Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Alex,
I'm sorry I have zero leads on that item and I would suspect that Canyon is no longer making bits for the rim brake bikes. I only have two suggestions: 1) scour the used markets in all countries and 2) go to what we call here in the states a "machine shop", a place where artisans craft different types of metal into custom shapes and have them build you what you need.

Good luck with the hunt. Ian

Thanks Ian! Appreciate the reply đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Aldotcom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I emailed canyon service centre and they replied almost immediately with an order for the correct part. Wanted to share in case anyone else needs parts for older models!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Will I fit on the CF SLX with these coordinates?

Pad stack: 615
Pad reach: 540 to mid pad. I have the 51 speedshop pads and my elbows rest in the middle of the pad.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Regarding the Medium not fitting, I suppose, then, that Canyon's provided pad X measurements for their different sizes are from BB to pad rear and not pad center? If so, definitely a good thing I reached out because I was assuming the opposite! It's great to hear that the Small will fit me so well.

Thank you so much for all of the information and confirming my suspicions. I have read, as you talked about, that the stock cranks on new tri bikes are often longer than optimal for riders, so I appreciate the info on the shorter ones.

Again, really appreciate the help and the work you put in for all the folks here!

Dakota
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Will I fit on the CF SLX with these coordinates?

Pad stack: 615
Pad reach: 540 to mid pad. I have the 51 speedshop pads and my elbows rest in the middle of the pad.

G. Belson,
The right Speedmax SLX is a Medium with the long stem and medium extension. You'd need the low spacer.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [R4PiD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ian,
Regarding the Medium not fitting, I suppose, then, that Canyon's provided pad X measurements for their different sizes are from BB to pad rear and not pad center? If so, definitely a good thing I reached out because I was assuming the opposite! It's great to hear that the Small will fit me so well.
Thank you so much for all of the information and confirming my suspicions. I have read, as you talked about, that the stock cranks on new tri bikes are often longer than optimal for riders, so I appreciate the info on the shorter ones.

Again, really appreciate the help and the work you put in for all the folks here!
Dakota

Dakota,
Even just three years ago triathlon bike manufacturers were selling bike with even longer cranks. We're making our way step by step but it'll take time.

Yes, rear of pad for most Pad X prescribing but as we now move into the new, sexy aero extensions that cover the forearm and frequently have elbow cups we'll need to reassess that again.

Thanks for the kind words. Be well.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I've been watching for Speedmax CFR or CF SLX to become available since August 2022. They just pushed back the date on the CFR until winter 2023. Now they show the 11 speed SLX from 2022 is coming back soon. I chatted with Canyon and they confirmed this is accurate Info. I am currently racing a 2009 Specialized Transition Comp A5 aluminum bike in 58 size. I had a bike fit by IOG in San Fransisco in late 2021. I am in my mid 50's and I have finished mid-Pack in several 70.3 and 140.6 ironman races. My body is not as flexible as it used to be. The goal of my fit was to get a relaxed position to help prevent back spasm on the run. We were successful in that goal. We were limited on pad reach as the front end was getting "over leveraged". While workable, the fitter said he would have liked to slide my seat and pads forward 10mm and possible up to 20mm. We later changed my crank arms from 175 to 172.5 and raised my seat to match. He suggested the large size in the speedmax. He said I might not like the lower pad stack and I might end up wanting to change the front end to something aftermarket. I am 73-3/8" tall with a 34-1/4" inseam. That's 186.4 and 87 in new math. My current set up is, saddle height 793mm, saddle setback to BB 89mm (its an ISM and I ride the nose), pad stack 760mm, and pad reach to center 479mm. These are measurements I took at home and might not be as accurate as the Zun report I attched. The only changes i made afyer the fit were for the shorter crank. Canyon PPS says I need a large and has a recommended saddle height of 765mm. That PPS recommended saddle height lands down in the medium frame geometry graph. My current pad stack puts me in an XL. With my age and condition, I want to go with the larger frame and a less aggressive fit. Do you think I need a large frame? Do you think Maybe I am going to be sorry with this front end, i.e. is this bike to aggresive for me to be comfortable on? I love the frame and the storage and I need to upgrade due to age of my old bike. I look forward to your take on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [DurhamL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi,

