will be perfect. You're right in the middle of the range of this bike so you'll have room to move the pads up/dwn/fore/aft to find your spot.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Spartan_Pat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian - I am looking at the CF SLX.

Seat height - 736
Pad X = 501
Pad Y = 625

Spartan_Pat,
Won't work. You're right very long and low and the SLX can't get there. I'm sorry.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [guerremdq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,
I'm looking to buy a new speedmax cf slx, my suggested size is S. What do you think about it?

guerremdq,
Can I ask you to check the numbers you gave me - and not just the accidental swap of Y for X but the X itself...
I'd expect your Pad Y to be 610 but are you really out at 530 in your X? Should that be 430?

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Greg1183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Thanks for all your advice previously! Unfortunately, Speedmax CF or CF SLX in size M are still not available for order and I'm now slowly but surely running out of time as my race series is coming up. Due to that, I now consider to buy the CF 8 Di2 in size L instead.
Could you help me to understand what the downside would be if I'd go for a size L instead of the recommended size M?

Greg,
I'm using a stew of art/science/math to make that guess of your Pad Y of 655 and Pad X of 470. I really like it when the process I use generates numbers that allow the athlete to tweak the arm pads (that's what I'm focused on here) up/down/fore/aft to find their best spot. The problem with a size large is that the lowest the pads will go is 660 so if 655 is your best pad height then you're riding 5mm higher than optimal when completly slammed. Also, your optimal pad height might even be lower than my estimation 650. The medium is the right CF for you. Fingers crossed on availability.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Fresh79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Can someone advise the maximum extension tilt using spacer wedges on the CRF / CF SLX? And then how much upward tilt is available on the grips?

Fresh79,
There are two angled (wedged?) spacers in the box-o-bits that comes with the SLX/CFR. One of those is 7 deg and one if 3.5 degrees. Choose one. Canyon makes it clear that you cannot double them up. The range of motion of the grips is pretty extreme they will come up so steep that they get to be almost perpendicular to the aero extension and so far down that no human wrist could get to it - all most 180 degrees of sweep.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [triguy92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

I’m looking at the speedmax cf slx 8
Canyons website is putting me on a small
Height 70”
Inseam 32.5”
Now these next measurements were taken in a garage by me. I think they are close to correct. I used the back of the arm pad

Pad y 660.4
Pad x 457.2
Seat height 977

triguy92,
I think the Pad Y and Pad X are probably pretty close let's work with those (seat hight...hmm.. you're probably measuring from a different place that I do - we'd don't have to worry about that here and now).

While you can fit on a Speedmax CF size small, I really feel like the Medium fits you better. The 80mm stem that comes on will leave your 457 dead center in the range and you'll have room to pedestal the pad up or down to find your best stop. Nice!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re right .

Wall to BB is 95 and wall to begging of the pad is 42.

I added a picture of the bike
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [guerremdq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

guerremdq,
Can I ask you to check the numbers you gave me - and not just the accidental swap of Y for X but the X itself...
I'd expect your Pad Y to be 610 but are you really out at 530 in your X? Should that be 430?

Let me know, Ian

You’re right .

Wall to BB is 95 and wall to begging of the pad is 42.

I added a picture of the bike

guerremdq,
Okay, I'm going foward with emphasis on the "you're right" and "pad is 42" info.
With a Pad Y of 610mm and a Pad X (to the rear of the pad - as in the place your knee cap might hit the pad if you stood up out of the saddle went way forward over the bars) is 420mm. If I've misunderstood let me know.

Canyon Speedmax SLX in size small with the short stem, mid spacer and medium aero extensions puts you smack dab in the center of that bike's range. You'll be able to lift the pads 60mm up, 45mm down, 20mm longer in Pad Y (cockpit) or 35mm shorter. That's a beautiful thing. PS. this is all true for the CFR as well. Man, that's a sweet fit!!!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean that you're right that I confuse the X and Y but the Pad X is 530 and Y 610.

I just recheck your youtube video to see if i did a mistake while measuring but not, that is correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I mean that you're right that I confuse the X and Y but the Pad X is 530 and Y 610.

