Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian.

I'm 186cm, long legged, seat height 822mm, Pad Y 647mm, Pad X 473mm.

I've been riding 2017 Speedmax CF SLX 9.0 in size M for over than 5 years.
I was told on a recent bike fit that I should gone with L on this particular model, but M is fine too.
There were only 3 sizes for that model - S, M and L.

Could you please tell your opinion on the sizing of new SLX and CF for me?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [thedarkprince] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian, I saw Speedmax 7 etap being available in the US. I am curious between M and S size as my Pad X/Y can be achieved on either according to the site. I ride a M ultimate road bike and currently ride a size 54 PRFive rim which corresponds to M speedmax if I go by frame stack reach. My pad measurements on QR are as follows:

Pad X: 424
Pad Y: 661
Seat: 780

thedarkprince,
You can fit on either the Small or Medium of the Speedmax CF. Both positions are so good that I'm scraping the bottom of my criteria to find my preference..... I decided on the Small because a) you're dead-center in the pad range and b) I like the aesthetic of more seat post.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [cw336] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi, wondered if I could get some assistance before committing to the CFR or the SLX on the outlet store (an older model given the spares storage is at the proximal top tube)

At 181cm it seems I'd be a guaranteed medium from the height scales
Inner Leg 845mm

Last fit on a 2013 L Shiv
Pad Reach (BB to pad) 455
Pad Stack (BB to pad) 687
18mm from BB to saddle tip

Youngish, strong, flexible, competitive (2nd and 4th overall in last two Ironmans) so happy to aim for an aggressive position.

Do I actually need to consider a small given the reach, or a potentially different brand? Sorry I'm completely clueless on bikes/technical side so looking for any reassurance before my first proper purchase.

cw336,
I want to start by saying this... Slowman (Dan Empfield) is better that I am (better than anyone?) at tri bicycle fit. So please look at his reply and let me reiterate some of his thoughts...

If you posted to me here with JUST "Pad Y 687, Pad X 455. What's the ride SLX/CFR for me?". Here's what my answer would be:
Size Large, short stem, mid spacer, medium extension. Puts you almost dead center in the range with those parts. A nice place. The Medium could work too but 687 for Pad Y is near max and a small won't make these coordinates at all, it's not option - at these coordinates.

If you had posted here saying JUST "I'm 181cm tall with an inseam of 845mm young, strong, flexible, and competitive, great IM results" I would have said, wow, long legs! and guessed your Pad Y at 655 and Pad X at 438ish (and while the Large would still work, I'd prefer you on a Medium). So here's the thing that is grabbing the attention of both Dan and myslef... You're Pad Y could make sense if your legs are super long so please confirm for me that your overall height is 1810mm and your inseam is 845mm. I'd also like to know about those measurements but didn't see the attachement.

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Firstly, thank you for what you have done with this thread! Such great information to takeaway. Great to see everyone coming together in such a positive and constructive way.

I am hoping you can help me. I have been in the market for the Speedmax CF 8 Disc Di2 for a long time now, and like everyone else have been impacted by the limited stock.
I did have a fitting done, on a mock up bike, and was recommended a size XS.
The Small has just come into stock and I was wondering what your thoughts are, is the Small suitable for me, in your opinion? My measurement are below:

Height: 168cm
Inseam: 79.9cm
Saddle height 68.5.
Handlebar X: 40.9 CM
Handlebar Y: 54.2

Another concern is the smaller wheels that come with the XS, hoping to avoid this.

Thanks so much,
Dino
Last edited by: Lenzo02: Apr 24, 23 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian.

I'm 186cm, long legged, seat height 822mm, Pad Y 647mm, Pad X 473mm.

I've been riding 2017 Speedmax CF SLX 9.0 in size M for over than 5 years.
I was told on a recent bike fit that I should gone with L on this particular model, but M is fine too.
There were only 3 sizes for that model - S, M and L.

Could you please tell your opinion on the sizing of new SLX and CF for me?
Thanks.

NickMa,
For the disc brake SLX (this works for CFR too, same geometry)...Size Large, short stem, low spacer, medium extension. You could make the Medium work too but it would require a long stem (not stock in USA).

For the disc brake CF... Size Medium with the 80mm stem that comes stock (Large in the CF will not go low enough for you).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Ian.

I appreciate the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Lenzo02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Firstly, thank you for what you have done with this thread! Such great information to takeaway. Great to see everyone coming together in such a positive and constructive way.

I am hoping you can help me. I have been in the market for the Speedmax CF 8 Disc Di2 for a long time now, and like everyone else have been impacted by the limited stock.
The Small has just come into stock and I was wondering what your thoughts are, is the Small suitable for me, in your opinion? My measurement are below:

Saddle height 68.5.

Another concern is the smaller wheels that come with the XS, hoping to avoid this.

Dino,
I can't do anything with the HX & HY but if there's Pad X and Pad Y on your fit sheet, I'd love to know those numbers.

I can say this... 1680 is 5'6" tall and 799mm is a 31in inseam (sorry, I still have to convert to get a perspective). If this is accurate, you have incredibly long legs. Without the fitting you had done I'd guess your Pad Y would have to be 600 and your Pad X around 415. But I'd like to hear if your Pad Y/X is on that sheet.

