Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,
I’m looking at getting a Speedmax and having trouble with sizing. I am a tall rider and have always been on the biggest frame that a company makes, but Canyon’s website is showing a size Large would fit me best. Any help you have to offer is much appreciated.

Height: 6’5”
Inseam: 36”
Pad x: 462
Pad y: 725
Saddle height: 836
Saddle setback: -12
Crank length: 170
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [midwestcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,
I’m looking at getting a Speedmax and having trouble with sizing. I am a tall rider and have always been on the biggest frame that a company makes, but Canyon’s website is showing a size Large would fit me best. Any help you have to offer is much appreciated.

Height: 6’5”
Inseam: 36”
Pad x: 462
Pad y: 725
Saddle height: 836
Saddle setback: -12
Crank length: 170

midwestcyclist,

If you're getting a Speedmax CF then a size Large is the ticket, 90mm stem, all the stock bits. Totally doable.

If you're getting a Speedmax CFR or SLX then you need an XL, short stem, and then you're right on the cusp of mid-spacer + max or high spacer at it's minimum. You can fit on a size Large CFR/SLX but I'm not happy with it as your Pad Y is 1mm shy of completely maxed out and that's just not as good as the XL prescription.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for your expertise!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [marcosero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

You probably missed this in the previous page. Let me know if there's any other information I can provide that would help.

marcosero wrote:
Hi Ian,

I'm looking for my first Triathlon bike. Thanks for helping us all!

About me:
  • 183cm
  • 90cm inseam (short torso)
  • poor hip flexibility

I'm currently on a road bike with clip-on aerobars and ISM saddle slammed forward (seat angle is only 73.5). Not sure if the measurements are still helpful, but here they are:
  • 82cm saddle height (with 165mm cranks)
  • Pad Y 75cm
  • Pad X 40cm

I'm interested in both CF and CF SLX, but I'm worried the SLX won't allow me enough customization for my preferred fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [marcosero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I'm looking for my first Triathlon bike. Thanks for helping us all!
About me:

• 183cm
  • 90cm inseam (short torso)
  • poor hip flexibility
I'm currently on a road bike with clip-on aerobars and ISM saddle slammed forward (seat angle is only 73.5). Not sure if the measurements are still helpful, but here they are:

• 82cm saddle height (with 165mm cranks)
  • Pad Y 75cm
  • Pad X 40cm
I'm interested in both CF and CF SLX, but I'm worried the SLX won't allow me enough customization for my preferred fit.

marcosero,
Based on what you've given me I'm thinking your capable of riding at a Pad Y of 670 and a Pad X of 450. I know that seems lower and longer than what you're riding now but I think you're already aware that the tri position will be comeplete different from your road bike with clip-ons - the seat angle will be closer to 80 degrees, you will likely still ride that ISM saddle and that means the bars will move in concert with the saddle: foward and down. Even with the long legs and hip flexability.

If you got a Speedmax CF it would be a size Medium, with the 80mm stem that comes stock on that bike. 670/450 would put you almost dead-center in the range and you'd have ~55mm that you could lift the aerobars higher if you needed (and 40mm lower), and you'd be able to shorten the cockput 45mm or go 45 longer. It's a fantastic fit.

If you got the the CFR/SLX it should be a Large, short stem, medium extension and you'd start with the mid spacer. You have room to move here too: 50mm up, 45mm down and 20mm shorter, 35mm longer.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian!

I was lucky enough to snag a Speedmax CF SLX 8 Disc Di2 off the Canyon site and it should be arriving after the weekend - so excited and been interested in Canyon since 2017 when I met you in Kona for the fit!

Attached are your recommendations back in 2017 - I am 5’6” and inseam is 30”

Got the size M based on your recommendation - flat short bar + medium extension

Going to put everything together when bike comes in - any recommendation on seat height (bike comes with 170 cranks) + anything to do on the front end? I know you mentioned changing to low spacer +- wedge for tilt (those are included with bike I think?) and will do that. How far should extension be?

I don’t know much about fitting so appreciate all your help and excited to finally be part of team Canyon!
Last edited by: Sweet T: Jun 9, 23 3:56
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Sweet T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian!
I was lucky enough to snag a Speedmax CF SLX 8 Disc Di2 off the Canyon site and it should be arriving after the weekend - so excited and been interested in Canyon since 2017 when I met you in Kona for the fit!
Attached are your recommendations back in 2017 - I am 5’6” and inseam is 30”
Got the size M based on your recommendation - flat short bar + medium extension
Going to put everything together when bike comes in - any recommendation on seat height (bike comes with 170 cranks) + anything to do on the front end? I know you mentioned changing to low spacer +- wedge for tilt (those are included with bike I think?) and will do that. How far should extension be?
I don’t know much about fitting so appreciate all your help and excited to finally be part of team Canyon!