I've been watching for Speedmax CFR or CF SLX to become available since August 2022. They just pushed back the date on the CFR until winter 2023. Now they show the 11 speed SLX from 2022 is coming back soon. I chatted with Canyon and they confirmed this is accurate Info. I am currently racing a 2009 Specialized Transition Comp A5 aluminum bike in 58 size. I had a bike fit by IOG in San Fransisco in late 2021. I am in my mid 50's and I have finished mid-Pack in several 70.3 and 140.6 ironman races. My body is not as flexible as it used to be. The goal of my fit was to get a relaxed position to help prevent back spasm on the run. We were successful in that goal. We were limited on pad reach as the front end was getting "over leveraged". While workable, the fitter said he would have liked to slide my seat and pads forward 10mm and possible up to 20mm. We later changed my crank arms from 175 to 172.5 and raised my seat to match. He suggested the large size in the speedmax. He said I might not like the lower pad stack and I might end up wanting to change the front end to something aftermarket. I am 73-3/8" tall with a 34-1/4" inseam. That's 186.4 and 87 in new math. My current set up is, saddle height 793mm, saddle setback to BB 89mm (its an ISM and I ride the nose), pad stack 760mm, and pad reach to center 479mm. These are measurements I took at home and might not be as accurate as the Zun report I attched. The only changes i made afyer the fit were for the shorter crank. Canyon PPS says I need a large and has a recommended saddle height of 765mm. That PPS recommended saddle height lands down in the medium frame geometry graph. My current pad stack puts me in an XL. With my age and condition, I want to go with the larger frame and a less aggressive fit. Do you think I need a large frame? Do you think Maybe I am going to be sorry with this front end, i.e. is this bike to aggresive for me to be comfortable on? I love the frame and the storage and I need to upgrade due to age of my old bike. I look forward to your take on this.

Larry,
I just want to check in with you read quick. Above you note your Pad Y is 760 and Pad X is 479. But your fitter sheet says Pad Y is 775 and Pad X is 429. Is this because you've made some alterations to the bike since the fit? All I need from you is your Pad Y and Pad X - and by that I mean the Pad Y and Pad X you'd like the Speedmax SLX to be set up for you.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [DurhamL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think that you would want to go back to that fitter and try 155mm and 160mm cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

I think you looked at the initial readings and not the post adjust settings on page 2. They measured to the back of the pad. When I went to ride after the fitting i noticed that one pad was ahead of the other. I moved the short one forward one set of holes and currently I get 479mm the the center of the pad. I would think pad stack around 740-750 and pad reach around 470-490 is where im currently comfortable.
Last edited by: DurhamL: May 18, 23 20:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
186.4 height and 87 inseam. Pad Y 740mm and Pad X 480. Am I a large in CFR/SLX?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I have an additional one for you and much appreciate your support!

I've just ordered a Speedmax SLX in size S and need to confirm cockpit setup to Canyon. I haven't done a fit yet and would tune with a local fitter once I receive the bike.

Height: 174cm
Inseam 80cm

Canyon recommended (also based on forearm length of 35cm) the long version (85mm) with medium extensions, and leaned towards the flat bar.

I currently ride an Ultimate size S (stack 546mm, reach 385mm), which fits me well. However, with the seat in the most forward position, a 90mm stem and Profile Design clip-on bars I can just reach the arm pads on the first setting. Hence, I wonder if the long stem is really the right choice or if I'd still have plenty of options with the short version (65mm) - also allowing to increase aggressiveness of my position over time?
I think I'll also go with the rise bar given I live in hilly terrain.

Would appreciate your take on this to make my decision!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
186.4 height and 87 inseam. Pad Y 740mm and Pad X 480. Am I a large in CFR/SLX?

Larry,
The CFR/SLX you get has to be an XL. The Large Y maxes out at 730 so it wont come up to meet you at 740. The prescription is Canyon Speedmax CFR or SLX in Size XL with short stem, high spacer, medium extension. The short stem & medium extension come stock in the USA and there will be a high spacer in the box for a quick & easy swap. There will not be a ton of seat post exposed on this bike if you run you're current 172.5 cranks but you should be on 165 (or shorter) anyway so that's something to consider.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at the numbers on canyon website and I agree with your assessment. My concern is my fit was somewhat limited by my current bike. I realize I should get a new fit with the canyon in mind. What would you assume my padX and padY would be just based on my body and how would that effect frame size? I think If my saddle could move forward a bit, I had the 165 crank arms (which I can borrow from my son and try), My reach could extend forward some (that is what my fitter wanted but we ran out of adjustment), I would be comfortable with lower pads. If you assume all that is true and I went with a large frame, what would the front end setup look like? Would I need parts that Canyon doesn't sell in the states? Thansk for playing along with my what ifs.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Sweet T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Looking into the sizing data submitted below we wouldn't recommend a medium frame as you will be too stretched on the bike. You are in the bottom end of a Small frame.
The pps data:
height: 168
inseam: 76
forearm: 34
I would personally recommend waiting for a small frame to become available.