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I don’t have those numbers on my fitting sheet, suspect I’d get them when I take the bike for the actual fitting.
Is there any other info you may need to give me a guide on whether you think the Small Speedmax will be suitable?

Thanks
Dino
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Lenzo02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Saddle height 68.5.

Dino,
I can't do anything with the HX & HY but if there's Pad X and Pad Y on your fit sheet, I'd love to know those numbers.

I can say this... 1680 is 5'6" tall and 799mm is a 31in inseam (sorry, I still have to convert to get a perspective). If this is accurate, you have incredibly long legs. Without the fitting you had done I'd guess your Pad Y would have to be 600 and your Pad X around 415. But I'd like to hear if your Pad Y/X is on that sheet.

Let me know, Ian

Unfortunately I don’t have those numbers on my fitting sheet, suspect I’d get them when I take the bike for the actual fitting.
Is there any other info you may need to give me a guide on whether you think the Small Speedmax will be suitable?

Dino,
I have complete answers for you and am willing to discuss further here if need be.

If you're open to getting a bike fit done then GET FIT FIRST! Find a fitter who is educated in the triathlon position, experienced in those fits, and who has a dynamic fit bike. If you tell me where you live I might be able to direct you. The fitter MUST have all three of those elements. You'll go through a process that will ID your Pad Y & Pad X so we know for certain what size bike and what front end configuration is right for you and you'll come away with all your coordinates so that the fit is done before you even order the bike.

If getting fit first is not an option... then here I go:
Based on your morphology I think your Pad Y is ~610mm and your Pad X is in the neighborhood of 430mm. if I'm correct then, yes, a Canyon Speedmax CF size Small would fit you... with the 70mm stem that comes stock. I'm not at all worried about the cockpit distance; 430 is almost dead center in the Pad X range of this bike and you'll have 40mm to go longer or short to find perfect. The Pad Y however is another story. The lowest this bike goes is 600mm. So if my guess of 610 is too high you won't be able to drop more than 10mm. Here's are two reasons why I think you'll be fine
1) you've got crazy long legs for your height and folks like you (like me, like many) need a front end that is closer and higher than those built the other way with short legs and long torsos. It's more likely that you're Pad Y is 615, 620 or even higher.
2) if you do need to go lower than 610, you've got 10mm to be slammed AND you will very likely enjoy aerobar tilt where the base bar remains level but the aerobars clamps are loosened and the aerobar grips are pulled up higher. When this happens the arm pads drop giving the rider a yet lower position.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian!

I am one of the ones you fit in Kona in 2017!! This is the card you gave me - currently in the market/waiting for a Speedmax CFR

Am I a SMALL? If I do the static fitting on the Canyon site, it puts me at a XS?!?!?!

Thank you for all you do!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Sweet T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Sweet T!!! I love it. Thank you for posting.

The geometry of the rim bikes (2017) are very different from the disc brake bikes (today). Reply here with your overall height and your inseam and let me compare that to the Pad X/Y from that quickie-fit and let me prescribe a CFR from that.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi I am 66" height and inseam is 31"

Thank you!

ianpeace wrote:

Sweet T!!! I love it. Thank you for posting.

The geometry of the rim bikes (2017) are very different from the disc brake bikes (today). Reply here with your overall height and your inseam and let me compare that to the Pad X/Y from that quickie-fit and let me prescribe a CFR from that.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Sweet T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet T,

I thinkin' the right CRF is Large, short stem, and mid spacer. You'll have all the parts and room to move higher or lower with arm pads to find the perfect spot.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Size large?!?! I am 5’6” not 6’6”!
🤷‍♂️
Just confirming thank you!

ianpeace wrote:
Sweet T,

I thinkin' the right CRF is Large, short stem, and mid spacer. You'll have all the parts and room to move higher or lower with arm pads to find the perfect spot.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

First time poster in the forum, but I've followed slowtwitch for a long time. I was hoping I could get some fit assistance with the next stock of Canyon Speedmax CF 7 Disc etap. I had a Retul fit done with the following ideal measurements:

Saddle Height: 728 mm
Pad Y: 648 mm
Pad X: 409 mm (pad rear)
Frame Stack: 530 mm
Frame Reach: 423 mm

I am a 5 foot, 9.5 inch guy with a 32 inch inner leg length (Canyon's website puts me on a small with these measurements), but my Retul fitter suggested that when between two sizes, he prefers to size up. However, the geometry ranges for the Small seem to be more aligned with my needs. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edit: Included fit printout for reference.
Last edited by: R4PiD: May 9, 23 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You completely nailed my error. Hold that thought. I'll reconfigure later today.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Was hoping large bc those are in stock! Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet T,

You can fit on both a medium and a small - lots of folks can fit on 2 or even 3 sizes so this is no surprize. I like the medium better and I think the bike will handle better. CFR size medium, short stem, low spacer, medium aero extension. Typically in the USA the bike arrives with the short stem, medium spacer and medium aero extension so all you'll need to do is swap out the medium spacer for either the low spacer or a tiny spacer + a wedge to add some tilt to your aerobars. If inventory is an issue then get the small, medium spacer, medium extension and just know you'll need to push the pads foward pretty much 100%.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the insight this is super helpful!