Sweet T,
Congratulations! I'm thrilled for you.
The initial assembly of the bike - when you pull it out of the box - is pretty easy. The video will give you an idea of what's in store. The bike in the video is a CF and you're bike is an SLX so there are a some differences but the first 75sec will give you an idea of the unboxing.
When you put the wheels on be sure to keep the brake blocks (little plastic spacers - probably orange - that are stuck disc brake pads). You can use those in the future when you remove a wheel to keep the brakes from getting closed by accident when the brake lever gets bumped. Keep close eye on the torque spec's for each bolt - we're probably only talking abou the seat post wedge bolt but don't over do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlxoknE8iSQ

As for fit... there is a formula for seat height, it's eponymously named LeMond. You can take .883 and multiply that times your inseam in mm. That is/was a terrbile for a road seat height and therefore even more inaccurate than tri seat height (which will be higher). I can give this... 1) aim for comfort first and foremost - don't try to dirve your position based on what you might think is "aero". 2) do not hesitate to post a video here of your position and I'd be happy to share my thoughts. It best if the bike is level on a trainer, the video is shot at about hip height at profile.

Keep me posted, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Sweet T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should seriously consider 155mm cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will

Canyon would not be able to install 155 so I’d do it aftermkt

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you I will! Appreciate all your expert advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Rotor cranks with their INspider power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian.
I have ordered a canyon speedmax CFR in size M, with 85mm stem, and long aerobar, I have 165mm cranks and an ISM Adamo for a saddle. my measurements are:
height: 180cm
inseam:88cm

It is ok?
Tnk you so much
Last edited by: Javi85: Jun 9, 23 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Javi85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian.
I have ordered a canyon speedmax CFR in size M, with 85mm stem, and long aerobar, I have 165mm cranks and an ISM Adamo for a saddle. my measurements are:

Javi85,
I appears that you've had fit done already. It's stated that you've ordered a bike. And it seems like you're dropping in here to gain reassurance that you've ordered the right size. Lots of folks do that, good on you for getting fit first.

Based on your morphology the Pad Y of 647 ("arm rest stack") seems really logical to me, and that number fits beautifully onto a CFR size medium (with the mid spacer by the way). The Pad X of 515 ("arm rest reach")... that's a different story. To begin with this bike, and most bikes today, assess the Pad X to the back of the arm pad. There was a lot of confusion over some folks measuring and discussing mid pad numbers and now we have less of that, but the first thing I'm going to assume is that your 515 is to the center of the pad. The arm pad is ~90mm across so if I subtract 45mm from 515 then I get a Pad X (to the rear) of 470. The problem with that is the size Medium CFR with the short stem won't get to 470 (the longest it'll go to is ~464). BUT WAIT! I still thing a Pad X of 470 seems long. I would have expected it to be 455-458 - but I'm a guy on the internet, on a different continent (assumption #2 of this post), and you've been fit by someone who say you in person (assumption #3 of this post).

So here's my advice - receive the bike. set it up. Ride it. If the cockpit feels too cramped then consider getting the Rad Sport tilt thing for the Speemax as it'll give you more length in the cockpit and it'll give more tilt too - which I bet you'll love.
https://shop.radsport-ibert.de/en/components/?p=1

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian.

Javi85,
I appears that you've had fit done already. It's stated that you've ordered a bike. And it seems like you're dropping in here to gain reassurance that you've ordered the right size. Lots of folks do that, good on you for getting fit first.

Based on your morphology the Pad Y of 647 ("arm rest stack") seems really logical to me, and that number fits beautifully onto a CFR size medium (with the mid spacer by the way). The Pad X of 515 ("arm rest reach")... that's a different story. To begin with this bike, and most bikes today, assess the Pad X to the back of the arm pad. There was a lot of confusion over some folks measuring and discussing mid pad numbers and now we have less of that, but the first thing I'm going to assume is that your 515 is to the center of the pad. The arm pad is ~90mm across so if I subtract 45mm from 515 then I get a Pad X (to the rear) of 470. The problem with that is the size Medium CFR with the short stem won't get to 470 (the longest it'll go to is ~464). BUT WAIT! I still thing a Pad X of 470 seems long. I would have expected it to be 455-458 - but I'm a guy on the internet, on a different continent (assumption #2 of this post), and you've been fit by someone who say you in person (assumption #3 of this post).