Sweet T,
I use a slightly different formula than Canyon and then I massage my results with years of fitting experience and perspective 25 years as a full time triathlon coach and probably some cumin and other spices. I really want you to be confident in this purchase and for you to be completely confident you should have a comprehensive pre-fit done by a fitter who is educated, experienced, and has a dynamic fit bike (gotta check-off all three of those). Those fitters exists in the UK. Short of that you're going to have to bite down on one of your two recomendations and, what's great is, you've got two fairly similar prescriptions between me/here and Cayon/there. Because remember in the exchanges above I said "you could fit on both but I think the Meidum is better".

I took your height and inseam...observed them in my 'Merican perspective first 5'6", 30in inseam... pretty long legs for that height. Then I predicted your Pad Y at ~600mm and Your Pad X at 440-453mm. Then I dropped those numbers into my Canyon Speedmax CFR/SLX prescriber and compared how those coordinates would fall into a small and a medium. You'll fit on both bikes. I chose the Medium because with lower spacers the bike will handle a bit better.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if my question is a bit off topic...
On the 12v Shimano Speedmax disc, there is a small plastic carter under the stem maintained with at least one screw that can be loosened by removing the front wheel. But is there another screw?, because I feel like I have to undo something else, but I'm afraid of pulling too hard....
I ask this question because I have a noise of a hydraulic cable that moves and makes noise when I drive
THANKS
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Eltito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sorry if my question is a bit off topic...
On the 12v Shimano Speedmax disc, there is a small plastic carter under the stem maintained with at least one screw that can be loosened by removing the front wheel. But is there another screw?, because I feel like I have to undo something else, but I'm afraid of pulling too hard....
I ask this question because I have a noise of a hydraulic cable that moves and makes noise when I drive
THANKS

Eltito,
You are off topic but when I can help I will. As it happens... I think I can help here. The "nosecone" is held on by that single screw you've found when you removed the front wheel and then there's a snap or a clip that is at the top of the nosecone. You can simply pull or wiggle-n-pull and it should unsnap from the frame. Watch this video and you'll see how loose it can be and what you'll find inside.

The snap is here:

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Jun 3, 23 15:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at the numbers on canyon website and I agree with your assessment. My concern is my fit was somewhat limited by my current bike. I realize I should get a new fit with the canyon in mind. What would you assume my padX and padY would be just based on my body and how would that effect frame size? I think If my saddle could move forward a bit, I had the 165 crank arms (which I can borrow from my son and try), My reach could extend forward some (that is what my fitter wanted but we ran out of adjustment), I would be comfortable with lower pads. If you assume all that is true and I went with a large frame, what would the front end setup look like? Would I need parts that Canyon doesn't sell in the states? Thansk for playing along with my what ifs.

Larry,
Thanks for coming back with more info - the more I have the better. There are some clues in here that suggest what your ultimate position might be and one of them is your setback is nearly 9cm - even with the shortness/noseless-ness of the ISM that's way far back and you're out on the nose....I'd think you might be out on the nose at a set back of 4-5cm. Anyway... if you had JUST come to me with your height and inseam I would have predicted a Pad Y of 675ish and a Pad X of 470 (to the rear of the pad). My worry/guess is that your Spec'd Trans Comp has a set back post and you and your fitter simply couldn't get the saddle any more forward - you suggested that in your notes. So, if you were able to get the saddle more forward (steeper seat angle) then the whole front-end would go out and down and you'd move from your current Pad Y 740 & Pad X of ~430 (rear) to a Pad Y of 675 and Pad X of 470 (rear of pad). And, as a side note here - now you would make use of the shorter cranks because of the lower pad.