Would crank size be a factor too?

I saw the small comes with 165 and the M comes with 170 - Ive always ridden 165

It’s just with this purchase I’d like to make it right from the get go! I’m open to either small OR medium too!

Appreciate all your help!

ianpeace wrote:
Sweet T,

You can fit on both a medium and a small - lots of folks can fit on 2 or even 3 sizes so this is no surprize. I like the medium better and I think the bike will handle better. CFR size medium, short stem, low spacer, medium aero extension. Typically in the USA the bike arrives with the short stem, medium spacer and medium aero extension so all you'll need to do is swap out the medium spacer for either the low spacer or a tiny spacer + a wedge to add some tilt to your aerobars. If inventory is an issue then get the small, medium spacer, medium extension and just know you'll need to push the pads foward pretty much 100%.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thank you for the insight this is super helpful!

Would crank size be a factor too?

I saw the small comes with 165 and the M comes with 170 - Ive always ridden 165

It’s just with this purchase I’d like to make it right from the get go! I’m open to either small OR medium too!

Appreciate all your help!

ianpeace wrote:
Sweet T,

Ian

Sweet T
Well, we've entered the pure nitty gritty. Here's the my dilema... I'd love to see you on shorter cranks (probably even 155) so, yes the shorter crank would be better. My issue is this.. I think your Pad X is 440-460. The CFRs in the USA ship with a short "stem" (it's a whole cockpit really) and the longest the small will go in Pad X is 440. If you wanted to ride out at 445, 450, 455, 460 etc. you'd have to make a hardware change. I'm not sure how long you might weight./pay for a long long stem from Canyon. There's also the option of getting an aftermarket item that can stretch the cockpit HERE.

So the option would be this... get the small, ride the 165 crank and maybe extend the cockpit if you have must
or.... get the medium and order a 155 or 160 crank and install that.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Ian!

Sounds perfect!

Last question! Since canyon stock seems to be so unpredictable, if I went the route of a QR VPR (which seems to be more predictable), what would you suggest???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found that 150mm or 155mm cranks work for all of my customers up to 6'0".
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, another newly approved first timer on this forum. I've just taken delivery of my second hand speedmax CF slx from 2019 with the HB49 base bar. I'd like to increase the angle of the arm pads and aero bars and it seems like there's a product that does this called the Speedmax CF SLX Spacerkit 9° GP0158-01 which I've found on the US canyon site (out of stock obviously). I'm based in the UK and this product doesn't feature at all. Could you or anyone give me any advice on how to source this component or something similar that isn't £1000 worth of custom new bars etc? Cheers, Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [R4PiD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

First time poster in the forum, but I've followed slowtwitch for a long time. I was hoping I could get some fit assistance with the next stock of Canyon Speedmax CF 7 Disc etap. I had a Retul fit done with the following ideal measurements:

Saddle Height: 728 mm
Pad Y: 648 mm
Pad X: 409 mm (pad rear)
Frame Stack: 530 mm
Frame Reach: 423 mm

I am a 5 foot, 9.5 inch guy with a 32 inch inner leg length (Canyon's website puts me on a small with these measurements), but my Retul fitter suggested that when between two sizes, he prefers to size up. However, the geometry ranges for the Small seem to be more aligned with my needs. Thoughts?

Thanks!

R4PiD,
Welcome to the Slowtwitch Forum, and thanks for posting.

For the Canyon Speedmax CF with a Pad Y of 648 and Pad X of 409 you'd need to be Small (shortest Pad X on a Medium is 415, it won't come back to meet you at 409). That size small comes with a 70mm stem stock and it'll be perfect for you. You'll need about 30mm of rise to get your Pad Y and that's easy with the 25mm spacer that comes under the stem (and puts the top of the stem level with the top of the top-tube storage box - a nice look) and another 5mm of aerobar pedestal.

It's all super simple, easy, perfect - like this bike was made for you. And, there's room for you to move those arm pads down and forward if you like.... I bring this up because... the size small comes stock with 165mm cranks. Your fit was done with 170s. This is an easy math fix - your seat height would be 5mm higher with the 165s or 733mm. Then your pad drop will go from 73mm to 78 and I think you'll love it due to the new "freedom" of the hip will experience at the top of the pedal stroke. BTW... Your optimum crank length might be more like 155 so... if there's a time in the future when you want to make that move don't hesitate. You'll have to leave the Shimano eco-system but it'll be okay, get a Cobb crank at Speed and Comfort or get a Rotor with a power meter or some such.

Get back to me here if you have more questions, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Aldotcom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex,
I'm sorry I have zero leads on that item and I would suspect that Canyon is no longer making bits for the rim brake bikes. I only have two suggestions: 1) scour the used markets in all countries and 2) go to what we call here in the states a "machine shop", a place where artisans craft different types of metal into custom shapes and have them build you what you need.

Good luck with the hunt. Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next