So here's my advice - receive the bike. set it up. Ride it. If the cockpit feels too cramped then consider getting the Rad Sport tilt thing for the Speemax as it'll give you more length in the cockpit and it'll give more tilt too - which I bet you'll love.
https://shop.radsport-ibert.de/en/components/?p=1

Ian

Thank you very much for your response and time Ian, you are right in everything you have said, I have ordered my canyon cfr, but I have not paid for it yet...
What if I have these pieces to advance the armrest, do you think it is enough?

My idea is to put the armrest upgrade that canyon sells together with this piece that advances the position.

I know radsport-ibert products. Which of the two do you recommend if I also put the metal plate that you mentioned earlier?
a)metal plate+ angle base spacer.- https://shop.radsport-ibert.de/...-with-40mm-reach?c=5
b) metal plate+ angle spacer.- https://shop.radsport-ibert.de/...speedmax-slx/cfr?c=5

Thank you so mucho
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Javi85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Javi85,

Couple of things...
1) the 2 round pieces in the picture are used to widen the grips. I found that the grips on the CFR are very narrow - so narrow that you have to "weave" your fingers to get them in between the grips if they are narrow becaue the thickness of two fingers on top of one another won't fit. It's quick and easy to instert those if you want 'em.
2) The base plates are intersting. I haven't seen those.
3) If you need the aerobars to go longer - and you migh not. Try the base plates first. If those aren't enough then I think you should order the "angle-base spacer" from RadSport, it adds 40mm and more angle and tilt. Keep in mind I do not work for RadSport, I've never installed one of those, I don't know the full specs. I've only seen them on bikes - so read into it, call 'em you have to. My primary concern is.. Can you get your pad elevation where you want it with that item - as in... can ou stack stuff on top of if you need your pads higher?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I am reaching out to you and this fantastic forum to get some advise on fit assistance for a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8. I am currently riding a Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL 7 in size 49. I have worked with the Canyon geometry chart and size guide, but still feel uncertain which bike I should choose - it will be my first TT bike. The guide and Canyon support recommend size XS, short extensions, short cockpit, flatbar. I don't want to sit too compact, but would appreciate some flexibility for adjustments. What do you think about this based on my measures below?

Here are my measures:
Hight: 161cm
Inseam: 77cm
Current seat hight on SL7 (fitted): 673mm
length forearm: 310mm
Pad Y: do not know
Pad X: 395mm

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Further, I wonder if 650b wheels are a good choice, even for a small rider like me? I am used to my 700c wheels road bike.

Thank you so much in advance :-)
Jen_X
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Jen_X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time trial bikes that are very small would have 650C wheels.

I would also suggest 150mm cranks, but Ian can certainly give you the proper recommendation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Many thanks for offering to help out with this. I am a bit confused by some of the sizing advice the canyon site is giving - for the Speedmax CF 8 it is showing medium and for the Speedmax CF SLX 8 it is showing small, even though the stated ranges of reach and stack for the two are identical (408-461 x / 581-691 y in medium).

I don't have a triathlon bike at present so here are all my details I can give you:
Saddle height 74cm
Inseam measured to sit bones 83cm
Height 177cm
Wingspan 184.5cm

Your advice for both models would be greatly appreciated, since stock issues might force my hand on which to buy.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Jen_X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I am reaching out to you and this fantastic forum to get some advise on fit assistance for a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8. I am currently riding a Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL 7 in size 49. I have worked with the Canyon geometry chart and size guide, but still feel uncertain which bike I should choose - it will be my first TT bike. The guide and Canyon support recommend size XS, short extensions, short cockpit, flatbar. I don't want to sit too compact, but would appreciate some flexibility for adjustments. What do you think about this based on my measures below?

Here are my measures:
Hight: 161cm
Inseam: 77cm
Current seat hight on SL7 (fitted): 673mm
length forearm: 310mm
Pad Y: do not know
Pad X: 395mm

Please let me know if you need additional information.
Further, I wonder if 650b wheels are a good choice, even for a small rider like me? I am used to my 700c wheels road bike.