I just recheck your youtube video to see if i did a mistake while measuring but not, that is correct.

guerremdq,
Okay, you ride realy long. That rim brake Speedmax SLX has really long and low geometry but the new SLX won't make your coordinates. I'm sorry.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

looking to purchase my first tri bike and really like the speedmax cf slx 8. I have been at a store and had a testride one the size S with a very small fitting at a canyon store nearby. The employee said from the measuremeants i am pretty inbetween a size s and xs. After the tryout he seemed to be happy with me on the former one.
Doing some more reading once i got home i now regret not trying out the on in xs aswell. I was hoping that maybe you could give me some more insight here.

hight: 168cm
inseam: 80.7cm
forearm: 34cm

As i dont have a tribike yet i sadly dont have any more measuremeants. I believe the bike i tried had a medium aeore bar extension one, which we slammed all the way back. I was advised to chose a extension size small and then would be good with adjusting it.

Appreciate your help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian!
I'm a short triathlete, 164 cm height.
Inseam 78 cm.
BB to saddle 68.8cm
y=625, x=430.
Crank arms 165mm.
Currently on an Orbea Ordu which I love but it lacks elegant and comfy nutrition and hydration solutions :-( for my races which is typically 70.3...

Will I fit on a CF SLX small frame? Local fitter told me Speedmax bikes are too large for me since I don't want the xs due to their 650b wheels.
Thanks!
Oren.
Last edited by: lightrider74: Apr 1, 23 23:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [rswo23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian,

looking to purchase my first tri bike and really like the speedmax cf slx 8. I have been at a store and had a testride one the size S with a very small fitting at a canyon store nearby. The employee said from the measuremeants i am pretty inbetween a size s and xs. After the tryout he seemed to be happy with me on the former one.
Doing some more reading once i got home i now regret not trying out the on in xs aswell. I was hoping that maybe you could give me some more insight here.
As i dont have a tribike yet i sadly dont have any more measuremeants. I believe the bike i tried had a medium aeore bar extension one, which we slammed all the way back. I was advised to chose a extension size small and then would be good with adjusting it.
Appreciate your help!

rswo23,
The test ride process doesn't work well on modern bikes because there are some many adjustments that can be made - but no one is willing to take so much time to adjust/ride/adjust/ride it's just NOT logical. Have a fit done on a dynamic fit bike is the best way but I can speculate here as well. Based on your morphology I think your Pad Y is ~595 and your Pad X is roughly 440. I'm pretty certain the XS will be too short for you so...

Canyon Speedmax CF size Small with the 70mm stem that comes stock. I think you'll ride it pretty low so leave the ~25mm spacer under the stem and slam the aerobars - you can always add spacers and screws to pedestal the aerobars higher if you need them up a bit. Also, that Pad X I'm guessing at (440) is just ahead of center of the small range so you'll be able to pull your pads back 50+mm and push them forward nearly 30mm.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hey Ian,

Appreciate your help!

rswo23,
The test ride process doesn't work well on modern bikes because there are some many adjustments that can be made - but no one is willing to take so much time to adjust/ride/adjust/ride it's just NOT logical. Have a fit done on a dynamic fit bike is the best way but I can speculate here as well. Based on your morphology I think your Pad Y is ~595 and your Pad X is roughly 440. I'm pretty certain the XS will be too short for you so...

Canyon Speedmax CF size Small with the 70mm stem that comes stock. I think you'll ride it pretty low so leave the ~25mm spacer under the stem and slam the aerobars - you can always add spacers and screws to pedestal the aerobars higher if you need them up a bit. Also, that Pad X I'm guessing at (440) is just ahead of center of the small range so you'll be able to pull your pads back 50+mm and push them forward nearly 30mm.

Ian

Thanks a lot so far!
Sadly my fitter where i live doesnt offer a dynamic fit bike. Is there a difference between the frame sizes from the cf slx and the regular cf? Definitley helps to have another opinion on the xs version beeing to small for me. The regular sizing chart from canyon based on hight just threw me off a little.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [rswo23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

would appreciate your advice on sizing, i'm considering a CFR or CF SLX depending on what's available. Currently on a small Scott Plasma 5.

Pad X - 420
Pad Y - 620
Saddle Height - 715 (might drop a few mm as i'm likely to move to speedplay from Look Blades)
Inseam - 840
Height 1730
Tip of saddle to end of shifter - 805

I feel like i could stretch out a little more on my current set up and often find myself brnging my elbows back to the back of the pads.

15 degree angle on by bars currently with D2Z angled poles too.
Last edited by: Jwb_LDN: Apr 3, 23 12:41
Quote Reply

Prev Next