So, with all this in mind and a propable ultimate position of 675/470 you are dead center in the range of a size Large Canyon Speedmax CFR/SLX. In the USA that bike comes out fo the box with a short stem, mid spacer, and medium extension and those are the exact hardware bits you'd need to make that position. ALSO....if your seat height is 793 or higher (and i'll be higher with shorter cranks, it'll work on this bike). Also, if you ride for a while and think... "nope, these pads are too low" then you have the ability to go up nearly 50mm so you'll be safe in your up-down range on this bike. Also... with the short stem you can go out 15mm longer or back 40mm shorter with the same hardware (you can go out far longer with some hardware changes).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [GreenWheel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

I have an additional one for you and much appreciate your support!
I've just ordered a Speedmax SLX in size S and need to confirm cockpit setup to Canyon. I haven't done a fit yet and would tune with a local fitter once I receive the bike.
Height: 174cm
Inseam 80cm
Canyon recommended (also based on forearm length of 35cm) the long version (85mm) with medium extensions, and leaned towards the flat bar.
I currently ride an Ultimate size S (stack 546mm, reach 385mm), which fits me well. However, with the seat in the most forward position, a 90mm stem and Profile Design clip-on bars I can just reach the arm pads on the first setting. Hence, I wonder if the long stem is really the right choice or if I'd still have plenty of options with the short version (65mm) - also allowing to increase aggressiveness of my position over time?
I think I'll also go with the rise bar given I live in hilly terrain.
Would appreciate your take on this to make my decision!

GreenWheel,
We can't really compare your positon on the Ultimate with clip-ons. Even with the saddle fully foward on the rails the seat tube angle of this and all road bikes is appropriately "shallow" and you need to ride steep for triathlon like everybody else who is comfy and fast.

Based on your morphology (long legs for your height) I think your Pad Y is in the neighborhood of 630mm and your Pad X is ~445 and yes your prescription is right: Speedmax size Small with the long stem, mid spacer and medium extensions (and yeah, get the flat bar since you'll probably only use the medium spacer the gap is not that much). Have faith because even with the long stem you'll still have lots of range to bring the arm pads back shorter or out farther to find your perfect spot.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Merci beaucoup Murray
Mon est 12V, avec simplement des cables devant et pas la junction box, mais je pense que c'est le même système. je vais vérifier ce matin

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Désolé si ma question est un peu hors sujet...
Sur le disque Shimano Speedmax 12v, il y a un petit carter en plastique sous la potence maintenu par au moins une vis qui peut être desserrée en retirant la roue avant . Mais y a-t-il une autre vis ?, car j'ai l'impression de devoir dévisser autre chose, mais j'ai peur de tirer trop fort.... Je
pose cette question car j'ai un bruit de câble hydraulique qui bouge et fait du bruit quand Je conduis
MERCI

Eltito,
Tu es hors sujet mais dès que je peux t'aider je le ferai. En l'occurrence... Je pense que je peux aider ici. Le "nez" est maintenu par cette seule vis que vous avez trouvée lorsque vous avez retiré la roue avant, puis il y a un mousqueton ou un clip qui se trouve en haut du nez. Vous pouvez simplement tirer ou remuer et tirer et il devrait se détacher du cadre. Regardez cette vidéo et vous verrez à quel point il peut être lâche et ce que vous trouverez à l'intérieur.

Le snap est ici :

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Thank you for putting my assumptions into words. Can you please explain "ALSO....if your seat height is 793 or higher (and i'll be higher with shorter cranks, it'll work on this bike)." The chart shows a seat height range for the large of 775-895.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your seat height?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thank you for putting my assumptions into words. Can you please explain "ALSO....if your seat height is 793 or higher (and i'll be higher with shorter cranks, it'll work on this bike)." The chart shows a seat height range for the large of 775-895.

It's just math...
In a couple of your posts there was a comment about seat height and a comment about considering shorter cranks. If one is riding with a saddle height of 700 with 170mm cranks and they switch to 160mm cranks then the saddle has to go up to 710 to keep the same knee angle at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
793 with 172.5 cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm looking for my first Triathlon bike. Thanks for helping us all!

About me:
  • 183cm
  • 90cm inseam (short torso)
  • poor hip flexibility

I'm currently on a road bike with clip-on aerobars and ISM saddle slammed forward (seat angle is only 73.5). Not sure if the measurements are still helpful, but here they are:
  • 82cm saddle height (with 165mm cranks)
  • Pad Y 75cm
  • Pad X 40cm

I'm interested in both CF and CF SLX, but I'm worried the SLX won't allow me enough customization for my preferred fit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next