Jen_X,
I so appreicate you writing in. This is a big decision, it's important, it's a bike you'll likely train and race on for 7-10 years so let's do it right!
I think your Pad Y will be in the neighborhood of 575 and I think your Pad X could be 395 or out to 415. To that end... I agree with the guide, Canyon support: XLS size XS with probably the mid spacer, short cockpit, and short extensions. The flat bar is great (I like the way it looks) and you'll dial right into moving from aero-to-pursuit bars and back quickly and easily.

Now, about that 650b thing. At your height there is a bike geometry that is right for you to be comfortable, confident in the bike handling, and fast. That geometry has to be built around 650bs. If it were to be forced onto 700s it wouldn't be as good and it would be constant struggle. Don't hesitate. There's a very interesting woman named Emma Pooley, you can read about her HERE . TLDR: She's your height, World Champ & Oly medalist in TT, World Champ in Duathlon many times over and she's an engineer and has written on the logic and advantages of the smaller wheels. Just keep on thing in mind... you should ride a very short crank and when the math goes to work on 650b and short cranks you're gonna want to balance it out with some "meatier" gearing (I'm thinking 53x39 up front with a 10 or 11 as a small cog and nothing more than perhaps a 25ish big cog. To be sure go to Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator and compare the "feeling" of your gear ratio on the road bike with what this bike would feel like and you'll find the proper gearing.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jimatbeyond,

Thank you for your nice reply and very helpful thoughts on my concerns. Together with Ian's reply, I will confident to make the right decision :-)

Cheers and have a nice day,
Jen_x
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for getting back to me with such an extensive and thoughtful answer. I highly appreciate that you took your time to help me to make a good decision. Your detailed info gives me the confidence to order the right bike and parts for a fantastic (and fast) riding experience. Your remarks on the 650b wheels make sense for me - it just sounds a bit strange since I am so used to bigger sized wheels on my road bike without any problems. I will give it a try and will also play with the gear calculator.

Emma Pooley is a great athlete, inspiring woman, and role model for more girls on two wheels ;-)

Have a great day,
Jen_X
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [frank0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Many thanks for offering to help out with this. I am a bit confused by some of the sizing advice the canyon site is giving - for the Speedmax CF 8 it is showing medium and for the Speedmax CF SLX 8 it is showing small, even though the stated ranges of reach and stack for the two are identical (408-461 x / 581-691 y in medium).
I don't have a triathlon bike at present so here are all my details I can give you:
Saddle height 74cm
Inseam measured to sit bones 83cm
Height 177cm
Wingspan 184.5cm
Your advice for both models would be greatly appreciated, since stock issues might force my hand on which to buy.

frank0,
Yikes... I disagree with the site. I'm wondering how/why my disagreement exists and I can immeidatly think of two posibilities:
1) inseam to sit bones... hmmm for me that's too big a number. I want standard inseam: no shoes, floor to taint sorta thing.
2) you've accidently transposed the results: could it be a medium in the SLX and small in CF? Cuz that's where I'm headed.

Also, this is just an aside... the Pad Y/X ranges on the CF & SLX are not the same in the medim. The CF is a taller and slightly longer bike when we look at the pad ranges.

I suspect your Pad Y is around 625 and your Pad X is ~465.

If you got a Speedmax SLX (or CFR) you'd need a medium (the small will not go beyond a Pad X of 460 even with the long "stem"). So it would be a medium, short stem, either mid spacer or low spacer + tilt wedges, and medium extension. You'll have have bit a room to go longer in the cockpit and lots of room to go shorter, higher, and lower with the pads.

If you got a Speedmax CF you'd need a small (you'll be too close the bottom limit on the medium in both Pad Y and seat height). The 70mm stem that comes stock on that will verly likely satisfy you and you'll need to push the pads foward quite a bit. If I'm wrong on your Pad X and you want to ride out at 470 or a bit more that can be solved quickly and easy with an 80mm stem. The Y will offer you plenty of room to move above and below the 625.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for the advice. Just to clarify a couple of points:

If I take the inseam not measured to the sit bones, I get a higher number than 83 (84.5) - that's with a little bit of pressure from the book used in the measuring. Detailed advice on where the inseam measurement should end seems to be lacking online.. but my seat height is well set.

I think I see where there is a discrepancy here in the sizing info we are seeing - I am outside the US. On the US site it only shows a CF 7 available, not a CF 8 (which I see on my country's site), and the geometry seems to be quite different between the two. Well, actually, the frame stack and reach are the same between the two (values I and J in their geometry chart), but the listed pad stack and reach ranges are very different - I assume this is due to them coming with different bars & spacers etc?

Anyhow with the pad x and y estimates you gave me I should be good to go. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for your offering to help! This thread is amazing and I wish I had seen it before buying my bike.

I have a 2019 Speedmax CF8.0, size M with [edit:] 80mm V21 stem . Despite having the bike for 3+ years, i only rode about 100 miles with it. I finally got hooked to time trialling again and I am hoping that I can make it work.

My measurements are:

• Height: 183 cm
  • Inseam: 88 cm
  • Torso: 65 cm
  • Shoulder width: 48 cm
  • Arm length: 69 cm

I followed the British Cycling guide for the saddle fore-aft position.
The saddle is the Fizik Mistica. Horizontally, the saddle tip is just 1 cm behind the bottom bracket centre.
In terms of height, it is 777mm from the centre of the BB to the middle of the saddle top, like all my bikes.
I also used the 70mm arm pad raiser (the largest) which gives me 8cm saddle to pad drop.

I find the pelvis position and saddle height being satisfactory. I also feel that the pads are comfortably high and I could lower them.
But I feel that the reach is too short and my shoulders are getting fatigued after only 5 minutes. I moved as far forward as possible the pads but my humerus is completely vertical.

Is my stem too short? Would a longer one help me or am I doing something else wrong? If yes, are there longer stems?

Many thanks.

Yiannis
Last edited by: yiannis: Jun 18, 23 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [yiannis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for your offering to help! This thread is amazing and I wish I had seen it before buying my bike.
I have a 2019 Speedmax CF8.0, size M with [edit:] 80mm V21 stem . Despite having the bike for 3+ years, i only rode about 100 miles with it. I finally got hooked to time trialling again and I am hoping that I can make it work.
My measurements are:

• Height: 183 cm
  • Inseam: 88 cm
  • Torso: 65 cm
  • Shoulder width: 48 cm
  • Arm length: 69 cm
I followed the British Cycling guide for the saddle fore-aft position.
The saddle is the Fizik Mistica. Horizontally, the saddle tip is just 1 cm behind the bottom bracket centre.
In terms of height, it is 777mm from the centre of the BB to the middle of the saddle top, like all my bikes.
I also used the 70mm arm pad raiser (the largest) which gives me 8cm saddle to pad drop.
I find the pelvis position and saddle height being satisfactory. I also feel that the pads are comfortably high and I could lower them.
But I feel that the reach is too short and my shoulders are getting fatigued after only 5 minutes. I moved as far forward as possible the pads but my humerus is completely vertical.
Is my stem too short? Would a longer one help me or am I doing something else wrong? If yes, are there longer stems?

Many thanks.

yiannis,
Is your stem too short... maybe. Here's a thing you might try before getting a new stem...
  1. Add aerobar tilt if your aerobars are flat (add a bit more if they are slightly tilted). You're shoulders are tired 5min, the tilt might allow you to "press" against the front end and take some effort off the muscles in the front of the shoulders

Yes, there is a 90mm V21 stem, I have one on my desk. If you're in the USA I'll sell you this one - DM me. If not contact Canyon and order a 90mm.

Now... some things I'd like to comment on and ask about..
  • I had never seen the British Cycling Guide before. It's written by Todd Carver who's American but good on the Brits for post this info up. My preference is athletes getting fit by professionals in person but this (perhaps 3-4th tier choice) is better than nothing.
  • Sounds like your "set back" is 10mm. Okay. If that's all you'd said my response would have held hesitation. But then you added "pelvis position and saddle height satisfactory". That gives me more confidence. Often I find that where someone sits on the saddle is perhaps more important than the set back but they certainly go hand-in-hand. Look at where the best riders ride and make sure you're there: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...os_in_Kona_8518.html https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ns_in_Kona_8523.html
  • Sounds like you can go lower than 80mm in arm pad elevation. If the tilt thing works for you...that results in a lower position, just something to be aware of
  • Lastly that bike came with cranks that were too long. Based on what you've given me I think 160mm cranks would be right for you. Keep in mind...if there are 172.5s on there now and you swapped out to 160s the seat height would need to go up 12.5mm and then your arm pad elevation would be 12.5mm lower...and you'd probably love it due to less hip impingement with the shorter cranks. More to consider.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next